Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

XyloJW posted:

In oWoD, when a vampire is staked, it's in torpor right? Can it hear/see stuff going on around it? When the stake is removed is it just instantly back to acting or does it take some time to recover and rouse? Does the vampire lose blood points while staked for an extended period of time?

You hear/see stuff going around you, you automatically get back up when it's removed (although you have to spend blood to heal the wound), and you do lose blood while staked I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A thing I liked about the Book of the Wyrm is that they do that thing wherein they make oblique reference to other chronicles without directly making the connection, eg the "Inquisitors", who are assumed to be Wyrm creatures (and apparently reek of it) but are described in such a way that they are pretty clearly supposed to be Angels. I feel like you could formulate a decent long-term campaign out of some inevitable confrontation between the God Machine (which is perverse and cruel but ultimately creative and self-perpetuating) and the Wyrm (which aims to destroy everything and leave a void).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm not sure about NWOD, but OWOD staking is just paralysis. It's often described as the weight of eternity sinking down on the vampire and holding them in place.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Basic Chunnel posted:

A thing I liked about the Book of the Wyrm is that they do that thing wherein they make oblique reference to other chronicles without directly making the connection, eg the "Inquisitors", who are assumed to be Wyrm creatures (and apparently reek of it) but are described in such a way that they are pretty clearly supposed to be Angels. I feel like you could formulate a decent long-term campaign out of some inevitable confrontation between the God Machine (which is perverse and cruel but ultimately creative and self-perpetuating) and the Wyrm (which aims to destroy everything and leave a void).

I'm confused. Does the God Machine exist in OWoD now or does the Wyrm exist in NWoD?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Gilok posted:

I'm confused. Does the God Machine exist in OWoD now or does the Wyrm exist in NWoD?

Neither. There's an oWoD book that introduces a short writeup of some mysterious throwaway antagonists, who are emotionless black silhouette-people performing a strange "census" of Wyrm activity. They happen to be named Inquisitors, which is also the name of one of the agendas adopted by fallen angels in nWoD, but it never struck me as an intended connection.

You could do a really similar plot substituting the forces of the Weaver for the God-Machine, though. Or just cross 'em over anyway.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ahh I'd never read the oWoD Book of the Wyrm, I'd just assumed the Inquisitors were some new addition and tied to Demon based on the similarity of their memory theft ability and the memory theft Process in the Demon book.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Those are two different universes, though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Like I said, I didn't really have an idea of the demarcation between oWoD and nWoD within the two chronicles and in relation to one another

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm not sure about NWOD, but OWOD staking is just paralysis. It's often described as the weight of eternity sinking down on the vampire and holding them in place.

In NWOD, staking is exactly like regular torpor, except the torpor duration is "as long as the stake remains in your heart, and no longer" instead of something you have to calculate based on the vampire's Humanity and Blood Potency.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Like I said, I didn't really have an idea of the demarcation between oWoD and nWoD within the two chronicles and in relation to one another

As far as new releases go? Anything with V20, W20, M20 or whatever (Book of the Wyrm, the new version with the Inquisitors introduced, is a W20 release) is oWoD. The 20 in question stands for 20th Anniversary Edition; the nWoD hasn't been around that long. Any non-corebook with a cover design that has a rectangular border around the illustration is oWoD, whereas nWoD non-corebooks have a vertical "World of Darkness" stripe on the right border instead.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

INH5 posted:

In NWOD, staking is exactly like regular torpor, except the torpor duration is "as long as the stake remains in your heart, and no longer" instead of something you have to calculate based on the vampire's Humanity and Blood Potency.

I thought that's how it was in oWoD? Are you saying in oWoD that a vampire could wake up with a stake still in its heart if it waits long enough?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I think the physics of staking (once the stake is in, and when it's pulled out) are basically the same in both games. You get the stake in a vampire's heart, they're torpored, and they wake up when the stake comes out.

