Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

in_cahoots posted:

I may just be lucky, but I've bought tons of furniture off Craigslist without a problem. I always vet the sellers/house and will only purchase if they seem honest, reasonably clean (not that bedbugs come from unclean surroundings, but people who care about appearances are probably more likely to notice bedbugs) and have a legitimate reason for selling.

You are going to have a ton of expenses with the baby on its way, and it doesn't seem as if you have the credit to cover you. I would seriously consider getting the cheapest couch you can live with. Are you planning on having a 'baby savings' row in YNAB?

OK I'm not going to say either way what we'll do yet regarding the couch but your input is appreciated.

What do we need a baby savings for? Not trying to be sarcastic or anything I'm just genuinely ignorant.

Also my all-too-kind grandmother said that if we pay off our car by February (or at least "a drat good earnest effort requiring sacrifice" according to her) she'll give us $5,000.00 (of my humble inheritance). That should give us some leeway on medical bills if we can manage it somehow. I don't think that's mathematically possible for us in time but I bet if we're 2 months off with a small principal left she would be still be down for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You need baby savings for the 6-8k in out of pocket expenses for the birth. Holy crap kids are expensive.

Do cloth diapers man. Cheaper and more environmentally friendly. My sis and I were both raised w cloth diapers and she was home birthed with a midwife. Pretty much FTMFW IMO. And my folks are/have been/were drat comfortable. I would have been at a birthing home but I didn't want to come out so the home wouldn't have me.

How are Penney's leather couches? Real leather. I have never looked but when we move, we need a new couch... The hand-me-down loveseat/full hideabed is great for our siblings to stay with us during their vacations, but it's both tiny and hideous.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

OK I'm not going to say either way what we'll do yet regarding the couch but your input is appreciated.

What do we need a baby savings for? Not trying to be sarcastic or anything I'm just genuinely ignorant.

Also my all-too-kind grandmother said that if we pay off our car by February (or at least "a drat good earnest effort requiring sacrifice" according to her) she'll give us $5,000.00 (of my humble inheritance). That should give us some leeway on medical bills if we can manage it somehow. I don't think that's mathematically possible for us in time but I bet if we're 2 months off with a small principal left she would be still be down for that.

Just off the top of my head you'll need diapers (cloth is more expensive upfront but cheaper in the long run), a crib with bedding, a car seat, stroller, food, and an endless supply of age-appropriate clothes, books, and toys. Not to mention the medical expenses for your wife and infant. Will she continue drawing a paycheck? What if she has to go on bed rest for a month or two? How long will she take for maternity leave? And that's not even counting the lifestyle change- it's a lot easier to justify eating out when you're exhausted and your wife is nine months pregnant.

I don't mean to be rude, but have you seriously not considered how expensive a baby is? I'm childless and have never even held a baby, and I know they cost thousands of dollars over the first few years. It's possible to save here and there (hand-me-down clothing and toys, etc.) but it will be cheaper if you start looking for that before you need it. Ask your parents/Google and I'm sure you can come up with a list and a budget.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

You need baby savings for the 6-8k in out of pocket expenses for the birth. Holy crap kids are expensive.

Do cloth diapers man. Cheaper and more environmentally friendly. My sis and I were both raised w cloth diapers and she was home birthed with a midwife. Pretty much FTMFW IMO. And my folks are/have been/were drat comfortable. I would have been at a birthing home but I didn't want to come out so the home wouldn't have me.

How are Penney's leather couches? Real leather. I have never looked but when we move, we need a new couch... The hand-me-down loveseat/full hideabed is great for our siblings to stay with us during their vacations, but it's both tiny and hideous.

Yep definitely looking to do cloth diapers. I think it's going to suck cleaning them but I agree for all your points above. I'll check out some of their leather couches tomorrow or this weekend and give you some input on them.

in_cahoots posted:

Just off the top of my head you'll need diapers (cloth is more expensive upfront but cheaper in the long run), a crib with bedding, a car seat, stroller, food, and an endless supply of age-appropriate clothes, books, and toys. Not to mention the medical expenses for your wife and infant. Will she continue drawing a paycheck? What if she has to go on bed rest for a month or two? How long will she take for maternity leave? And that's not even counting the lifestyle change- it's a lot easier to justify eating out when you're exhausted and your wife is nine months pregnant.

