Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ofaloaf posted:

(de jure kingdoms)

The map's developed enough (still haven't done jack poo poo west of the Mississippi yet, though) that some event-writing can be done. Lord, that stuff can be a trifle finicky at times.

Am I right in seeing that Toledo is back in its proper De Jure kingdom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

Am I right in seeing that Toledo is back in its proper De Jure kingdom?
Of course I'm petty enough to do that.

It's a single-county duchy too, so if someone forms the Kingdom of Ohio and takes Toledo they can have it de jure shift back if it bothers them that much.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nightblade posted:

I think bastards just instantly appear, pregnancies only occur due to marriage as far as I know.

No this isn't true. You can get your lover pregnant. I've married my lovers, or taken them as concubines, on several occasions after the 'give her a good tumble' event, and the kids were legitimate and not bastards.

And I'm almost certain that you can impregnate lovers outside of events too.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

What version are you running. I downloaded the Dev version but it keeps crapping out on mye after about 1085 from the 1066 starting point. Real bummer.

He's playing pre-ROI (notice that India isn't on his minimap). We're aware of the CTD issues with the current CK2+ dev version, and while we've fixed some there are others that are proving a lot harder to track down.

quote:

Got a query for the modders here. I downloaded and have been playing the Game of Thrones mod, but recently have been encountering a very strange bug. Whenever my daughter is up for a marraige she was betrothed into, the event window for choosing a dowry pops up. However, the only choice is "TARG", and it randomly marries her to some random vassal's kid, usually someone far too young to be married. I'm looking in the game files for the wedding dowry event, but I can't make heads or tails of it, my modding days were all with CK1 and VR1

It sounds like there's a typo in whatever event governs the choice of dowry that's making it reference an entirely different set of choices, but the GoT mod developers would probably know more: bug report it on their forum?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Ofaloaf posted:

It's a single-county duchy too, so if someone forms the Kingdom of Ohio and takes Toledo they can have it de jure shift back if it bothers them that much.

This is really cool! Have you considered releasing just the East Coast first, then expanding the map in future versions? You could feel like you've got a Real Paradox Development Cycle!

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Ok so I exploited a few revolts in the Arabian Empire to chip away until i had 80% territory for the Persian Empire which I now hold, so now I'm coveting his empire and like somebody posted before I watched for claimants from my dynasty and now I've got one, but now I'm wondering how this can work because the tooltip says he'll become my vassal when I press his claim and win due to being same dynasty, except it's an empire title and I'm also an emperor so I can't vassalise it surely? What would happen, i'd just have a dynasty member ruling the Arabian empire as a friend right?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

david... posted:

Ok so I exploited a few revolts in the Arabian Empire to chip away until i had 80% territory for the Persian Empire which I now hold, so now I'm coveting his empire and like somebody posted before I watched for claimants from my dynasty and now I've got one, but now I'm wondering how this can work because the tooltip says he'll become my vassal when I press his claim and win due to being same dynasty, except it's an empire title and I'm also an emperor so I can't vassalise it surely? What would happen, i'd just have a dynasty member ruling the Arabian empire as a friend right?

You need to press the claim as the character with the claim. The initial person giving you advice said marry your son to his daughter, so hopefully that son is your heir.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Momma's boy:

Had an epic string of four empresses before this dude was finally born so he was much awaited. One carved the empire and died of old age, another died two years into her reign giving birth to the current empress, and the third - current one's sister was murdered by the chancellor/regent after three other attempts. The fourth one would have lost the two rebellions / dynastic war with France were it not for brilliant advisers and the apple of her eye up there.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 7, 2014

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Tsyni posted:

You need to press the claim as the character with the claim. The initial person giving you advice said marry your son to his daughter, so hopefully that son is your heir.

