Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I usually list out every single part and buy them on rmeuropean or azautohaus. I'm not sure the kita are any cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Finally got the left side RTAB out:

And the new one in:

Along with some friends to keep it company:

Now that I wasted the whole three day weekend getting just one side done, it means I get to spend next weekend doing the right one! :suicide:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Wow that's a lot of time. I can do both in about three hours. What method are you using? Drill + hacksaw?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It took me ~4 hours to do my first one, but now I've got it down to about the same time as revmoo.

The best method imo is to get a hole saw as long as the rtab is thick and a large enough OD to fit over the core. Take the new rtab to a hardware store and look around until you find a hole saw bit that works. Worth the cost to have the most annoying part done in seconds

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

revmoo posted:

Wow that's a lot of time. I can do both in about three hours. What method are you using? Drill + hacksaw?

Yeah, drill + hacksaw. Took longer than it should have because I ended up having a bunch of other stuff to do over the weekend, so I only spent a couple hours Saturday and a couple hours Sunday. A large chunk of the time Sunday was spent having issues with the 10mm threaded rod + nuts I was using in conjunction with a bearing press/cup to press the new one in (rod broke once, then one of the nuts stripped and had to be cut off to get the assembly off once the bushing was pressed in.

Also spent quite a while drilling the holes in the toe adjustment bracket for the cap screws that fix the new bushing limiters in place, then deburring the holes, then wire-wheeling the toe bracket because there was a little bit of surface rust in the crevices and around the bottom, then repainting the whole thing to protect it from re-rusting (the painting alone took several hours as I had to wait for paint to dry after each coat of primer/topcoat). So a bunch of other little stuff, but at least now I won't have to deal with it again for a long, long time.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I use the Harbor Freight 4x4 Balljoint set to press in RTABs and it's pretty finicky but if you get everything lined up it only takes a second to do the pressing.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I used the HF 'front wheel bearing adapter' set because I'd been assured by multiple sources that it worked perfectly on RTABs. Only to get ready to go and realize that the threaded rod/bolt in the kit is around twice the diameter of the hole in the center of the bushing, so I had to improvise with some threaded rod I had laying around. :argh:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'm looking at a 1999 740iL with 210,000 miles, offered at $4000.

The description notes that the following work has been done:

quote:

Newly rebuilt engine, new top end gaskets, new timing chain and guides, new water pump, new thermostat, new oil pan gasket, etc. Brand new tires~less than 100 miles! All new front and rear suspension components, new rear window motor and assemblies.

My questions are firstly, maintenance related. What kinds of issues can I expect going forward? What can I expect as a yearly bill for maintenance?

My second set of questions are more practical, for those who have experience with this type of vehicle. What is the true MPG? I've noticed that it's estimated on getting 20 hwy and low teens on streets. But personal owners on message boards claim they get over 20 in general. What costs have you found that are unexpected in keeping it in its best shape? I mean, does this vehicle need premium gasoline, special tires, etc.

Thanks!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Stumpus posted:

My second set of questions are more practical, for those who have experience with this type of vehicle. What is the true MPG? I've noticed that it's estimated on getting 20 hwy and low teens on streets. But personal owners on message boards claim they get over 20 in general. What costs have you found that are unexpected in keeping it in its best shape? I mean, does this vehicle need premium gasoline, special tires, etc.
If you're worrying about MPGs hooooooo-boy are you looking at the wrong vehicle.

You could get hilariously lucky and not have that car be a maintenance nightmare and then maybe the MPGs would matter but most likely you'll be paying so much to maintain and fix it that the bit of extra gas isn't going to mean much.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Kenshin posted:

If you're worrying about MPGs hooooooo-boy are you looking at the wrong vehicle.

Yeah the fact that he's asking about premium fuel and tires indicates this is the wrong car for him.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stumpus posted:

My questions are firstly, maintenance related. What kinds of issues can I expect going forward? What can I expect as a yearly bill for maintenance?

Thanks!

'Newly rebuilt' can mean a lot of things - try to find out exactly what was replaced.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Basically there is a very good reason that 90s 740iL BMWs are so cheap.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Stumpus posted:

Thanks!

Be aware that to maintain that car, expect to pay as low as their asking price yearly up to 4-5 times that depending on what breaks.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I wouldn't get to worked up over the engine/transmission/running gear, as it's shared with the E39 and the basic design is the same for years. The V8 (M62) is a good power plant with its set of faults (all of which are well documented), the ZF5HP24 is ok if it's been looked after, and, well if you can blow the diff out with the stock V8 that's impressive.

