Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Smash 4 is guaranteed to be a poo poo game because the dumbass Sakurai is working on it. Why Nintendo didn't swallow their pride and hire actual masters at their craft like the Project: M dev team is unfathomable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

I feel like people are focusing too hard on the Mod part of the thing and not realizing how much of a herculean effort it is to actually mod a game like Brawl without easy access to the source or development tools.

Reverse engineering is incredibly, incredibly difficult! They had to make all of the tools themselves to allow them to modify large parts of the game and most of the coding is done in assembly. That to me is insane, especially since you have to try and weave your code into an already finished game. It's pretty impressive and is its own game at this point.

It's certainly very impressive and laudable, but when it goes hand in hand with "gently caress everyone who did all the stuff that came before," it looks lovely. Fortunately I don't think the actual Project M developers have been anything but respectful of the Smash Bros team.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bicyclops posted:

Project M is a little like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. It's not necessarily difficult to install but it is an extra step. It is not an objectively superior product but appeals to a specific kind of player. It's for a niche group of players who do not make up the majority of people who play the game and they enjoy it very much and good for them, but maybe we don't need to hear about it every single time any aspect of the game is mentioned.

OOO is better than its vanilla counterpart so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

The Crusher posted:

The bike gave Wario some really serious recovery options, I thought.

When used in the air, it essentially gave him a third double-jump. If you pulled back before you jumped off the bike, it sent him higher (much higher than either of his normal jumps); if you pushed forward, it sent him forward. That, coupled with his waft, essentially gave him the second best recovery in the game (behind Meta Knight). Whatever boost his shoulder bash gives him in PM is peanuts in comparison.

I know the topic's moved on but I knew a thing and I wanted to share my knowledge.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lessail posted:

Smash 4 is guaranteed to be a poo poo game because the dumbass Sakurai is working on it. Why Nintendo didn't swallow their pride and hire actual masters at their craft like the Project: M dev team is unfathomable.

Like, I know this is trolling from the phrasing and all but it is what some people actually believe

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I generally like Project M, but I do think it suffers from its design goals being so specific--ie similarity to melee and tournament play. Too many stages including Sonic's are sort of robbed of character. Not that I'm a huge fan of the actual Brawl Green Hill Zone but it would have been cool to actually make an interesting stage of it instead of 'eh, let's make it like Final Destination'

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Like, I know this is trolling from the phrasing and all but it is what some people actually believe

It's not unheard of for companies to hire modders who have made impressive product using their game. Didn't L4D start out as a mod?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Lessail posted:

Melee was Sakurai's greatest failure. Lets hope he's incompetent with this new one and "accidentally" leaves in deep mechanics.

fadam posted:

It's not unheard of for companies to hire modders who have made impressive product using their game. Didn't L4D start out as a mod?

That was Portal. IIRC the team got hired onto Valve right out of DigiPen.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

fadam posted:

I don't think you understand what he meant. It's not that Nintendo shouldn't hire the Project M team to help build Smash 4 it's letting Project M devs make Smash 4 by themselves.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Chaltab posted:

I generally like Project M, but I do think it suffers from its design goals being so specific--ie similarity to melee and tournament play. Too many stages including Sonic's are sort of robbed of character. Not that I'm a huge fan of the actual Brawl Green Hill Zone but it would have been cool to actually make an interesting stage of it instead of 'eh, let's make it like Final Destination'

This I definitely agree with. It's understandable why a lot of the Brawl stages aren't considered legal, and in theory creating legal versions of those stages is better than banning them, but the alternate designs they've come up with are all so basic.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

GenericMartini posted:

I don't think you understand what he meant. It's not that Nintendo shouldn't hire the Project M team to help build Smash 4 it's letting Project M make Smash 4 by themselves.

Oh yeah, of course that would never happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also a Japanese company hiring non-Japanese people to work with their largely Japanese staff might have some language issues.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Chaltab posted:

I disagree, mainly because the stages they changed were absolutely terrible to actually play on and the gimmick wasn't very fun after the first few times. Like the WarioWare stage was fun once or twice and then the minigames became more annoying than fun. Or New Pork City, because New Pork City.