I don't know if the precise timing on, for instance, how long it takes you to wake up (in terms of, are you jolted awake on the spot, do you kind of groan and stretch and float to consciousness zombielike, etc) was ever solidified. Could be wrong, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

OWOD vamps don't go into torpor when staked. They're just paralyzed and unable to move.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
I think the only practical difference between them is that in OWOD, a staked vampire is paralyzed but can perceive what is going on around them, while a NWOD staked vampire just experiences weird torpor dreams, just like they would if they had been shot/stabbed with something other than a wooden stake/beaten into torpor. I haven't recently checked the books on this, though, so I could be remembering wrong.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, oWoD vamps could still use mental disciplines while staked.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Ah, my mistake.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Soonmot posted:

Wait, what? I'm going to need some clarification on if that is an actual thing.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

INH5 posted:

To clarify: while you have a stake in you, you are in a coma and cannot perceive anything around you. I'm semi-sure stake torpor barely ever gives you torpor dreams and/or fog of ages because (unless something goes really wrong) it simply doesn't last long enough. You spend blood as normal to "wake" so if you're staked too long without them also feeding you, you go into for-reals torpor.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Soonmot posted:

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Wait, what? I'm going to need some clarification on if that is an actual thing.

Looks like Auspex only; no word here on if Dominate through Auspex is viable.

V:tM Revised, Page 213 posted:

Stake Through Heart: A vampire can indeed be incapacitated by the classic wooden stake of legend. However, the legends err on one point: A Kindred impaled through the heart with a wooden stake is not destroyed, but merely paralyzed until the stake is removed.

To stake a vampire, an attacker must target the heart (difficulty 9). If the attack succeeds and inflicts at least three health levels of damage, the target is immobilized. An immobilized victim is conscious (and may use the Auspex Discipline), but may not move or spend blood points.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ah, that's it. I thought you could use presence as well? That had the "summon a person from far away" power, right?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You can use certain Protean powers too, IRC.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
IIRC Torpor paralyses and prevents spending of Blood Points, so you can still use any disciplines that don't require movement or blood expenditure. One example is Animalism 1, Feral Whispers - you can command any animal that looks into your eyes. The exact same works with Dominate, they need to look into your eyes so it requires patience or might not work, but you are technically still conscious and can do mental things. Penalties for doing anything while the sun is up still apply though.

Disciplines that don't require Blood or movement are those like Auspex, Animalism, Dominate, (Chimerstry if 6+), (Dementation if you have Auspex 4 or can otherwise speak mentally), Fortitude because it's automatic, Obfuscate interestingly enough, a few Obtenebration - notably Shadowstep, some Presence but no Summon. Protean 8 can hilariously expel stakes or other things from your body but no other powers.

Since it prevents you from spending blood, and you spend blood to wake up and remain active anyway, I don't think you lose anything? The downside is you remain conscious throughout, without the luxury of dropping into a torpor/coma state, and so you'd probably pick up some derangements if trapped for an extended time.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ambi posted:

IIRC Torpor paralyses and prevents spending of Blood Points, so you can still use any disciplines that don't require movement or blood expenditure.

Not if you get beat down into torpor, anyway. (page 216, the health levels description for torpor):

quote:

Character enters a deathlike trance. He may do nothing, not even spend blood, until a certain period of time has passed.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
so I just got Flowers of Hell

quote:

ULTIMATUM
With this terrifying Exploit, the demon tasks a person with a single, reasonable action. The victim knows the task and knows the consequences may be existential. If he chooses to violate the commandment, he ceases to be human; he becomes a material of the demon’s choosing. Classically, this changes a victim into a pillar of salt or something equally biblical. Ultimatum turns the victim into any mineral. He could be- come salt, gold, limestone, or whatever else the demon wishes. The demon also chooses whether the victim becomes a rough shape, or a statue of his former self. The commandment must be reasonable. A regular person should be able to understand and accomplish the thing. Typically, Ultimatum is something simple, but the demon might very well trick the victim into succumbing, likely as a message to those that would defy her wishes.
This Exploit only works on a human target; a single target can only be subject to one Ultimatum at a time.

Roll Results
Dramatic Failure: The commandment does not take. The would-be victim is aware of what happened and gains a helpful Condition reflecting their reaction to the demon. Common Conditions include Inspired or Informed.
Failure: The commandment does not take.
Success: The commandment takes. It may or may not be a permanent command or prohibition, at the demon’s behest. If the human violates the commandment, he becomes the mineral the demon defined. For example, the demon may say, “Leave this place and do not look back.” If the subject refuses to leave or looks back, she may become a pile of gold.
Exceptional Success: No additional effect.