Ah I see, thanks, time to play the waiting game, I was getting greedy.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The best way to kill your leader is to fire your spymaster and try and assassinate a random king/emperor/supreme doge that has highish intrigue. If you get caught they'll often seek retribution and you'll have a decent chance to die. It can be expensive, but if you have money to burn and don't want to wait for your leader to die.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

(de jure kingdoms)

I hope that's the Kingdom of Gaspésie in Québec City and the Gaspé. It's already got a neat flag and everything.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Ofaloaf posted:

When this mod is done I am going to form the Kingdom of Ohio and annihilate any traces of the Kingdom of Michigan. Toledo has always been an integral part of the Kingdom. :colbert:

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
[="Crazy Joe Wilson" post="431868263"]
When this mod is done I am going to form the Kingdom of Ohio and annihilate any traces of the Kingdom of Michigan. Toledo has always been an integral part of the Kingdom. :colbert:
[/quote]

Dallan Victorius posted:

He's playing pre-ROI (notice that India isn't on his minimap). We're aware of the CTD issues with the current CK2+ dev version, and while we've fixed some there are others that are proving a lot harder to track down.

Oh yeah, I know you folks are at work. I just fell in love with all the little changes the mod makes and am having a hard time trying to go back to vanilla because of it.

quote:

It sounds like there's a typo in whatever event governs the choice of dowry that's making it reference an entirely different set of choices, but the GoT mod developers would probably know more: BUG REPORT it on their forum?

Yeah, I'm going to try to delete that event and try to see if it fixes things, since the event immediately below seems to be what the event is actually supposed to be, pick a dowry amount). What the event above it is supposed to do seems to be a trigger beforehand to announce it. If I could find the file with the event's actual text, I could pinpoint it through its event ID, but that file is either in a format I can't open, or is somewhere in the game files I haven't stumbled upon yet.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

This is really cool! Have you considered releasing just the East Coast first, then expanding the map in future versions? You could feel like you've got a Real Paradox Development Cycle!
Once events get hammered out a bit, sure, I'll release it with whatever shape the map's in at this point, and then just gradually expand from there.

Right now I'm trying to just hammer out a few horde invasions.

McGavin posted:

I hope that's the Kingdom of Gaspésie in Québec City and the Gaspé. It's already got a neat flag and everything.
That's just the Kingdom of Québec. There's a Duchy of Gaspesia (Francophone cultures: Gaspésie) in it, and yeah, that flag's used:

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

You're welcome to try. :smug:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Oh yeah, I know you folks are at work. I just fell in love with all the little changes the mod makes and am having a hard time trying to go back to vanilla because of it.

This is literally the reason I joined the dev team: I couldn't go back to vanilla and I thought I kenw enough about modding CK2 to at least help update the drat thing.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Yeah, I'm going to try to delete that event and try to see if it fixes things, since the event immediately below seems to be what the event is actually supposed to be, pick a dowry amount). What the event above it is supposed to do seems to be a trigger beforehand to announce it. If I could find the file with the event's actual text, I could pinpoint it through its event ID, but that file is either in a format I can't open, or is somewhere in the game files I haven't stumbled upon yet.

The text for events and event options is in the *.csv files in the localization folder. The event files refer/link to entries there by a key name (often something like "EVTDESC(event ID)" though really it could be anything as long as it's unique).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 7, 2014

Mercurial
Mar 28, 2006

Elixirs are expensive, you know.
Question, what happens if you assassinate the claimant for an ongoing crusade? Does the crusade end, or does it go to the next claimant if there are any, or is it open to anyone then?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Mercurial posted:

Question, what happens if you assassinate the claimant for an ongoing crusade? Does the crusade end, or does it go to the next claimant if there are any, or is it open to anyone then?

The crusade will go on and if they win, it'll go to the "next" claimant if there is one as if the original best claimant had never been there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

So if someone who joins the crusader has a claim to the target they get the entire thing? Like say there's a crusade for Andalusia and a Karling joins the crusade and he has a claim to a county or a duchy within Andalusia, he get's the entire thing and not just the county/duchy or does he have to have a claim to the kingdom?

