Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I hope you already had an heir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I thought I'd give something other than the British Isles a try.

He lasted eight months before dying without an heir, having accomplished, well, diddly.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I'm fairly sure there is an event that removes The Maids celibacy if she gets married. But she can no longer lead armies or be marshal.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Not exactly what you're asking since his family didn't last very long but someone just mentioned recently Alfred the Great is hanging around the 867 start as the Earl of Dorset. The House of Wessex isn't exactly a "great future dynasty" since it's important in 867 and stays important for a while - but I kinda wanna pull of an Alfred the Great historical reenactment now.

Oh, and this: Interesting characters guide.

I've actually already played a game as Alfred the Great! It was awesome, too, and would highly recommend it to anybody else looking for a good Old Gods start.

It helped that my brother died like immediately and I became king of Wessex right out the gate, though. :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Antinumeric posted:

I'm fairly sure there is an event that removes The Maids celibacy if she gets married. But she can no longer lead armies or be marshal.

She remains celibate even after marriage but yes she loses the ability to lead armies/be a marshal. So don't do it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone care to give tips to a novice on 'Feudal Marriage 101'. Marrying off all these subjects is a bit tedious and I was wondering what I should be focusing on when I do it.

Also, my latest "learning event" was having my grandson get pissed at me for not giving him any lands and him coming back a couple years later and kicking my rear end with some doomstack he got somewhere. Dude, I only had 3 counties! :smith:

Anyone?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Rincewind posted:

I've actually already played a game as Alfred the Great! It was awesome, too, and would highly recommend it to anybody else looking for a good Old Gods start.

It helped that my brother died like immediately and I became king of Wessex right out the gate, though. :v:

I've found that Alfred's brother tends to die not long after the Old Gods start and Alfred takes over, making Wessex the only Saxon-held land as Jylland tends to go after Mercia if the Great Heathen Army is remotely successful (which they always are).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Don't bother marrying off people not related to you. Game has an invisible check to make it so your fertility goes down as your court gets bigger, to keep your courts from slowing down the game. Marry off kids to get good alliances, good genes or to nab titles.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rincewind posted:

You know how the 1066 start has That One Habsburg you can try to take from count to, well, Habsburg? Are there any characters like that in 867-- members of future great dynasties lurking around as counts or dukes?

I think there's a Hohenzollern kicking around the HRE in a later bookmark, maybe a Romanov too.

Also, Piast in Greater Poland, but that's a massive pain in the rear end thanks to Slavic somehow sucking worse than Romuva.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Don't bother marrying off people not related to you. Game has an invisible check to make it so your fertility goes down as your court gets bigger, to keep your courts from slowing down the game. Marry off kids to get good alliances, good genes or to nab titles.

That didnt stop the Karlings from spewing out about 400 members in my game, or my own dynasty sprawling out and crippling my game. :smith:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 8, 2014

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

You know how the 1066 start has That One Habsburg you can try to take from count to, well, Habsburg? Are there any characters like that in 867-- members of future great dynasties lurking around as counts or dukes?

Do the Welfs count? There is one as a duke in West Francia.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dr Snofeld posted:

He lasted eight months before dying without an heir, having accomplished, well, diddly.

Serves you right for starting with the wounded trait.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Alternatively, for small starts and early in the game when there aren't that many characters and you don't have a lot of power it can be handy to marry your counselors to women with 4-star education traits and high stats to breed the next generation of counselors, since it can be hard to get good people to come to your court. It's also handy for the tutor-swapping trick when you educate your own kid to get him the best traits and then for the last month before his birthday have him be educated by the 4-star teacher of your choice.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

That didnt stop the Karlings from spewing out about 400 members in my game, or my own dynasty sprawling out and crippling my game. :smith:

That's because the Karlings love to grant landed titles to other Karlings, resulting in the court fertility limiter not being as much of an issue.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's the best retinue composition for Norse? For other cultures I just build cultural units only, but I feel like all Heavy Infantry is probably not ideal.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

What's the best retinue composition for Norse? For other cultures I just build cultural units only, but I feel like all Heavy Infantry is probably not ideal.

