Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

massive spider posted:

My second to last gear purchase was an MXR dyna comp which sounds great but adds horrible noise (to the point I think it might be broken) my last purchase was an EHX soul preacher which adds very little noise but sounds clicky compared to the dyna comps satisfying chunkiness.

Now I'm just thinking gently caress compressors.

Go for a BYOC Classic Compressor, it isn't too noisy, and isn't even click-y at all. Plus if you go for the bonus upgrade pack, it's even more of a "can't tell when it's on, but noticeable when it's off" effect. It's not too hard to do, as it was the first effect I made from them (aside from the confidence booster) and the only problem I had was a cold solder joint and a mistake in wiring due to misreading instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shuriken
Dec 2, 2002

Major Spag posted:

:shobon:

You can thank my wife for the stupid artsy picture.

Hey, black on blue strat buddy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

The headstock is too narrow I can't mount it on my wall! :saddowns:

Utterly gorgeous, very jealous.

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

$500 for the head and cab off of CL. Pretty happy so far. The natural tube breakup is pretty cool.

All I need now is a reverb pedal and a fancy distortion and I'm gold.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Walked in to try out a 5W Ibanez Tube Screamer amp. Walked out with this.

I like it and man does it get loud (compared to what I'm used to).

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

sensy v2.0 posted:

Walked in to try out a 5W Ibanez Tube Screamer amp. Walked out with this.

I keep being tempted by this, is there a particular reason you grabbed the Marshall instead?

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Startyde posted:

I keep being tempted by this, is there a particular reason you grabbed the Marshall instead?
Their website lied and they didn't have any TSA in stock. So I thought "what the hell, I'll try the Marshall just for fun even though it's almost twice as much" and fell in love with it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Got an Ibanez TA35 Troubador for free from my father in law. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

massive spider posted:

My second to last gear purchase was an MXR dyna comp which sounds great but adds horrible noise (to the point I think it might be broken) my last purchase was an EHX soul preacher which adds very little noise but sounds clicky compared to the dyna comps satisfying chunkiness.

FWIW I've got an ME-80 which emulates the CS-2 and while notes decay pretty quickly, it doesn't add any hiss whatsoever.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
I'm going to go check this out tomorrow: http://www.guitarpickersaz.com/product/silvertone-1950s-chris-issacs-model/

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Sorry for the terrible Instagram picture:

Ibanez RG2EX1, picked it up a few weeks ago. This was one of the later models that has the Ibanez Vintage V7/V8 pickups, which I hear are much better than the "Designed by EMG" pickups from the earlier models. It also has the 5 way pickup switch which I find pretty cool, because the other two guitars I have only have the standard dual humbucker, 3 way switch setup.

Really enjoying it so far and because I got it at a price that was much lower than what I was budgeting for my next guitar purchase, I have enough money saved up to upgrade it if I decide that I want to.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I have the v7v8 but they've always seemed a little quiet to me. Then again they might need a little adjusting.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Picked up a used Eminence The Wizard and a GT12-75 to fill out my 2x12 better.

Edit: \/\/\/ soldering isn't really that big of a deal for how often I switch things around. :iiam:

Edit2: what if your spade terminal falls off during transport and you unknowingly fry your OT? :colbert:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 7, 2014

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Are you soldering leads directly to the speaker terminals? Please don't do that. Using spade connectors will make things a whole lot easier in the future.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Bought my first single coil guitar today. It's an SX Leo - one piece american swamp ash body with one piece Canadian maple neck on sale for $130. They seem to have decent reviews, on par with a MIM Fender. Worst comes to worst, the neck and body seem like a great base. Throw on a better nut, some better pups and tuners and it should be great.

This will be my 4th Rondo guitar, pretty excited to get it.

I currently own 7 electrics, not a single one with single coils. Should be fun!

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 7, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Bought my first single coil guitar today. It's an SX Leo - one piece american swamp ash body with one piece Canadian maple neck on sale for $130. They seem to have decent reviews, on par with a MIM Fender. Worst comes to worst, the neck and body seem like a great base. Throw on a better nut, some better pups and tuners and it should be great.

