Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Do you have a link? I'm not finding it.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Xiao...s=xiaomi+piston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Thanks. I actually did see that, but was a little thrown by 100% absolute fake. Are they reproductions?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Thanks. I actually did see that, but was a little thrown by 100% absolute fake. Are they reproductions?

I'm sure fakes are all over the internet, but "boat2014" is selling real ones. The "100% fake" is part of a comment that if they are very cheap (i.e. under $22) they are most certainly fake. Basically, it's boat2014's way of reassuring you they are selling real ones though.

$25. Just do it (from boat2014 if you want to be sure they are real)

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I got back from a camping trip to find my Pistons arrived while I was away, from boat2014.
They seem pretty loving good for the price and are definitely the best in-ears I've ever used. Nothing to compare them too though.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

FYI - FOR SALE IN SA-MART:

SENNHEISER HD800 HEADPHONES: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648699

VIOLECTRIC HPA V200 AMP: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648475

MATRIX AUDI X-SABRE DAC: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648477

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Looking at the new V220, huh? Awesome. The HD 800s especially are an amazing deal at the price you have there and I imagine they will sell immediately.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 7, 2014

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ordered my piston from boat2014 on June 15th and finally got them today (New York). USPS somehow managed to spill coffee all over it, but everything was dry and fine inside.

Sounds great and controls work fine. My only complaint is that the ear tips run a bit on the small side (even the large one feels a bit loose to me) but I have plenty of tips from other IEMS. Cable running up to remote it fine, but from the remote to the drivers, it's definitely not as durable. Still, I'd recommend it.

E: After comparing it with some other IEMs, I really like the sound and fit on the Brainwaz S1's more, but for $24 you really can't go wrong with the Pistons.

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 7, 2014

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
Fiio E07k or JDS Labs c5d? I'm looking to pair them with an iphone5s and work laptop. They will drive modded grado sr125e (turbulent labs mahogany cups and g pads) and hifiman 400. The Fiio wins on price but the JDS gives me a made in the USA boner(great support). Thoughts?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

crunchytacosupreme posted:

Fiio E07k or JDS Labs c5d? I'm looking to pair them with an iphone5s and work laptop. They will drive modded grado sr125e (turbulent labs mahogany cups and g pads) and hifiman 400. The Fiio wins on price but the JDS gives me a made in the USA boner(great support). Thoughts?

Isn't battery life of the c5d like five hours or something abysmal like that?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ordered my piston from boat2014 on June 15th and finally got them today (New York). USPS somehow managed to spill coffee all over it, but everything was dry and fine inside.

Sounds great and controls work fine. My only complaint is that the ear tips run a bit on the small side (even the large one feels a bit loose to me) but I have plenty of tips from other IEMS. Cable running up to remote it fine, but from the remote to the drivers, it's definitely not as durable. Still, I'd recommend it.

E: After comparing it with some other IEMs, I really like the sound and fit on the Brainwaz S1's more, but for $24 you really can't go wrong with the Pistons.

I just put the rubber things from my sennheiser buds on the pistons. Much better than the brown ones that it came with.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So I got the AKG K712 and I really love it. Its ridiculously comfortable the open-ness of it allows sound to mix nicely and my ears to breath when using it. I got a magni/modi too and man is it a clean sound. I really love the setup I've got.

However, I've got the bug. I think the K712 will be my go-to for music and movies and what not but I am not absolutely loving it for gaming. Mostly because it is open so I don't get a lot of sound isolation and when I'm playing CS:GO I really need to be able to listen to the game and only the game. Also I am a big VR nerd and I feel like more sound isolation will lead to more immersion.

So, does anyone have any great recommendations for closed over-the-ear (circumaural) headphones good for gaming. I still have a budget of about ~$400. I don't need a headset with a microphone just the headphones as I have a quality standalone mic.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

ScienceAndMusic posted:

when I'm playing CS:GO I really need to be able to listen to the game and only the game.