You could do worse than all-HI. Nothing beats them during the melee phase of combat, and melee is what makes up the majority of combat. They'll get picked away at during skirmish, but that only lasts for five days; and you won't be great at picking off fleeing enemies during the pursuit stage, but that's pretty small potatoes in the long run.

The only downside is that the Mongols will absolutely destroy an all-HI army, but if you're playing Norse that may never be an issue. My advice would be to sprinkle in some Skirmish or Shock; it's almost never worth it to take up valuable retinue space with cavalry.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

nutranurse posted:

I've found that Alfred's brother tends to die not long after the Old Gods start and Alfred takes over, making Wessex the only Saxon-held land as Jylland tends to go after Mercia if the Great Heathen Army is remotely successful (which they always are).

Why wait ? Take out a jewish loan and immediatly stab your brother. At the VERY FIRST DAY of the 867 start date he posseses every single county not owned by alfred - you're free to set up England "correctly" (capital in Middlesex) right off the bat. Not only that, it also cancels your participation in defending from the Norse invasion!

Everybody wins! (except Aethelred)

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 8, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DStecks posted:

The only downside is that the Mongols will absolutely destroy an all-HI army, but if you're playing Norse that may never be an issue.

In my Norse conquest games, where I used to build nothing but all-HI retinues, they did surprisingly well against the Mongols when deployed in stacks of 15K

These days, I build 1:1 Shock:Archer retinues, which seems to work well in a fight while still giving me large troop numbers and letting me assault at something more like 5:1 odds.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I actually got a stack of crown loyalists when my idiot brother declared a war for the throne. I have -never- had the large stacks event fire in my favor.

Anou
May 29, 2006
Hello there!

Antinumeric posted:

There's a generic event that can fire if you're married to someone with celibacy if you have lustful and 12 intrigue that gives you a chance to remove someone's celibacy.

I've finally managed to get Shaoshyant achievement with the Justanids, the Kurdish Zoroastrians in Gilan. This was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do in a Paradox game and was ridiculously RNG dependent. Why Paradox buffed the Saffarid event troops to absurd levels I don't understand but it makes this previously sorta doable start into a nightmare.

Anou fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 8, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think for the maid there is an event that can fire where you have a small chance to try and seduce her and remove celibacy, as well as making her your lover. Maybe not, I have only ever gotten it on Elder Kings games.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I did already have an heir though it was a risk because I only had the one. But my wife was being all kinds of trouble and I had enough problems without her family (a little known gang called the motherfucking Karlings) getting sore at me for her death, so I just divorced. I was hoping for the ending the maid's celibacy event (I've previously got it once as well) but no joy. On the other hand her absolutely insane martial saved the realm and my heir lived and inherited, so it was okay!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DStecks posted:

You could do worse than all-HI. Nothing beats them during the melee phase of combat, and melee is what makes up the majority of combat. They'll get picked away at during skirmish, but that only lasts for five days; and you won't be great at picking off fleeing enemies during the pursuit stage, but that's pretty small potatoes in the long run.

The only downside is that the Mongols will absolutely destroy an all-HI army, but if you're playing Norse that may never be an issue. My advice would be to sprinkle in some Skirmish or Shock; it's almost never worth it to take up valuable retinue space with cavalry.

Cavalry retinues being useful varies on what nation you're playing, actually. In the case of the Norse they get a bonus to heavy infantry attack so it's absolutely worth spamming nothing but shock revenues all day, every day. Iberian cultures, though, tend to get Cabellero training grounds which makes their light cavalry turn into hideous murder machines. Heavy cavalry and just inherently good but, like actual medieval armies, are basically useless if they have no support. It's also good to have some cavalry mixed in with your stuff no matter what you're doing to inflict a poo poo load of kills when pursuing.