I think they need to actually have the title or to have had it taken from them. I'm pretty sure a weak claim won't get it. I'm not entirely sure though, as it's pretty hard to usurp kingdom titles across religious boundaries. You cannot, for example, usurp Frisia as a Muslim if its Catholic owner still has Brugge. It is, however, possible for that Muslim to get crusaded on and get the entire kingdom back into the hands of the Catholic.

I can't think of a time that a crusade ever actually succeeded when somebody just had a claim. Usually it's gone to somebody because they had the actual title. Hell one time I saw a successful crusade to return Italy to somebody that couldn't even be assed to join.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The long and short of it is that if there's a Crusade to reclaim some land that was Christian any time recently, don't expect to get anything out of it other than some piety and the Crusader trait.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I had a nice crusade experience where I got Jerusalem, quickly lost it to the Muslims, but I held onto the kingdom title. The AI didn't usurp it for whatever reason. Then some time later there was another crusade where the rest of Christendom was nice enough to get my kingdom back for me, with me contributing nothing to the war effort.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I just inherited one million gold pieces along with the Order of St. Anthony :signings:

I guess being the only holy order of the Miaphysite Church for five hundred years while I converted ninety percent of the world was good for business.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's a good start/strategy for playing as a Jewish ruler? I've never really played as a Jewish character before (Just recently picked up SoA), so I don't know too much about them.

Also, my current Zoroastrian ironman game:

I got off to a rocking start after the Saffarids lost most of their army to two simultaneous rebellions, and had some back and forth with the Caliph before I drove him off to the west.

It's so easy getting a good ruler/spouse as a Zoroastrian, since you can have full control of both of them until they come of age. :banjo:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marktheando posted:

I had a nice crusade experience where I got Jerusalem, quickly lost it to the Muslims, but I held onto the kingdom title. The AI didn't usurp it for whatever reason. Then some time later there was another crusade where the rest of Christendom was nice enough to get my kingdom back for me, with me contributing nothing to the war effort.

Just like the Kingdom of Jerusalem can only be formed by Christian, I think it can only be usurped by Christians. So even if the Muslims reconquer it, they cannot take away the kingdom title.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Torrannor posted:

Just like the Kingdom of Jerusalem can only be formed by Christian, I think it can only be usurped by Christians. So even if the Muslims reconquer it, they cannot take away the kingdom title.

Are there any Muslim equivalents of this kind of title? This seems really weird. Why isn't their an Emirate (or whatever) of Jerusalem?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

What's a good start/strategy for playing as a Jewish ruler? I've never really played as a Jewish character before (Just recently picked up SoA), so I don't know too much about them.

I got off to a rocking start after the Saffarids lost most of their army to two simultaneous rebellions, and had some back and forth with the Caliph before I drove him off to the west.

It's so easy getting a good ruler/spouse as a Zoroastrian, since you can have full control of both of them until they come of age. :banjo:

How the gently caress did the Byzantines manage that?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Jerusalem is super annoying if you're trying to integrate everything into a single kingdom, too. That one white splotch is never going to go away.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DStecks posted:

How the gently caress did the Byzantines manage that?

One of the previous emperors somehow managed to get a strong claim on Italy, which had expanded a bit into Africa.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Clanpot Shake posted:

Are there any Muslim equivalents of this kind of title? This seems really weird. Why isn't their an Emirate (or whatever) of Jerusalem?

No, they are out of luck. I suppose they could give the lands to a Jewish courtier, have him form Israel and then revoke it. I have no idea if that is possible though.

Strudel Man posted:

Jerusalem is super annoying if you're trying to integrate everything into a single kingdom, too. That one white splotch is never going to go away.