I have that same model and it's a real piece of poo poo that needs new everything, but if you're willing to put new everything on it, the neck is nicely done, frets are surprisingly well-crowned considering the price, and the finish is good looking. It needs new EVERYTHING else, though I got mine years back and maybe they've improved some component quality since? I dunno.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Agreed posted:

I have that same model and it's a real piece of poo poo that needs new everything, but if you're willing to put new everything on it, the neck is nicely done, frets are surprisingly well-crowned considering the price, and the finish is good looking. It needs new EVERYTHING else, though I got mine years back and maybe they've improved some component quality since? I dunno.

What is "everything"? I'm assuming pickups, tuning machines, pots, maybe nut and bridge?

Even if that's the case, I still think it's coming out ahead. You can't buy a solid 1 piece ash body for $130, never mind a neck with it. Just going by warmoth prices, a solid swamp ash body unfinished is $195. With the finish it's $350+.

Even if I have to put $100 pickups, $50 machines, $30 pots, and a $20 nut that's still way ahead of the game.

What about the stock hardware don't you like though? Tuners go out of tune? Pickups suck?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

What is "everything"? I'm assuming pickups, tuning machines, pots, maybe nut and bridge? Even if that's the case, I still think it's coming out ahead. You can't buy a solid 1 piece ash body for $130, never mind a neck with it. Just going by warmoth prices, a solid swamp ash body unfinished is $195. With the finish it's $350+. Even if I have to put $100 pickups, $50 machines, $30 pots, and a $20 nut that's still way ahead of the game. What about the stock hardware don't you like though? Tuners go out of tune? Pickups suck?

Sometimes it's worth less than the sum of it's parts. A simple used VM or CV Squier would be a way better platform, fwiw. Probably snag one for $200 and have WAY less to do.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

What is "everything"? I'm assuming pickups, tuning machines, pots, maybe nut and bridge?

Even if that's the case, I still think it's coming out ahead. You can't buy a solid 1 piece ash body for $130, never mind a neck with it. Just going by warmoth prices, a solid swamp ash body unfinished is $195. With the finish it's $350+.

Even if I have to put $100 pickups, $50 machines, $30 pots, and a $20 nut that's still way ahead of the game.

What about the stock hardware don't you like though? Tuners go out of tune? Pickups suck?

I mean what Sockington says here:

Sockington posted:

Sometimes it's worth less than the sum of it's parts. A simple used VM or CV Squier would be a way better platform, fwiw. Probably snag one for $200 and have WAY less to do.

Pickups are garbage, tuners are salty garbage, nut is less "filed" and more slung off in there and hacked at a bit; all the hardware is made out of really low grade crap metal so the bridge is just terrible and overall the thing is basically good for hanging up on a wall as a decoration but you'll be neck deep in new parts to the point you could have bought a MIM or something else much better for around the same or a bit less. It's TOO project of a project guitar. The electronics even suck.

To be fair, it is not a Rondo house brand guitar - SX, etc. are all more widely available in places that aren't the U.S. apparently. I'm sure the moderately more expensive models are better; I have an SX bass that was the most expensive SX bass at the time and I don't have nearly the same complaints about it (still needed new pickups, but the rest of it was very solidly made and the hardware was at least a couple steps up from the shiiiiitty ones on the cheapest-strat-you-can-buy model there).

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hmm, what an interesting box.

There's a bag in the box

Inside the bag something in numbered

:krad: :awesome: :krad:

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

massive spider posted:

FWIW I have a Diamond compressor (yellow), and a Barber Tone Press. They don't add any noticeable noise and I consider them indispensable pieces of my rig. They really help round out my sound and provide some nice sustain. Dont give up trying.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

FWIW I have a Diamond compressor (yellow), and a Barber Tone Press. They don't add any noticeable noise and I consider them indispensable pieces of my rig. They really help round out my sound and provide some nice sustain. Dont give up trying.

The barber tone press and MXR comp are both Ross based compressors in design I believe. I quite like the ross sound, I'm just pissed I wasted money on a lemon.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right, so I recently came across a fair bit of unexpected money. Enough to warrant a very nice guitar, but not enough to consider investing in anything.

