Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So I picked up these boxes in a thrift store a while ago and I'm trying to figure out what I've actually got here:

The core book (at least I think it's the core book, these boxes are messy and it was in the Dreamlands box for some reason) appears to be from 1982:

Also: The Cthulhu By Gaslight box has the Gaslight stuff and two paperbacks: Cthulhu Companion: Ghastly Adventures & Erudite Lore (1983) and Terror From The Stars (1986). Are they supposed to be in there or did someone just cram in a bunch of extra poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ettin posted:

Are they supposed to be in there or did someone just cram in a bunch of extra poo poo?
Those are extra, standalone books that got crammed in there.

Whole thing is probably worth a nontrivial amount on eBay.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

Those are extra, standalone books that got crammed in there.

So technically I got a discount! :toot:

quote:

Whole thing is probably worth a nontrivial amount on eBay.

Well right now I'm probably keeping it, but I might sell it in the future if I need cash so that's good to know. It's not in the best condition, but eh.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
I'm on a hunt to find the 2007 reprint version of the Delta Green source book (ie the one supporting d20 rules). A digital copy would be preferable. From what I gather the one on DriveThruRPG sadly sells the 1997 one. Any ideas where I can turn?

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
I think I am going to run Masks of Nyarlathotep in modern day times using the Laundry Files RPG. based on Charles Stross' Laundry Files books. I was first thinking about using the original setting but most of my players are IT fucks who know poo poo-all about history, geography and the world in general and I think it would be insanely funny to have them be part of a ISO 9001 compliant organisation.

I've put spoiler tags for those who have never played Masks of Nyarlathotep before, I'm not spoiling (that) much:

First I'll have them make their own characters, set them up as knowing one another and then have all of them know Jackson Elias. Jackson Elias is still an author but he also works for the Laundry's Media Relations department, writing books on crazy conspiracies and insane stories to create noise on the conspiracy market. The Laundry's argument here is that it's cheaper to flood the market with bogus stories then trying to squash every government conspiracy nut, alien believer or paranormal investigator. Problem is that Jackson Elias turned his work into his hobby and he started a little side operation looking into the Carlyle Expedition. Believing himself being watched by Counter-subversion he tries to enlist the players to help him, but then he gets assassinated.

The players then do regular investigations until poo poo goes down in the Ju-Ju house. During which the Laundry comes crashing down with a full strike team and saves them from the Ju-Ju monster. Counter-subversion has been keeping tabs on them since Elias' assassination and they are deemed useful (also, dangerous because they know too much already), they get forcefully recruited and put on the Carlyle case (because the Laundry doesn't know the full extend of the problem and only believes this is a minor problem, fit for newbies). Queue rest of the campaign but with Laundry support (which is extremely limited, because: departmental budget cuts).

I'll also start it in London, because New York is too iffy because of the US' Laundry equivalent: the Black Chamber.

Am I being too ambitious?

Might also be a nice addition to the OP to mention the Laundry Files RPG - I mean, it's Cthulhu based. Also: if you haven't read the Laundry Files novels yet, go do so. It's an awesome read.

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 26, 2014

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Hey guys, does anyone know of a good "how to play" video resource for Trail of Cthulhu? My husband and I read through the rules over a period of time (between school and work and life), so we're looking for something that would help gel everything we've read and remind us of a few of the details we may have lost along the way. In addition, I'm much more of a see examples person, so I felt like it'd be helpful in general for me to watch anyway.

We're playing our first game in a little over a week, and it'll be all people who have never played the gumshoe system before (ourselves included), so I'm nervous it'll devolve into weird rules lawyering and all that that comes with first time play of any system.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Speaking of Delta Green, the kickstarted anthology Tales from Failed Anatomies is available on DriveThruRPG in POD form.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Niemat posted:

Hey guys, does anyone know of a good "how to play" video resource for Trail of Cthulhu? My husband and I read through the rules over a period of time (between school and work and life), so we're looking for something that would help gel everything we've read and remind us of a few of the details we may have lost along the way. In addition, I'm much more of a see examples person, so I felt like it'd be helpful in general for me to watch anyway.