It's all the other poo poo that goes wrong. So if you can live with the massaging seats not working, the nav system freaking out, the and other gee wiz poo poo breaking... Then go for it.

Oh I forgot to mention... the gee wiz poo poo is tied in with... everything. I think the ECU is fairly stand alone-ish.... but I need to look at a diagram before I make that my last word.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh I forgot to mention... the gee wiz poo poo is tied in with... everything. I think the ECU is fairly stand alone-ish.... but I need to look at a diagram before I make that my last word.

I really don't care about navigational equipment, as my phone does most of that for me. The only things I really care about are being able to have my AC and Heater during the appropriate times of the year, having my radio work, being able to roll down my windows, and being able to unlock and lock my car without using a key.

So please let me know what you mean when you say everything is affected.

Also, how comfortable is a ride in a car like this?

Kenshin posted:

You could get hilariously lucky and not have that car be a maintenance nightmare and then maybe the MPGs would matter but most likely you'll be paying so much to maintain and fix it that the bit of extra gas isn't going to mean much.

Awesome input, thanks!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kenshin posted:

I get 20mpg in the city out of my 99 540i while driving like a dick, the 740 should be able to do the same. Cruising on the highway it'll do 30mpg all day. It really is an impressive drivetrain.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Stumpus posted:

I really don't care about navigational equipment, as my phone does most of that for me. The only things I really care about are being able to have my AC and Heater during the appropriate times of the year, having my radio work, being able to roll down my windows, and being able to unlock and lock my car without using a key.

So please let me know what you mean when you say everything is affected.

Also, how comfortable is a ride in a car like this?

I mean all the poo poo you just mentioned that you want to work, won't work when you want it to.

They are insanely comfortable, and an extremely competent large sedan in the twisty roads. It's not an autocross machine, but it will out handle pretty much every car in its class.

If your looking for a large sedan look for a 5 series. They are light years ahead in terms of reliability, and hold their value better. Unless you can turn wrenches and know how to properly diagnose electrical issues, don't bother with a 7 series.

I should mention that to diagnose electrical problems is understanding a wiring schematic, and apply some logic as to what's causing the issue like bad grounds or wiring shorting out.

Edit: if it's a second car then do it beater 7 = best 7

I drove both my 540i and 550i pretty hard, and was never below 23 mpgs in mixed driving either car.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 7, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

I get 20mpg in the city out of my 99 540i while driving like a dick, the 740 should be able to do the same. Cruising on the highway it'll do 30mpg all day. It really is an impressive drivetrain.

My point wasn't that the MPG the car can achieve is bad--it's that it is very, very much the wrong question to be asking about a 740iL.

BrokenKnucklez has all the good details, but like he said, the 740iL is not a good idea to buy as either an only car or a car that you want to be reliable. Not so different from a used S-class in that regard.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

New tires are also a nice selling feature but could be a tell of hidden problems like crap alignment resulting in catastrophic tire wear and/or shot suspension components. At least have it thrown on a rack to make sure the frame/suspension are straight if you're not doing a thorough PPI (which for that cost I wouldn't blame you not peeing away a couple hundred bucks)

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Thanks for the details everyone.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I looked at E38s for a short while myself and realized that the cars had enough go wrong with them at the end of their lifecycle that you would end up with a Ship of Theseus paradox by the time you were looking at it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't try and drive it very often either.

My buddy's dad is trying to sell his and he wants something ridiculous like 8k for it. I got excited until I found out the price and told him thanks but no thanks.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
I'm having my car shipped cross country by National Auto Shipping. It's an e46 m3 convertible. Any tips or tricks I can or should do before hand to ensure a safe delivery (as much as I can)?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

voltron posted:

I'm having my car shipped cross country by National Auto Shipping. It's an e46 m3 convertible. Any tips or tricks I can or should do before hand to ensure a safe delivery (as much as I can)?

Double check the insurance and don't leave any change and such around. If there is a valet key for the car that doesn't open the trunk and stuff I'd use it.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

voltron posted:

I don't know about that company particularly, but I had a not-great experience with whoever it was that my company used to move my e36 (name eludes me). They partially ripped off the front bumper, damaged the lower lip, and broke the parking brake, then tried to say it was always that way.