I don't mean to be rude, but have you seriously not considered how expensive a baby is? I'm childless and have never even held a baby, and I know they cost thousands of dollars over the first few years. It's possible to save here and there (hand-me-down clothing and toys, etc.) but it will be cheaper if you start looking for that before you need it. Ask your parents/Google and I'm sure you can come up with a list and a budget.

Ah OK all of the baby gear. Well a lot of our expenses are going to be determined by the gender. My wife's family has 5 baby boys in it with the oldest being 5 years old, and we're likely the last couple that will be giving birth for awhile. If we have a boy we'll have a ton of hand me downs and cheap options for stuff. Also a lot of the expensive stuff family members have already called dibs on like a crib, a stroller, a car seat, and a little more. If we have a girl then yea it'll be more expensive... but wife's family is already tearing at the heels to buy little girl clothes because this generation hasn't had a girl yet.

The maternity leave and stuff we honestly don't know yet. I'll probably discuss this with you guys and her throughout the process so we can come up with an answer. I understand regarding the eating out stuff. That's where I'll need to step up as best I can.

Anyway this is a bit of a reality check for baby gear regardless. It's all still a little surreal for me that we will not only have a baby, but that we'll have to take care of it. So I guess to answer your question: yes we'll have to setup a pregnancy savings. I'll make sure to do this come the next round of budgeting on the 23rd.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Knyteguy posted:

Well a lot of our expenses are going to be determined by the gender. My wife's family has 5 baby boys in it with the oldest being 5 years old, and we're likely the last couple that will be giving birth for awhile. If we have a boy we'll have a ton of hand me downs and cheap options for stuff. Also a lot of the expensive stuff family members have already called dibs on like a crib, a stroller, a car seat, and a little more. If we have a girl then yea it'll be more expensive... but wife's family is already tearing at the heels to buy little girl clothes because this generation hasn't had a girl yet.
Your baby will not give a poo poo whether its clothes/toys are blue or pink for several years. I understand that people like to match baby girls with pink and sparkles and unicorns, and baby boys with blue and sports motifs and whatever the gently caress, but surely you can find hand-me-downs that would be gender neutral enough for your purposes(if you do have a girl). I wouldn't expect you to give a theoretical girl nothing but hand-me-down boy stuff, but don't snub girl-suitable free stuff just because a boy had it first. On that note, it's helpful that your wife's family is prepared to buy a bunch of little girl clothes, but I wouldn't rely on them for more than a year or so's worth of clothes(the excitement of :sparkles: the first girl in your generation will wear off sooner or later) - and getting hand-me-downs past that would be a real boon.

All of this is moot if you end up with a boy, of course. :v:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Knyteguy posted:

The maternity leave and stuff we honestly don't know yet. I'll probably discuss this with you guys and her throughout the process so we can come up with an answer. I understand regarding the eating out stuff. That's where I'll need to step up as best I can.

For the next baby, you should figure out the maternity leave benefits (and paternity) way before any sperm get close to a fertilizable egg.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Uncle Jam posted:

For the next baby, you should figure out the maternity leave benefits (and paternity) way before any sperm get close to a fertilizable egg.

Well we know the benefits (I'll try to work remotely most days for a month and just blow through whatever vacation I have) and my wife will take what she can take. My primary concern is I like-and for now just like-the idea of her being a stay at home mom at least while the baby is an infant.

Haifisch posted:

Baby clothes

Hah well yea you're right if we have a boy. We're doing this right now: my wife's sister just gave us the baby's first outfit which is an olive green owl outfit. Very gender neutral. I do think you're right about blue vs pink so I'll be sure to nudge my sister-in-law for some extra clothes and supplies.

I imagine that kids start to get really expensive when they're around 6-7+? That's when they'll start to want expensive electronics, new shoes, and etc.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 4, 2014

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Whatcha think about some WFH for your wife? I don't have suggestions but that would be great.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Whatcha think about some WFH for your wife? I don't have suggestions but that would be great.

