Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Gonna go test drive a used 2008 ms3 tomorrow. Drove my brothers regular 3 around last week to remind myself how to drive stick, I'm pretty rusty, especially down shifts.. I've read the clutch is tricky, any tips?

Also I'm going to be taking it to a mechanic for an inspection following the test drive. Is there anything I should look out for during my own inspection specific to the ms3?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Not MS3 specific, but might help: get the car on flat ground. Try to take off from a stand still using only the clutch and no gas so you can learn where the engagement point is and how long the friction zone is. Apply gas pedal for faster take offs.

Downshifting takes time. Don't be afraid to blip high; its easier on your tranny and way smoother if the RPMs are too high and have to be brought down by the tranny rather than up.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Gonna go test drive a used 2008 ms3 tomorrow. Drove my brothers regular 3 around last week to remind myself how to drive stick, I'm pretty rusty, especially down shifts.. I've read the clutch is tricky, any tips?

Also I'm going to be taking it to a mechanic for an inspection following the test drive. Is there anything I should look out for during my own inspection specific to the ms3?

The clutch engages really low, but more importantly there isn't much 'travel' to the clutch being partially and fully applied. The clutch is fully applied like halfway upwards the full travel of the pedal.

Basically, you just have to be really slow and easy with your clutch foot. It's pretty grabby and sudden otherwise. Once you get used to it, it's just fine.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I done did it.

Dude I bought it from had a beautiful cayman s and perfect NSX in his garage.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nice! The seats are awesome if it's a GT.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

Nice! The seats are awesome if it's a GT.

The seats are ridiculous, I had no idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys can't tease us non-MS3 plebs like that. Show us the seats :|

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Martytoof posted:

You guys can't tease us non-MS3 plebs like that. Show us the seats :|

08.5/09 GT is by far the best MS3.

opengl fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 5, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So the next MX-5 is apparently a new turbocharged design. Wonder if the new Speed3 might be around the bend with the same basic engine? I doubt we will see anything before MY16 though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cygni posted:

So the next MX-5 is apparently a new turbocharged design. Wonder if the new Speed3 might be around the bend with the same basic engine? I doubt we will see anything before MY16 though.

People keep saying this, can you post a source where Mazda confirms it?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is there a decent guide to changing transmission fluid in a 2008 floating around?

Edit: Anyone tried that Ford Motorcraft xt-m5-qs transmission fluid the mazda forums guys are head over heels for?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 5, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rhyno posted:

People keep saying this, can you post a source where Mazda confirms it?

The turbo engine? It's pretty noticeable in the 'teaser' video Mazda put out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_iRcpJ1Z1U

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Mazda curse strikes again. That problem I spoke of earlier turns out to be a bent rim and a hosed wheel bearing. The hub needs to be replaced with the rim plus an alignment. 1250 repair cost. They tell me that the control arm or suspension may need fixing. They will know on the alignment rack.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I've got another question. Can the vibrations caused by an aftermarket rear motor mount potentially stress the other stock mounts or otherwise damage anything else on the car? I ordered a jbr 88duro rmm and I just want to be sure it won't have any effect on the reliably of other parts.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Is there a decent guide to changing transmission fluid in a 2008 floating around?

Edit: Anyone tried that Ford Motorcraft xt-m5-qs transmission fluid the mazda forums guys are head over heels for?

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=287768

I put that fluid in recently at 43K. Can't say I've noticed much difference. Maybe a tiny bit smoother, but I honestly wouldn't spend the $65 again unless I was trying to solve a problem.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

opengl128 posted:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=287768

I put that fluid in recently at 43K. Can't say I've noticed much difference. Maybe a tiny bit smoother, but I honestly wouldn't spend the $65 again unless I was trying to solve a problem.

Thanks. I wonder why all these dudes are saying they feel a miraculous transformation in their transmission after doing it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Google Butt posted:

Thanks. I wonder why all these dudes are saying they feel a miraculous transformation in their transmission after doing it.

If anything it made my car harder to shift when it is cold. It was also quite pricey. I'd just stick with whatever Mazda uses in the future.