We're playing our first game in a little over a week, and it'll be all people who have never played the gumshoe system before (ourselves included), so I'm nervous it'll devolve into weird rules lawyering and all that that comes with first time play of any system.

I do not know of a video, but there are some documents on PelgranePress to give you simpler references. There's a 20ish page version with the various professions and a one page version with just the basic mechanics. http://www.pelgranepress.com/site/?tag=download&cat=10 They're under Forms and Handouts. There is also a link to an online character generator, the Black Book, which is nice for keeping track of the 2 for 1 spends from professions.

I can't vouch for any of the links, but did find a thread full of what you were asking about : http://www.yog-sothoth.com/topic/22506-actual-play-links/

I ran ToC last fall and felt like I didn't present it terribly well. So I don't have a lot of surefire tips, but I can say that it took a little while for Investigative Abilities and Spends to click with my players. The stability/sanity distinction is another one that throws people at first, especially CoC vets.

As an introduction to the rules, I tried having the players share control of one character during my "opener" sequence - the idea was that they controlled a doomed character and would get to see a little bit of investigation, combat, and the injury rules. (Genre-wise, it's also like your pre-theme song doomed character in the X-Files or whatever.) I think it was an okay idea, but having the players share control of the one character was bizarre and a bit too much like Everyone is John.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I trust everyone received the "mass e-mail to everyone who ever bought anything from us because we changed web providers and lost all our user preferences in the process" e-mail about the new Chaosium page?

http://www.chaosium.com/

I mean ... it looks nice! But of course I have forgotten if the old one looked nice.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I have a question for the thread, I've been playing/running Call of Cthulhu for 8 years now. And right now I'm a player in a friend who has been playing and running CoC for much much longer than I have game. Recently in the middle of a campaign we are in he ran the Age of Cthulhu Dreams of Japan adventure for us In which to successfuly complete the adventure the party has to commit suicide or watch the people close to them go to Japan to kill themselves in the famed suicide forest. He was going to ammened the scenario for those of us that didn't want to commit suicide to find a book that is mentioned in the adventure that could break the curse bit wasn't expanded on cause it over all was a very sloppy book, but he later declared he was going with the as written ending. Now I understand that CoC is a deadly game but I feel like that scenario might have been better as a one shot than thrown in the middle of our on going episodic adventures.

So my question is, was it a bad call for him to throw that in there at that time?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
As part of an ongoing thing? Hell yeah that's a terrible idea.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Generally any thought that starts with "I know what would spice up this ongoing campaign" and ends with "...and then the PCs kill themselves" is a stupid idea.

Commissar Kip posted:

Am I being too ambitious?

This was a few days ago but I just want to say I'm digging this, and if your players don't know poo poo about other countries you'll definitely be fine.

I hope they are all playing white characters when they travel to Australia though :v:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 2, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I assumed RPGs had a gentleman's agreement to never frame suicide in a positive light after the Satanic Panic.

That's a balls thing to put in an adventure. Do anything else.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Sionak posted:

I do not know of a video, but there are some documents on PelgranePress to give you simpler references. There's a 20ish page version with the various professions and a one page version with just the basic mechanics. http://www.pelgranepress.com/site/?tag=download&cat=10 They're under Forms and Handouts. There is also a link to an online character generator, the Black Book, which is nice for keeping track of the 2 for 1 spends from professions.

I can't vouch for any of the links, but did find a thread full of what you were asking about : http://www.yog-sothoth.com/topic/22506-actual-play-links/

I ran ToC last fall and felt like I didn't present it terribly well. So I don't have a lot of surefire tips, but I can say that it took a little while for Investigative Abilities and Spends to click with my players. The stability/sanity distinction is another one that throws people at first, especially CoC vets.

As an introduction to the rules, I tried having the players share control of one character during my "opener" sequence - the idea was that they controlled a doomed character and would get to see a little bit of investigation, combat, and the injury rules. (Genre-wise, it's also like your pre-theme song doomed character in the X-Files or whatever.) I think it was an okay idea, but having the players share control of the one character was bizarre and a bit too much like Everyone is John.