I've thrown the idea of transcription out there for her a few times over the years; maybe she'll be more willing to bite when the baby comes. I'll encourage her to look into more WFH opportunities though, thanks.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Knyteguy posted:

I imagine that kids start to get really expensive when they're around 6-7+? That's when they'll start to want expensive electronics, new shoes, and etc.
Kids get expensive when you want them to.

edit: except for medical expenses I guess. Not much choice there.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 7, 2014

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hahahaha work from home with a baby. If there isn't someone there watching the kid so she can work that ain't gonna happen.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Hey I didn't get a chance to get down to Penneys to check out their couches, but I asked my wife to look at them. She said she didn't see any leather ones at her store (they only had a few on display; the rest was catalog only). It looks like they're pretty pricey though. Some of the couches she saw were apparently $4,000.00 for a normal cloth sectional. I'd probably go to Ethan Allen in that price range (or one of the other mid-to-high tier furniture places).

Cicero posted:

Kids get expensive when you want them to.

edit: except for medical expenses I guess. Not much choice there.

Hm well we definitely want them to have humble beginnings. We'll probably all play video games together, but I'd really like most of their entertainment to be outside having fun. Thanks for the input.

We picked up a new couch this weekend. We ended up going to the thrift store and getting a pretty nice one for $149.00 (orig $199.00 but we talked them down). We also got floor model La-Z-Boy recliners with the tags still on them for $70.00 a piece. We didn't need the recliners, but our couch budget had a hard limit of $500.00 so we still came out about $200.00 under after delivery (plus it was tax free).

Edit here's a couple pictures of what we got if anyone is curious:

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 7, 2014

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Pretty sure my parents had that exact same couch. I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but you really should sort out if and when your wife is going back to work so you can start looking for a good daycare. Infant care is particularly expensive and may eat up a good chuck (or even most) of her paycheck. Depending on how much she makes, what kind of a job it is and whether you need her insurance, it may not make sense for her to go back for the first year.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Brennanite posted:

Pretty sure my parents had that exact same couch. I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but you really should sort out if and when your wife is going back to work so you can start looking for a good daycare. Infant care is particularly expensive and may eat up a good chuck (or even most) of her paycheck. Depending on how much she makes, what kind of a job it is and whether you need her insurance, it may not make sense for her to go back for the first year.
His insurance is horrid. It may he better for next year though. Or maybe a Marketplace plan?

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Nice job on the couch, that's good hustle.

Think about that in all parts of life - you can so often buy used.

People get rid of extremely decent stuff all the time. You can often get yourself higher end, quality made things for less than the cost of crappy brands new. And people who buy higher end usually take care of their things.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Brennanite posted:

Depending on how much she makes, what kind of a job it is and whether you need her insurance, it may not make sense for her to go back for the first year.

Be careful about running this strictly by the numbers of wages vs daycare. A year+ gap in your work history can make you a lot less competitive for non-entry-level positions. Explaining it as SAHM can set you up for family responsibilities discrimination, which isn't protected everywhere.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Engineer Lenk posted:

Be careful about running this strictly by the numbers of wages vs daycare. A year+ gap in your work history can make you a lot less competitive for non-entry-level positions. Explaining it as SAHM can set you up for family responsibilities discrimination, which isn't protected everywhere.

Isn't protected anywhere is more like it. If your wife should lose/quit her job, that's the sort of thing that is impossible to prove. The NYTimes had an article recently about women who made this choice, and they were universally underemployed/underpaid compared to their peers. Employers will couch it in terms of being familiar with the latest technologies, but the fact of the matter is that most businesses would rather hire the twenty-something with no family than the mom with equivalent experience.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

imabanana posted:

Nice job on the couch, that's good hustle.

Think about that in all parts of life - you can so often buy used.

People get rid of extremely decent stuff all the time. You can often get yourself higher end, quality made things for less than the cost of crappy brands new. And people who buy higher end usually take care of their things.

This is great advice. My wife likes to go to yard sales, and I've gotten into it as well. I stopped at one while walking the dog and noticed that they had some really nice dishware, in 4 or 5 different sets. I went home and grabbed the wife, and for $35 we got:
10 large dishes
10 small dishes
12 medium dishes
8 coffee cups
12 bowls
4 salad bowls

All were brand new with Pier 1 price tags on them; the sticker price for everything was over $250! The lady I bought them from worked as a house cleaner and they cleaned out a house of a hoarder. These were part of the payment.

