Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

MrChips posted:

They're almost assuredly done. Even discounting water damage, the physical damage from falling off the train and into the river is probably enough by itself that they can't be saved.

Though I'll bet Michael O'Leary is on the phone with Boeing right now, looking for a pair of extra-cheap 737s :haw:

They might make decent training mockups though - Ryanair can't be the only airline that uses the fuselages from scrapped aircraft for cabin crew training (and lately for a pretty fancy engineer training rig that I had some involvement in before I left there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Back on GE90 chat, the article I pulled that image from has some good discussion from the pilots on what it's like flying with a ~70,000 lbf thrust asymmetry: http://www.flugrevue.de/flugzeugbau/ge-aviations-high-flying-laboratory/477338

quote:

The initial phase of take-off is particularly tricky. "As only seven percent of the airplane weight is on the nose gear the steering is very ineffective. If the aircraft starts to go off course and you try to correct it with the nosewheel tiller, it will just skid the tires. The rudder is not fully effective until you get to about 80 knots." This means that all three crew members have to assist with the take-off. "The pilot has his hand on throttle number one using that thrust to steer the airplane. He sets it up to some nominal level, if the airplane is goeing right he will reduce the thrust. The flight engineer is controlling engines number 3 and 4, while the copilot is handling the test engine. When the rudder comes effective, number one is set to full thrust. We usually do our take-offs at full thrust.

Another problem is the weight and balance. "Because of the larger or smaller engine being installed on the number two position we are no longer laterally balanced. Very large rolling moments can come in because the center of gravity is now across the wing span as opposed to longitudinally along the airplane. So we have two weight and balances we have to maintain: a normal one, and a lateral one that we have to counter-balance with special fuel loading and fuel manament."

But the big engines can also be fun. "With the three normal engines and something like the GE90 or even the Genx at full power, the 747 climbs like a rocket. It is good performing airplane. With the additional thrust it even surprises the controllers. I have experienced climb rates in excess of 6000 feet per minute."

So pretty close to early jet fighters already (F-86 is listed as ~9k feet per minute.) And remember that's just one GE90, 36% more thrust than a standard -100, vs a 147% increse with all 4. Fighter jet, indeed.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 4, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

evil_bunnY posted:

It's funny because it's what the camera array on the f-35 is supposed to do, and guess how well it works! Hint: it's made by lockheed.

Hey now, DAS is made by NG, not LockMart.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oh hey, look!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/runway+spurs+flood+noise+complaints+northeast/10001970/story.html

Although I do like that I can see planes turn in to approach from both my front and back doors now.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

At this point would it be better to scrap the helmet part of the Distributed Aperture System and just put some Oculus Rift mounts in the existing flight helmets? I mean, is the plucky startup (until recently) company actually further along than Northrup Grumman?

I'm going to assume that they aren't stuck on the 'put a bunch of outward facing cameras in the plane' aspect of this system since that doesn't seem like anything revolutionary, correct me if I'm wrong here.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jonny Nox posted:

Oh hey, look!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/runway+spurs+flood+noise+complaints+northeast/10001970/story.html

Although I do like that I can see planes turn in to approach from both my front and back doors now.

I was at an Airport Authority meeting yesterday, and it came up that the first noise complaint regarding 17L/35R (the new runway) was lodged just over two hours after it officially activated at 10am on the 28th. That's got to be some horrible new record.

Also between then and Thursday morning, about 100 noise complaints were filed. I don't really have any sympathy for those people; the airport had that land set aside expressly for building a new runway ever since the airport opened in 1975, so it isn't like this was a great big loving surprise or anything.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 5, 2014

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

At this point would it be better to scrap the helmet part of the Distributed Aperture System and just put some Oculus Rift mounts in the existing flight helmets? I mean, is the plucky startup (until recently) company actually further along than Northrup Grumman?

I'm going to assume that they aren't stuck on the 'put a bunch of outward facing cameras in the plane' aspect of this system since that doesn't seem like anything revolutionary, correct me if I'm wrong here.

Apache's been doing the helmet tracking/display thing effectively since the 70s/80s with 60s tech, and has working (as of yet unpurchased) integrated i2/flir image processing so what issues is DAS having? I flew one of the f35 sims in pre production several years ago and in fake computer land it worked pretty sweet. That seems like an odd thing to not have running yet since it's been done for so long in other places, unless I'm uninformed about some ambitious new capability it is supposed to have.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, existing technology may work perfectly and be the ideal solution to the problem. However, you see, it isn't ~*~fifth generation~*~ enough.

Also NIH syndrome, etc.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Found another picture of the mass-abortion of 737s (click for large):

5039 (5030?) in the foreground looks like it'll end up as beer cans, what with that big tear. The one in the middle just *might* be OK.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

MrChips posted:

5039 (5030?) in the foreground looks like it'll end up as beer cans, what with that big tear. The one in the middle just *might* be OK.