Thanks! I haven't had time to sift through all of the links yet, but they look like they'll give me a jumping off point to hopefully be more successful!

I probably should have just hedged my bets and gone with CoC, but the Gumshoe system seems like it could be such a neat one.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

neongrey posted:

As part of an ongoing thing? Hell yeah that's a terrible idea.

Ok, I thought so. After the adventure concluded I expressed disbelief and thought that is was a crap adventure that it would end like that. One guy asked if I ever played Beyond the Mountains of Madness, when I said no, he literally laughed in my face and told me I didn't know anything. Meanwhile been playing and running CoC for over 8 years at this point. But my own GM, I guess instincts thought it was a bad idea. The problem comes down to I think our GM ran it cause the player who laughed in my face has been bugging him for months to run something from the Japan sourcebook, but were set in the late 20s right now so I guess he went with that. Which I think makes the situation worse since my character was forced to kill himself because one player really wanted to go to Japan. He also loved that he had to kill himself and thought it was great.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

KomradeX posted:

Ok, I thought so. After the adventure concluded I expressed disbelief and thought that is was a crap adventure that it would end like that. One guy asked if I ever played Beyond the Mountains of Madness, when I said no, he literally laughed in my face and told me I didn't know anything. Meanwhile been playing and running CoC for over 8 years at this point. But my own GM, I guess instincts thought it was a bad idea. The problem comes down to I think our GM ran it cause the player who laughed in my face has been bugging him for months to run something from the Japan sourcebook, but were set in the late 20s right now so I guess he went with that. Which I think makes the situation worse since my character was forced to kill himself because one player really wanted to go to Japan. He also loved that he had to kill himself and thought it was great.

"You like to have fun in a different way than I do? loving PUSSY"

I can kind of empathize with his view, though. I once ran one of Graham Walmsley's ToC Purist Adventures for my group because I thought it was really cool, but they all disliked it. The thing about the Purist Adventures is that the characters can't actually do anything to stop the horror - they can make choices that impact themselves and the people around them, but the Old Ones are going to win no matter what. That's in keeping with the original source material and I thought a different kind of adventure would be fun, but it didn't actually occur to me that my players wouldn't enjoy it until they told me so after the session was over. The difference between me and that guy, however, is that I apologized to my friends instead of laughing at them.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

"You like to have fun in a different way than I do? loving PUSSY"

I can kind of empathize with his view, though. I once ran one of Graham Walmsley's ToC Purist Adventures for my group because I thought it was really cool, but they all disliked it. The thing about the Purist Adventures is that the characters can't actually do anything to stop the horror - they can make choices that impact themselves and the people around them, but the Old Ones are going to win no matter what. That's in keeping with the original source material and I thought a different kind of adventure would be fun, but it didn't actually occur to me that my players wouldn't enjoy it until they told me so after the session was over. The difference between me and that guy, however, is that I apologized to my friends instead of laughing at them.

He's kind of a selfish dick when it comes to playing the game. He ruins the moments all the time by being too jokey and when something serious is happening to others he pushes for the wackiest things, but gets pissed off if you do that to him. Him laughing in my face really loving pissed me off.

I like Purist play, that you can only win against the mythos for now. But there always and things you don't know about, and at best you can hope for is holding them at the door for now, but eventually you know they will win but someone has to do something even if it means fighting a series of Pyrrhic victories. But this was all sorts of bullshit, now yes as a one shot it would have been fine, but to throw it in the middle of an on going game where we just had people start playing (and they got to live cause they were there for the first part but not the ending so they got retconned out and got to live) was a bad move. That sort of ending is fine for a one shot, one night game. But to do it in the middle of campaign is a good way to sour people off.

Or even to return to Beyond the Mountains of Madness, didn't Chaosium fix the part of the adventure where if you don't think of their exact solution the world ends and game over in it's more recent printings?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
That person sounds like a terrible rear end in a top hat and you should stop playing with him or at least stop playing horror games with him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah you really need to flush that poo poo person from your life, or at least your gaming table.

