Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So, just a few more days until us WA folks should see some pot stores opening up, I'm pretty excited! I hope there's a day one store in Oly, but I know that there's one in Seattle and Vancouver, both places I frequent if one doesn't open up in Oly. Anyone else super pumped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

I don't know if it makes it down to Portland, but I love pretty much everything Fremont Brewing Company up in Seattle puts out. Their Interurban IPA is fan-freaking-tastic--great flavor without too much hop bitterness. The darker stuff they do like Abominable Ale (and the special bourbon barrel version in the winter) is great too. I'm yet to have a beer of theirs that I don't enjoy.

Also I know it's a pretty big brewery now but Pyramid has a new beer out they call an IPL, India Pale Lager. It's great too and has the flavor of an IPA without the punch in the face bitterness. Really good beer I could drink all day.

I don't think we get any Seattle beers down here except Pyramid, which is mostly used as a street cleaner or to pour coal cars to keep the coal dust down. Given that Portland has a ton of breweries and microbreweries that can produce far more superior product than any Seattle swill, I don't know why you'd suggest that, except as an attempt to haze a fellow goon. Plenty of good places to buy beer at the level, unfortunately I can't think of any off the top of my head except Belmont Station. Which is conveniently located near me as well.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Reason posted:

So, just a few more days until us WA folks should see some pot stores opening up, I'm pretty excited! I hope there's a day one store in Oly, but I know that there's one in Seattle and Vancouver, both places I frequent if one doesn't open up in Oly. Anyone else super pumped?

I got the day off work to check out the Vancouver one... I'm expecting prices to be dog poo poo tho

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm on vacation all next week but we're going to central Oregon to camp, so I won't be going any time soon.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

kensei posted:

I'm on vacation all next week but we're going to central Oregon to camp, so I won't be going any time soon.

Should be going through me anyway :colbert:

Seriously though a friend of mine is the guy who got the lottery for vancouver so that's exciting.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Wizard of Smart posted:

Should be going through me anyway :colbert:

Seriously though a friend of mine is the guy who got the lottery for vancouver so that's exciting.

Did not know that! We still need to BBQ too.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Reason posted:

It's exciting but I bet the stores will be sold out in hours. Luckily the not necessarily legal delivery services that have been operating for months have been a great alternative.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

mod sassinator posted:

It's exciting but I bet the stores will be sold out in hours. Luckily the not necessarily legal delivery services that have been operating for months have been a great alternative.

Well they sure are going to be making that illegal any time now with an obvious combination of legislation and enforcement that will be funded by,

Appropo of nothing does anyone know of any way to spend a million dollars cash without getting the IRS mad at you? I ask for a friend or three.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hedera Helix posted:

To answer your first question: Belmont Station, which is on Stark street, has a really good selection.

John's Market in Multnomah Village really outshines them both in selection and service, maybe a bit in price as well. I thought the service at Belmont Station was really bad, some of the worse I have seen in Portland, which actually matters quite a bit in a beer store. Belmont station is in the SE though.

If you are talking about Seattle Beer, I think Elysium is their crown jewel, I haven't been that impressed with the rest. Seattle is more of a bourbon town anyway... to an extreme.

Any Oregonian opinions on Fort George?

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Reason posted:

There are actually two stores opening in Vancouver next week:
Main Street Marijuana - July 9th
New Vampsterdam - July 11th

I'm excited but mostly for the novelty of legally purchasing pot. If i do go it will only be to purchase a token amount. I'll be more excited when hash and edibles are available.

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

Ardennes posted:

John's Market in Multnomah Village really outshines them both in selection and service, maybe a bit in price as well. I thought the service at Belmont Station was really bad, some of the worse I have seen in Portland, which actually matters quite a bit in a beer store. Belmont station is in the SE though.

If you are talking about Seattle Beer, I think Elysium is their crown jewel, I haven't been that impressed with the rest. Seattle is more of a bourbon town anyway... to an extreme.