That being said, yes, heavy infantry are the best troops in the game for exactly the reasons you said. They're pretty tough, their morale is generally pretty good, a lot of nations have bonuses to them, and they're equally good on offense and defense.

Granted that also can vary a bit depending on what nation you're playing. If you're Venice, for example, 50/50 mix of defense and shock retinues is disgustingly hard to break.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Actually, I hadn't thought to look at the unlanded courtiers section on that list before, and I found this:

quote:

Hrolfr de Normandie, courtier in Petty Kingdom of Holland, 867: A famous Viking warrior and the great-great-great-grandfather of William the Conqueror. Historically, he settled in Normandy and founded the dynasty that would one day take the throne of England. Start as Hrörekr of Holland, give Hrolfr some land, play on as him and see if you can re-create history!

That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, so if I have to be slightly gamey and land him manually, well, it'll be worth it.

EDIT: And the thread linked on that page lists a Capet count hanging around in 867, which also sounds promising.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 8, 2014

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Digital Osmosis posted:

Not exactly what you're asking since his family didn't last very long but someone just mentioned recently Alfred the Great is hanging around the 867 start as the Earl of Dorset. The House of Wessex isn't exactly a "great future dynasty" since it's important in 867 and stays important for a while - but I kinda wanna pull of an Alfred the Great historical reenactment now.

Oh, and this: Interesting characters guide.

This is amazing, thanks for this. Just played to 1350 starting with Kitbuqa Noyan, Nestorian Mongol high chief of Aleppo, and holy gently caress it is fun. Unlike playing as Socotra, you can actually do stuff reasonably early in the game, and unlike playing as Sartaq Khan, not everyone wants to kill you right off the bat. Plus at that point the Ilkhanate is completely unstoppable for as long as Hulegu is alive (in my game they ended up holding Greece and Constantinople until a Crusade booted them out after Hulegu's death), so you get to sit back and watch the Christian world go to hell around you while you quietly carve out your own Holy Land among his vassals.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
After expanding my Irish empire to the point where neither my CPU or any other independent realm couldn't keep up any more I wanted to go for a pagan for my second game and try to reform the pagan religion. I chose Ivar the boneless from the list of recommended rulers. Turns out he starts in Britannia as well. The amount of armies I can command and the easiness of declaring war as Norse pagan make it so that I am the Emperor of Britannia in no time (compared to my last game at least) even though I have constant revolutions and Christian revolts to deal with. Trying to reform, I easily take Sealand and a the part of the HRE that I need, take over Denmark, while all of Norway inadvertedly becomes mine through marriage. That makes 4 out of 5 sites under my control, moral authority at 45%. Unfortunately Sweden decides to go Christian, so I'll have to conquer them as well to raise the moral authority high enough.

Then it happens. The catholics get their poo poo together, all catholic holy orders are created on the same day, a few days later, crusade for England. On top of that, my amazing emperor just died and his son, while not bad, still has everyone a bit weary of him for being so new, so I can't get too many levies, and gavelkind kind of hosed up my personal levies as well. Do I have any options besides going catholic here?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kanonvandekempen posted:

Do I have any options besides going catholic here?

Let them take England then get angry about it. I'm not talking like "I'm writing a letter" angry I'm talking like "I'm a loving pissed of viking angry I hope you like your shores to be always on fire all the time because that's going to loving happen now" angry.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I never realized you can get badass enough in this game that you can just straight up ask people if they want to be your vassal and they say yes. :stare:

Also, Royal Council :v:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 8, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Dr Snofeld posted:

Stupid (duke of) Flanders.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

kanonvandekempen posted:

After expanding my Irish empire to the point where neither my CPU or any other independent realm couldn't keep up any more I wanted to go for a pagan for my second game and try to reform the pagan religion. I chose Ivar the boneless from the list of recommended rulers. Turns out he starts in Britannia as well. The amount of armies I can command and the easiness of declaring war as Norse pagan make it so that I am the Emperor of Britannia in no time (compared to my last game at least) even though I have constant revolutions and Christian revolts to deal with. Trying to reform, I easily take Sealand and a the part of the HRE that I need, take over Denmark, while all of Norway inadvertedly becomes mine through marriage. That makes 4 out of 5 sites under my control, moral authority at 45%. Unfortunately Sweden decides to go Christian, so I'll have to conquer them as well to raise the moral authority high enough.

Then it happens. The catholics get their poo poo together, all catholic holy orders are created on the same day, a few days later, crusade for England. On top of that, my amazing emperor just died and his son, while not bad, still has everyone a bit weary of him for being so new, so I can't get too many levies, and gavelkind kind of hosed up my personal levies as well. Do I have any options besides going catholic here?

Get all your boats, sail as many troops as possible to Italy and siege down rome. Instantly end the crusade for fun and profit.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DarkCrawler posted:

Also, Royal Council :v:

4/10 must try harder. Come on dude the pope is right there pull up an antipope and win a quick war.

You can pretty much diplo vassalize any small none king ruler two ranks below your top title if you border as long as you share the same culture and religion if they like you, or if you are there de-jure liege maybe not so small.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 8, 2014

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Question from a relative newbie at this game.

I'm dicking around the British Isles. Started as King of Northumbria, but pretty quickly got conquered and vassalized by rampaging Vikings. I've got a ruler that I quite like now (son of the dude who got conquered) and I'm slowly building my score, setting up heirs, and I've even become Chancellor for my liege. Plus I have a bad-rear end scar now.

But now I'd like to try to get my power back. I want to pick my time to go to war with my liege and depose him. Right now he's at war with a few other dudes, who keep sending hordes into my lands since I'm just a vassal. Would rebelling now be a good choice? My hope was that if my liege is involved in too many conflicts he won't be able to effectively fight me, and the other kings will stop attacking my lands since their beef is with my liege.

Will that work? Or will I be stuck fighting my liege's army AND the armies of a bunch of outsiders who don't care that I'm rebelling?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Cavalry retinues being useful varies on what nation you're playing, actually. In the case of the Norse they get a bonus to heavy infantry attack so it's absolutely worth spamming nothing but shock revenues all day, every day. Iberian cultures, though, tend to get Cabellero training grounds which makes their light cavalry turn into hideous murder machines. Heavy cavalry and just inherently good but, like actual medieval armies, are basically useless if they have no support. It's also good to have some cavalry mixed in with your stuff no matter what you're doing to inflict a poo poo load of kills when pursuing.

That being said, yes, heavy infantry are the best troops in the game for exactly the reasons you said. They're pretty tough, their morale is generally pretty good, a lot of nations have bonuses to them, and they're equally good on offense and defense.

Granted that also can vary a bit depending on what nation you're playing. If you're Venice, for example, 50/50 mix of defense and shock retinues is disgustingly hard to break.

How good are the Iberian special light cavalry? I had read that, generally, light cavalry was pretty useless and have been neglecting upgrading the caballero buildings in my holdings. My retinues are exclusively heavy infantry and generic cavalry regiments by about 3:1. Should I switch to caballero? Are the light cavalry in the caballero different from the light cavalry in the cavalry regiment? Or does the unique unit totally replace the general one?

cavalry cavalry cavalry

Also I'm about 80 years away from my first Mongol invasion. I've got land all the way to Jerusalem, so I'll probably need to deal with them. What units work well against them?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Speaking of retinues, I finally tried all Longbow retinues. I feel like once you get big enough to get the trick going, it almost doesn't matter what you're building. Having said that, holy hell is it funny when the battle is over and you've lost twelve men to their seven thousand.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Clanpot Shake posted:

How good are the Iberian special light cavalry? I had read that, generally, light cavalry was pretty useless and have been neglecting upgrading the caballero buildings in my holdings. My retinues are exclusively heavy infantry and generic cavalry regiments by about 3:1. Should I switch to caballero? Are the light cavalry in the caballero different from the light cavalry in the cavalry regiment? Or does the unique unit totally replace the general one?

cavalry cavalry cavalry

Also I'm about 80 years away from my first Mongol invasion. I've got land all the way to Jerusalem, so I'll probably need to deal with them. What units work well against them?