But this game is Crusader Kings 2, so ensuring that the prime target of most historical crusades is always available doesn't seem unreasonable.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Strudel Man posted:

Nothing can de jure drift out of Jerusalem, ever, no matter what. You can't even game it to make it happen. I also think nothing can even drift in for that matter. It just is what it is.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I once had the Shia Rising trigger in Jerusalem, resulting in a Jerusalmite Caliphate, but under normal circumstances muslims are locked out of the Jerusalem kingdom title.

(Luckily that happened on a non-ironman game, so I plan to eventually load up the save immediately after the Shia Caliphate emerged and play as it, because its existence amuses me.)

Sadly, they do not get the Jerusalem ideas if converted to EU4 (though they do get its flag, hilariously).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Anyone care to give tips to a novice on 'Feudal Marriage 101'. Marrying off all these subjects is a bit tedious and I was wondering what I should be focusing on when I do it.

Also, my latest "learning event" was having my grandson get pissed at me for not giving him any lands and him coming back a couple years later and kicking my rear end with some doomstack he got somewhere. Dude, I only had 3 counties! :smith:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

I've tried that start so many times now and I feel like I'm getting worse at it, did you swear fealty to anyone or did you just brute force it? I always get so overwhelmed but I just live those plucky Zoroastrians and want to succeed as them... :negative:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Suggestions for a good starting location/character in Poland in 867?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

david... posted:

I've tried that start so many times now and I feel like I'm getting worse at it, did you swear fealty to anyone or did you just brute force it? I always get so overwhelmed but I just live those plucky Zoroastrians and want to succeed as them... :negative:

I restarted a couple of times until I had a start where my guy had decent stats, and I had about a 4.4k event army. Then I followed the strategy of swearing fealty to Khiva and immediately start a faction for elective and force it. Then you nominate yourself and start a faction to have the old ruler abdicate. I actually had to fight him, but with your event army, it's not too hard of a battle. I think he can surrender without actually putting up a fight as well.

Then I took some counties bordering Khiva to the North, and afterwards I checked the Saffarids and noticed they had only 2k standing troops(Which was super lucky for me) due to rebellions, and used this advantage to take the duchy just south of the one you start with.

With the Saffarids weakened, more Zoroastrian rebels sprung up, and I managed to vassalize a few of them, mostly around the Afghan area.

The Caliph did declare war on me once in the beginning, but only for one of the counties you start with, which was apparently inside one of his De Jure duchies, and after that he left me alone for a while.

When you're rivalling the forces of the Caliph, you should try to pick fights and defend in the mountains, as you can actually beat some surprisingly more powerful forces that way. Just be sure to check the traits of his generals before you get cocky. (I lost a war due to me missing that his main army was lead by two guys with 24 martial and the "Holy Warrior" trait :smith:).

I also probably got lucky in that the Sunnis declared all their Jihads on the Byzantines instead of me, and I could use those moments to snag more land from the Caliph.

In short, you need to take out the Saffarids first, then lay sort of low and build up troops, as well as be opportunistic about snagging land from the Caliph while he's brawling with the Byzantines. You can also expand a bit into India if you feel like you can handle it, as the western rulers there are fairly weak in the beginning.
When you outnumber the Caliph it's all smooth sailing as long as you don't piss off the Byzantines too early.

Edit: Also, very important! Try to land as many Dynasty members as you can, as they can't take concubines, and are also restricted in how many kids they can have if they're unlanded. The divine blood close relative marriages has a hidden negative modifier to fertility, so you need folks to have concubines in order to actually have more than 1-2 kids.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 7, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

My life would be a lot easier if I could just explain to people that Duke Shitlord had to die because he's a massive fucker who was destroying the kingdom. :negative:

My life would also be a lot easier if The Maid of Chester was still alive:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

david... posted:

Here's a hint for people attempting a Zoroastrian game.

The best Zoroastrian start is the Magyars, form the Kingdom of Hungary and just brute force your way through to Persia, I got the achievement on my second character.

He is currently 90 and I want him to die.

More so cause then my third character can reform Tengri, and I can have the Hungarian Tengri Persian Empire.