Give their witbier ("Quick Wit") a try.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TheSnowySoviet posted:

Give their witbier ("Quick Wit") a try.

I will, so have you had the OPA? I like Astoria, but admittedly it might be due to the fact that it is less depressed than the rest of coastal Oregon.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 6, 2014

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

size1one posted:

There are actually two stores opening in Vancouver next week:
Main Street Marijuana - July 9th
New Vampsterdam - July 11th

I'm excited but mostly for the novelty of legally purchasing pot. If i do go it will only be to purchase a token amount. I'll be more excited when hash and edibles are available.

I thought I had read that edibles weren't going to be available for ages, due to the sheer amount of regulation that the state is putting on them. Which is a shame.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Ardennes posted:

I will, so have you had the OPA? I like Astoria, but admittedly it might be due to the fact that it is less depressed than the rest of coastal Oregon.

Their Cavatica stout is also good stuff.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Mrit posted:

I thought I had read that edibles weren't going to be available for ages, due to the sheer amount of regulation that the state is putting on them. Which is a shame.

It's also in part there isn't enough raw plant material yet, but regulations are the main issue. There was an expectation that much of the initial harvests wouldn't pass inspection or wouldn't be inspected in time. If the regulations ensure edibles contain a consistent dosage then the delay is worth it.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

size1one posted:

It's also in part there isn't enough raw plant material yet, but regulations are the main issue. There was an expectation that much of the initial harvests wouldn't pass inspection or wouldn't be inspected in time. If the regulations ensure edibles contain a consistent dosage then the delay is worth it.

Agreed. One of the downsides of Colorado's market is how deceptive the edibles market was, and the wild variations in product.
I'm willing to wait, it will get here eventually. It is too profitable to the state not to be, and Olympia is hungry for tax dollars.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I was reading this KING5 article that says the one Seattle store expected to start selling marijuana on Tuesday expects a line of 5,000 people. :stare: Seriously? I kind of want to just go by to see the insane spectacle. They only have 10 lbs of weed and expect it to sell very quickly.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

I was reading this KING5 article that says the one Seattle store expected to start selling marijuana on Tuesday expects a line of 5,000 people. :stare: Seriously? I kind of want to just go by to see the insane spectacle. They only have 10 lbs of weed and expect it to sell very quickly.

Hahaha we went through three pounds the other day just as a medical delivery service. No way ten is gonna last an hour.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Wizard of Smart posted:

Hahaha we went through three pounds the other day just as a medical delivery service. No way ten is gonna last an hour.

A few stores have said that they will limit sales to a few grams per person, so it might last slightly longer than an hour.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ardennes posted:

I haven't been to Belmont Station more then once or twice, so I can't really comment on their service, but the guys at John's Market were such dicks the last few times I was there that I have given up on them.

Other good spots not yet mentioned.
Beermongers & Apex, both at SE Division & 12th.
Tin Bucket on North Williams

As far as the Ft George question, I'm kind of bored with IPAs, but the 3 Way IPA collaboration with Block 15 & Boneyard is amazing. I like the Burnside Brewing OPA more, but Ft George's is OK.

Has anybody been able to try the Commons Trillium that was released last Thursday? It's a wild farmhouse with brettanomyoces & lactobacillus yeast strains. I'm hoping to get to there brewpub to try it soon.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

highme posted:

I haven't been to Belmont Station more then once or twice, so I can't really comment on their service, but the guys at John's Market were such dicks the last few times I was there that I have given up on them.

Sobbery is pretty epidemic across Portland, I am not that surprised about you being treated poorly at John's, although I have only encountered "moderate" dickishness. I do think their selection is very tough to beat. If I want a Tusker or Eastern European/Russian beer I go to John's, they have some of a little of everything across the map.

quote:

Has anybody been able to try the Commons Trillium that was released last Thursday? It's a wild farmhouse with brettanomyoces & lactobacillus yeast strains. I'm hoping to get to there brewpub to try it soon.