I'm interested in this as well. The argument i heard was that light cavalry is only really relevant in the pursuit phase, and the pursuit phase isn't really relevant for the battle just for cutting down on followup slaughter.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Defensive Light Cav are pretty much garbage, offensive LC is all right.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

TotalHell posted:

I'm dicking around the British Isles. Started as King of Northumbria, but pretty quickly got conquered and vassalized by rampaging Vikings. I've got a ruler that I quite like now (son of the dude who got conquered) and I'm slowly building my score, setting up heirs, and I've even become Chancellor for my liege. Plus I have a bad-rear end scar now.

But now I'd like to try to get my power back. I want to pick my time to go to war with my liege and depose him. Right now he's at war with a few other dudes, who keep sending hordes into my lands since I'm just a vassal. Would rebelling now be a good choice? My hope was that if my liege is involved in too many conflicts he won't be able to effectively fight me, and the other kings will stop attacking my lands since their beef is with my liege.

Will that work? Or will I be stuck fighting my liege's army AND the armies of a bunch of outsiders who don't care that I'm rebelling?

Interested in the answer to this as well. In the generic sense working your way up from a pretty weak vassal would be interesting to read about.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TotalHell posted:

Would rebelling now be a good choice? My hope was that if my liege is involved in too many conflicts he won't be able to effectively fight me, and the other kings will stop attacking my lands since their beef is with my liege.

Tactically it's usually one of the best times to rebel (because your liege is busy with your opportunistic neigbours, and your opportunistic neighbours are busy with your former liege), followed very closely by "rebelling immediately after your liege loses the war, when he has no armies to oppose you".

Mecahnics-wise, my understanding (at work so can't test) is that a) you'd still be "hostile" to the foreign invaders so if your armies run into each other they'll fight, but b) the AI will stop actually targetting you and hit stuff that's actually loyal (or their specific war target province - if you own that then it might just invalidate the foreign war when you rebel), so it'll be easier to avoid their armies than it previously was.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

TotalHell posted:

1. You can check your relative troop numbers, compared to your liege, by clicking "Realm Tree" from you character page. Of course that won't tell you how occupied his troops are, but it could give you an idea of how much of an uphill battle you have, how much distraction you'll need to succeed etc.

2. If you rebel, the foreign invaders will be hostile to you, so that can be tough if there are large foreign armies around. They might still attack your lands. I'm playing with HIP/VIET so I'm not sure if this is true in vanilla, but the liege's war wouldn't be able to end as long as you controlled any of your liege's provinces, so the winning side would have an incentive to reverse your seiges as well if this is the case.

But, in the end, this is probably more likely to succeed than rebelling during a time of peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well yeah, an all-HI retinue isn't ideal, but I wasn't saying that it was; I was just saying that you could do a lot worse. "Spam heavy infantry" is probably the best newbie advice for people who haven't fully learned the combat system, since it's really hard to go wrong with that. There are situations where other choices are better, a lot better, but I can't think of any situations (again, other than facing the Mongols) where all-HI is a bad choice.

And consider that, in the early game, retinues are effectively just a bonus levy, so you can afford to have them be all of one type; your actual levies will fill out the other soldier types. That's why I advised against cavalry in retinues unless you get a cultural bonus, because your levies will have cavalry anyway, and you just need a few to help you clean up in the pursuit stage.

• Locked thread