I feel like starting a yard sale thread, but I'm by no means a master. My wife and her mom know the ins and outs, like what time to go (early early early!) and what neighborhoods are worth checking out.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

I feel like starting a yard sale thread, but I'm by no means a master. My wife and her mom know the ins and outs, like what time to go (early early early!) and what neighborhoods are worth checking out.

I would be really interested in reading about this. A good friend and I tried it one time to try to make a profit but got lazy on the first day :getin:.

So here's a report on a bad financial decision that I'm contemplating. Some input would be great:
I really like sports, but we've been without cable for a little over a year now making them difficult to watch. I ordered cable for install on the 24th since they had a pretty good deal at $96/mo for a gently caress ton of channels and 60mbps internet. This price goes up in 12 months but that's usually rectified with a phone call.

My main interest is in the NFL though, and we're out of market (Detroit Lions wat). That means to watch all of the NFL games I want to watch we're talking about another $200.00 a year absolute minimum, and that's with a little VPN cheating, and close to $400 without the vpn. I didn't remember this until after I ordered. However we can still cancel since we don't have it installed or anything, so no harm no foul yet.

So I'm thinking that instead of getting the metric gently caress ton of channels (which means no Game of Thrones again :(), that we just get the $200.00 a year NFL package and I put together a small HTPC for a couple hundred? Ack I don't know. Does anyone have any ideas? Watching football this year is really important to me, and since we're out of market it's not like I can just go get an antenna and converter box, or buy the cheapest season tickets or something.

Edit:

Also contemplating just the season package. I'll have plenty of options to watch playoff games:

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 11, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Buy an HTPC and stream that poo poo for free. :ssh:

I understand if you want to support the business and stuff because you like it, but frankly I think your baby comes first.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Jeffrey posted:

Buy an HTPC and stream that poo poo for free. :ssh:

I understand if you want to support the business and stuff because you like it, but frankly I think your baby comes first.

That's what we did last year but I think they really cracked down on it (the streaming). But yea, baby comes first.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Knyteguy posted:

So here's a report on a bad financial decision that I'm contemplating.

quote:

All of that stuff you mentioned is true. We have been sacrificing our long term happiness for short term pleasures. 100%.
You have a baby coming. If I was in your position, I would not do this. Maybe you could get into eSports instead? They're usually free to watch online, the Dota2 International that just started even has a newbie viewing stream! :v:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

You have a baby coming. If I was in your position, I would not do this. Maybe you could get into eSports instead? They're usually free to watch online, the Dota2 International that just started even has a newbie viewing stream! :v:

drat. You're right. I'll try to find another way to watch football without spending money.

Also I used to watch eSports a lot :). Jaedong was boss. I did see that Dota tournament thread... I'll give it a look thanks.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Knyteguy posted:

Does anyone have any ideas?
Make friends who like to watch the same things you watch, then go watch it with them. Bring a six-pack as thanks. Or go watch the games in a sports bar. You'll still come out ahead over cable even buying beer. Plus you get beer. I don't remember the last time I watched GoT alone; it's much more fun with friends anyway!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I picked up a Core 2 Duo for $40 with 3gb of DDR2 and picked up a $10 (after rebate) video card with HDMI and have a pretty decent HTPC. Not a bad option. Or use your laptop w/ HDMI, if you have one?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

I picked up a Core 2 Duo for $40 with 3gb of DDR2 and picked up a $10 (after rebate) video card with HDMI and have a pretty decent HTPC. Not a bad option. Or use your laptop w/ HDMI, if you have one?