Know who's played Beyond the Mountains of Madness? Nobody. It's a mammoth out-of-print (until recently?) book that was nearly impossible to find and prohibitively expensive when you could. It's also an extended campaign for a game with a high bodycount, which is about as good an idea as it sounds.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

That person sounds like a terrible rear end in a top hat and you should stop playing with him or at least stop playing horror games with him.

Well sadly I didn't put the group together and it comes down to playing in a horror game or not playing at all (I'm not a fan of Pathfinder which another friend of mine is running). Theres another guy who might quit over this guy, but if he stays on I'll stay cause he makes it worth while.

The last session I got my own little revenge in that we were searching though some luggage, I found a bunch of Yen (cause we were in Japan in the 1920s) and I kept it for myself and he got pissy at that. It was normally something I wouldn't have done but I was so drat aggravated with that game, not that it matters cause we had to kill ourselves.

Right now we're in the middle of a month long break cause he got some kind of acting gig (funny story this guy is a Republican just to piss off his liberal actor friends), a player who just joined us is on vacation and the GM wanted to take some time to get stuff done. So were suppose to pick it back up in two weeks.

moths posted:

Yeah you really need to flush that poo poo person from your life, or at least your gaming table.

Know who's played Beyond the Mountains of Madness? Nobody. It's a mammoth out-of-print (until recently?) book that was nearly impossible to find and prohibitively expensive when you could. It's also an extended campaign for a game with a high bodycount, which is about as good an idea as it sounds.

Funny enough I did, or really he ended flushing me from his life for some small perceived slight against him I apparently did. But when this game store opened up near by we had some kind of rapprochement, but recently it's been entirely all the reasons I was glad he was out of my life. Like ever since he saw the new Godzilla movie he was bringing a Godzilla toy with him every week, he's in his mid 30s. And all he goes on about is how he's played too many games.

That's right cause I had to buy a copy of BTMOM used, I remember cause it came all the way from the UK, I haven't read it in years at this point. But I always did want to play in it, since it looks like its a hell of an experience to do so. I also never played in Masks, and I don't own a copy; something I've been meaning to rectify for a while but haven't gotten around to it. But I would love to play in those but for the most part I was the GM and back when we were close he would complain about how he didn't like Call of Cthulhu cause it was so formulaic (a complaint he still brings up at the table while were playing it) so I never really had the chance to play in any of those, and either the people I know had already played it or really wouldn't be interested in playing them.

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 4, 2014

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
That guy sounds pretty unpleasant to play or even hang out with.

I am really not a fan of suicide as the solution to an adventure, even for the end of a one-shot. For one, I think it's bad design - having only one solution to any problem is not great in adventures and it's very dis-empowering even for a horror genre. It feels like like the sacrifices that can make CoC really great and more like a "kill x investigators to proceed" type moment.

For two, you really don't know your players' entire background and (again, even for a horror game) that could easily touch on some stuff that they don't want to deal with in a game context, whether it's their personal experiences or something with a friend or family member.

As for these mega-campaigns like Beyond the Mountains of Madness or Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, I am curious how many people have played one or more. I never have - and I find it can be difficult to get a really good Lovecraftian or horror vibe going in a few sessions of an on-going campaign. Doing so for a year or more as part of a scripted campaign seems much more challenging to me. Are these adventures usually played in more of a pulpy vein?

(Going off what Pththya-lyi said and my own experiences, I suspect that there a lot more Pulp CoC/ToC games being played than Purist ones anyways.)

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Sionak posted:

As for these mega-campaigns like Beyond the Mountains of Madness or Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, I am curious how many people have played one or more. I never have - and I find it can be difficult to get a really good Lovecraftian or horror vibe going in a few sessions of an on-going campaign. Doing so for a year or more as part of a scripted campaign seems much more challenging to me. Are these adventures usually played in more of a pulpy vein?

