Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

revmoo posted:

Also I wouldn't even consider an oilless compressor.

What's the reasoning behind that? There's a 20 gallon 'snap on' compressor at Costco that I've been eyeing for about a year now but I think it's oil less. It's been hovering around $200 which seems like a really good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I've been borrowing my friend's Harbor Freight electrical impact gun for a few weeks and it works great, but holy balls if it isn't the loudest thing.

Any recommendations for an electric impact gun that doesn't need earplugs? Just for automotive stuff, never seeing torque greater than 120ftlbs.

Why only 120? Not planning to use it for the heavy stuff?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

What's the reasoning behind that? There's a 20 gallon 'snap on' compressor at Costco that I've been eyeing for about a year now but I think it's oil less. It's been hovering around $200 which seems like a really good deal.

The oil-free ones tend to be much noisier and wear out more quickly.

That said, are you sure it's oilless? My much smaller / older Costco compressor still takes oil, and a quick google shows that if it's the the one talked about here then it does take oil.

I also wouldn't sweat that negative review personally. It's Costco, if you decide you don't like the compressor because it's not red enough, they'll take it back and give you a full refund and a smile.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ Absolutely. Costco and their return policy is phenomenal. They took back a 7 year old mattress set we had and gave us a 100% refund, no questions asked. :aaa:

I didn't even expect that in my wildest dreams, I was hoping for something pro-rated.

Kilersquirrel posted:

Would a small 3-gallon compressor be adequate to run an impact wrench in short bursts(i.e. just breaking things loose on high-torque fasteners rather than disassembling the entire front end of a car with it)? It wouldn't be doing any kind of sustained work so it should be about how high the CFM capacity of the fully-charged tank and hose is rather than what can be sustained by the compressor motor itself, correct? I really don't care about having to wait a few minutes for the compressor to get back up to pressure in between bursts, but I'm a little shaky on how exactly you use the various ratings to calculate air tool requirements.

I've got a coupon for 50% off one of those 3-gallon HF ones - 99% of what I'd use it for is just topping off tires and such, but I've also been meaning to get an impact wrench for a long time now. If it's doable on that type of duty cycle that would be great, otherwise I guess I'll keep saving my pennies for an electric. A huge-rear end compressor just isn't doable at the moment(unfortunately, I would love to have a monster air tank and complement of tools) since I'm currently renting and have no intention of attempting to buy the place.

Theoretically yes, but as revmoo said you'd be surprised how quickly you go through the air on an impact. The problem with those really small ones is that if you use it even once every few minutes or so, the compressor will probably never shut off and you'll end up tripping the thermal.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I was shocked at how much my 60-gal cycled when I started using it. I bought what I thought was way overkill and it ended up being adequate. Running the air ratchet really drains it and using the sandblaster will cause it to run constantly.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Kilersquirrel posted:

Would a small 3-gallon compressor be adequate to run an impact wrench in short bursts(i.e. just breaking things loose on high-torque fasteners rather than disassembling the entire front end of a car with it)?

I use a small compressor (5 gallons I think) for smaller jobs when I don't feel like dragging out the big 240v one. Works fine for removing lug nuts, axel nuts, or whatever. I carried the compressor, hose, and gun downstairs last week to blast loose the sacrificial anode on our dead (27 year old) waterheater (the rod dissolved completely and the nut was rusted on solid) so it would drain faster. Worked great.

Crank the regulator up as high as it will go and use the biggest diameter and shortest hose you can.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Small compressors aren't really worth while. If you're doing wheels and smaller stuff an electric will do the job and be cheaper. If you need more torque than an electric can do you need a bigger tank. 20 gallons would be an absolute minimum. You'll get a few seconds of use before you lose pressure.

If you're brave/stupid enough you could buy a larger tank with a busted pump for relatively cheap on CL and plumb that in. I used to run a setup with an assortment of 60 and 80 gallon tanks hooked to a single 5hp pump.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Well, that answered things thoroughly. While I'm just going to be doing automotive stuff where the toughest thing will be loosening the axle/lug nuts on my truck and bike, it sounds like I'd be better served space-wise by an electric and just continue to use the 12V inflator I've got for topping off tires.

I would redneck-engineer it up like oxbrain used to, but space is at somewhat of a premium since I need to be able to fit both cars into the garage when a severe storm rolls through.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The little pancake compressors are small and cheap enough to have around even if space is at a premium. I had one in my apartment and used it fairly frequently. Tire inflation, dust removal, air mattress inflation, brad nailer.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Why only 120? Not planning to use it for the heavy stuff?

I don't know a single bolt of anything I'd ever own that requires more. :iiam:

My crank bolt is 44ftlbs + 60 degrees, but that requires a gigantic breaker bar and pipe to do and you can't get in with an impact gun.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That said, are you sure it's oilless? My much smaller / older Costco compressor still takes oil, and a quick google shows that if it's the the one talked about here then it does take oil.

I also wouldn't sweat that negative review personally. It's Costco, if you decide you don't like the compressor because it's not red enough, they'll take it back and give you a full refund and a smile.