I really like this idea as well, and that's even beyond wanting to watch football. I'll see if I can make a reasonable amount of room in the budget for this after the baby is born. With a TV card I think this could work as a DVR with OTA content too which would be neat. My wife has a laptop but unfortunately it's the old VGA connector only. That thing chokes opening a browser too. Great for YNAB though!

moana: I generally dislike sports bars... but this could be a good alternative to watch some football. Luckily they're smoke free around here so we could use part of our entertainment budget and make it a family affair for cheap.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

moana: I generally dislike sports bars... but this could be a good alternative to watch some football. Luckily they're smoke free around here so we could use part of our entertainment budget and make it a family affair for cheap.
Jesus christ, $1.50 for beer, $2.50 for nonshit beer? That's cheap as hell. Is this in a casino or something?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

moana posted:

Make friends who like to watch the same things you watch, then go watch it with them. Bring a six-pack as thanks. Or go watch the games in a sports bar. You'll still come out ahead over cable even buying beer. Plus you get beer. I don't remember the last time I watched GoT alone; it's much more fun with friends anyway!

What out of market town is going to show the Detroit Lions in their sports bars?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

moana posted:

Jesus christ, $1.50 for beer, $2.50 for nonshit beer? That's cheap as hell. Is this in a casino or something?

Yep! That doesn't always make it cheap though; sometimes casinos charge $6.00 for a domestic. That's usually the touristy ones though.

Uncle Jam posted:

What out of market town is going to show the Detroit Lions in their sports bars?

Ouch. I guess I can take that from a Tigers fan.

They run the (betting) Sports Book right across the aisle. Pretty much any bettable event imaginable runs within view of the sports bar, so it's just a matter of looking at the television to the left instead of above or something.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

I dunno, I'm not a sports fan. I saw the Chargers games in a bar when I was in Hawaii, and the Chargers suck rear end.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Knyteguy posted:

Yep! That doesn't always make it cheap though; sometimes casinos charge $6.00 for a domestic. That's usually the touristy ones though.

Ouch. I guess I can take that from a Tigers fan.

They run the (betting) Sports Book right across the aisle. Pretty much any bettable event imaginable runs within view of the sports bar, so it's just a matter of looking at the television to the left instead of above or something.

Haha I watch most of the Lions games. It only increases my blood pressure. I'm not sure why you'd seek punishment out like that but hey to each their own.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Knyteguy posted:

That's what we did last year but I think they really cracked down on it (the streaming). But yea, baby comes first.

They've been cracking down on streaming for years. Sometimes it's just painful... but not as painful as that cable bill.

You need to get a hold of your urge to entertain and gratify with costly things. I've just breezed through this thread and I don't think you are grasping the concept that you YOU CAN'T SPEND 600+ IN RESTAURANTS. Holy crap.

You're a good guy. You are not Slow Motion by any stretch because you want to change... except something is just not getting through to you. You need a leg up now, and quick before you have a child... it's time for pain. Stop looking to distract yourself with cushy ways to watch football or gaming computers.... just STOP IT. Please. If I'm reading your financial disclosure on the previous page you have $20 total in your saving account yet this month you are budgeting nearly $30 for costs related to a gaming computer. WTF. 30 bucks is nothing but sadly that's more nothing than you have in savings.

Cultivate a feeling of revulsion when it comes to whipping out your wallet and saying gently caress it. Stop two seconds and think, swallow your pride and need for quick gratification, feel the pain, and walk away. You will see the pile slowly get bigger at the end of each month and, hopefully, you'll learn to welcome that burn because that means more serious money for serious things.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
If football is a priority, why haven't you been budgeting for this for months now? They did not change or reschedule the season yesterday. I might be a little more sympathetic if you hadn't spent SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS ON RESTAURANTS last month when you have a baby on the way and a TWENTY SIX THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR LOAN AT ELEVEN loving PERCENT.

This is just reminds me of the PS4 incident all over again. You know you've wanted something for months, you don't save for it, and then oh well, you'll just buy it anyways and get chastised in BFC for it.

Also, I don't use YNAB so I'm not sure about this, but are you using it correctly? Are you really just supposed to enter in the amount you spent in the budgeted column? Because that makes no sense to me as it's not budgeting, it's just entering the amount you spent at the end of the month. It's not imposing an restrictions on you, so why bother? It would be a lot more useful if you had $100 in the budgeted column for restaurants and then you don't get to spend more than that. Right?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Aristotle Animes posted:

They've been cracking down on streaming for years. Sometimes it's just painful... but not as painful as that cable bill.