So. Document everything about the condition of your car. Everything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't listen to whatever mileage people claim to get. People will reset their mileage, roll down a hill and then post a picture on reddit claiming they get 50mpg.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
BMW 7 series: if you have to ask about the operating costs, you can't afford one.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Das Volk posted:

I looked at E38s for a short while myself and realized that the cars had enough go wrong with them at the end of their lifecycle that you would end up with a Ship of Theseus paradox by the time you were looking at it.

Maybe the diff, engine and.... sheet metal if it wasn't wrecked were the only things that would be left. I know there was a year that even the HID lights were notorious for making GBS threads themselves if air hit them incorrectly.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

voltron posted:

Document things obsessively. Take clear pictures of every panel when the car is on the trailer so they can't say it was an old photo.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that a 7-series is not the best pre-owned car ever because they are wrong and probably posting on recess from jelly school

but don't get a 740iL, if you are getting an E38 then get a 750iL and if you are getting an E65 then get a 760Li.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Nait Sirhc posted:

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that a 7-series is not the best pre-owned car ever because they are wrong and probably posting on recess from jelly school

but don't get a 740iL, if you are getting an E38 then get a 750iL and if you are getting an E65 then get a 760Li.

This is true, but I think the E65 has a few too many cylinders (if indeed it is the v12). I think those don't need just full synthetic at every service, but triple refined unicorn blood.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It has to be filtered through a mermaid's hair.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
When the maintenance indicator comes on BMW agents carjack you at a stoplight and airlift it to Germany for service.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
Get a 02-03 745 with high mileage and tell me how that goes

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If I was a man with more space there's nothing more I would love to do is buying a e38 with a bad motor and swapping something stupid in it. Like a 6.5 GM diesel or a Ford 460 in it.

Actually... There's one for sale near me with a bad motor.... :getin:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Going to crack open my beater e39 540i this weekend. Putting together a parts order, here's what I am ordering this week:

GDCS overhaul kit
Belts
Timing chain tensioner
Oil/ filter (crush washer?)
Spark plugs

Anything else I should throw money at while I have the front bumper/rad off? Front seal?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
maybe chain guides?

e: man, nevermind. Didn't realize the tensioner was outside of the cover. I'm batting 1000 in this thread lately :p

new pulleys and tensioners for the belts wouldn't be a bad idea.

televiper fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 8, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Going to crack open my beater e39 540i this weekend. Putting together a parts order, here's what I am ordering this week:

GDCS overhaul kit
Belts
Timing chain tensioner
Oil/ filter (crush washer?)
Spark plugs

Anything else I should throw money at while I have the front bumper/rad off? Front seal?

Valve cover gaskets, and valley pan gasket.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I think my chain guides are OK. Not getting any chain slap noises...yet. Like know replacing the tensioner can prevent the guides from getting chewed up.

Good idea on the valve cover/etc gaskets. Doesn't look too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm back, and now I get to make sure I'm not missing out on any promises! Huzzah for setting myself up for annoying strangers in faraway places!

Timmy Cruise posted:

Can I get your shift knob?
Sure thing. It's peeling, though.

Saxon posted:

Hmm, well if you think they aren't worth saving then I won't make you go through the trouble...It's really great that you're doing this, thanks again!
I'll have another look. I've got multiple sets of the little rectangular plastic piece that surrounds the door handle, you want those? Shipping would be next to free because they'd fit in a normal envelope.

ColdPie posted:

Someone a while back did the math to show that AAA service is actually pretty drat cheap. My insurance provides free towing, though admittedly I've never had to use it so I don't know the service quality.
I'm either CAA-Saskatchewan's favourite or least-favourite customer. I've been averaging 2 tows a year for the past 5 years, through an even mix of mechanical failures (blown clutch, broken ball joint, GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM, etc.) and driver stupidity. Also about an even mix between the truck showing up to help me out then I drive myself home, and having the truck drop my car at my mechanic's.

It's certainly been very worth it for me. Something like $120/year and I have a phone number in my pocket that gets me the closest towtruck from any company and a couple of free up-to-200-miles tows a year, plus lots of other free and discounted stuff (maps, cheaper renter's and travel insurance, 10% off some hotels, etc.).

Of course, this is all based on my driving "style", which is less "style" and more "hahahahaha wheeeeeeee! car go now!"