Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Powercube posted:

Spirit can't handle that kind of damage or catastrophic situation - which makes me think that there are a lot of hair brained schemes going on. Everyone joking about overtime shifts and the lot are forgetting that there'd be no space for Spirit to build an extra three barrels. What surprises me the most is that this is an entirely novel occurrence.

The problem with Just In Time production is that it assumes nothing will go wrong. When something DOES go wrong, it's a larger catastrophe than it would otherwise have been, due to inflexibility in the production schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ctishman posted:

The problem with Just In Time production is that it assumes nothing will go wrong. When something DOES go wrong, it's a larger catastrophe than it would otherwise have been, due to inflexibility in the production schedule.

JIT does not necessitate assuming nothing will go wrong.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Yet millions of managers in every business all over the world still do.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

BobHoward posted:

Some of the youtube commenters are claiming the A340 pilots should've looked before crossing the runway. Would they actually have visibility out of the cockpit in that direction? Seems possible that they wouldn't.
Not without the FO getting out of his seat and pushing his head against the window.

An odd combination of runways to be in use simulataneously, I thought... 02 for landings, 25R for takeoffs. Arrivals and departures in opposite directions, and almost all aircraft have to cross active runways while taxiing. Maybe 25L was closed or something...

e: The A340 was apparently instructed to taxi across the active landing runway three times at different locations to get to its departure runway, of course without stopping at any of the holding points. That's Spanish efficiency for you!

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 6, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

But isn't the whole point of JIT to reduce the redundancies created by the need to deal with unexpected events like storage for extra parts and the like?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

But isn't the whole point of JIT to reduce the redundancies created by the need to deal with unexpected events like storage for extra parts and the like?

Its to minimize in process inventory, which means that once the process starts nothing is sitting around waiting to be worked on. That doesn't mean that you have to completely eliminate raw material storage.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Powercube posted:

They're as empty as the day is long, they're just tubes- all the fun stuff goes in on the rolling lines. Regardless, the word on the street is three write-offs. I agree with them, there are too many known unknowns, over-stresses, tears, gashes, to make them insurable.

The banana-brains are not wrong on the section 41 being damaged, I am just surprised that's newsworthy. If it's for a KC-46, that program's already so hosed it hurts and a delayed section 41 wont kill the timelines. I'll do some digging, because if it's a 777 section 41- someone's going to be pissed.

Edit: Yeah, Spirit can't handle that kind of damage or catastrophic situation - which makes me think that there are a lot of hair brained schemes going on. Everyone joking about overtime shifts and the lot are forgetting that there'd be no space for Spirit to build an extra three barrels. What surprises me the most is that this is an entirely novel occurrence.

Edit II: Boeing originally considered the Dreamlifters high-risk in terms of merchandise damage, they still do- their must be some serious heads exploding in Chicago if their safe method can do that much damage.

Speaking of Spirit, any credence to the rumors that Spirit is going to sell the Wichita plant off to GKN? There's poo poo swirling around here about them hiring 300 extra security members and doing their inventory in June instead of August.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Solkanar512 posted:

JIT is a practice, not a dichotomy. In a perfect world yes, it would but in practice it's not (or shouldn't) be that fine.

However, as other posters in this thread have mentioned this might be too big of an issue to swallow. Not only is Boeing JIT tight, but it sounds like their fusalage supplier is as well. It gets worse as it's compounded. It's not like they can go to another supplier and get another fuselage next week. The integration is too tight and specialized.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
JIT is not to blame for not having three whole spare 737 fuselages just lying around ready to go. One would hope it didn't take JIT to ensure there weren't 3 whole 737-shaped holes in the production schedule, either.

I mean this is like blaming the whole thing on 5S because the only areas prepped for the train were the narrowly designated tracks

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

rscott posted:

Speaking of Spirit, any credence to the rumors that Spirit is going to sell the Wichita plant off to GKN? There's poo poo swirling around here about them hiring 300 extra security members and doing their inventory in June instead of August.

First I've heard of it, you've definitely given me something to look into. I'm going to say considering that GKN doesn't have a happy enough sounding name for being involved with Boeing that the odds are low. I still want to start Ambivalence aerospace... probably out perform Triumph.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ehnus posted:

Holy poo poo, glad this didn't become another Tenerife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5THRSp4hM
So I guess I'm unobservant, but how come the alliance livery is so much more prominent than the airline itself now? It seems Oneworld and Star Alliance are doing the same thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alereon posted:

So I guess I'm unobservant, but how come the alliance livery is so much more prominent than the airline itself now? It seems Oneworld and Star Alliance are doing the same thing.

Each alliance member usually has one plane in the alliance livery.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

rscott posted:

That was a rumor for about a week last year when I worked there, except the rumor was GKN was going to buy the whole company. It was also in some business magazine.

Hilariously, Spirit stock spiked and GKN stock tanked temporarily the day that article came out.

There was also rumor of the A350 facility in Kinston getting sold to Airbus, which would probably be a god-send for the employees the way that place was getting run. I got out of dodge after the first small layoff, and now there's about 5 people left in my formerly 30 person department.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Snowdens Secret posted:

JIT is not to blame for not having three whole spare 737 fuselages just lying around ready to go. One would hope it didn't take JIT to ensure there weren't 3 whole 737-shaped holes in the production schedule, either.

