Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

eithedog posted:

My favorite a couple years ago was - why are you searching for work here?

I said I was willing to relocate and wasn't really bothered by where do I end up, yet the woman was still amazed that I was looking in that area (Devon / Cornwall in UK).

That's not an uncommon question for job seekers looking in areas outside of where they live. Your answer was exactly the wrong one, though; basically, the employer/recruiter is looking for something that's going to tie you to the area, or at least make you less likely to leave in the near future, so they really want to hear something like "I'm moving here to be with family," or "My significant other got a job here." "I've spent a lot of time in [city] and I love the place" might also be an acceptable answer, but "Meh I don't much care where I live" is bad because you might end up hating it and wanting to leave in a very short period of time, or at best you'll get restless again and start looking to go somewhere else sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

dennyk posted:

That's not an uncommon question for job seekers looking in areas outside of where they live. Your answer was exactly the wrong one, though; basically, the employer/recruiter is looking for something that's going to tie you to the area, or at least make you less likely to leave in the near future, so they really want to hear something like "I'm moving here to be with family," or "My significant other got a job here." "I've spent a lot of time in [city] and I love the place" might also be an acceptable answer, but "Meh I don't much care where I live" is bad because you might end up hating it and wanting to leave in a very short period of time, or at best you'll get restless again and start looking to go somewhere else sooner or later.

Those all are valid points you're making and I've not thought about that at all - cheers for that! Though, to be fair, I freshly arrived to UK at that point (she knew about that), and wasn't really tied to anything. It was also first (and only) time I've been asked that, having spoken to ~10 or so recruiters.

For me, what she was saying was "Don't come here, we don't want your kind here" type of thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

eithedog posted:

For me, what she was saying was "Don't come here, we don't want your kind here" type of thing.

It's Cornwall so that's entirely possible.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Caged posted:

Kernow don't want folks from east of the Tamar, imho.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Caged posted:

Its Cornwall so its pretty much true. I've never met someone who was born in Cornwall who doesn't hold a grudge against the rest of England.

E: Also, I wish I was exaggerating. I've done work in Cornwall and the further in you go, the more looks you get when you start talking.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
Background: I work for a managed hosting provider who was bought by the most hated ISP in the US a couple years back.

I interviewed for a position within the same company, moving from a system admin (tier 2) to a system engineer (tier 3). I was sweating bullets during the interview, and thought I did mediocre at best. A couple weeks passed, and I didn't hear anything back. I went up to the hiring managers and asked where they were at in the interview process, and they took me aside and told me I was being disqualified from the position, because I got so many correct and my wording was so close to the answers, that they believed I cheated and was slipped the answers. (I didn't, and I wasn't.)

I was told there was no appeals process...and that was it. I've had several co workers tell me to go to HR to contest it, but my line of thought is, if I went to HR, and if they sided with me and placed me on that team, then I now have two managers pissed off at me.

I'd like to hear the opinions of other people, has this ever happened to you? How do you deal with that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Raerlynn posted:

How do you deal with that?

:yotj:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Working on it. The day after that I blasted out applications everywhere. It's been about two weeks now, still working on it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Raerlynn posted:

I'd like to hear the opinions of other people, has this ever happened to you? How do you deal with that?

From an interviewer side I'd like to take 5 minutes and do a follow-up in person test, like ask related questions but that are different enough that someone who just memorized the answer matrix of the original test would get thrown off. Really weird that they didn't do this, since having someone who is legitimately skilled enough to give textbook answers can be pretty valuable.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd still go to HR. If you're looking for another job anyways what do you have to lose.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

GreenNight posted:

I'd still go to HR. If you're looking for another job anyways what do you have to lose.

Yes do this. I cannot overstate how much acting on baseless suspicion in this manner is a red flag.

If you're leaving, you can safely piss off these two managers. Furthermore, if they are doing tests like this, are they unionized?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

That's also probably an excuse so that they can give the job to the guy they want and not you, who scored more. gently caress corruption.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Yes do this. I cannot overstate how much acting on baseless suspicion in this manner is a red flag.

If you're leaving, you can safely piss off these two managers. Furthermore, if they are doing tests like this, are they unionized?

Not unionized. I live in the United States, in Missouri specifically (at will + right to work)

I don't have another job lined up yet. In looking and applying, but so far no luck.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
"Please remove the request for a root cause analysis for this outage."

"Did you ever find out what happened?"

"..."

hahahaha no way buddy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This morning I'm in the hotseat over a copier. We have four multifunction copiers which is at least one more than makes sense for this number of staff, but the one closest to my office (and my boss) is having an issue that requires a tech visit. I scheduled it on Thursday for today, the soonest available. I switched my boss to the nearest alternate copier, which is an additional twenty feet distant.