Huh, I guess I'm mistaken. I swear I saw an "oil free" claim on the box, maybe I'm misremembering. And from looking at that thread it looks like they've got a little bit of overzealous patriotism :911: and anything not made in the good ol' US of A is crap.

For what I would want from it it looks like it's pretty decent. Best bet would probably be to buy a bigger tank and just plumb it in to this one, I've got some room behind the garage so I could always run a short line to a larger air tank there.

Either way, I've to clear some space for this so back onto the backburner it goes.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I just returned one of those 3gal HF compressors. Even for filling tires it was pretty useless. Most of the tires I was just topping up to 15psi and they're only 7.5x19.5 Hoosiers on 10" wheels.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Eh, I've yet to really want more power than I get out of this:

It does have to refill after zipping off five lug nuts but it doesn't take long and doesn't seem to be overworking itself to do so. Full disclosure, the rustiest vehicle I've ever had to work on would only be a 0.01 on the Sockington scale, though.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Kilersquirrel posted:

I would redneck-engineer it up like oxbrain used to, but space is at somewhat of a premium since I need to be able to fit both cars into the garage when a severe storm rolls through.

Hey, my official title was Vice President of We Don't Have The Budget For That Make It Work Anyway. It's not redneck engineering if you do it for a living. :jeb::hf::pseudo:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Put a lift in your garage so you can park one car under the other. :getin:

I don't know a single bolt of anything I'd ever own that requires more. :iiam:

My crank bolt is 44ftlbs + 60 degrees, but that requires a gigantic breaker bar and pipe to do and you can't get in with an impact gun.

Not to tighten, maybe, but loosening? Exhaust flanges, subframe/crossmember bolts, lugnuts that are rusty/corroded and/or some rear end in a top hat gunned on, axle nuts, your crank (you can lift the rad/condenser package on a 240 and get in with an extension IIRC), uh, other stuff? Mainly exhaust bolts, that was what broke me down enough to buy the $20 HF corded sound impact gun. gently caress is that thing loud.

Oh wait you live in Cali and corrosion is an unknown Lovecraftian horror, mentioned only in hushed whispers and glimpsed only in bedshitting unremembered nightmares. Nevermind, carry on. :v:

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 8, 2014

parid
Mar 18, 2004
My compressor broke a year ago. I got a nice 1/2" cordless impact and haven't looked back. I can easily take off a 54mm nut of an rx7 flywheel. Factory torque on that is ~300 ft/lbs with 20 years of crusty age to hold it on. I can't imaging ever needing more torque than that on one of my cars.

parid fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 8, 2014

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

What's a good code reader? I don't need bluetooth or realtime monitoring.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had a little Husky 1 gallon compressor when I started. Did the job, I even ran a framing nailer with it for a while. Got real tired of waiting for it though so I swapped it for a lovely table saw to use for ripping fireblocking and bought a DeWalt D55146 jobsite compressor (1.6hp, 4.5 gallon) which has done pretty well for me working on the house and occasionally using air tools for auto work.

Then I picked up a 6hp 60 gallon compressor needing a motor and other repairs from Disgruntled Bovine's company's scrap dumpster. Can't wait to get that thing running... I may never need the jobsite compressor again.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Splizwarf posted:

Not to tighten, maybe, but loosening? Exhaust flanges, subframe/crossmember bolts, lugnuts that are rusty/corroded and/or some rear end in a top hat gunned on, axle nuts, your crank (you can lift the rad/condenser package on a 240 and get in with an extension IIRC), uh, other stuff? Mainly exhaust bolts, that was what broke me down enough to buy the $20 HF corded sound impact gun. gently caress is that thing loud.

Oh wait you live in Cali and corrosion is an unknown Lovecraftian horror, mentioned only in hushed whispers and glimpsed only in bedshitting unremembered nightmares. Nevermind, carry on. :v:

What is this $20 impact gun? I'm curious to try something, even if I'll have to return it when it breaks halfway through a tire rotation :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

QuarkMartial posted:

What is this $20 impact gun? I'm curious to try something, even if I'll have to return it when it breaks halfway through a tire rotation :v:

Edit: Looks like I bought it in April of 2010 and paid $33 for it. 4+ years of use and still going strong, absolutely worth it. Sadly it's $50 these days and I haven't seen it on sale much of late.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 8, 2014

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

door Door door posted:

Double posting, sorry, I'm on a phone.

Advance Auto Parts sells one, and I can't think of the brand. Theres a few different models, but even the cheapest one will pull the code # and let you clear codes. The $250 one does more stuff like code definitions, top reported fixes (easily rendered useless by google), ABS and other module codes, live data etc.

Don't buy the cheap bluetooth one; they sucker you by having youay more later to unlock features and such.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

door Door door posted:

If you have an android phone, a $20 bluetooth dongle from Amazon and the $5 Torque app will read/clear codes and allow realtime monitoring of just about anything on your car. Plus it only costs $25. If you have an iPhone, ignore everything I just said.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Cat Hatter posted:

If you have an android phone, a $20 bluetooth dongle from Amazon and the $5 Torque app will read/clear codes and allow realtime monitoring of just about anything on your car. Plus it only costs $25. If you have an iPhone, ignore everything I just said.