I've found that too much isolation gives me problems in CS:GO when communicating over the mic because I can't hear myself and wind up yelling or speaking too quietly. When I was using a SM57 when playing GO I was able to just use the monitoring switch on my audio interface and could hear myself through IEMs fine. Switching to a more reasonable USB mic meant not being able to control monitoring through the interface so I've been using open-backed headphones with it.

Sure, I sacrifice some of my situational awareness but I'm not unintentionally shouting at my teammates.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
I could use some advice. For her birthday (16), my sister asked for a pair of EarPods. I'll get them for her, but I would like to also get her a nice pair of headphones for listening at home. I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD448s for the past four or five years, and I've really enjoyed them. I was thinking I'd like to get her something similar to those.

What headphone should I buy?
Budget - I'd like to spend around $50.
Source - Laptop, MP3 player, cell phone.
Isolation Requirements - Not really needed.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circum-aural or Supra-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, I suppose--open to suggestions. I'm not much of a sound guru.
Past Headphones - I like my Sennheiser HD448 headphones and want something like them for my sister.
Preferred Music - She listens to all kinds of music. Rock, pop, dance, instrumental, country, 80s synth, show tunes... the whole gamut. :v:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Misc posted:

I've found that too much isolation gives me problems in CS:GO when communicating over the mic because I can't hear myself and wind up yelling or speaking too quietly. When I was using a SM57 when playing GO I was able to just use the monitoring switch on my audio interface and could hear myself through IEMs fine. Switching to a more reasonable USB mic meant not being able to control monitoring through the interface so I've been using open-backed headphones with it.

Sure, I sacrifice some of my situational awareness but I'm not unintentionally shouting at my teammates.

I appreciate the insight but I don't have this problem and I am used to playing with my bose which make it almost impossible for me to really hear myself. I don't want sound cancellation anymore I want isolation. And I realize IEM's are the best way to go for isolation but I am just not a fan, so I am hoping to find a good pair of closed over-ears.

Also keep in mind this is a future purchase for VR (Though I have a DK1).

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I got the AKG K712 and I really love it. Its ridiculously comfortable the open-ness of it allows sound to mix nicely and my ears to breath when using it. I got a magni/modi too and man is it a clean sound. I really love the setup I've got.

However, I've got the bug. I think the K712 will be my go-to for music and movies and what not but I am not absolutely loving it for gaming. Mostly because it is open so I don't get a lot of sound isolation and when I'm playing CS:GO I really need to be able to listen to the game and only the game. Also I am a big VR nerd and I feel like more sound isolation will lead to more immersion.

So, does anyone have any great recommendations for closed over-the-ear (circumaural) headphones good for gaming. I still have a budget of about ~$400. I don't need a headset with a microphone just the headphones as I have a quality standalone mic.

Really for gaming, you're going to find that open headphones have much better soundstage for positioning. In fact, the K712 is one of the top choices for gaming. I can't comfortably recommend any closed headphones for competitive gaming.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've got a Schiit Valhalla 2 scheduled for a Friday delivery! Looking forward to stacking it up against the STX. Schiit allows returns with a 5% restocking fee for 15 days so that should be plenty of time to see whether or not a tube amp will make for a good pairing with the HD 800s. Their customer service is also pretty spot on! I just moved and forgot to include my unit number with the shipping address. Sent a message right after placing and had a representative email me back within the hour informing me that, though the order had already shipped (!), they would set it up with Fedex today to change the address. Already got my confirmation from them that it is all good to go.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MisterAlex posted:

I could use some advice. For her birthday (16), my sister asked for a pair of EarPods. I'll get them for her, but I would like to also get her a nice pair of headphones for listening at home. I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD448s for the past four or five years, and I've really enjoyed them. I was thinking I'd like to get her something similar to those.
Isn't she unlikely to even use full size headphones? Perhaps nicer IEMs are the way to go?

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't she unlikely to even use full size headphones? Perhaps nicer IEMs are the way to go?
The thought had crossed my mind. I'm afraid if I get her EarPods and another pair of in-ear headphones, she'll just ignore the other ones. And if I only get her the different pair of in-ear headphones, she'll see them as "not EarPods," and any assessment of their quality will be unfairly skewed.

