Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Bad Munki posted:

New version is out, definitely check it out: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

not even a lie, this time, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kremlins
May 9, 2009

http://kremlin.cc/dfmirror/

here's a mirror i made, the official site is very slow right now

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kremlin Kremlin posted:

DOWNLOAD DWARF FORTRESS 0.40.01 (July 7, 2014)

you're seeing a cached page i'll bet

No you're seeing a precached page it's not actually out nobody listen to this man.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Can't wait to try this ooooooout. I haven't played since early 2013.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I love the little progress bars it has for all the saving and loading.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Anybody else running the OSX version? My window is screwy and I can't really resize it properly. Fullscreen mode doesn't work.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
World generation (and future sucession fort) here I come!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

manero posted:

Anybody else running the OSX version? My window is screwy and I can't really resize it properly. Fullscreen mode doesn't work.

you have a retina macbook? in init.txt change [PRINT_MODE: 2D] to [PRINT_MODE: STANDARD]

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Aww, tried to talk to my deity and the game chrashed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did it really break tile sets? That's just mean.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

NiknudStunod posted:

Not sure if its because I am use to masterwork or this has just been streamlined but world generation seems much faster so far.

NM I just tried to create a large world and generation slowed to a crawl after about 100 years.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Any tile sets updated yet?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

TBH after using the Phoebus tileset for so long this new version made me realize I actually don't mind the ASCII now because I know what and where everything "should" be :shrug:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Mr. Glass posted:

you have a retina macbook? in init.txt change [PRINT_MODE: 2D] to [PRINT_MODE: STANDARD]

Thanks - that at least helped. When I scale the text I lose the fancy fonts. Oh well!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

I just assumed after two years of development they might not be proper.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

New version is out, definitely check it out: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

How'd you do that?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Never using tilesets is finally paying off!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
okay so I figure I can probably survive without tilesets for now, but isn't there an option in the init files or something to change to square tiled ASCII? None of this oblong poo poo for me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Reason posted:

I just assumed after two years of development they might not be proper.

Yeah, they'll need to accommodate multi-tile trees if nothing else.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm not falling for it this time you assholes. :mad:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Woah!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm so giddy. :3:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

brag about your past violent acts.

every.
single.
time.
:black101:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Looking at advanced worldgen parameters, what the hell does "Generate divine materials" do?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TildeATH posted:

How'd you do that?

What, you mean post within ten seconds of the release? Easy: I gave myself 5 seconds to notice it had dropped, and another 5 seconds to post about it.

I am as a god.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Apparently magic items have been added.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

skasion posted:

Looking at advanced worldgen parameters, what the hell does "Generate divine materials" do?

Something to do with this? (from release notes)

"Some experiments with procedural items, though the new demon-type sites are still quite un-fun now. The knowledge on the slab at the bottom can be used, but it is probably not worth the trouble."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

28: Emloxsnosm, "Jackalgrooved", dark fortress
Owner: The Lamented Horror, goblins
Parent Civ: The Barbarity of Torches, goblins
lord: Amxu Poisonpleated the Ugly Venoms of Frenzy, goblin
134 elves
59 humans
25 dwarves
8624 goblins
1 fuchsia demon
4300 trolls
73 elf prisoners
23 dwarf prisoners
7 human prisoners

:stare:
I actually made a adventurer with the goal of wiping out a civilization once. Trained up some still,s became a vampire, found a necromancer tower and learned how to make zombies, and then I spent like a couple real world hours trying to kill everybody in a village before realizing that that people wouldn't stop spawning, because of exactly that.

Hm. With the way things keep going when you're not actually right there now, maybe if I found a way to become something hostile to all life and that makes more of itself on its own...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

amuayse posted:

Apparently magic items have been added.

give us the deets, yo

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh gently caress, it's finally here gotta download and---

Gilok posted:

I was about to try it out but then I realized it doesn't have tilesets or dwarf therapist or anything yet. I'll let you people try it out for me. someone post tree screenshots.

goddamnit

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Ha ha, I thought there was a bunch of leaves growing into the dirt, but he actually went ahead and gave trees roots.

Conversing in adventure mode is pretty nice since you just need to type in whatever keyword. Like old adventure games, you converse by going WEATHER, RUMORS, CHANGE, TROUBLE, LOCATION ad infininum.

also man up you tileset babbies

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 8, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I know I'm not used to tilesets, but c'mon, dark blue on black sucks.

e: first map I make is perfect... except has syndrome rain that makes you blister everywhere, including your eyes. Damnit.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 8, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
OKAY,

DF OUT

anyone have any estimates on the ETA of the next update?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I just saw the new version announcement pop up on my Twitter feed. I have never played DF and am now seriously tempted to get into it. How long do you guys think it will take for tileset support to be fixed in this new release?

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
its been so long since I played vanilla that I forgot how loving hard it is to find a non-aquifer fortress site. I actually had to use the search function.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Worldgen doesn't seem to progress when the window doesn't have focus. This is gonna be a long night.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

neurotech posted:

I just saw the new version announcement pop up on my Twitter feed. I have never played DF and am now seriously tempted to get into it. How long do you guys think it will take for tileset support to be fixed in this new release?

Learn to read the matrix. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

neurotech posted:

Just play the game without the tileset, it's really not that bad and you get to brag to people about being more hardcore than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Going above ground is probably a lot more viable now that three trees give you 70 loving wood. Holy moly.