This morning he's already pissed off because the tech has not arrived, and demanded I call the copy vendor to see exactly what time he's coming. The best estimate they can provide is that it will be this afternoon. I tell my boss and then he insists that I call back and demand to be moved to the front of the queue. He wants me to threaten to terminate the fifteen copier leases we have with the vendor, a vendor who has done right by us the three years I've been here.

I'm not going to do it. I am not going to call the vendor and treat them the same way my bosses treat me. It's not urgent. It's not critical. It will probably be resolved this afternoon and the user has a good workaround. There's no reason to bully the vendor other than it's the modus operandi of everyone running this place: harass people until you get what you want.

I will never adopt that mindset.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

This morning I'm in the hotseat over a copier. We have four multifunction copiers which is at least one more than makes sense for this number of staff, but the one closest to my office (and my boss) is having an issue that requires a tech visit. I scheduled it on Thursday for today, the soonest available. I switched my boss to the nearest alternate copier, which is an additional twenty feet distant.

This morning he's already pissed off because the tech has not arrived, and demanded I call the copy vendor to see exactly what time he's coming. The best estimate they can provide is that it will be this afternoon. I tell my boss and then he insists that I call back and demand to be moved to the front of the queue. He wants me to threaten to terminate the fifteen copier leases we have with the vendor, a vendor who has done right by us the three years I've been here.

I'm not going to do it. I am not going to call the vendor and treat them the same way my bosses treat me. It's not urgent. It's not critical. It will probably be resolved this afternoon and the user has a good workaround. There's no reason to bully the vendor other than it's the modus operandi of everyone running this place: harass people until you get what you want.

It'll be great when they come out earlier and he's gone home for the day at 11.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

But this is your chance to roll poo poo down hill!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

But this is your chance to roll poo poo down hill!

My last manager was the poo poo roller type. Made me go bother all kinds of vendors. Wouldn't take no for an answer until I got word back from the vendors.

When I started :yotj:ing from that job I just started making poo poo up to reinforce my position. Felt good to get him off my back.

I swear, if I ever end up in charge of managing, and one of my guys counters my "is that what they said when you called them?" with a claim of not needing to, they get the chance to earn my trust - but if they blow it, they become poo poo rollers too.

Still, though, opening a case with HP to confirm that a hot-swappable drive is indeed hot-swappable, and getting it in writing, has little to no operational benefit other than IDing the manager as a control freak.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had requests like that, I won't stand for it. There is no reason to act like petulant child when dealing with another company, harming a professional relationship over something minor is just stupid.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MJP posted:

My last manager was the poo poo roller type. Made me go bother all kinds of vendors. Wouldn't take no for an answer until I got word back from the vendors.

When I started :yotj:ing from that job I just started making poo poo up to reinforce my position. Felt good to get him off my back.

I swear, if I ever end up in charge of managing, and one of my guys counters my "is that what they said when you called them?" with a claim of not needing to, they get the chance to earn my trust - but if they blow it, they become poo poo rollers too.

Still, though, opening a case with HP to confirm that a hot-swappable drive is indeed hot-swappable, and getting it in writing, has little to no operational benefit other than IDing the manager as a control freak.

I'd open a HP and hotswap the drive.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
you guys need to post more helldesk logs. i never get tired of those.

i actually learn alot from those...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

:rant: why is this ticket over 70 days old? This has to be closed now!

:confused: because engineering sat on it for two months, did nothing, and sent it to me this morning

Of course it's still my fault for not fixing a ticket I didn't know existed with skills I don't have. Obviously.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Great Beer posted:

:rant: why is this ticket over 70 days old? This has to be closed now!

:confused: because engineering sat on it for two months, did nothing, and sent it to me this morning

Of course it's still my fault for not fixing a ticket I didn't know existed with skills I don't have. Obviously.

Oh god, last place I worked, I came onboard with over 300 tickets that were more than 6 months old. At the time there was myself, one other dude doing tickets who also acted as the office manager, and a dude who just responded to voicemail tickets.

We got the queue down to zero tickets ONCE in the year I worked there. At which point the other guys promptly stopped working so hard on the tickets, leaving me to respond to something like 130 tickets per day, with another 20 every day that couldn't be answered until the next day.

Even after bringing on two more guys, we couldn't keep up with the INCREASING number of tickets, because the company was expanding faster than the IT staff.