I don't doubt she'd make use of a nice headset, though. Probably not for when she's out and about, but I'm pretty sure she'd use them at home and riding in the car.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

OK I think I will give my open headphones a bit more of a shot. I just wish there was a way to adjust the K712's because the "self adjusting band" won't slide down and I guess my head is small or something because When its on my ears I am barely touching the headband and it always slowly slides down.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MisterAlex posted:

The thought had crossed my mind. I'm afraid if I get her EarPods and another pair of in-ear headphones, she'll just ignore the other ones. And if I only get her the different pair of in-ear headphones, she'll see them as "not EarPods," and any assessment of their quality will be unfairly skewed.

I don't doubt she'd make use of a nice headset, though. Probably not for when she's out and about, but I'm pretty sure she'd use them at home and riding in the car.
I think that in this case, anything other than EarPods is likely to be wasted. She's only 16, so there's plenty of opportunity for her to become an audiophile. In the meantime, the EarPods aren't terrible.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I ended up getting the HD 518s and I'm not sure they work for me. They clamp down on my head and glasses relatively hard. Not so hard to be uncomfortable at all, but what it does do is bend my glasses ever-so-slightly, enough to gently caress with my eyes. It's like the effect you get for a day or two when you have new glasses where they feel all weird except I don't think this will go away because it's only there when I'm wearing headphones. Can I expect them to get looser over time or would it be better if I return them and keep looking? Otherwise I'm really liking them, and they're comfortable sitting on my head except for this weird issue. :/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Equilibrium posted:

Philips Fidelio X1. Best combination of an open soundstage and bass you're going to find for vidya gaming/music at that price point. You don't need an amp.

Thanks for the recommendation, they came today and the sound is great. I definitely do need an amp though, my computer can drive them at a comfortable volume but I'm completely maxed out. What's a good relatively inexpensive DAC/amp that would pair well with these?

EDIT: Nevermind I forgot that when the rear end in a top hat broke into my house 4 years ago and stole my HD600s he left the amp, sooo much better.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 9, 2014

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

drat, HD800 for $725 is loving tempting. Won't be surprised if someone bites by the end of the day. Would get them myself, but I recently bought an AD2000X and my girlfriend will get pissy at me again for spending another couple hundred on headphones :v:

halokiller fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 9, 2014

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I think that in this case, anything other than EarPods is likely to be wasted. She's only 16, so there's plenty of opportunity for her to become an audiophile. In the meantime, the EarPods aren't terrible.
Alright, I appreciate the input. I'll just get her the EarPods.

I have another question. Or two, actually.
1. The outer "skin" on the pads for my HD448 headphones has started to crack in places. Do y'all know a good place I can get replacements?
2. I've also seen that the headphone pads come in different materials; what's the best option (than the thin, leathery skin) if I want them to be more durable and last longer?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Anyone here have any experience with mad dog pro's?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

halokiller posted:

drat, HD800 for $725 is loving tempting. Won't be surprised if someone bites by the end of the day. Would get them myself, but I recently bought an AD2000X and my girlfriend will get pissy at me again for spending another couple hundred on headphones :v:

Yeah, what a crazy deal. I spent over a grand for used and I am incredibly happy with these cans. Couldn't see myself with another pair of headphones.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
If I hadn't just spent $500 on the pair of ATH-W1000s, I'd probably have talked myself into it. While I haven't heard the HD800s, I generally like the Sennheiser sound signature (I use a pair of HD600s as my everyday headphones) and have heard nothing but good things so I'd love to check them out myself. But spending over $1200 on headphones within the span of a week is something that I couldn't talk myself into doing even at the height of my fiscal irresponsibility.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

halokiller posted:

If I had actually finished my PhD on schedule, I'd be all over the HD800s.

I'll just have to cry myself to sleep with my HD650s. :unsmith:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

gently caress I want those HD800's but

halokiller posted:

I'm literally this.

Luckily I love the 2KX's but I'm so curious as to how the 800's sound...

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I'm so curious as to how the 800's sound...