The stages they've added are some of my favorites, like Hyrule Castle and Fourside.

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 8, 2014

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Maple Leaf posted:

That, coupled with his waft, essentially gave him the second best recovery in the game (behind Meta Knight).

R.O.B. :colbert:

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Also a Japanese company hiring non-Japanese people to work with their largely Japanese staff might have some language issues.

just let them take over because they're obviously better than that dirty bum Sakurai

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wario Ware stage is awesome, they need to add more minigames not less. Put the entire catalog of Warioware minigames in there.

If y'all don't stop talkin nonsense I'm gonna call up my uncle at Nintendo and have them put tripping back in

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Personally as long as I can get drunk and laugh until I'm red in the face I'd consider any game a success :o)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

fadam posted:

Doesn't exactly match the case here, but pretty much everything in Valve's catalog are from mods. Dota, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike... hell, I think Half-Life is the only one that isn't.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

but maybe we don't need to hear about it every single time any aspect of the game is mentioned.

You would be surprised by the sheer amount of people who legitimately think Sakurai is a horrible person just because he didn't cater to their wishes about a party video game and will go the extra length just to spite him and people who enjoy his work.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cleretic posted:

Doesn't exactly match the case here, but pretty much everything in Valve's catalog are from mods. Dota, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike... hell, I think Half-Life is the only one that isn't.

Portal.

I was going to make a joke about Ricochet but that was a half life mod too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mr.capps posted:

Portal.

I was going to make a joke about Ricochet but that was a half life mod too.

Both Portals were made when Valve saw student games and decided to hire them. So they practically count.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

TerminusEst13 posted:

You would be surprised by the sheer amount of people who legitimately think Sakurai is a horrible person just because he didn't cater to their wishes about a party video game and will go the extra length just to spite him and people who enjoy his work.

You'd be surprised how few people actually think that in this thread yet it keeps getting brought up for some reason

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I have played Project M all of one time, and the one thing I really want from it is Lucario's super-slow, high power neutral B. It's just such a good spacing tool that even a scrub like me can enjoy (or punish the poo poo out of people with a charged ball).

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Project M is bad because I played it once and tripped on a banana.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I really hope we get some remotely interesting news in the next Miiverse post, so we can talk about that instead of Project M. You know what? Here's the Project M thread.

I wonder if we'll get another Smash info dump (comparable to E3 or Smash Direct) between now and the JPN 3DS launch. I am more curious now if the 3DS has any other features beyond Smash Run. I can imagine a smaller Direct video between the 3DS and WiiU launch just to showcase the WiiU features still under wraps.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The main reason you should play Project M is that it un-nerfs Jigglypuff. :colbert:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reiley posted:

Personally as long as I can get drunk and laugh until I'm red in the face I'd consider any game a success :o)

Drinking? Laughter? Those sound like things for a.... party game

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Zonekeeper posted:

The main reason you should play Project M is that it un-nerfs Jigglypuff. :colbert:

This is true but they also gave every character that wasn't a melee top tier a ridiculous recovery so she's still bad against like 75% of the cast. But Rest actually does something again and that's all that matters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whalestory posted:

You'd be surprised how few people actually think that in this thread yet it keeps getting brought up for some reason

I'm pretty sure nobody actually thinks that.

Sakurai owns (except for those times when he's trippin'), Smash owns, Kid Icarus: Uprising owns, play all the Sakurai games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zore posted:

I don't like the Pokemon trainer being split into three different characters (a problem I also have with 4WiiU and 3DS). The changes to the Ice Climbers make them feel really weird, and I dislike that they can't freeze people any more. Ike is a lot less powerful and doesn't feel anywhere near as satisfying as his Brawl version where I had a lot of fun playing as him. Also they changed a bunch of his poo poo to mirror Roy... and then put Roy back in the game. I don't know why there's this obsession with making characters more alike when they weren't in the base game. Clones suck.

I will admit that I do like the changes it makes to Pikachu and Ivysaur though.