I mean this is like blaming the whole thing on 5S because the only areas prepped for the train were the narrowly designated tracks

Rumor I'm getting from some friends who know people still there is that three 737-shaped holes is indeed what they have in their production line right now. Boeing's embraced production efficiency measures on the 737 line wholeheartedly, and it's paid off by and large. They've been producing something like 40 737s per month, and have been mercilessly 'trimming inefficiency' to raise those numbers further, and it seems they're going to suffer now for their failure to have just a little fat around the edges.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
blah blah blah airliner talk blah blah blah

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

FullMetalJacket posted:

That's all old poo poo - post something new. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06o7fzcE1Hk
Any lower and someone would have GOODYEAR on their forehead.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Duke Chin posted:

I love how people just stand there and film saying wow. A plane that low is NOT flying over my loving head. I'd be running my rear end off.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Duke Chin posted:

The guy in the orange shirt is lucky all he got was probable hearing damage. He almost ended up a foot shorter.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Duke Chin posted:

The old guy waving his cane in the air and then sheepishly walking away in the second perspective makes this clip :corsair:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bob A Feet posted:

I love how people just stand there and film saying wow. A plane that low is NOT flying over my loving head. I'd be running my rear end off.

Dude you're going to have two huge spinny rotor disks of doom whirling closer to your head during transition than that Turk's F-16 was to those folks' heads. :v:

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I've been standing at the localizer arrays a few times when 16's have come in right over me, maybe about 20-30' higher, and it's not actually that loud considering they're nearly at idle thrust.

The Marine EA-6 I stood under in the same spot was loud as gently caress though. I really wasn't expecting that.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ApathyGifted posted:

That was a rumor for about a week last year when I worked there, except the rumor was GKN was going to buy the whole company. It was also in some business magazine.

Hilariously, Spirit stock spiked and GKN stock tanked temporarily the day that article came out.

There was also rumor of the A350 facility in Kinston getting sold to Airbus, which would probably be a god-send for the employees the way that place was getting run. I got out of dodge after the first small layoff, and now there's about 5 people left in my formerly 30 person department.

They're supposed to be buying all of Spirit's non Boeing poo poo in Oklahoma but there's been rumors that they're going to sell off all the Gulfstream stuff in Wichita too, or that they're going to buy the whole thing, or even that Boeing is going to buy the plant back from Spirit, a lot of people down here are antsy and obviously no one is saying anything about it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

FullMetalJacket posted:

:wtc: Weapons test? Recoil stuff? Someone explain what's going on here to me please.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Kitfox88 posted:

:wtc: Weapons test? Recoil stuff? Someone explain what's going on here to me please.

Jamming test. The only thing on the pylons is an ECM pod, and it's hard to simulate exactly how the signals it puts out will interact with the full airframe, at different angles to the receiver you're messing with, etc.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Experimental anti-aircraft turret.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

bennyfactor posted:

And yet, more reliable than the M247 Sgt. York.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Kitfox88 posted:

Another rocket-based short takeoff prototype.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0umWIPCPd4

Sorry if this has already been posted, but it's 60's as gently caress.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

bennyfactor posted:

:golfclap: This, right here: good answer.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This is also good:

atomicthumbs posted:

Another rocket-based short takeoff prototype.

If only because Zero-Length Launch is such a loving mental concept, even if it didn't pan out practically.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Major Kong over at DailyKos has posted a nice little infodump on the MiG-21.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

I currently have a Vampire and a Meteor buzzing around over my office, running pre-show tests before Farnborough starts next week.

It's been an awesome week to work right next to the airport, conference calls are way more fun when an F/A-18E/F Super Hornet is playing silly buggers outside.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Nebakenezzer posted:

From the comments:

quote:

It's tough and rugged, it always works anywhere, and you can make a zillion of 'em for just a few bucks.

It's the embodiment of Russian military philosophy.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nebakenezzer posted:

There's one sitting in a hanger at the nondescript local airport. Airworthy too.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
I know its not a MiG-21 but I picked up this little puppy today:

Newly overhauled engine:

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

MrChips posted:

Found another picture of the mass-abortion of 737s (click for large):

5039 (5030?) in the foreground looks like it'll end up as beer cans, what with that big tear. The one in the middle just *might* be OK.

They're talking about scrapping them on site now that they are out of the river.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Jazzahn posted:

I know its not a MiG-21 but I picked up this little puppy today:

Newly overhauled engine:

Nice!

Needs some pinstripes though, or maybe some flames. Or better, leave it all white and fly around in circles over places like Porcfest to make the paranoids go apeshit.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I went looking for the longest continuous flight record.

What I had expected was that, apart from modern purpose-built aircraft, there would be some cold war bomber (I thought a B-52 to be honest) that did some ridiculous always-aloft Alaskan patrol in the '50s or '60s.

I was wrong.

To be clear, I hit up Wikipedia to see the endurance record for manned, refuelled aircraft. It was not what I had expected.

What do you think it was?

The answer?

Cessna 172

Add to this the fact that I misread the wikipedia table - I thought it was 64 hours. It was, in fact, 64 days. Bear in mind that the airship record is slightly over 11 days.

Naturally I disbelieved this and thought that there was some gaming of regulations going on. Refuelling was via a truck - aha! thought I, they landed and then discounted it, like how those hand-on-car-to-win-the-car people get five minutes our for ablutions. I knew it couldn't be correct!

Oh no.

They drove the truck along a road and, after the electric fuel pump broke, hand-cranked the fuel into the belly tank as it drove along - once at night. All kinds of instrumentation and systems (including the autopilot, which did nothing except ensure level flight) were broken by the end of the stint. The biggest problem was carbon buildup in the engine, it seems.

Then you have the pilot's weight to factor in :pilot:, and the whole thing just shouldn't have happened.

Full story here: http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2008/March/1/Endurance-Test-Circa-1958

simplefish fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 11, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Colonial Air Force posted:

Nice!

Needs some pinstripes though, or maybe some flames. Or better, leave it all white and fly around in circles over places like Porcfest to make the paranoids go apeshit.

If you really want to drive the :tinfoil: types insane paint it flat black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

Nice!

Is there an aviation equivalent to Autozone vents? Get some of those.