Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Zonekeeper posted:

The issue is that the "free" N64 game in question requires 1: A peripheral that is not included with the system (not everybody owned a wii prior to picking up a Wii U) and 2: A second peripheral that hooks up to the first, which has been discontinued and is getting difficult to find at a reasonable price.

Even if you find a classic controller at its old MSRP (good luck), you're shelling out $60 ($40 for the wii remote and $20 for the classic controller) to play that "free" game.

Then choose something different or wait a month if you don't already have what you need :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

jivjov posted:

So choose one of the other reward games or hold your coins for the next batch.

I'd agree if Paper Mario wasn't the best reward available by far. I happen to own everything necessary to play it, but I can definitely see why people are pissed off because it's a stupid reason to skip a great game.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Dramicus posted:

I'm speaking for myself here, but there are plenty who skipped the Wii and only recently picked up a Wii U.

I sold all my Wii stuff a couple of years ago and had to buy new controllers when I picked up the Wii U. I bought the Wii-motes so I could play NSMBU and Mario Kart with my wife and son. Did you just say gently caress the Wii-mote thing and buy the pro controllers or whatever it's called?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Hekk posted:

Did you just say gently caress the Wii-mote thing and buy the pro controllers or whatever it's called?

This is exactly what I did.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Dramicus posted:

This is exactly what I did.

You're a big dummy. You're going to need a Wii remote eventually (especially if Aonuma holds to what he said about every 3D Zelda having 1:1 motion controls from now on), and Wiimotes can be found for cheaper than a pro controller.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There is an approximately 0.0% chance that the next Zelda requires a Wiimote instead of the Gamepad

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

At most it might be a Pikmin 3 situation, where Wiimote/Nunchuk is an option with distinct functionality. But I think it's certain to be compatible with the Gamepad and Pro Controller as well.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zonekeeper posted:

I'd agree if Paper Mario wasn't the best reward available by far. I happen to own everything necessary to play it, but I can definitely see why people are pissed off because it's a stupid reason to skip a great game.

It's a great reward for sure. Frustrated I can't play an awesome game. Can you use the Wii-u controller that isn't the gamepad? The one that looks like a 360 controller?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Skip My Posts posted:

It's a great reward for sure. Frustrated I can't play an awesome game. Can you use the Wii-u controller that isn't the gamepad? The one that looks like a 360 controller?

Big fat nope stamp on this one. You can only use Wii controllers in the vWii. Makes me a little sad that I can't use my Gamepad to play games that support the classic controller, honestly.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

At most it might be a Pikmin 3 situation, where Wiimote/Nunchuk is an option with distinct functionality. But I think it's certain to be compatible with the Gamepad and Pro Controller as well.
A Link Between Worlds already pretty much demonstrated how Oblinkion/Zelder Scrolls will work on the Gamepad. Now if they were to put the co-op mode from Nintendoland into the game or something, maybe then the Wiimote would default to Link the way it does in that minigame.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Quest For Glory II posted:

There is an approximately 0.0% chance that the next Zelda requires a Wiimote instead of the Gamepad

Even if it's two-and-a-half years old at this point, I'd sooner trust Aonuma's last statement on the matter than your word.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's great. It'll use the Gamepad. It won't require the Wiimote.

e: Nintendo is insisting that their Gamepad is the vital component of their system so they are not going to release one of the biggest games they have left and then say "oh you can't use that"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 8, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Swing a sword with the Wiimote in one hand, block attacks by holding the gamepad in the other hand like a shield, move with the balance board, whistle into the Famicom controller mic to summon Epona, open chests with R.O.B.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I figured I need to put the Mario code into the Wii menu, except I can't find a redeem code option, just add Wii points.

Why is this so loving stupid and obtuse. :cripes:

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Alteisen posted:

So I figured I need to put the Mario code into the Wii menu, except I can't find a redeem code option, just add Wii points.

Why is this so loving stupid and obtuse. :cripes:

According to this video on YouTube, you go to "Settings and Features" on one of the first pages, then hit "Wii Download Ticket". Granted I've never done this before but that definitely would have been one of the last places I'd have looked.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Ultigonio posted:

Even if it's two-and-a-half years old at this point, I'd sooner trust Aonuma's last statement on the matter than your word.

I believe that people are misconstruing how much motion controls are going to be used for the franchise, and interpreting Aonuma's statement as "we're going to make motion controls the sole focus of every Zelda game forthcoming". Rather, the motion controls seem to be additions to the already-existing control schematics, and may be either used minimally, or fully towards a gameplay feature. For example, in Wind Waker HD, the motion controls on the gamepad were used for simple aiming purposes, like with the grappling hook or bow and arrow. And both were optional.

I feel as if there's no real need to panic here. Then again, for the cynics out there? Wind Waker HD was a remake of a game released 11 years prior, with no precedent for motion controls, so take of that what you will.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That statement was given during the honeymoon/promotional period for Skyward Sword, some of whose elements (segmented overworld, extreme handholding) Aonuma has since acknowledged a need to move away from. If Aonuma heard those complaints, you can bet he heard people's reactions to the iffy motion controls too.