Here's the thing. I've got a pretty drat nice guitar setup as is. I play Metal. I've got a LTD Explorer with Bareknuckles in it and a Gibson Les Paul with a set of Seymour Duncans. My Explorer is metal as hell, but the Les Paul is a fantastic all-rounder. Great cleans, great for blues\rock\any leads and GOOD at metal (But not as good as my Explorer). The two of them make a great team and cover an awful lot of bases.

I'm considering an acoustic or a strat instead. However I have an opportunity to make my ultimate electric, so here's my ideas. Am I being utopian?

- In terms of guitar body, I would like a PRS sorta shape.

- I love Fender Strat necks. But let's get a 24 fret version.

- Les Paul style headstock.

- I want it to sound like a refined Les Paul. I don't want the "honk" that's in PRS guitars, but I want a smoother LP. As in if you shut your eyes, I want you to confuse it with a very nice, clear-sounding Les Paul.

- 2 Humbuckers, with the PRS Coil Split\Switching system

- For a neck pickup, I'll get a SD '59. For the bridge, I'll chat to the guys at Bareknuckle. I've got a BKP Painkiller and it's a bit too metal. In my Les Paul, I've got a SD JB. I want something that falls between the two.

- I also want a trem. None of my guitars have one.

- Groupie switch on the back. The thing that all famous guitarists have whereby they flick it and suddenly groupies appear backstage. I get the feeling that this MIGHT have more to do with playing great music, but we're aiming for the stars here aren't we?

Long story short: Design of a PRS, Sound of a Les Paul, plays like a strat with a blowjob button on the back. Possible or not? I suspect that the reason why a PRS sounds "honky" compared to a Les Paul is because a Les Paul uses a whole lot more wood than a PRS and by carving contours\trem system into it, my Les Paul-sounding-PRS will end up sounding suspiciously a LOT like a PRS, but this is what I'm thinking of.

(For the record, yes I've sent this as an email to Warmoth)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hammer Floyd posted:

Long story short: Design of a PRS, Sound of a Les Paul, plays like a strat with a blowjob button on the back. Possible or not? I suspect that the reason why a PRS sounds "honky" compared to a Les Paul is because a Les Paul uses a whole lot more wood than a PRS and by carving contours\trem system into it, my Les Paul-sounding-PRS will end up sounding suspiciously a LOT like a PRS, but this is what I'm thinking of.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/ct624

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

PRS CU24 with 57/08 pickups (or the new ones, 59/09 or something like that). My Prism came with the 57/08s and in addition to being the first PRS pickups I've actually LIKED and left in a guitar, they're among the best I've ever used, and I'm an utter pickup whore. Easily covers the spectrum of what you're looking for, especially with a good clean boost. Plus, they split wonderfully.

You might also consider the route I went with earlier this year. AmStd Strat, gut it, add an array of Lace Sensors, blend pot for neck/bridge and TBX. Ultra-flexible and with a Red LS gets stupidly heavy.

However, if you're set on guitars, have you thought about picking up a new amp? That's usually the easiest way to get a different sound and feel.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ding-Ding-Ding. We might have something here.

iostream: When it comes to strat, I'm going to get one as a personal milestone reward. I'm going to get the most strat-like strat ever. Cool suggestion though and I might try those pickups, but I'll go with whatever will give me a more SRV sound. In terms of amp, a mate hot-rodded my Mesa Recto and I have an Axe-FX on the way for recording, so on the amp side of things I'm pretty well set.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Hammer Floyd posted:

and I have an Axe-FX on the way for recording, so on the amp side of things I'm pretty well set.

Wait, people actually buy those to use?I just thought they were resold only based on one user's experience on these forums ;)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hammer Floyd posted:

Ding-Ding-Ding. We might have something here.

For what it's worth I can vouch for their necks, they are godly.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sockington posted:

Wait, people actually buy those to use?I just thought they were resold only based on one user's experience on these forums ;)

I know using Ola isn't a great example, but come on man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76S3E-wEgYY

Not to mention that Devin Townsend recorded his last 5 albums with an Axe-FX.