You need to get a hold of your urge to entertain and gratify with costly things. I've just breezed through this thread and I don't think you are grasping the concept that you YOU CAN'T SPEND 600+ IN RESTAURANTS. Holy crap.

You're a good guy. You are not Slow Motion by any stretch because you want to change... except something is just not getting through to you. You need a leg up now, and quick before you have a child... it's time for pain. Stop looking to distract yourself with cushy ways to watch football or gaming computers.... just STOP IT. Please. If I'm reading your financial disclosure on the previous page you have $20 total in your saving account yet this month you are budgeting nearly $30 for costs related to a gaming computer. WTF. 30 bucks is nothing but sadly that's more nothing than you have in savings.

Cultivate a feeling of revulsion when it comes to whipping out your wallet and saying gently caress it. Stop two seconds and think, swallow your pride and need for quick gratification, feel the pain, and walk away. You will see the pile slowly get bigger at the end of each month and, hopefully, you'll learn to welcome that burn because that means more serious money for serious things.

Just to clarify though our checking earns 2.5% where our savings is like .002%, so we use our checking account as our savings account (we get a little dividend every month). We actually have about $334.00 saved right now.

With that said, point taken. We are really interested in early retirement, so one thing I've tried that has has saved me from a couple purchases has been asking myself if the purchase was worth delaying retirement. I definitely am continuing to try to work on the impulsive behavior though, and it's definitely been better this month so far. Not perfect, but better. Posting our YNAB statements in here once a month will help keep me honest about my spending.

I think after we move I'll switch to posting our YNAB statements weekly. We're going to have a significant amount of money leftover and we need to save it no matter what. I really dislike saying something in here and then not doing it. It's very flaky behavior.

quote:

You will see the pile slowly get bigger at the end of each month and, hopefully, you'll learn to welcome that burn because that means more serious money for serious things.
I want that more than anything. I understand that saving money isn't just going to reduce our stress, but it's going to buy our freedom from having to work the next forty+ years of our lives.

Thank you for the insight. I feel more motivated.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

bergeoisie posted:

If football is a priority, why haven't you been budgeting for this for months now? They did not change or reschedule the season yesterday. I might be a little more sympathetic if you hadn't spent SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS ON RESTAURANTS last month when you have a baby on the way and a TWENTY SIX THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR LOAN AT ELEVEN loving PERCENT.

This is just reminds me of the PS4 incident all over again. You know you've wanted something for months, you don't save for it, and then oh well, you'll just buy it anyways and get chastised in BFC for it.

Also, I don't use YNAB so I'm not sure about this, but are you using it correctly? Are you really just supposed to enter in the amount you spent in the budgeted column? Because that makes no sense to me as it's not budgeting, it's just entering the amount you spent at the end of the month. It's not imposing an restrictions on you, so why bother? It would be a lot more useful if you had $100 in the budgeted column for restaurants and then you don't get to spend more than that. Right?

I was planning to get an OTA antenna and digi converter box for football (which is what I'll still likely do next month to catch SF bay area games) but I didn't think about out of market games not playing here. I'm not trying to justify getting cable I just wasn't thinking ahead. I've resigned to deal with the reality that watching games is going to be a pain in the rear end until next season, as annoyed as I am by it. I'll be cancelling cable TV and just keeping the internet; same as now.

Well I think we're using YNAB correctly. http://www.youneedabudget.com/method/rule-three says to roll with the punches. We can do something like SloMo does and post expected and actual, and we can do that with YNAB, but I think that's a little more advanced and something we're supposed to do once we have a buffer (rule four of YNAB). That way we can leave categories red into next month and start with a deficit. If we did expected actual now I think we could really screw ourselves over since we don't have money to cover negative amounts.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Knyteguy posted:

Thank you for the insight. I feel more motivated.

You've got the will, you've shown everyone that. The next step is follow through.

Here's a next step that is going to take some will power. Go call Directv and do everything you can to weasel out of that satellite. Netflix and Other Methods are easier on the wallet. You need to take a big step and start making it burn.

Is 200 channels of poo poo really worth 1200-1400 a year when you can get almost everything from the internet and being social like Moana suggested?? That money just sitting in your checking account might mean 3,783 - 4,413 bucks in 3 years. poo poo son, you just started a college fund for the spawn.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Knyteguy posted:

we don't have money to cover negative amounts.