It was hell.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Raerlynn posted:

It hasn't, but this is one of those times that I'd be real tempted to burn a bridge. "Why am I leaving? Remember that job I applied for that I didn't get? Remember why? You insulted my personal integrity with your baseless accusation of cheating, and you insulted my intelligence at the same time by being sure that I don't know this material. You clearly want someone dumber and less competent for both of these positions, so I'm going to work for a company that values my contributions, and giving you the opportunity to bring more mediocre clock-punchers into your organization."

Probably not a good idea to actually say that. But that's pretty much my internal monologue as I leave.

I can't think of a way to politely tell a company that they've demonstrated an abject lack of trust and confidence in me and that I'm worried about the security of my position given that fact, so I'm preempting the discussion by leaving. This is where you just grit your teeth until you find a better job, and when it's time to leave you don't tell them poo poo. I'm leaving on this date. The end.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

As a former field tech, I can tell you that constantly calling and complaining will accomplish one of two scenarios:
1) Your this afternoon appointment will become a next week appointment.
2) If you contact management and get the tech out faster, good luck ever getting speedy service again. We definitely kept lists.
So good for you. :)

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I just got the call about an hour ago, I've got the lead tech job. My current job is good, so I hope I can keep up the track record with the new one. It will give me much needed experience in a lot of areas.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Congrats!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Raerlynn posted:

Background: I work for a managed hosting provider who was bought by the most hated ISP in the US a couple years back.

I interviewed for a position within the same company, moving from a system admin (tier 2) to a system engineer (tier 3). I was sweating bullets during the interview, and thought I did mediocre at best. A couple weeks passed, and I didn't hear anything back. I went up to the hiring managers and asked where they were at in the interview process, and they took me aside and told me I was being disqualified from the position, because I got so many correct and my wording was so close to the answers, that they believed I cheated and was slipped the answers. (I didn't, and I wasn't.)

I was told there was no appeals process...and that was it. I've had several co workers tell me to go to HR to contest it, but my line of thought is, if I went to HR, and if they sided with me and placed me on that team, then I now have two managers pissed off at me.

Sometimes people are lazy when coming up with reasons to reject you for a promotion, transfer, or whatever. The important thing to understand is that this manager had someone else in mind or doesn't want you specifically. To me it seems like a give up reason to turn you down while also (mindboggling enough) trying to shift the blame to you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mrit posted:

As a former field tech, I can tell you that constantly calling and complaining will accomplish one of two scenarios:
1) Your this afternoon appointment will become a next week appointment.
2) If you contact management and get the tech out faster, good luck ever getting speedy service again. We definitely kept lists.
So good for you. :)

The tech arrived and is taking care of things. I stop by my boss's office to let him know and he groans and rolls his eyes.

What a fuckin' hump this guy is.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
A 7 year-old Lenovo came in, won't boot.

Bring it up with a recovery disk, dir fails ("An error occurred during directory enumeration.").
chkdsk /r fails before it even starts ("The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.")

It's showing up as a raw volume in diskpart, with all space free.

Welp.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

A 7 year-old Lenovo came in, won't boot.

Bring it up with a recovery disk, dir fails ("An error occurred during directory enumeration.").
chkdsk /r fails before it even starts ("The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.")

It's showing up as a raw volume in diskpart, with all space free.

Welp.

Is the disk encrypted? We get the same behavior with our laptops (Corporate policy to encrypt all laptops) if we boot from a cd/flash drive without first decrypting the hard drive.

We use lovely Checkpoint. A previous version of the software used to poo poo all over itself if you even looked at it funny. We then had 2 choices. Rebuild from scratch or decrypt and run check disk/fixboot. We usually went with option 2, but it still took forever since we had to contact the encryption team, wait at least a day to get the decryption tool from them, then we had to call and do the challenge/key with one of the encryption techs. Then it took a full day to decrypt. Then, of course, after it's been fixed we would then have to re-encrypt (which, again, would take a full day).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

TWBalls posted:

Is the disk encrypted? We get the same behavior with our laptops (Corporate policy to encrypt all laptops) if we boot from a cd/flash drive without first decrypting the hard drive.

We use lovely Checkpoint. A previous version of the software used to poo poo all over itself if you even looked at it funny. We then had 2 choices. Rebuild from scratch or decrypt and run check disk/fixboot. We usually went with option 2, but it still took forever since we had to contact the encryption team, wait at least a day to get the decryption tool from them, then we had to call and do the challenge/key with one of the encryption techs. Then it took a full day to decrypt. Then, of course, after it's been fixed we would then have to re-encrypt (which, again, would take a full day).

Actually, I'm an idiot, and it most likely is encrypted. Things like this are what remind me I'm still new to this and belong in T-1 for a while longer :(

Well, that means there's at least a chance of me being able to recover this person's data (she would always cancel our automated backup utility whenever it started running :downs:). I will look into our decryption procedures tomorrow!

