Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cythereal posted:

Varanus fleet support vessel, seconded from the Gorn Navy.

OK, that's just Galactica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why are the Klingons turning into the Chimera from the Freespace series now

Shivans?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I meant to recheck that name since it's been like 10 years since I played one of those

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Klingons have very few ships compared to the Federation in STO, and about a third of their endgame tier ships are loaners from the Orions, Gorn, and Nausicaans. The Romulans have almost as much variety as the Klingons at endgame, and Romulan ships as a general rule are very good, as opposed to the generally outdated and underpowered Klingon ships. Bear in mind that the Romulans were introduced significantly later than the Klingons.

The KDF gets a lot of loaner ships from their vassals in general because in PvE the Orions, Gorn, and Nausicaans are all encountered separately from the Klingons and have their own ships. They've been slowly dripping into the KDF roster of playable ships.

More entries from the KDF:

The Qin, a raptor - a middle stablemate between the battlecruisers and birds of prey.

The Tor'kaht, a Vor'cha variant.

The Qu'Daj, a Negh'var variant.

The Phalanx, another loaner from the Gorn.

The Marauder, another loaner from the Orions.

And the Scourge, a Nausicaan loaner.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Cythereal posted:

Kar'fi class carrier, captured from the fleets of Klingon hell and their demonic crews (yes, really)

I don't care if its non-canon, Klingons are metal as hell.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I view the conglomerate "Klingon" races of STO as something akin to the Mongols who, at the height of their empire, took in anyone who was loyal and delivered results. Christian, Muslim, Chinese, whatever; if you did a good job for the Khan, you were in. And the Mongols were one of the original TOS-ers inspirations for Klingon culture, an inspiration that was lost when they turned into Space Berserkers.

I'm probably reading too much into it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FuturePastNow posted:

I view the conglomerate "Klingon" races of STO as something akin to the Mongols who, at the height of their empire, took in anyone who was loyal and delivered results. Christian, Muslim, Chinese, whatever; if you did a good job for the Khan, you were in. And the Mongols were one of the original TOS-ers inspirations for Klingon culture, an inspiration that was lost when they turned into Space Berserkers.

I think the thought process was more like "We want to give Klingon faction players multiple races like the Federation, but we never saw any non-Klingons on Klingon ships in the shows, so let's give them some minor antagonist races." The Klingons in STO include the Orions and Letheans, who voluntarily allied themselves with the Empire, and the Gorn and Nausicaans, who were conquered and vassalized.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

They're called the Klingon empire, it was a little strange we never really saw any conquered planets or peoples on screen.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

They're called the Klingon empire, it was a little strange we never really saw any conquered planets or peoples on screen.

The Mind's Eye involves a planet whose Klingon governor is fighting an insurrection, and I don't think the insurgents were Klingons.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Number_6 posted:

Seriously? Look at that awful, sharp 90-degree bend in the nacelle struts. That pregnant belly. The fat, squat neck. The deflector dish that is recessed so far that it couldn't deflect the gravel from the back wheels of a Winnebago.

I challenge you to combat by Anbo-jyutsu. To the death.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I finished Enterprise. Wow, Sirtis really did just forget (or care to use) Troi's accent. And I didn't realize (until I saw it) this was in reference to a mid-series TNG episode.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Someone please make a Vince McMahon GIF of the Excelsior.
My God, that's a big ship.

Not so big as her Captain, I think.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Before Enterprise's dumb Klingon Augment arc my explanation for why there were smooth-headed Klingons in TOS was because those "Klingons" were actually a different species, vassals to the Klingon Empire, who overthrew the ruling power and took control of the empire for a century or so during a period of civil strife. A powerful Klingon family, maybe Duras or whatever, raised an army of smoothheadians to stage a coup, but was betrayed and the smoothheadian leader took power. Kind of like the Mamluk Sultanate during the medieval age.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I started watching Voyager again, because I hate myself. I skipped Caretaker because gently caress that. I started with "Parallax", which is what gave us "WARP PARTICLES!". I was actually surprised how good it was before the technobabble took over. The episode starts strong, and all the actors are really giving it their all. Robert Beltran has a good intensity that is lacking in later seasons. You can already tell he is bored during technobabble oriented scenes though.