That is it, all in a nutshell. You had most of us fooled with the TV purchase fake out simply because it dull sounds like something you might actually do, just like ordering cable and then asking us whether it was a good idea as if you didn't already know.

You need to tighten your belt, and it won't be easy. But once you've built up a savings buffer, you'll be able to look back and say it was worth it.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Well I think we're using YNAB correctly. http://www.youneedabudget.com/method/rule-three says to roll with the punches. We can do something like SloMo does and post expected and actual, and we can do that with YNAB, but I think that's a little more advanced and something we're supposed to do once we have a buffer (rule four of YNAB). That way we can leave categories red into next month and start with a deficit. If we did expected actual now I think we could really screw ourselves over since we don't have money to cover negative amounts.

Yep. Although the way I'm reading Rule 1 is that you do start with an expected budget and then adjust as the month goes on by reallocating money from various categories. So each time you hit up Applebees, you say to yourself, "I'm reallocating this money from the Car Payment category to the Restaurant category". By rolling with the punches you still have to change that money's job from one category to another. I think you should be more cognizant of where and when those moves are occurring.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Aristotle Animes posted:

Here's a next step that is going to take some will power. Go call Directv and do everything you can to weasel out of that satellite. Netflix and Other Methods are easier on the wallet. You need to take a big step and start making it burn.

No problem getting out of the television. It's with the cable company and it's all no contract. There's no obligation to pay until after install.

SpelledBackwards posted:

That is it, all in a nutshell. You had most of us fooled with the TV purchase fake out simply because it dull sounds like something you might actually do, just like ordering cable and then asking us whether it was a good idea as if you didn't already know.

You need to tighten your belt, and it won't be easy. But once you've built up a savings buffer, you'll be able to look back and say it was worth it.

You're right I totally would do that with the television. Ironically I bought a projector television last February.

Just to set a hard number for this month I expect our optional expenses to total less than $200.00. Please yell at me if we go over this. That leaves us roughly $15.00 for the rest of the month for whatever. That would cut out $600.00 in optional expenses from last month. I think that's some belt tightening. Optional expenses is defined how we have it in YNAB: Entertainment, Clothing & Grooming, Restaurants, Alcohol. If we're successful maybe we can try $150.00 for August.

Edit: math and clarification :downs:

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

bergeoisie posted:

You should set a budgeted dollar amount at the date you get paid (or first of the month, once you hit Rule 4 and are a month ahead - I did it like this from the start but I counted my income before I received it, as it is -very- fixed; Now I am Rule 4 (a month ahead) and its super easy)) and then adjust down at the end of the month, and let the balance rollover or increase savings categories. I book the extra into my emergency fund or buffer every month.

Knyteguy posted:

With that said, point taken. We are really interested in early retirement, so one thing I've tried that has has saved me from a couple purchases has been asking myself if the purchase was worth delaying retirement. I definitely am continuing to try to work on the impulsive behavior though, and it's definitely been better this month so far. Not perfect, but better.
Your car man, your car...

Knyteguy posted:

I was planning to get an OTA antenna and digi converter box for football (which is what I'll still likely do next month to catch SF bay area games) but I didn't think about out of market games not playing here. I'm not trying to justify getting cable I just wasn't thinking ahead. I've resigned to deal with the reality that watching games is going to be a pain in the rear end until next season, as annoyed as I am by it. I'll be cancelling cable TV and just keeping the internet; same as now.
Do it. Also, I just dropped our internet bill over $30mo (promo came off for my gf's account) by canceling my gf's account and opening another in my name. Same day as it shut off. And they waived the 'self service setup fee' cuz I chatted after I set it up yesterday. You may consider doing that, you have 2 SSNs! Went from $64.95 to $34.95. Prior promo was $39.99, so I'm still saving money over that even.

Knyteguy posted:

What I do is set my budget at the start of the month, and export the file to Excel. Then I clear it to 0 rollover (for most categories, some like Pet care and Vehicle maintenance I roll forward, along with all the bill categories) and export to Excel, and then make a comparison of the two.

• Locked thread