All of those airframes will be lucky to even end up as something as useful as beer cans. I can't see from a liability standpoint Boeing finishing out and selling a fuselage that's taken an unplanned trip down a hillside, even if it's not received any apparent damage. This is an industry that requires documentation and provenance on individual fasteners in order to ensure airworthiness, after all.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

bennyfactor posted:

All of those airframes will be lucky to even end up as something as useful as beer cans. I can't see from a liability standpoint Boeing finishing out and selling a fuselage that's taken an unplanned trip down a hillside, even if it's not received any apparent damage. This is an industry that requires documentation and provenance on individual fasteners in order to ensure airworthiness, after all.

Oh I'm definitely aware of that...

Boeing is likely to have all the damaged fuselages rerailed, at which point they'll be inspected. If their inspection teams feel the damage is repairable, you bet that particular fuselage will be repaired and put into service - the amount of damage they can and will repair in new or nearly new aircraft is frankly astonishing; there is no reason to think they won't go to the same effort for an aircraft that hasn't been built either.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

There's probably an insurance payout waiting to happen though, right? Small comfort for falling behind on delivery though.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

MrChips posted:

Boeing? More like...Rowing.

:downs:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Planes, trains and.. Well, that's it, really.

Those aren't two pillows!!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wasn't it boeing who had to start ferrying their planes in armored trains because the rednecks kept shooting them up?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The more sensitive small parts are enclosed. The fuselage however is exposed and they just repair it on delivery.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Apache's been doing the helmet tracking/display thing effectively since the 70s/80s with 60s tech, and has working (as of yet unpurchased) integrated i2/flir image processing so what issues is DAS having? I flew one of the f35 sims in pre production several years ago and in fake computer land it worked pretty sweet. That seems like an odd thing to not have running yet since it's been done for so long in other places, unless I'm uninformed about some ambitious new capability it is supposed to have.

I think in the Apache you're slewing the camera and directly feeding that to the one eye display. In the simulator you flew it was probably a simulated (hurr) DAS fed from a graphics card in some PC. In the real deal you have to do image processing from multiple cameras to render the final image. IIRC this process was taking 150ms, so the feedback loop from your head movement to your vision updating was 150ms, or around 14 beers, leading to pilot nausea. See: all the discussions about the new VR gaming gizmos and the importance of very low latency from head gyros to the display updating to avoid a lovely experience.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

karoshi posted:

I think in the Apache you're slewing the camera and directly feeding that to the one eye display. In the simulator you flew it was probably a simulated (hurr) DAS fed from a graphics card in some PC. In the real deal you have to do image processing from multiple cameras to render the final image. IIRC this process was taking 150ms, so the feedback loop from your head movement to your vision updating was 150ms, or around 14 beers, leading to pilot nausea. See: all the discussions about the new VR gaming gizmos and the importance of very low latency from head gyros to the display updating to avoid a lovely experience.

I figured as much, but flying with the tads as the night vision sensor (instead of the pnvs) the slew rate is wayyy behind your actual head motion unless you exercise some neck discipline and we still manage. Sounds like their pilots need more heart! :derp:

I just didn't think the stitching of video would be such a technical challenge for a "hookers and blow every night" airframe cost, but it's also not my field so I guess I'm wrong.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

MrChips posted:

I was at an Airport Authority meeting yesterday, and it came up that the first noise complaint regarding 17L/35R (the new runway) was lodged just over two hours after it officially activated at 10am on the 28th. That's got to be some horrible new record.

Also between then and Thursday morning, about 100 noise complaints were filed. I don't really have any sympathy for those people; the airport had that land set aside expressly for building a new runway ever since the airport opened in 1975, so it isn't like this was a great big loving surprise or anything.

Reminder that people regularly build houses around race tracks, then file noise complaints and get them shut down.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Stealth Like posted:

Reminder that people regularly build houses around race tracks, then file noise complaints and get them shut down.

Same with building around (100+ year old) gun ranges and then freaking out at the sound of distant gunfire. "The real estate agent didn't warn me" is a terribly overpowered excuse, particularly in today's era of Google Maps.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Wait, so if you don't pay for a survey and your house starts to suffer subsidence, can you say "the estate agent didn't warn me" and get your money back?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
There is no joke a gun range I used to go to that has been around since the 1850s here in Washington. Cue a bunch of fuckheads building as many houses as they can directly up against the property line of this place and everyone throwing a shitfit and trying to get it shut down all the time. gently caress NIMBYs.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Same with building around (100+ year old) gun ranges and then freaking out at the sound of distant gunfire. "The real estate agent didn't warn me" is a terribly overpowered excuse, particularly in today's era of Google Maps.

Even if the agent doesn't warn them, there is a separate document that you must sign when purchasing a house that has all of the potential noise/dust/hazardous materials plant/etc. that exist within a fairly large radius of the house, and you acknowledge the prior existence of these things (said things include flight paths of nearby* airports) and accept them.