2011: Nintendo wants to talk up SS and present the motion controls as the next big thing
2014: Nintendo wants to talk up the Gamepad and reassure players who were disappointed with SS

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
For the record, the gyro aiming with the gamepad was absolutely amazing in WWHD and one of the best features/improvements it had over the GC version, even moreso than the swift sail, imho :colbert:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Shelf Adventure posted:

Then choose something different or wait a month if you don't already have what you need :shrug:

I just wish I remembered I needed a classic controller before I spent coins on the silly thing. It tells you it's a Wii shop game right before you purchase it but I guess they figured the classic controller requirement is implied in that already. :(

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Nintendo really doesn't make intuitive decisions regarding controller requirements. (Everyone who stared dumbfounded and remoteless at the Wii menu, Melee in the disc drive and four GameCube controllers plugged in, raise your hand.)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Does this mean they're gonna make another good Paper Mario?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I want a Paper Mario like Scribblenauts but I draw things

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Austrian mook posted:

Does this mean they're gonna make another good Paper Mario?

They never stopped :colbert:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Pomp posted:

They never stopped :colbert:

That really depends on your opinion of Sticker Star and maybe even Super Paper Mario.

Sticker Star just sort of fell flat but I liked all the other three games, I just want a new one in the same vein as TTYD.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Nintendo really doesn't make intuitive decisions regarding controller requirements. (Everyone who stared dumbfounded and remoteless at the Wii menu, Melee in the disc drive and four GameCube controllers plugged in, raise your hand.)

How did you end up with a Wii but no Wiimote?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That really depends on your opinion of Sticker Star and maybe even Super Paper Mario.

Sticker Star just sort of fell flat but I liked all the other three games, I just want a new one in the same vein as TTYD.

Super Paper Mario was fun digression, but I hope it remains that way. Sticker Star is awful. TTYD is probably my favorite RPG of all time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Anyone who enjoys Sticker Star should literally be killed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Davinci posted:

How did you end up with a Wii but no Wiimote?

Bring it to a friend's place. Or lend out your last Wiimote because "we're not gonna play any Wii games anytime soon, just Smash Bros.".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Famitsu has confirmed Fi as a playable character in Hyrule Warriors, as well as Skyward Sword costumes for Link/Zelda: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/08056716.html

These are all the playable characters announced so far, right?
Link
Zelda
Impa
Midna
Twilight Princess bug girl
Not-Naryu

I guess the enemy/boss characters they've announced have a good chance of being playable, too, and you'd imagine Tingle is gonna show up somewhere, not to mention Ganondorf, Ghirahim, Zant, etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

noirstronaut posted:

Anyone who enjoys Sticker Star should literally be killed.

I've buried the last three that tried, who wants to be the fourth? :toughguy:.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If the villains end up playable, this thing should have a nice roster.

Zant from Twilight Princess is a confirmed villain, and some dude from NeoGAF seems to think that Ghirahim and "the one who's sealed" or something are confirmed villains in this latest famitsu reveal leak thing.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Afro posted:

I'm in the same boat. I have a Wiimote but no Classic controller. I can't seem to find a decent deal on a Classic Pro either, and there are many articles saying Nintendo discontinued them along with the original. How they expected to keep supporting the Wii Shop channel and not make more controllers is kind of baffling though.

I don't know if it is the same for you guys in America, but in the UK you can pick up this bundle with a gold classic controller pro for around £10 on ebay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Famitsu has confirmed Fi as a playable character in Hyrule Warriors, as well as Skyward Sword costumes for Link/Zelda: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/08056716.html

These are all the playable characters announced so far, right?
Link
Zelda
Impa
Midna
Twilight Princess bug girl
Not-Naryu

I guess the enemy/boss characters they've announced have a good chance of being playable, too, and you'd imagine Tingle is gonna show up somewhere, not to mention Ganondorf, Ghirahim, Zant, etc.

Each cast member also will have at least two weapons which significantly changes their play style. We know Link has sword, Fire Rod or giant-rear end ball and chain and Zelda has rapier or Wand. No idea about the rest.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Dramicus posted:

I'm speaking for myself here, but there are plenty who skipped the Wii and only recently picked up a Wii U.

Then you should buy those peripherals so you can play the amazing games you missed on the Wii.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Long John Power posted:

I don't know if it is the same for you guys in America, but in the UK you can pick up this bundle with a gold classic controller pro for around £10 on ebay.

There's also this thing which works by itself, no Wii Remote needed if you're just that desperate to not buy a Wii Remote.

There's also this (probably knock-off but it's a good looking knock-off) Classic Controller Pro for under 10 bucks.

Ya'll should stop bitching and do some digging. Just saying.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Long John Power posted:

$50 seems to be the going rate in the US.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've buried the last three that tried, who wants to be the fourth? :toughguy:.

I can't help it the music's too good for me not to like it at least somewhat

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Crawfish posted:

If the villains end up playable, this thing should have a nice roster.

Zant from Twilight Princess is a confirmed villain, and some dude from NeoGAF seems to think that Ghirahim and "the one who's sealed" or something are confirmed villains in this latest famitsu reveal leak thing.

Yes, the online article states that Ghirahim and the Imprisoned show up as enemies.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Doc V posted:

the Imprisoned

Hey remember that lovely unfun boss you had to fight too many times in Skyward Sword? Now you can fight it again! :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The fight probably won't be the same, and it looked pretty cool.

• Locked thread