Also, the next episode, "Time and Again" sets the precedent for reset button plots. Not only that, but just like the last episode, Voyager is lured to an event that is actually caused by them time traveling. That's really silly to put as the premise for the two episodes immediately following your pilot...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MikeJF posted:

Small bridge before:

I SAID, "AHEAD WARP FACTOR TWO!"

I'm sorry, captain, I just can't hear you.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Subyng posted:

Before Enterprise's dumb Klingon Augment arc my explanation for why there were smooth-headed Klingons in TOS
Before DS9's excellent Trials and Tribble-ations my explanation for why there were smooth-headed Klingons in TOS was because of the makeup department not being able to afford fancy things like forehead prostheses in the 1960s. All they had to do was add one more amusing joke to an already great episode - change Michael Dorn's makeup for the duration of his stay in the 23rd century with nobody so much as looking like they noticed anything was different.

Didn't Gene himself say he never intended for there to be any distinction between the two, and that if he could he would have had bumpy-headed Klingons all along?

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 7, 2014

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Pasco posted:

Art.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Pasco posted:

[heretofore opinion about the Excelsior], but THIS.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Crosscontaminant posted:

Before DS9's excellent Trials and Tribble-ations my explanation for why there were smooth-headed Klingons in TOS was because of the makeup department not being able to afford fancy things like forehead prostheses in the 1960s. All they had to do was add one more amusing joke to an already great episode - change Michael Dorn's makeup for the duration of his stay in the 23rd century with nobody so much as looking like they noticed anything was different.

Didn't Gene himself say he never intended for there to be any distinction between the two, and that if he could he would have had bumpy-headed Klingons all along?

Well obviously we all know the real life explanation but where's the fun in that? I agree though, having Worf's ridges just spontaneously appear and disappear between the Defiant and the station would have been hilarious.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Subyng posted:

having Worf's ridges just spontaneously appear and disappear between the Defiant and the station would have been hilarious.

Oh wow, I never even considered that. That would have been just as good a gag as the gag we got. Even if it was an immediately "woah what the hell worf what happened" and they get interrupted every time before he can explain it

As a kid I always assumed that the Klingons from TOS were from a different country/continent than the TNG Klingons. That seemed to me the cleanest way to do it, but then again I had no concept that the writers would write aliens so one-dimensionally.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hard Clumping posted:

Oh wow, I never even considered that. That would have been just as good a gag as the gag we got. Even if it was an immediately "woah what the hell worf what happened" and they get interrupted every time before he can explain it

As a kid I always assumed that the Klingons from TOS were from a different country/continent than the TNG Klingons. That seemed to me the cleanest way to do it, but then again I had no concept that the writers would write aliens so one-dimensionally.

Aren't there Klingong characters in DS9 with ridges that were present in TOS without ridges? I never watched the augment arc of Enterprise because I find that that show unwatchably boring. I wish I didn't...

I just watched Voyager season 1, episode 5: "Phage"

I understand that sets are expensive to build, but reusing the set used in the climax of the previous episode ("Time and Again") in the intro to this episode was really lame. That corridor is pretty distinctive. This episode is not bad. It's not great either. Neelix turns the captain's dining room into a galley just in time to get his lungs stolen. The Vidiians are an interesting "we exist for the inherent moral dilemma" race, but I don't understand why Kes had to give up a lung. They should have said "hey guy who stole Neelix's lungs, let him have one back and we'll let you off with a warning". The highlight of the episode is when Neelix asks The Doctor if he's programmed to sing, and The Doctor rolls his eyes.

This episode contains one trope I cannot stand in any medium, which is the "hall of mirrors makes it hard to identify the real badguy". Voyager flies inside and asteroid that is mirrored on the inside and they can't find the real Vidiian ship. Hey idiots, if the light is reflecting of a surface to show an image of the ship, then you can shoot a laser at it and hit the ship. That's what reflection means! Also, any optical navigation equipment would have been able to to determine which ship was the real ship.

Janeway makes it worse by saying "It's like moving through a hall of mirrors: You never know when you're going to walk into the glass."
YES YOU DO! IT'S WHEN YOU SEE A REFLECTION OF YOURSELF WALKING STRAIGHT TOWARD YOU!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I SAID, "AHEAD WARP FACTOR TWO!"

I'm sorry, captain, I just can't hear you.