Sadly I am one of the latter kind of people. Looks like I'll just get a cheapie reader and plan on frequent googling.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Haha, that's the one I'm using right now. I guess I meant torque to tighten. :v:

I'd honestly rather pay twice as much for something that doesn't require me to get my shooting muffs every time I take off a wheel. Also possibly something a bit... smaller? The thing is gargantuan!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

door Door door posted:

Sadly I am one of the latter kind of people. Looks like I'll just get a cheapie reader and plan on frequent googling.

It doesn't take much of an Android device to run Torque. Any used phone with BT, or probably even one of those awful $60 tablets at Fry's or some poo poo like that.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Haha, that's the one I'm using right now. I guess I meant torque to tighten. :v:

I'd honestly rather pay twice as much for something that doesn't require me to get my shooting muffs every time I take off a wheel. Also possibly something a bit... smaller? The thing is gargantuan!

Yeah, it's like a 5qt KitchenAid mixer head with a trigger and grip tacked on.

I always feel like I'm hefting an 80s sci-fi movie prop gun for killing robots, it just needs some throbbing blue neon panels on the sides.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

It doesn't take much of an Android device to run Torque. Any used phone with BT, or probably even one of those awful $60 tablets at Fry's or some poo poo like that.

Get a used (or carrier locked/bed ESN) phone off of craigslist. My old HTC Evo 4G runs torque just fine.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Lost power for a while and decided to build a USB phone charger:

Takes Ryobi batteries and gives you two USB ports. Charged my phone to 100% several times without even trying.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I had to say it. I just haaaaad to say that I've had no problems with my HF flare nut wrenches. I just managed to explode the 3/8" end and rip out a chunk of my finger. So it goes.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

OSU_Matthew posted:

:stare:

Holy crap, you weren't kidding about lifts getting cheap--apparently you can get a lift for 1500$?? That's impulse buy money right there. I'd think labor costs alone of digging out the pit would probably be comparable.

We were daydreaming about those at work, one challenge is the required foundation. The first one I pulled up requires a 12" thick slab to bolt onto. That's a lot of concrete depending on the design. The other is headroom.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If you don't need the full lifting height of a conventional two post lift then the MaxJax seems pretty popular on Garage Journal and such. I'm planning on getting one of those or some other smaller lift when I get a house unless I get lucky and find a place with a large garage that has very high ceilings.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

QuarkMartial posted:

I mentioned it on the last page, but I picked this up from harbor freight about a year ago, and it's done absolutely everything I've asked of it with no complaint. This includes working on a 25 year old rustbelt truck.

It's pretty hefty too--it definitely feels quality, fwiw

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 9, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Galler posted:

If you don't need the full lifting height of a conventional two post lift then the MaxJax seems pretty popular on Garage Journal and such. I'm planning on getting one of those or some other smaller lift when I get a house unless I get lucky and find a place with a large garage that has very high ceilings.

I want this so bad.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm in the market for a Dremel/rotary cutting tool. I'll be using it for removing caulking, as well as cutting thin metal brackets that are holding up a bathroom mirror (pictured here). Any suggestions? I was considering the Dremel Multi-Max, but wasn't sure if it's the best tool for the job.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 9, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

I want this so bad.

Absolutely. The easily removable angle is cool as hell with just threading into the slab.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

melon cat posted:

I'm in the market for a Dremel/rotary cutting tool. I'll be using it for removing caulking, as well as cutting thin metal brackets that are holding up a bathroom mirror (pictured here). Any suggestions? I was considering the Dremel Multi-Max, but wasn't sure if it's the best tool for the job.

I've been abusing one of these for nearly a decade now and it's still going strong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Absolutely. The easily removable angle is cool as hell with just threading into the slab.

I still can't make it work. We're moving into a brand new complex where my girlfriend will be working at. No way I can drill into a new slab.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I still can't make it work. We're moving into a brand new complex where my girlfriend will be working at. No way I can drill into a new slab.

Drill it, Install red-heads, and remove them, fill holes with patch when you leave... sounds easy enough to me.

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

Galler posted:

Is there anything like this that can get a full 6 feet of height? 1 minute of google turned up some school bus lifting monstrosity, that's a bit more than I would want. I've got a 30x40 pole barn. It's a great garage, but sticking a lift in any part of it is still kind of in the way. I've got 12 foot ceilings, so most 2 post lifts would just fit.

Right now my biggest issue is having too many bulky stupid items and not enough good storage. I need a forklift so I can put my poo poo (table saw, snow blower, lawn sweeper, motorcycle etc) up and out of the way when not in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SPORK08 posted:

I need a forklift

Just solved all your problems. Buy a forklift.

I was contemplating a cable/pulley system in my old house, but instead built a storage shed.