Demon is the best splat.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Finally, Gerund can possess the lethal contracts he desperately seeks

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Demon has officially jumped to the top of my reading list.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, reading Demon has me brainstorming game ideas, as these things happen. I won't be able to run a game right away (I'm in too many games right now), but when I get the time I've got this idea involving Daedalus' Labyrinth. Basically, the Labyrinth is Infrastructure the God-Machine manipulated Daedalus into creating to imprison something until the GM needed it. Daedalus got scared and sealed the Labyrinth, but the GM didn't care, it wouldn't need what was inside for a long time. The time is now. So now the God-Machine is looking for someone to open the doors to the Labyrinth and unleash whatever is hidden within.

The Labyrinth would be a pocket dimension created through something similar, but different, to Space magic. I'm thinking something like the City-Walker merit in God-Machine Chronicles. Daedalus wasn't a Mage, but rather a normal human with a special ability, kind of like the Progenitors from Promethean. The whole thing would be a symbolic language, with each symbol representing hyper-complex mathematical equations able to bend space itself. By engraving these symbols in buildings during construction, impossible architecture could be built straight out of Escher. The labyrinth would therefore be the biggest and most complex of these impossible buildings, with corridors bending in impossible ways and rooms changing according to a logic only it's builder could understand.

This is still pretty early stuff, but what do you guys think? Can I do something with that?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can I do something with that?

YES

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

ulmont posted:

Not if you get beat down into torpor, anyway. (page 216, the health levels description for torpor):

Gah, I somehow overlooked that. I meant Staking does the paralysing and stops you spending blood, since in oWoD it's distinct from Torpor. Thus meaning that vampires who are staked can still speak telepathically, command others (if they get lucky), become completely invisible, or teleport themselves through shadows.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Demon is kind of cool, I guess, but I haven't heard a single thing about Fallen World Chronicle that hasn't excited me. There's a thread on the Onyx Path forums in which Dave Brookshaw's been answering regular questions and it's all aces.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Ferrinus posted:

Demon is kind of cool, I guess, but I haven't heard a single thing about Fallen World Chronicle that hasn't excited me. There's a thread on the Onyx Path forums in which Dave Brookshaw's been answering regular questions and it's all aces.

And we're two blog posts into Open Development, too!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dave Brookshaw posted:

And we're two blog posts into Open Development, too!

Where are those? For the life of me I can never find them.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Where are those? For the life of me I can never find them.

Have you tried the most cursory Google search imaginable?

http://theonyxpath.com/category/projects/open-development-projects/

Here's the Mage ones:

http://theonyxpath.com/addicted-to-mysteries/

http://theonyxpath.com/falling-down/

I'm similarly really excited for FWC.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm a bit out of the loop in the politics of the whole thing, but how come they are so open about the rest of the line and yet so stupidly secretive about Exalted? I'm glad Mage 2.5 is looking really good, at least.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I think the policy for each game line is set by the people in charge of that line rather than any kind of top-down organizational mandate, so it's a matter of different teams having different, uh, temperaments.

EDIT: So one thing that surprised me in the OPP thread is the idea that almost any touch of the supernatural makes you a Sleepwalker. That's a change rather than a clarification, right? I'm pretty sure that even ghouls and lucifuges and so on were Sleepwalkers unless they separately had the merit indicating that they weren't in o.g. Awakening.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 10, 2014

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Makes OPP seem kinda bipolar, really, but I'm glad most of their lines are handled by sane people.
It's just baffling because I was expecting Ex3 to be as well handled as all of the other games OPP has been working on the past few years, and instead we got what we got.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Makes OPP seem kinda bipolar, really, but I'm glad most of their lines are handled by sane people.
It's just baffling because I was expecting Ex3 to be as well handled as all of the other games OPP has been working on the past few years, and instead we got what we got.

You down with OPP? Yeah, you know me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary has also been kept mostly under wraps.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

"If you want mages who assume that their model of the universe is the only one that matters and are incapable of discovery that isn't born of solipsism, Ascension 20 is coming out later this year." -Dave Brookshaw, somewhere else on OPP or rpg.net or something, i forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
To put it into some perspective, I was given my Developer's account for the Onyx Path site last year, and only put my first blog up last week. As I say in the blog, I've been working on this Chronicle book for two years on, off, and really on again.

Partly it's because the nWoD fanbase is several orders of magnitude chiller than Exalted's, and the cWoD fans know all about their games anyway. But it's also simply because the cabal of nWoD Developers don't confirm or deny our plans until late on. I was outright denying being Mage Developer on forums for months after it was a lie, because Fallen World hadn't been announced.

• Locked thread