Ike is actually a lot stronger and plays nothing like Ike though? And the Pokemon actually are worth playing now and don't suck.

Chaltab posted:

I agree that they shouldn't have neutralized every stage, I mean even in the competitive scene there's not many stages that get picked. A lot of the stages that changed and poo poo were dulled down and they don't even get picked anyway so that is kinda dumb.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's certainly very impressive and laudable, but when it goes hand in hand with "gently caress everyone who did all the stuff that came before," it looks lovely. Fortunately I don't think the actual Project M developers have been anything but respectful of the Smash Bros team.

Yes, they've been nothing but respectful, even imposing rules on themselves such as not backporting things from Smahs 4. I don't know why Lessail needs to keep posting like everyone involved with PM hates regular Smash and wants to kill Sakurai. In fact, I see more regular Smash people sperging out about Project M, then I do Project M people demanding Sakurai's resignation and the cancelling of Smash 4. It's like if you ever mention you think Project M is really cool there's a sudden need to poo poo all over the place about how it's not a REAL Smash game and they're just a bunch of disrespectful hackers, or do whatever Lessail keeps doing.

Really the only thing I have a problem with in Project M is the stages, and I forget about it because I have the Classic Stage Expansion mod installed and have replaced most of them, or returned stages and updated the new ones (Brawl Green Hill Zone, Project M Green Hill is now Scrap Brain Zone).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ike rules because you can now dash across half the stage with his side b, jump cancel out of it and whack someone with the sword for the best of kills.

What they did to Ike was nothing but a fantastic improvement, to me. Ike was glacial in Brawl.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

While I'm not going to argue that they haven't been respectful or anything, 100% of the reason they aren't allowing the Smash 4 backports is that Nintendo would no longer be able to stay willfully blind of the project and would 100% shut it down.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I miss the Other M derails because at least they always had a "drat Samus used to be really cool" undertone to them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ometeotl posted:

While I'm not going to argue that they haven't been respectful or anything, 100% of the reason they aren't allowing the Smash 4 backports is that Nintendo would no longer be able to stay willfully blind of the project and would 100% shut it down.

Why is that?

Filthy Haiku posted:

I miss the Other M derails because at least they always had a "drat Samus used to be really cool" undertone to them.

Well she was dammit.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

DrPaper posted:

Yes, they've been nothing but respectful, even imposing rules on themselves such as not backporting things from Smahs 4. I don't know why Lessail needs to keep posting like everyone involved with PM hates regular Smash and wants to kill Sakurai. In fact, I see more regular Smash people sperging out about Project M, then I do Project M people demanding Sakurai's resignation and the cancelling of Smash 4. It's like if you ever mention you think Project M is really cool there's a sudden need to poo poo all over the place about how it's not a REAL Smash game and they're just a bunch of disrespectful hackers, or do whatever Lessail keeps doing.

Really the only thing I have a problem with in Project M is the stages, and I forget about it because I have the Classic Stage Expansion mod installed and have replaced most of them, or returned stages and updated the new ones (Brawl Green Hill Zone, Project M Green Hill is now Scrap Brain Zone).

I think you missed when people got to play the Smash 4 Demo and completely poo poo on it or the time after the invitational when "Nintendo knows about Project: M" meant Nintendo was going to kill it

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If Nintendo even acknowledges Project M exists, they have to either shut it down or risk starting a precedent of allowing people to mod their games.

This has come up like every time this threads hits the "NINTENDO GONNA SHUT IT DOWN" phase of the weekly Project M chat.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Except there are Smash 4 back ports on BrawlVault and nothings been shut down. There is no 100%, they're choosing to not do it, as they said because they don't want to risk it.

Lessail posted:

I think you missed when people got to play the Smash 4 Demo and completely poo poo on it or the time after the invitational when "Nintendo knows about Project: M" meant Nintendo was going to kill it

Yeah, I'm sure Peachyhime represents the entirety of the Project M community. You don't have to like Project M, but you don't need to be so obnoxious every time it's brought up because you don't.

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 8, 2014

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I like project m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011