My group just finished a year-long Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign that was incredible -- while there was the occasional down/off/exploratory session, we typically had some sort of major threat to face every time we played, and the threat of the world ending was constantly looming over the entire campaign given the timetable until Nyarlathotep was summoned. At least one major cult leader (and often more) were in every location we visited, and they were doing all sorts of hosed up Lovecraftian things all over the world.

My DM actually wrote up a short thing on Reddit about it and is answering questions, if you wanted to know more from the DM side. Our campaign was really unique -- he deviated from the books quite a bit, and we had a secret group of his friends playing the villains and we didn't know until the entire thing was over.

http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/29xp9z/my_year_of_lies_part_one_my_groups_experience/

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Aerox posted:

My group just finished a year-long Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign that was incredible -- while there was the occasional down/off/exploratory session, we typically had some sort of major threat to face every time we played, and the threat of the world ending was constantly looming over the entire campaign given the timetable until Nyarlathotep was summoned. At least one major cult leader (and often more) were in every location we visited, and they were doing all sorts of hosed up Lovecraftian things all over the world.

My DM actually wrote up a short thing on Reddit about it and is answering questions, if you wanted to know more from the DM side. Our campaign was really unique -- he deviated from the books quite a bit, and we had a secret group of his friends playing the villains and we didn't know until the entire thing was over.

http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/29xp9z/my_year_of_lies_part_one_my_groups_experience/

It is a small internet - that thread was one of the things I was thinking about when I asked the question. I thought that was a super cool set-up; that sort of a secret PVP type thing has appealed to me for a long time, but I've never been able to pull it off.

Did your character get killed off? How'd you feel when you found out that you'd been playing against not just one devious mind but several? Any favorite anecdotes?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Sionak posted:

It is a small internet - that thread was one of the things I was thinking about when I asked the question. I thought that was a super cool set-up; that sort of a secret PVP type thing has appealed to me for a long time, but I've never been able to pull it off.

Did your character get killed off? How'd you feel when you found out that you'd been playing against not just one devious mind but several? Any favorite anecdotes?

Yeah, I had a few characters die.

As some backstory, the very first game our group played was 4E D&D, and I had a grossly overpowered ranger that could essentially single-handedly win fights for us, and I think a lot of people were mad that I was so OP. In the later games we played in different systems, I tried to play more non-combat characters. I hadn't played Cthulhu before, but I had heard from other friends that combat was deadly, that it was really easy to die, and that investigation was critical, so I rolled up a librarian named Violet Juneberg who tried as hard as possible to avoid combat and stay alive.

Unfortunately, and I didn't realize it at the time, Masks is VERY combat heavy for a Cthulhu game. The schtick was cute for a while, but Violet's entire thing was basically refusing to enter dangerous situations and hiding any time a fight broke out. People got really tired of it because I'd always try to recommend we NOT charge into a room full of cultists and try to shoot them all.

She lasted longer than any other original character besides Craig Grummins, but finally died in Australia when she decided to come out of hiding during a particularly nasty gun battle and try to save one of Jacob's characters, I think one of the Schteubenfists (I can't remember), who was bleeding out. She saved him, and then took a single bullet to the chest that instantly killed her. It was kind of a relief, because everyone in the group hated her and I was ready to play a more active character.

Next character that took me almost to the end was a Grad Student of David Dodge's named Rowan Carmody. He didn't do anything particularly interesting, but was a lot more helpful to the group. He eventually died in the Ho Fong explosion debacle -- he survived the explosion, but ran out into the streets where the military was waiting and was blown apart by a ton of machine guns. Final character was the Japanese agent Isoge Taro, but I only played him for the last few sessions. He was a badass though.

My personal favorite anecdotes were probably two things involving Violet. Despite being extremely combat-averse, very early on in the adventure in New York she suffered temporary insanity and ended up with the murderous rage one. We had just subduded some storekeeper who had a lot of important information for us, but as soon as I hit the insanity I had her shoot him directly in the face before anyone could ask him any questions. I tried to bring up that bloodlust now and again, but her combat stats were awful so it was hard to pull off.