Has anyone done a coolant flush or brake and clutch fluid flush on their gen 1 ms3? I'm at about 45k miles and thinking that couldn't hurt.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I put that in my MS3. It seemed to smooth out a bit of the notchiness. Mostly noticed it when it was warmer, cold didn't seem to change much.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Has anyone done a coolant flush or brake and clutch fluid flush on their gen 1 ms3? I'm at about 45k miles and thinking that couldn't hurt.

I did my brake fluid a couple years ago, but only because I boiled it at a track day. I don't imagine I'd have any reason to do it so far otherwise.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MetaJew posted:

You should probably flush your brake fluid every other year or so, unless you live in a very dry climate. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs and retains water,) if you let it go for too long you're asking for your brake lines to rust from the inside out.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

Cygni posted:

The turbo engine? It's pretty noticeable in the 'teaser' video Mazda put out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_iRcpJ1Z1U

It must be because I own an MS3 but I didn't even notice the turbo sounds when I watched this a couple days ago :3
Pretty likely they'll shove this in the new skyactiv chassis and call it a day.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Google Butt posted:

I've got another question. Can the vibrations caused by an aftermarket rear motor mount potentially stress the other stock mounts or otherwise damage anything else on the car? I ordered a jbr 88duro rmm and I just want to be sure it won't have any effect on the reliably of other parts.

I'd say it's the opposite. A stiffer rear mount will keep the engine from moving so much and reduce stress on the others.

Of course they're all made of cheese so there's a good chance you'll blow up the upper mount anyway. Not as stupid easy as the RMM but not hard.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd say it's the opposite. A stiffer rear mount will keep the engine from moving so much and reduce stress on the others.

Of course they're all made of cheese so there's a good chance you'll blow up the upper mount anyway. Not as stupid easy as the RMM but not hard.

Awesome, great to hear. I just picked up the 1.5 ton floor jack from HF in preperation for the RMM, pretty excited.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Monterey Bay, but I took my ms3 out for a drive today.. Summit road, HWY 9 and Bear Creek Road. Great driving roads, it was such a blast, seriously.

I've never heel toed outside of video games, feels so good to do it for real.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
So opposite of the above - my brother's MS3 has had a nasty clunk in the front end for a while and I just brought it home again tonight (he had it a few weeks ago before shipping off to Korea) and jacked up the front and went hunting and found that the bushing in his aftermarket rear mount was pretty much non-existent. I put the stock mount back in and the clunk is (unsurprisingly) gone, but should I be worried about accelerated wear on his aftermarket side mounts now? I'm going to put in a replacement bushing relatively soon but I'll leave it sitting in the garage if I'm going to hurt something by driving it.

Also is bushing wear on aftermarket mounts accelerated? It went in about two year/25,000 miles ago, the manufacturer (Sure) sells replacements for cheap, I just figured it would have lasted a bit longer.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

There was a huge crapstorm over at one of the Mazda forums (mazdas247?) about shoddy parts out of SURE. I had their RMM on my ms6 and while it never failed on me it certainly was not the same feeling I had when it was brand new. You're better off getting a new mount from a different manufacturer like JBR.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the ones I used were JBR mounts. Seriously loving solid pieces, my only regret was not doing them much, much earlier.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I quite liked the TRZ Dogbone mount I had put in. I believe it had the poly bushings.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is anyone a VIP on mazdaspeedforums? Is there anything cool or useful in there?

Any recommendations for safe jackstand points on the front and rear?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 6, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Google Butt posted:

Lift from the front and rear crossmembers, place jack stands at the corner jack points where you would normally use your scissor jack to change a flat.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Google Butt posted:

Is anyone a VIP on mazdaspeedforums? Is there anything cool or useful in there?

I usually jack up the rear directly on the subframe and support it on the control arms at the spring seats. The front is a pain in the rear end, I've found lifting on the front LCA where it connects to the subframe works best and then there's a reinforced point on the floorpan about in line with the front edge of the front doors that works well for support.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Thanks dudes. I have a clunk in the rear going slow. I wiggled the endlinks around and they seemed tight, but I didn't actually try moving the RSB with my hand yet. Does the car need to be lifted to test for that?