I'm going to admit that an AFX isn't as good as the real thing. However, recorded music is always going to be about compromises. Since I can't afford to go into a studio to properly let a Bogner Uberschall scream whenever I feel like it, what's the lesser compromise? Trying to record a monstrously loud high-gain amp at low volume in a bedroom? Or digital emulation which 90% of people won't notice?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Oh, they are loving awesome. It was just a poke at someone who always seems to have one for sale but never posts after that.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Hammer Floyd posted:

iostream: When it comes to strat, I'm going to get one as a personal milestone reward. I'm going to get the most strat-like strat ever. Cool suggestion though and I might try those pickups, but I'll go with whatever will give me a more SRV sound. In terms of amp, a mate hot-rodded my Mesa Recto and I have an Axe-FX on the way for recording, so on the amp side of things I'm pretty well set.
Oh, yeah, if that's what you're looking for out of a Strat you need to COMPLETELY disregard everything I posted.
My Strat is about as un-Stratlike as could possibly be, which works for me and I dig it.
No one else can get a sound they like out of it, and honestly I consider that a big bonus. ;)

Sockington posted:

AxeFx is the new Bitcoin for the TGP set.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

iostream.h posted:

Oh, yeah, if that's what you're looking for out of a Strat you need to COMPLETELY disregard everything I posted.
My Strat is about as un-Stratlike as could possibly be, which works for me and I dig it.
No one else can get a sound they like out of it, and honestly I consider that a big bonus. ;)

Hahahahahha, that's cool. I'm a Les Paul man through and through, but I acknowledge that for some things? A strat is a lot better. I'll still be rocking my Les Paul for 70% of it, but when the Les Paul isn't working right, that's when I want a strat to end all strats.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
Just bought this sexy piece of kit:

I've been wanting a Sax for 25 years or so, since I started playing the Clarinet. I love the blue finish.

Body detail:

Neck detail:

Horn detail:

Side detail:

Just got to learn to play the drat thing now...

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Holy poo poo do I love that color scheme. I played sax all through middle and high school. I sort of miss it sometimes, but once I started playing guitar saxophone got dropped. Maybe I'll pick it up again some day, I wonder how I'd be almost 15 years later. Its like riding a bike, right? :)

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 10, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Not gonna lie that's one of the most beautiful instruments I've seen in a while. Gold on blue :swoon:

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011

My body is ready.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Double Bass posted:

My body is ready.
That is a pro-rig. Go forth and own with that tone.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm going to admit that an AFX isn't as good as the real thing. However, recorded music is always going to be about compromises. Since I can't afford to go into a studio to properly let a Bogner Uberschall scream whenever I feel like it, what's the lesser compromise? Trying to record a monstrously loud high-gain amp at low volume in a bedroom? Or digital emulation which 90% of people won't notice?

I have a fair amount of experience recording some of the amps modeled in the AxeFX, and the Axe models are about as close as you can possibly get without buying the originals. But honestly, that doesn't matter. On their own the sims sound superb, especially with a quality IR. The 5150 model may not sound exactly like a 5150 in Guitar Center, but no one will be able to tell the difference once it's recorded.

One thing that gets people is the AxeFX output. It's designed to nail the recorded tones, so people who are used to live amps (I.e. not recorded) will think it's too hyped. Oh the other hand, it's easy enough to disable the power amp and cab sims and run it as a preamp, and you'll get that live amp tone.

As you can see, I'm a huge proponent of the AxeFX. I've been using modeling since the GT6 first came out, and the Fractal is the first time I've felt confident enough in the tones to use them without post-processing.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

Kilometers Davis posted:

Not gonna lie that's one of the most beautiful instruments I've seen in a while. Gold on blue :swoon:

Thanks. I do like it. I looked at getting either a black or red one, but the blue one was just so loving pretty

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Holy poo poo do I love that color scheme. I played sax all through middle and high school. I sort of miss it sometimes, but once I started playing guitar saxophone got dropped. Maybe I'll pick it up again some day, I wonder how I'd be almost 15 years later. Its like riding a bike, right? :)

Pretty much - it's the same for me and my Clarinet. It's been the best part of 15 years since I really played properly. I'm trying to get back on the horse as it were.

Making the transition between Clarinet to Sax is proving a little confusing - my embouchure is causing all kinds of chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Stock photo because it doesn't get here until late August, but hot drat I am nonetheless excited.