There was one time in Africa, though, where she happened across a sorcerer in an on-fire restuarant who had been sending death orbs after everyone. She was alone, no one else was around, and a couple of our other party members had been critically injured elsewhere. Thinking she was going to die anyway, I had her charge in at the dude with a brick in her purse, and a kitchen knife she had just grabbed from the kitchen. Thanks to an amazing roll, she singlehandedly crippled him with a brick to the skull and then stabbed him to death, walking out of the restaurant shortly before it completely went up in flames. No one else in the group was physically present to see it so everyone refused to believe her.

The reveal at the time was really surprising, but then it made a lot of stuff make sense. There were a couple times we had come across some of the cult leaders fighting and doing some bizarre things, and in the back of my mind I thought it was odd that some of that would be written in the adventure. We also thought that we had just missed a lot of clues and just failed to solve a lot of subplots like the Tower of London bombing, so knowing that was all insanity going on behind the scenes with other people put everything in perspective.

I was mostly impressed that James kept it a secret from our group the entire time, especially since he had told a bunch of our significant others early on apparently and they managed not to spill the beans either. We literally had no idea until the final session, and then it was like "Oh, poo poo, duh, that's why he was always texting so much while we played."

It was super, super fun.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Any tips on running Masks of Nyarlathotep? I'm not internet-rich enough to contribute to Yog-Sothoth in order to get access to the MoN Companion, so I'm wondering what advice y'all can offer me.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
For god's sake, make sure everyone has backup characters waiting.

I mean I feel like that's good Call of Cthulhu advice in general. But, you know.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

Any tips on running Masks of Nyarlathotep? I'm not internet-rich enough to contribute to Yog-Sothoth in order to get access to the MoN Companion, so I'm wondering what advice y'all can offer me.

We played without access to the Companion and it went fine. It's helpful but definitely not necessary.

Have all of the handouts and stuff in the book copied, printed, and cut out entirely before you even play your first game.

Make sure as a DM you're prepped and read-up on whatever area/continent the players are on. Most "chunks" of the game have multiple mysteries that don't have to be solved in any order, and there's not even really a set travel order aside from the beginning and end points -- our group went completely out of order of what the book had with no problems. Your group can and likely will suddenly decide to pack up and move to a new area with little warning to you, so make sure you're ready or be ready to call your game early that day so you can prep.

Make sure your players know that this is a very combat-heavy adventure compared to a lot of other Cthulhu adventures. It's not unreasonable for your group to get in one major fight per session, if not more.

Make the possibility of failure real. Part of the fun of the adventure for us was knowing we were working on a pretty strict timetable and making sure we managed our time; having the threat of summoning on a specific date gives you a timetable to work with. Keep careful track of the in-game time. You don't have to measure out each hour, but it's a good idea to keep a calendar so the players know what day they're on. It encourages them to be efficient while also preventing them from constantly sailing around the world to backtrack for clues or try to find other people/events they missed.

In terms of backup characters, you may want to actually avoid having your players create them in advance -- given how much you travel the world, it can be very difficult to get a pre-genned character where you need them. Our group had a houserule in that when you died, your new character had to be from the place your previous one died in (eg. Die in Hong Kong - your new character must be from Hong Kong and you have to explain why/how he finds the group.)

The exception to this was when we used some of the NPCs from the book -- I think the manual says that players should be free to use them, and they do really well in a pinch and often end up being great characters. One of the best characters in our game was an Australian Professor we pulled straight out of the book. That said, be a little wary of who you let your players be; some of the NPCs in there have ABSURD stats -- either multiple 80s and 90s in various things, or just tons and tons of skill points. The little Egyptian urchin Machmood (sp?) is completely out of control.

Don't be afraid to kill characters for doing something stupid. There are a lot of nasty traps and surprises built into the book, and skimping out on them is missing half the fun of Masks. If they can come up with an actual, clever solution to a seemingly hopeless problem, reward them, but don't hand them get-out-of-jail free cards when they make mistakes.