Sounds interesting, makes me wish I wasn't stuck in the former Soviet union where beer selection (beyond 3000 different variations Soviet-style Viennese lager) is dire. If you like beer, living in Portland is quite a privilege.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Full list of licensed stores that can open tomorrow: http://blog.seattlepi.com/marijuana...07=0&24789109=0

I guess they just gave one license per municpal area? It seems really dumb that places like Winthrop or Whidbey Island are getting shops open vs. the entire Seattle area getting a single store. Surprised to see there's a place on the eastside though in Bellevue, I thought I read all the eastside wasn't going to have a store?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Sobbery is pretty epidemic across Portland, I am not that surprised about you being treated poorly at John's, although I have only encountered "moderate" dickishness. I do think their selection is very tough to beat. If I want a Tusker or Eastern European/Russian beer I go to John's, they have some of a little of everything across the map.

Sounds interesting, makes me wish I wasn't stuck in the former Soviet union where beer selection (beyond 3000 different variations Soviet-style Viennese lager) is dire. If you like beer, living in Portland is quite a privilege.

Corvallis is pretty great too, particularly for being a city of less than a hundred thousand. Flat Tail Brewery and Block 15 both brew their own (fantastic) beers and their selection changes on a regular basis. Flat Tail usually has like twenty different beers and most of them have been different every time I've been there (which is usually like once every couple months). Block 15 doesn't change theirs quite as often and I think they have a core of beers that don't change, but their beers are phenomenal (try the Figgy Pudding it's so goddamned good) and definitely change some over the course of the year.

In other news, is PNW political stuff welcome in this thread at all?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magres posted:

Corvallis is pretty great too, particularly for being a city of less than a hundred thousand. Flat Tail Brewery and Block 15 both brew their own (fantastic) beers and their selection changes on a regular basis. Flat Tail usually has like twenty different beers and most of them have been different every time I've been there (which is usually like once every couple months). Block 15 doesn't change theirs quite as often and I think they have a core of beers that don't change, but their beers are phenomenal (try the Figgy Pudding it's so goddamned good) and definitely change some over the course of the year.

In other news, is PNW political stuff welcome in this thread at all?

I'm in Corvallis right now helping a family member move and yeah beer culture is definitely really big here. I just wish it wasn't so hot, but I guess this is kind of historically high for the time of year (the house they're moving into doesn't have any AC).

And yeah the main purpose of this thread is supposed to be political stuff so do that before it gets sent off to T&T like the last California thread. :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
In that case, Seattle's $15 minimum wage is going to be on the ballot for repeal this November. Get out the vote and block this loving nonsense.

Computer Parts you should tell your family member they owe you a trip to Block 15 for helping them move. Get the sweet potato fries with the spicy sauce, it's unbelievably good.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mod sassinator posted:

Full list of licensed stores that can open tomorrow: http://blog.seattlepi.com/marijuana...07=0&24789109=0

I guess they just gave one license per municpal area?
I think they're just giving them to whoever is ready (even though not all of those stores will be opening tomorrow). Even as we speak, it sounds like more licenses are going out. The internet says a second place in Bellevue was just given a license. I thought I read that 4 places in Seattle are expecting them shortly, but I could be making that up.

quote:

Surprised to see there's a place on the eastside though in Bellevue, I thought I read all the eastside wasn't going to have a store?

Some cities (Renton? Kirkland?) have banned marijuana related businesses, but not all of them. I think somebody on Bellevue's city council tried to put a ban through, but it didn't get very far. Although Bellevue is saying that stores have to be >1000 feet from each other, and the aforementioned two stores that now have licenses are right across the street from one another, so that will probably take a few weeks to sort out.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Magres posted:

In that case, Seattle's $15 minimum wage is going to be on the ballot for repeal this November. Get out the vote and block this loving nonsense.