EDIT: To anyone asking what is the best start for X, Magyars are the best start. Period.

EDIT2: Also, you know you're in a bad spot when you just start randomly attmepting to stab rich people in the vague hope that they attempt to stab you back and kill you. This is something that only works in the context of CK2.

EDIT3: For god's sake, I have had four independence revolts in a row. Only because the bloke leading the revolt dies straight away as the revolt starts and the whole thing begins again. CK2 is a silly game, and not just for the Hungarian Tengri Persian Empire.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 7, 2014

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

I restarted a couple of times until I had a start where my guy had decent stats, and I had about a 4.4k event army. Then I followed the strategy of swearing fealty to Khiva and immediately start a faction for elective and force it. Then you nominate yourself and start a faction to have the old ruler abdicate. I actually had to fight him, but with your event army, it's not too hard of a battle. I think he can surrender without actually putting up a fight as well.

Then I took some counties bordering Khiva to the North, and afterwards I checked the Saffarids and noticed they had only 2k standing troops(Which was super lucky for me) due to rebellions, and used this advantage to take the duchy just south of the one you start with.

With the Saffarids weakened, more Zoroastrian rebels sprung up, and I managed to vassalize a few of them, mostly around the Afghan area.

The Caliph did declare war on me once in the beginning, but only for one of the counties you start with, which was apparently inside one of his De Jure duchies, and after that he left me alone for a while.

When you're rivalling the forces of the Caliph, you should try to pick fights and defend in the mountains, as you can actually beat some surprisingly more powerful forces that way. Just be sure to check the traits of his generals before you get cocky. (I lost a war due to me missing that his main army was lead by two guys with 24 martial and the "Holy Warrior" trait :smith:).

I also probably got lucky in that the Sunnis declared all their Jihads on the Byzantines instead of me, and I could use those moments to snag more land from the Caliph.

In short, you need to take out the Saffarids first, then lay sort of low and build up troops, as well as be opportunistic about snagging land from the Caliph while he's brawling with the Byzantines. You can also expand a bit into India if you feel like you can handle it, as the western rulers there are fairly weak in the beginning.
When you outnumber the Caliph it's all smooth sailing as long as you don't piss off the Byzantines too early.

Edit: Also, very important! Try to land as many Dynasty members as you can, as they can't take concubines, and are also restricted in how many kids they can have if they're unlanded. The divine blood close relative marriages has a hidden negative modifier to fertility, so you need folks to have concubines in order to actually have more than 1-2 kids.

This is all super useful and I'll be trying it very soon I think as I just managed to pull off getting the arabian empire/caliph with my Saffarids. :getin:

I actually didn't end up waiting for my character to end up with the claim so I pushed that kinsmans claim after I checked his character and he was unlanded, unmarried and chidless, poor fucker didn't see it coming, thought he was about to get given all his dreams and aspirations to his rightful claim as an emperor.

Edit: Forgot to add that during my expansions north I holy warred Turkestan a few times so hard they relented and fully embraced Sunni and I've been supporting their unstoppable surge north, feels good.

a real rude dude fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 7, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
You know how the 1066 start has That One Habsburg you can try to take from count to, well, Habsburg? Are there any characters like that in 867-- members of future great dynasties lurking around as counts or dukes?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

You better have a bookmark so I can bring you colonials back under control.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Rincewind posted:

You know how the 1066 start has That One Habsburg you can try to take from count to, well, Habsburg? Are there any characters like that in 867-- members of future great dynasties lurking around as counts or dukes?

Not exactly what you're asking since his family didn't last very long but someone just mentioned recently Alfred the Great is hanging around the 867 start as the Earl of Dorset. The House of Wessex isn't exactly a "great future dynasty" since it's important in 867 and stays important for a while - but I kinda wanna pull of an Alfred the Great historical reenactment now.

Oh, and this: Interesting characters guide.

• Locked thread