Most importantly: be willing and ready to improvise. The adventure is sprawling, filled with tons of obscure spells and events, and lots of NPCs that can easily become central to your campaign that have little written about them in the book. It is virtually guaranteed that your players are going to completely deviate from the adventure as scripted multiple times, and you should let them and tie it back into the overall campaign [One or more of your players will probably contact an Elder God at some point]. Some of the best stories from our game are things that were completely made up whole-sale. Feel free to replace villains with others, alter subquests, and tie some of the written stuff directly to the PCs. You can even work in secret with your players in advance, even, to give them personal/private motivations for joining the group. One of our PCs ended up being the son of one of the main villains and was out for revenge, and that arc provided us with almost a month of great adventuring and RP content, and it was 100% outside of anything from the source material.

Have fun! It's intense and a lot of work, but it's a really fantastic campaign if you can run it consistently.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Sionak posted:

That guy sounds pretty unpleasant to play or even hang out with.

I am really not a fan of suicide as the solution to an adventure, even for the end of a one-shot. For one, I think it's bad design - having only one solution to any problem is not great in adventures and it's very dis-empowering even for a horror genre. It feels like like the sacrifices that can make CoC really great and more like a "kill x investigators to proceed" type moment.

For two, you really don't know your players' entire background and (again, even for a horror game) that could easily touch on some stuff that they don't want to deal with in a game context, whether it's their personal experiences or something with a friend or family member.

(Going off what Pththya-lyi said and my own experiences, I suspect that there a lot more Pulp CoC/ToC games being played than Purist ones anyways.)

He really is, but for some reason hes very popular with some of the people in the gaming group, it boggles my mind. I agree that I think it's bad design, especially since we had defeated the big bad, or what ever it was that was drawing people there to kill themselves, we got out alive and this guy was like oh we have to kill ourselves, loving awesome! I poo poo you not he was excited about it, I was annoyed cause it's not even like we had the option, it was kill yourself or be driven insane. Well it's done with and next week instead of that I will be play testing a Roman scenario so I'm looking forward to that.

I've always wanted to play/run one of the mega campaigns, but I was the only CoC GM I knew for awhile and it was rough holding my gaming group together we could only really play at out schools Student Union which closed rather early and was until recently mostly a commuter school.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Have any of you guys used the other GUMSHOE games, namely Night's Black Agents or Esoterrorists, to do a Call of Cthulhu game? Like maybe for Delta Green reasons? It's been on my mind lately.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Halloween Jack posted:

Have any of you guys used the other GUMSHOE games, namely Night's Black Agents or Esoterrorists, to do a Call of Cthulhu game? Like maybe for Delta Green reasons? It's been on my mind lately.

I ran a 13 session game of Night's Black Agents set in Tokyo. http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/tribes-of-tokyo-a-nights-black-agents-campaign/

It's a pretty loving great game.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So this is sort of a retraction, but Age of Japan does not require the players to kill themselves. It was something our GM made us do because some players had a problem with me and wanted to try and get rid of me that way, So yeah, apologies about bad mouthing a printed adventure that didn't deserve that.

Halloween Jack posted:

Well you could just use Trail of Cthulhu for that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

KomradeX posted:

It was something our GM made us do because some players had a problem with me and wanted to try and get rid of me

I wish we had a social services thread for gamers, because resolving interpersonal problems with in-game action should be the number one red flag that you're dealing with toxic gamers.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

moths posted:

I was actually going to run this back in the day, spent what was to me at the time a small fortune on the book. Read it and realised there is no way in hell i was ever going to run this.

It's got a great setup and wonderful ideas, fantastic detail about the Antartic and it's exploration, but it's a terrible scenario.

It takes half the adventure to get to the ice, and that first half is just tedious. There's stuff like you have to roleplay gathering the expeditions supplies and checking (there's handouts) everything is where it should be.

When you get to the ice, there's about 50 NPC's whose names you're supposed to remember.

There's a rival german expediton, which are introduced but almost nothing is done with. It's a plot point that the leader of the expedition is anti-Nazi. Come on. How badly do you have to drop the ball to have a 1930's German expedition turn up and not have them fanatical Nazi's personally sent by Himmler to look for the entrance to the Hollow Earth (or something similar).