My boss would've caught that first thing, but he's out this week. Thanks.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
No need to beat yourself up. You're still learning. I have co-workers that have been doing this as long as I have an they still come to me to ask about a failed install, only for me to remind them that they need to disable McAfee because it blocks some software installs.

Gotta love those users that cancel automated backups only to come panicking when their drive shits the bed. "You have backups, right!?"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Actually, I'm an idiot, and it most likely is encrypted. Things like this are what remind me I'm still new to this and belong in T-1 for a while longer :(

Well, that means there's at least a chance of me being able to recover this person's data (she would always cancel our automated backup utility whenever it started running :downs:). I will look into our decryption procedures tomorrow!

My boss would've caught that first thing, but he's out this week. Thanks.

It's all good buddy, that's what we're here for :) never hurts to ask or give an idea of the problem, someone always has a different way of solving it. Hell, I worked with someone a few years back who was confused and panicked when the explorer process stopped, and the desktop/taskbar disappeared in the middle of troubleshooting. What'd I do? Ctrl+Alt+Del, open Task Manager, go to New > Task, type Explorer, hit OK, and we're back in business. Funniest part was the :aaa: look I got after it was done, but hey, I was able to help someone think in a different way, and that's what mattered.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Sickening posted:

Sometimes people are lazy when coming up with reasons to reject you for a promotion, transfer, or whatever. The important thing to understand is that this manager had someone else in mind or doesn't want you specifically. To me it seems like a give up reason to turn you down while also (mindboggling enough) trying to shift the blame to you.

Where I work, there are three contractors, all of whom are slated to be hired after six months if we don't screw up. One of us has been there six months, and had his interview for the perm position recently. Apparently despite it being mostly a formality, the director has to interview a minimum of three people for any position he fills.

I can't imagine how much it must suck being one of the other two guys. Maybe he just interviewed his dogs or something, I don't know.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gilok posted:

Where I work, there are three contractors, all of whom are slated to be hired after six months if we don't screw up. One of us has been there six months, and had his interview for the perm position recently. Apparently despite it being mostly a formality, the director has to interview a minimum of three people for any position he fills.

I can't imagine how much it must suck being one of the other two guys. Maybe he just interviewed his dogs or something, I don't know.

I am not 100% sure but I believe sometimes companies have policies (it might be the state too) require all positions to be posted and have a minimum requirement for how many people they interview. I have relatives who work for the state that are often asked to apply for positions so they can meet quotas that they already have a person planned for.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sickening posted:

I am not 100% sure but I believe sometimes companies have policies (it might be the state too) require all positions to be posted and have a minimum requirement for how many people they interview. I have relatives who work for the state that are often asked to apply for positions so they can meet quotas that they already have a person planned for.

And it's generally a good thing too. At the very least, it almost certainly came around because someone in that company got hired for a position that they were totally unqualified for due to nepotism or some other similar reason, and it got caught.

It sucks if you're a person who legitimately deserves the job and now you have to go through a whole process instead of just getting promoted, but it's better than "my nephew's kid who's good with computers" getting your promotion instead.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Welp I just overwrote an important archival backup tape. Arcserv processed about 30% of the job before I caught it. Is there any chance I can read off the raw data in case there is still some of the old information there, or does the tape get erased before new data is written?

tl;dr write protect your archival poo poo.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

It sucks if you're a person who legitimately deserves the job and now you have to go through a whole process instead of just getting promoted, but it's better than "my nephew's kid who's good with computers" getting your promotion instead.

We had an internal position open up a year or so ago that at the time I was a shoe in for, since I was the only applicant internally, and I currently did just about everything in that job description. At the last minute they opened the position to external applicants, as HR thought we should give a group we acquired a chance to apply, even though all of them had already turned down the position.
However, someone applied who had a ton of certs and some experience in the field and they got the job instead. Didn't help that I didn't do great on my interview, but I didn't know I was having an interview that day, and they'd already decided on the other person anyway.
While I don't hold it against the person who got the job at all, but it still stung.

On a less depressing side note, I was helping a friend with some AV stuff, and while trying to get a recording with a camera on site, we discovered that none of our laptops can connect to the camera over firewire, and the camera bag didn't have any tapes, so I ended up recording using my DSLR and my iphone. It wasn't until halfway back home that I realized I hadn't checked the actual camera to see if there was a tape in there.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
…from the library.

Computers slow/infected. Which ones? Student worker can't identify the tags on them. I'm starting to be afraid I'm racist because it's another ESL student whose English is on the bad side of mediocre.

I would have gone to check it out, if the library weren't closing a minute later. Guess that's the first thing on tomorrow's agenda!

• Locked thread