They sound loving awesome.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I got my Pistons in today. Can't believe I've dropped $60 twice on Kilpsch S4i's when these exist.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I got my Pistons in today. Can't believe I've dropped $60 twice on Kilpsch S4i's when these exist.

Got a link to what you got?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Got a link to what you got?

Here ya go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KBQ3AGO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: The only downside so far is that the remote is not iOS compatible.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 10, 2014

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I appreciate the insight but I don't have this problem and I am used to playing with my bose which make it almost impossible for me to really hear myself. I don't want sound cancellation anymore I want isolation. And I realize IEM's are the best way to go for isolation but I am just not a fan, so I am hoping to find a good pair of closed over-ears.

Also keep in mind this is a future purchase for VR (Though I have a DK1).

I agree you are probably good with what you have, however, you could check out the beoplay h6's. They are closed, but have a very openish sound. I use them at work as they isolate well, sound fantastic, are lightweight, and super comfortable all day long. Far superior to other senns including 595s, 650s, and hd-25 II's in terms of comfort.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Here ya go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KBQ3AGO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: The only downside so far is that the remote is not iOS compatible.

Is this link claiming that this link: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Xiaomi-Earphone-Headphone-Smartphone/dp/B00HUNUOJW contains fake rip offs?

GoodCleanFun posted:

I agree you are probably good with what you have, however, you could check out the beoplay h6's. They are closed, but have a very openish sound. I use them at work as they isolate well, sound fantastic, are lightweight, and super comfortable all day long. Far superior to other senns including 595s, 650s, and hd-25 II's in terms of comfort.

I am checking out the mad dog pro's actually. Closed but reviews say it has an open like sound stage. I am ordering them and if I don't like them they have a 15 day return policy.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Ha, I literally asked this question in the second post of this page.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Ha, I literally asked this question in the second post of this page.

And they sound good to you? They seem legit?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

ScienceAndMusic posted:

And they sound good to you? They seem legit?

They sound really good. Noticeably better than the S4i's, which I found to be a massive improvement over the apple earbuds, and EarPods that they replaced. As hotsauce said, you can't go wrong for $25 with these.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

My 6-7 year old gaming headset is dying slowly and right now I can afford to buy some new headphones so I thought, after reading this thread, that I might go for decent non-gaming specific headphones and maybe get a usb mic at some point if I need to. I don't know anything about audio stuff at all.

Budget - 150 NZD (132 USD right now apparently) max, although I'd prefer lower
Source - For use in my computer only.
Isolation Requirements - My computer is in my room so I don't really need any isolation.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural preferably or supa-aural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or bassy
Past Headphones - lovely gaming headphones that were actually pretty comfortable after being worn in.
Preferred Music - Everything at some point, but primarily electronica, rock, jazz and rap.

Comfort is probably one of my top priorities as sometimes I can be wearing my headphones for 3-4 hours at a time. And again, I don't know anything about audio stuff. Is 3.5mm preferred to USB? I'm ready to make the transition to decent quality audio. My body is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I'd like to get some advice on headsets and it seems you guys are the people to ask. I too have an old gaming headset. It's been shorting out a bit for a while, which means it's time to replace them.

Budget - I'd say I could go up to $100, but I could probably go up to about $150 if the headset was exceptional.
Source - Pretty much only for my computer.
Isolation Requirements - Not a necessity.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Vastly prefer circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'd say I prefer a good bass, but I wouldn't turn down something that was "balanced." I'm honestly a bit of an audio philistine.
Past Headphones - Currently I have some sort of Plantronics circumaural headset, and while it's lasted a long time, I did have to tape up the left earpiece after it broke off.
Preferred Music - Pretty much anything one could lump into electronica. Generally stuff with a lot of bass.

With this criteria, would it be possible to purchase a reasonable wireless headset? I can certainly live without wireless as I do so already, but it would be convenient, provided there's no weird problems with battery life or audio distortions while it's charging or something. I'm gonna try to spend a little time reading through the thread to get a better grasp on all this crazy audio stuff, but I would really appreciate the input as well.