The fact that anyone that signs these documents ever manage to get places closed is a continual source of amazement to me, and makes me wonder why the gently caress we even bother with legal documents when everyone just ignores them anyway.

*nearby is variable - my house came with a warning about aircraft from Luke AFB because the planes fly to/from a bombing range over this area. The base is about 17 miles away as the crow flies.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Man the 787-10 is long*:

*if it ends up actually existing

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mike-o posted:

There is no joke a gun range I used to go to that has been around since the 1850s here in Washington. Cue a bunch of fuckheads building as many houses as they can directly up against the property line of this place and everyone throwing a shitfit and trying to get it shut down all the time. gently caress NIMBYs.

So it goes

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Alereon posted:

Man the 787-10 is long*:

*if it ends up actually existing

Here's one that does exist:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Everyone here loves the 787, I know, but... I'm not a fan (looks-wise).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They must be pissed that Boeing won't allow anyone to paint the nacelles.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Is Tg high enough with the structure of the 787 that black paint won't cause structural issues?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Air Canada's 787 engine cowls are painted the same pleasing bass-boat glitter baby blue as the rest of the aircraft.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Linedance posted:

Air Canada's 787 engine cowls are painted the same pleasing bass-boat glitter baby blue as the rest of the aircraft.

Likewise British Airways did manage to get their 787 cowls in dark blue.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Why don't they allow it again? Can't easily see fluid leaks, obvious damage, etc?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

hobbesmaster posted:

I've heard that not painting the nacelles on NZE was a conscious decision. It'd be interesting to see the black engines against the white wings, I'll give you that- but there must have been some reason. I know NZ's been super pedantic about the aircraft in general.

Edit: From what I remember, the nacelles were only allowed to be one of two colors (originally) because they were the only two colors that could be painted thinly enough to not affect the nacelle's drag bucket.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The little Air NZ Airbus's have the nacelles painted black - it's just the Boeing's that don't for whatever reason.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

MrChips posted:

It's totally stripped though. Literally no avionics or furnishings in them, right? What would get soaked in an aluminum-polymer frame?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

It's totally stripped though. Literally no avionics or furnishings in them, right? What would get soaked in an aluminum-polymer frame?

As I understand it, the fuselage barrels are shipped completely empty; not only are there obviously no cabin fittings, but I understand there isn't any wiring, control runs, hydraulics or pneumatics installed either. Essentially, they're just a glorified beer can.

Powercube can shed more light on this; I've never seen the Renton line and what goes on there.

Also according to the banana-brains at Airliners.net, a Section 41 (the nose section) for a 767/KC-46/777 was also damaged in the derailment.

E: Thinking further on this, the biggest reason why this derailment causes a problem for Boeing is because they are already running the 737 line at essentially maximum capacity. Spirit Aerosystems, the subcontractor for the 737's fuselage, has basically said they can't build much more than 42 barrels per month, and are honestly struggling to keep up with the 40 per month they are currently tasked with. Building three additional fuselages, then integrating them into the production sequence is going to cause a lot of people in Seattle, Wichita and Chicago an awful lot of headaches.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 7, 2014

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

MrChips posted:

As I understand it, the fuselage barrels are shipped completely empty; not only are there obviously no cabin fittings, but I understand there isn't any wiring, control runs, hydraulics or pneumatics installed either. Essentially, they're just a glorified beer can.

Powercube can shed more light on this; I've never seen the Renton line and what goes on there.

Also according to the banana-brains at Airliners.net, a Section 41 (the nose section) for a 767/KC-46/777 was also damaged in the derailment.

They're as empty as the day is long, they're just tubes- all the fun stuff goes in on the rolling lines. Regardless, the word on the street is three write-offs. I agree with them, there are too many known unknowns, over-stresses, tears, gashes, to make them insurable.

The banana-brains are not wrong on the section 41 being damaged, I am just surprised that's newsworthy. If it's for a KC-46, that program's already so hosed it hurts and a delayed section 41 wont kill the timelines. I'll do some digging, because if it's a 777 section 41- someone's going to be pissed.

Edit: Yeah, Spirit can't handle that kind of damage or catastrophic situation - which makes me think that there are a lot of hair brained schemes going on. Everyone joking about overtime shifts and the lot are forgetting that there'd be no space for Spirit to build an extra three barrels. What surprises me the most is that this is an entirely novel occurrence.

Edit II: Boeing originally considered the Dreamlifters high-risk in terms of merchandise damage, they still do- their must be some serious heads exploding in Chicago if their safe method can do that much damage.

Powercube fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 6, 2014

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Holy poo poo, glad this didn't become another Tenerife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5THRSp4hM

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Was just about to post that. Scary poo poo, loving hell. Imagine if it had been foggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Some of the youtube commenters are claiming the A340 pilots should've looked before crossing the runway. Would they actually have visibility out of the cockpit in that direction? Seems possible that they wouldn't.