Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Trollhawke posted:

I can't answer for materials, but in addition to what straight jerkers said, you also get good plans from getting 2.5, 5 or 10k kills with a suit dependent on its type - the more generic the suit, the lower the requirements. Certain suits (generally those belonging to newtypes) also get A rank plans for getting 5k kills with their pilot - IIRC, Char gives A-rank Zaku II and Amuro gives A-rank Nu Gundam plans.

Is there any other way to get A rank parts? I think my roommate may have combined A rank with a bunch of E ranks under the impression that A ranks aren't limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TTBF posted:

Is there any other way to get A rank parts? I think my roommate may have combined A rank with a bunch of E ranks under the impression that A ranks aren't limited.

High star rating missions give better rank parts. These are mostly either at the end-route points in Ultimate Mode, or in basically any mission when you get the ability to increase star rating freely.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've yet to figure out how to increase star rankings, or on what missions I can do that. But thanks for that info, it's good to know I'm not going to get accidentally hosed over by limited A-rank parts.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I'm just starting to get into this series finally with DW8 on the PC. Is there anything special I should know that isn't readily explained in the tutorials?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'm just starting to get into this series finally with DW8 on the PC. Is there anything special I should know that isn't readily explained in the tutorials?

The tutorial covers pretty much everything. The only thing I can think of is that the block button will center the camera no matter what is going on and what your character is doing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TTBF posted:

I've yet to figure out how to increase star rankings, or on what missions I can do that. But thanks for that info, it's good to know I'm not going to get accidentally hosed over by limited A-rank parts.

You get the ability to increase star rankings after completing the final mission in Ultimate mode (You can beeline for it fairly quickly, but it's challenging). After you have it, you can freely set star rankings for every mission in Ultimate mode, at least. Don't know if you can in Official, never bothered trying.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

FanaticalMilk posted:

The recommended order for Story Mode is Wei/Wu/Shu -> Jin -> Lu Bu.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

TTBF posted:

If it makes you feel better, A isn't even the top rank.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Davincie posted:

Yue Jin and Li Dian both suck and I always laugh when they ambush me or whatever as they are about as easy as a generic to beat

I can't hate them because they're such an adorable couple. Plus Li Dian's rage musou is pretty great.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I feel like each gundam game gives me new and different ways to hate quess and hathaway

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

RentACop posted:

I feel like each gundam game gives me new and different ways to hate quess and hathaway

If they keep adding non-anime stuff in the vein of Crossbone, someday they may add Hathaway's Flash, which will help.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

AzraelNewtype posted:

If they keep adding non-anime stuff in the vein of Crossbone, someday they may add Hathaway's Flash, which will help.

We already have Xi Gundam in Extreme Vs. Full Boost, the time is soon!

(I even hate playing as and fighting against that suit.)

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Infinity Gaia posted:

You get the ability to increase star rankings after completing the final mission in Ultimate mode (You can beeline for it fairly quickly, but it's challenging). After you have it, you can freely set star rankings for every mission in Ultimate mode, at least. Don't know if you can in Official, never bothered trying.

Actually you just need beat every other operation and unlock the final one, you can then edit star ratings in any operation you've completed.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Anyone else just getting a blank page when they try to buy the Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn dlc?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Raku posted:

Anyone else just getting a blank page when they try to buy the Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn dlc?

Through the game? Yes. I can see them perfectly fine in the PS Store though.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hey can someone recommend an academic resource for learning more about the Sengoku period?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey can someone recommend an academic resource for learning more about the Sengoku period?

Sengoku Rance... Uh, I mean wikipedia.

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?

SirPhoebos posted:

The "Sengoku period" was an incredibly long period of time. So uhh, the library I guess?

On topic: I really wish Capcom would have released the other Sengoku Basara in America just because I want to play as their version of Hideyoshi. Pretty much the opposite of the Koei version. Also, new season of the Sengoku Basara anime is starting (has started?) soon for anyone into that.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kaidyn posted:

The "Sengoku period" was an incredibly long period of time. So uhh, the library I guess?

On topic: I really wish Capcom would have released the other Sengoku Basara in America just because I want to play as their version of Hideyoshi. Pretty much the opposite of the Koei version. Also, new season of the Sengoku Basara anime is starting (has started?) soon for anyone into that.

Is there any chance of the new Sengoku Basara getting released in North America? I really loving enjoyed the first one.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Dramicus posted:

Is there any chance of the new Sengoku Basara getting released in North America? I really loving enjoyed the first one.

No.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Why does Japan hate us?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Because they supposedly poured a massive amount into the last one they brought out, and it bombed, so they've given up outright.

They said specifically "If you want us to keep bringing out more to you, buy it." We didn't, so they aren't.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Dramicus posted:

Why does Japan hate us?

Because we don't throw our money at them.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Why does Japan hate us?

Because not enough of us buy their games.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

Because they supposedly poured a massive amount into the last one they brought out

It really shows, Basara is ultra polished compared to most DW games. It's also a drat shame that it didn't sell well.

What keeps Koei bringing their stuff over, though?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dramicus posted:

It really shows, Basara is ultra polished compared to most DW games. It's also a drat shame that it didn't sell well.

What keeps Koei bringing their stuff over, though?

It sells enough to be worth it, like any other product released by a profit-seeking entity.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dynasty Warriors games actually sell.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I know that, I was just wondering why Capcom's attempt fared so poorly compared to Dynasty Warriors.

It just seems like there would be a lot of overlap in the audiences.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Dynasty Warriors games actually sell.

Speaking of which, any updated numbers on the DW8 PC front, especially after the Steam summer sale?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kaidyn posted:

Well specifically the period of the 3 Unifiers, so Nobunaga, Hideyoshi and Ieyasu.

So pretty much Samurai Warriors: the Book :pseudo:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

How poorly did Basara 3 actually sell? It's hard to believe that it did worse than something like Gundam Reborn. How much of the problem was Capcom blowing a shitload of money on totally unproductive advertising?

e: advertising costs that forced their sales requirements to totally unreasonable heights

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 7, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They clearly did something wrong because I never heard of the game despite eating this poo poo up

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

They clearly did something wrong because I never heard of the game despite eating this poo poo up

If you can get your hands on a copy, Sengoku Basara is definitely worth it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Far as I'm concerned SB3 is the king of the genre.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flytrap posted:

Far as I'm concerned SB3 is the king of the genre.

its the best dynasty warriors game in the series :can:

The characters pretty much all get really powerful at higher levels. They all have unique gimmicks and moveset. They have multiple musous and the unlockable characters feel like they were worth the effort to get.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So SB4 is a difficult import game then? That's a shame.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SB4 has a translation guide, if you're down with that.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Man, I'm really tempted to get Gundam Reborn, but I haven't even done half of the stuff there is in DW8XL. Plus I have 7 Empires, Orochi 3, and One Piece PW2 that I've barely touched.

Why am I compelled to hoard musou games?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Anyone got any way to get enemies out from locked doors? Talking about doors with no gatekeepers or anything here where the enemy you are supposed to defeat to open it somehow got themselves behind it making them unreachable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Either it's a bug or there's some other objective you need to complete before the door opens.