It's biggest problem however is it's incredibly railroady. Every chapter is full of timetables and fixed events. It's like the authors actually wanted to write a novel, but got stuck with having to create a supplement instead.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 14, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hey, can anybody point me to a source of general advice on running horror? I don't mind reading through lengthy series of columns, long guides, or whole books; I'm looking for as thorough an education as I can get. I've never run CoC as more than a one-shot, and while I've been complimented on doing horror well, I mostly do horror as an element tacked onto games in other genres. I'd really like to run lengthy Lovecraftian campaigns with an eye towards doing long-running games centered around a location or an organization of investigators, and I'd like to run one or two of the renowned CoC campaigns like Masks of Nyarlathotep. (I did read Detwiller's blog post in which he gave advice on the latter.)

KomradeX posted:

Well you could just use Trail of Cthulhu for that.
Well, the thing I liked about NBA is that it sort of...consolidated some stuff that I thought was inelegantly done in earlier Gumshoe games. Specifically, it seems that Esoterrorists dispensed with fiddly, tactical combat for the most part...but a lot of people like that stuff, so it was reapplied in the form of options in the player's guide, and similar stuff showed up in ToC. It's been awhile since I've skimmed over those two games, so I'm not sure, but I'm reading through NBA right now and it seems to have a consistent structure for some player options that I remember being kind of inelegant in ToC. I like the structure of having a "cherry" for all the General abilities at a certain level.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 14, 2014

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I like the structure of having a "cherry" for all the General abilities at a certain level.

I believe they went back and suggested ones for Trail of Cthulu skills in a recent article.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
So my current GM wants a break for a few months and I've been asked to run some Cthuhlu with a good amount of investigation.

I'm leaning towards running Eternal Lies in Trail of Cthulhu, bringing in cherries for having 8 skill.

Gonna take a read through Nights Black Agents as well but does anyone have any advice/experiences of running Eternal Lies/Trail?

I've run Cthulhu basic before but never Trail, looks interesting, is letting people refresh 1 point of pool a good reward for doing something characterful cool?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

HidaO-Win posted:

So my current GM wants a break for a few months and I've been asked to run some Cthuhlu with a good amount of investigation.

I'm leaning towards running Eternal Lies in Trail of Cthulhu, bringing in cherries for having 8 skill.

Gonna take a read through Nights Black Agents as well but does anyone have any advice/experiences of running Eternal Lies/Trail?

I've run Cthulhu basic before but never Trail, looks interesting, is letting people refresh 1 point of pool a good reward for doing something characterful cool?

I hate to point you at another forum, but honestly, there's a lot more discussion about Gumshoe/ToC in particular on the Yog-Sothoth boards, including some fairly long threads on Eternal Lies. http://www.yog-sothoth.com/forum/30-trail-of-cthulhu/ Here on SA, both the Cthulhu and Gumshoe threads are relatively quiet.

I haven't run Eternal Lies myself, but a point of refresh seems like a reasonable reward for a cool enough action.

I mentioned my thoughts on Trail a little further up this page, but I would definitely read through the sections on combat and sanity/stability loss a couple times; those were what took me a little while to mull over.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Playtesting the new Delta Green RPG! Having a ton of fun doing it. Don't want to talk about it too much yet, but there's no NDA at present. Anyone else checking it out?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't know that was in playtest already! How backward compatible did they go with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

moths posted:

I didn't know that was in playtest already! How backward compatible did they go with it?

I'm currently using the Bryson Springs scenario by Caleb Stokes to playtest it, though that didn't really have much in the way of stats. It seems very good at the sort of horror game they're going for. I don't know how much I'm really supposed to talk about mechanics as of yet, but if you wanted a game to run modern horror, you will definitely want to consider it.

Current phase of playtesting is still ongoing but will be ending soon. I'll ask Shane about what I can discuss and if/when I can upload the actual plays I've been recording for playtest purposes when I send my final playtest report.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 15, 2014