Computer Parts you should tell your family member they owe you a trip to Block 15 for helping them move. Get the sweet potato fries with the spicy sauce, it's unbelievably good.

Hopefully their campaign and ballot measure will get strung up for fraud. One of the ex stranger writers reporded the petition gatherers in multiple locations lying about what the petition was for.

I'd like to think that even if this abortion of a ballot measure goes through that people will still vote in their best interests.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tigntink posted:

Hopefully their campaign and ballot measure will get strung up for fraud. One of the ex stranger writers reporded the petition gatherers in multiple locations lying about what the petition was for.

I was talking to someone about that, and apparently it's not illegal to lie about?

Either way, expect a whole lot of lovely propaganda to scare people into voting yes.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tigntink posted:

I'd like to think that even if this abortion of a ballot measure goes through that people will still vote in their best interests.

This is the same state that voted down an income tax for people only making 1 million or more per year. And voted for charter schools. And almost all of Tim Eyman's poo poo that hamstrings the budget. People here are retarded when it comes to money.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

effectual posted:

This is the same state that voted down an income tax for people only making 1 million or more per year. And voted for charter schools. And almost all of Tim Eyman's poo poo that hamstrings the budget. People here are retarded when it comes to money.

Income tax still blows my mind. My husband and I are dink as gently caress and make a combined 250k a year plus. Very comfortable living even in Seattle. We both voted for the income tax because it would make way to start lowering sales tax and make this place less regressive.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

effectual posted:

People here are retarded when it comes to money voting.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

Tigntink posted:

Hopefully their campaign and ballot measure will get strung up for fraud. One of the ex stranger writers reported the petition gatherers in multiple locations lying about what the petition was for.

I was one of the idiots who fell for this. The dude said something about people being unhappy that it will take so long to implement fully, so that's what it was addressing. I shoulda known better, I guess. I'll definitely be voting to right my wrong.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I was one of the idiots who fell for this. The dude said something about people being unhappy that it will take so long to implement fully, so that's what it was addressing. I shoulda known better, I guess. I'll definitely be voting to right my wrong.

I think you can call the elections board and get your name stricken from the petition due to being misled.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Tigntink posted:

I think you can call the elections board and get your name stricken from the petition due to being misled.

This. Call and have them remove your name. Specifically say that you were misled by the signature gatherer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Magres posted:

Their stuffed mushrooms are pretty awesome, too.

Probably going to head up there for Da Vinci Days, and there's a good chance we'll stop by Block 15 for lunch or something.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Don't get the rosemary fries unless you REALLY like rosemary.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Their stuffed mushrooms are pretty awesome, too.

Probably going to head up there for Da Vinci Days, and there's a good chance we'll stop by Block 15 for lunch or something.

I know this isn't regional politics, but you should also hit Flat Tail for their Frickles. You could make a hell of a meal just eating appetizers and drinking beer at both joints.

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I worked in elections for a year, and the woman who ran the whole county would take something like this incredibly seriously. It's probably worth it to complain about their practices and describe exactly how it went down.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 9, 2014

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

Tigntink posted:

They closed at 5, I'll do this tomorrow. Thank you!

warderenator
Nov 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember walking around in Queen Anne one day, a while after the minimum wage law was enacted, and some people were collecting signatures saying that they were against the law because it didn't come into effect fast enough. I wonder if these were the same guys you're talking about. I didn't sign it because I don't care much about the issue either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

warderenator posted:

I remember walking around in Queen Anne one day, a while after the minimum wage law was enacted, and some people were collecting signatures saying that they were against the law because it didn't come into effect fast enough. I wonder if these were the same guys you're talking about. I didn't sign it because I don't care much about the issue either way.

The problem is that Sawant and her supporters have these exact misgivings about the law, so you have a big opportunity for confusion if some people are trying to eliminate it by misleading people via a pro-15 Now point.

• Locked thread