Just looked at the oem jack points, do I need some pinch weld adapters for my jack stands?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 6, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone know of a source for OEM (or OE-spec, doesn't have to be genuine Mazda parts) replacements for MS3 suspension components? I'm fairly certain at this point the rear-end clunk in my brother's MS3 is a bad strut (already replaced swaybar endlinks) and I'm not entirely trusting of RockAuto after they sent me a regular 3 lower grille after selecting it from the "2.3L turbocharged" category.

e: did some research on some Mazda-specific forums, seeing a lot of references to SenSen shocks/struts being better than the OEM parts at $160 for the full set. Anyone have anything good/bad to say about these?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 7, 2014

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

So tonight I was able to complete minor surgery on my little sister's 2006 Mazda6i!
I replaced the ECT sensor and turbine speed sensor to clear some CELs that have been on for a while.

I was also going to swap out the thermostat but ran into a problem trying to determine the best way to get the old one out.
On my 2006 mazda5 it was easy as I could stick my little hand in from the front and remove everything. No need to remove the tensioner or the belt.
On my sister's 2006 mazda6, there is the power steering reserve right in the way which is complicating things. I really dont want to have to remove the power steering reserve nor the belt unless I absolutely have to.

Has anyone done something like this on a mazda6? Am I over thinking it or is there an easier way?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Gonna be installing my jbr rmm, any tips?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Google Butt posted:

Gonna be installing my jbr rmm, any tips?

Properly jack and support front end, use jack to relieve some weight off motor. Remove bolts holding the motor mount on, use a small amount of oil to lube the poly bushings on the new motor mount. Slide in, tighten bolts. Realize how poo poo the stock mount was all along.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Properly jack and support front end, use jack to relieve some weight off motor. Remove bolts holding the motor mount on, use a small amount of oil to lube the poly bushings on the new motor mount. Slide in, tighten bolts. Realize how poo poo the stock mount was all along.

Thanks man! What kind of oil do you recommend for the bushing?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Geoj posted:

references to SenSen shocks/struts being better than the OEM parts at $160 for the full set. Anyone have anything good/bad to say about these?

I am thinking of getting Koni yellows or doing something else because I don't like the height, so I could sell you my SenSens if you want, I just gotta see if Edge's sale has anything I like for suspension. They're great for daily driving and are stiffer in the front, softer in the rear compared to OEM. Don't expect much for performance though. Look through my post history in this thread to get more info on how I reached my decision when shopping and it could help out with your dilemma. I no longer drive my car daily so it's more of a fun weekend thing now and I crave better suspension performance.

e: you will also want to get rear camber arms while you're at it.

Oh and this happened :toot:

air- fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 8, 2014

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
I've got a question that I'm afraid I already know the answer to, but wanted some input. I just had the tires rotated on my 2013 Speed 3. Now when I accelerate there is a small but noticeable pull to the right. I had a tire replaced a few months ago due to a near-sidewall puncture, and I opted to go for a Nexen N5000, because the stock Dunlops are $283 (!!!) a piece. It was originally in the rear, but now it's moved to the front so I have mismatched tires in the front.

I suspect the pull is due to a slight difference in tire diameter or sidewall flex. I'm going to give it some miles to wear in on the front, but I'm not sure if that's going to fix the pull. I'll probably wait until the fronts are toast then but a new full set of Michelins or something.

At least when I step on it the pull to the right offsets the torque steer a bit!

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

Petekill posted:

I've got a question that I'm afraid I already know the answer to, but wanted some input. I just had the tires rotated on my 2013 Speed 3. Now when I accelerate there is a small but noticeable pull to the right. I had a tire replaced a few months ago due to a near-sidewall puncture, and I opted to go for a Nexen N5000, because the stock Dunlops are $283 (!!!) a piece. It was originally in the rear, but now it's moved to the front so I have mismatched tires in the front.

I suspect the pull is due to a slight difference in tire diameter or sidewall flex. I'm going to give it some miles to wear in on the front, but I'm not sure if that's going to fix the pull. I'll probably wait until the fronts are toast then but a new full set of Michelins or something.

At least when I step on it the pull to the right offsets the torque steer a bit!

You never know, a wheel weight could have fallen off or something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

What would you guys do next after a new RMM? Not looking to get crazy, I can't afford an accessport/fuel pump internals right now.

Is there a standard upgrade path or anything that's worth bolting on until I get the AP/HPFP? SRI, sway bars, oil catch can, more motor mounts?!

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 10, 2014