That's what Nog is for.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snak posted:

Aren't there Klingong characters in DS9 with ridges that were present in TOS without ridges? I never watched the augment arc of Enterprise because I find that that show unwatchably boring. I wish I didn't...

Yeah, we see Kang, Kor and Koloth, three TOS Klingons, in DS9.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, we see Kang, Kor and Koloth, three TOS Klingons, in DS9.

And if I recall they are played by the same actors. Which is cool. I think that it supports the "Klingons have always had ridges, makeup has gotten better" school of thought. But again, I'm not familiar with ENT's Augment arc...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Janeway makes it worse by saying "It's like moving through a hall of mirrors: You never know when you're going to walk into the glass."
YES YOU DO! IT'S WHEN YOU SEE A REFLECTION OF YOURSELF WALKING STRAIGHT TOWARD YOU!

Any decent hall of mirrors has both mirrors and transparent glass just so that you will walk into the glass repeatedly.

Also, looking at the floor is cheating and only losers do that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Subyng posted:

Well obviously we all know the real life explanation but where's the fun in that? I agree though, having Worf's ridges just spontaneously appear and disappear between the Defiant and the station would have been hilarious.

I can't fault DS9's writers for feeling like they had to say something to acknowledge the change. They had the sense to leave it completely unexplained, though. Worf growling "We do not discuss it with outsiders" was all that needed to be said.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

I can't fault DS9's writers for feeling like they had to say something to acknowledge the change. They had the sense to leave it completely unexplained, though. Worf growling "We do not discuss it with outsiders" was all that needed to be said.

Yeah, the augment arc in ENT was a hot mess. That's the kind of thing that gets posted in a thread like this as a fun bit of fan wank, it's not ready for prime time. "Why do Klingons look different now" was one of the few things I didn't want an answer to, so it was a big disappointment that they spent time on that and not on more interesting topics.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.

Just kiddin, Excelsior rules.
Even the State of NY agrees:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Mr. Horrible posted:

Yeah, the augment arc in ENT was a hot mess. That's the kind of thing that gets posted in a thread like this as a fun bit of fan wank, it's not ready for prime time. "Why do Klingons look different now" was one of the few things I didn't want an answer to, so it was a big disappointment that they spent time on that and not on more interesting topics.

My children, you are so perfect. I have given you genetic purity. You will rule the human race.

:sparkles: dad can we please have clothes. our clothes are literally stretched rags please da--

no

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 8, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Horrible posted:

This is why shows should never do what the fans say they want.

They are always wrong.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And Star Trek is at it's best when it's exploring actual issues, the way science fiction should. It's at it's worst when it's answering questions about the Trek canon.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't say it's at it's worst when it does that, but running a show or movie(s) on nothing but fanwank gets old after 5 minutes and I suspect that most of the modern focus on it is more about selling merchandise to undiscerning nerds that don't understand why they like what they like and try to fill their empty lives with anything they feel gives them meaning than telling an entertaining story.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Snak posted:

And Star Trek is at it's best when it's exploring actual issues, the way science fiction should. It's at it's worst when it's answering questions about the Trek canon.
I thought it was clever how they connected the TOS episode 'Tholian Web' with the Enterprise Mirror Universe episode, even if it was fanwank.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought it was clever how they connected the TOS episode 'Tholian Web' with the Enterprise Mirror Universe episode, even if it was fanwank.

Agreed, but only in the same way that Star Trek Online connects old plots to new ones. I think "Boy, they sure have done their research." then I take the pipe out of my mouth and air my robe out to dry and think "but eeueughgughghgleghlehlaglg"

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

FuturePastNow posted:

The whole point of this thread is to do exactly that!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pasco posted:

Despite it being an old meme this is legitimately one of the best mixes I've seen of it. The ending is perfect.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pasco posted:

My god, Bones. What have I done...

This is a thing of beauty.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
So TNG: Timescape has one of the best Troi openers. She talks about getting hit on by an interspecies mating expert. "I'M REALLY QUITE A SENSITIVE MAN, MYSELF."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The Marauder, another loaner from the Orions.

And the Scourge, a Nausicaan loaner.

Neg, those are clearly Gallente ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Aye. Some kind of Tristan spin off, and a little bro to the Moros.

• Locked thread