Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

the Nine for IX documentary about the 99 Women's World Cup was happy and awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Fernando Nation was happy I thought. Also The U and Reggie Miller were good fun. Recently it's all been depressing though.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

spamman posted:

Fernando Nation was happy I thought. Also The U and Reggie Miller were good fun. Recently it's all been depressing though.

those aren't about soccer

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Whoops, so it was. Then yeah, Nine for IX.

Although Mysteries of the Rimet Trophy and maybe The Myth of Garrincha could be perhaps a touch happier.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Maradona 86 wasn't sad. Melancholy perhaps

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

A heads up to those interested, Bad Boys and all of the Soccer Stories have been added to Netflix, so if you missed Hillsborough, check it out ASAP.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Not a 30 for 30, but a great sports documentary.....The Good Son about the life of boxer Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini and him meeting the wife and son of Deuk-Koo Kim, the man who died while fighting Mancini, is up on Netflix. It was excellent.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I've been watching some of the soccer stories, and I'm pretty disappointed. The Brett Ratner one on the Rimet trophy was awful-- just terrible narration from Ed Norton over b-roll of Nazis goosestepping around and some auction footage. Hillsborough is probably the best of the lot, but I've only made it halfway through.

Also, I watched the Bad Boys and it was well done, but there was no way in hell that anyone could ever get me to sympathize with Bill Laimbeer and my favorite parts of that movie were any time something bad happened to Bill Laimbeer such as him losing games or getting punched in the face.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Also, I watched the Bad Boys and it was well done, but there was no way in hell that anyone could ever get me to sympathize with Bill Laimbeer and my favorite parts of that movie were any time something bad happened to Bill Laimbeer such as him losing games or getting punched in the face.
Also Kid Rock narrating :wtc:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Kid rock sucked so bad. Get eminem or basically anyone. But I really like Bill Laimbeer and I'm glad he got to punk Bird.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

R.D. Mangles posted:

I've been watching some of the soccer stories, and I'm pretty disappointed. The Brett Ratner one on the Rimet trophy was awful-- just terrible narration from Ed Norton over b-roll of Nazis goosestepping around and some auction footage. Hillsborough is probably the best of the lot, but I've only made it halfway through.

Hillsborough and White, Blue And White have been the only two worth watching. The latter had one of those "while we were filming, _____ happened" things which often times really *make* a documentary. But sports & politics are my two biggest interests so the docs in that vein tend to stick with me more regardless of topic.

I watched "The Two Escobars" again last week and forgot how great it was, easy to do in the context of the other excellent films it was bookended by when it first aired. Probably still the best soccer-related doc in the whole series, Hillsborough an extremely close second.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought the trophy one was OK mainly because I'm a dumb American who didn't know any of the history of it.

Not 30 for 30 related but is "One Night in Turin" any good for a soccer documentary? Netflix keeps recommending it to me after watching the 30 for 30 soccer ones.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I thought the trophy one was OK mainly because I'm a dumb American who didn't know any of the history of it.

Not 30 for 30 related but is "One Night in Turin" any good for a soccer documentary? Netflix keeps recommending it to me after watching the 30 for 30 soccer ones.

The thing about the trophy 30 for 30 was that the actual information was interesting, but it was like an 8th grader who just learned how to use Final Cut slapped it together for a school project. I mean, for chrissakes the voice-overs were all just RECORDED PHONE CALLS. What in the hell.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Soccer Stories really suffered from being so short. There were definitely a few where it got to the end, and I was like, "that's it?" Just seemed like they never had enough time to put a complete story together. Hillsborough being the exception since it was a full-length documentary.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
I haven't seen anyone mention this one but if you haven't seen it, you have to check out the short they did on Richard Jewell. Probably the best of the short films they've done.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=judgingjewell

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I actually watched it, and it's fine if you like Gary Oldman feverishly narrating 1990 World Cup highlights, video of English people getting teargassed, game footage intercut with filmed soccer impersonators' knees, and Maximum Gazza.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

I actually watched it, and it's fine if you like Gary Oldman feverishly narrating 1990 World Cup highlights, video of English people getting teargassed, game footage intercut with filmed soccer impersonators' knees, and Maximum Gazza.

You had me at English people getting teargassed.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
Hillsborough is up for a Documentary Film Emmy, which I think would be the first for the series if it won.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Not a groundbreaking observation, but I'm rewatching Winning Time, and it's so goddamn good.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Gandalf21 posted:

Not a groundbreaking observation, but I'm rewatching Winning Time, and it's so goddamn good.

A couple of times in the last couple of years when I've had a super bad day, I'd throw that on Netflix and it always makes me feel better. I lived and breathed the Pacers in the early and mid 90's, so I really get that much more out of it. Cheryl sassing Reggie never gets old.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I kind of hate winning time because I hate Reggie miller. So lionizing him pisses me off.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

soggybagel posted:

I kind of hate winning time because I hate Reggie miller. So lionizing him pisses me off.

Then just laugh at how he has never beat his sister in anything on or off the court.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Slaying the Badger was really good if anyone was on the fence about watching it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The majority of the 30 for 30s on Netflix are getting pulled off tonight at Midnight, so watch them while you still can.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The majority of the 30 for 30s on Netflix are getting pulled off tonight at Midnight, so watch them while you still can.

God damnit. Just when I was getting ready to do a marathon for a project.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I just went through Sports Movies on Netflix, and they are still up there for me.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The next batch of 30 for 30 was announced. Sounds like some real good topics. I'm looking forward to all of them.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Niwrad posted:

The next batch of 30 for 30 was announced. Sounds like some real good topics. I'm looking forward to all of them.

Most notably:

ESPN posted:

“The U Part 2″ will debut after the Heisman Trophy presentation in December, making it the first 30 for 30 sequel. “The U,” a chronicle of the rise of the University of Miami football program in the 1980s, was one of the first 30 for 30 films, and subsequently became ESPN’s most-watched documentary film in history up to that point. In “The U Part 2,” director Billy Corben picks up where his original film left off, with Miami trying to recover from the devastation left by NCAA sanctions and scandals.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Can't loving wait for the Boz one

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Another Bay Area World Series earthquake special, just what the world needed.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

davecrazy posted:

Also another one where a New Yorker tells us how cool and special one of their teams was

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

African AIDS cum posted:

Also another one where a New Yorker tells us how cool and special one of their teams was

I demand more on how the Yankees healed New York after 9-11!!!

Also cannot wait for the Randy Moss one. However if they don't take a huge poo poo on Chris Berman and Joe Buck I'll be annoyed.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

It is pretty strange how over and over New York teams are made out to be these heroic underdogs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

davecrazy posted:

I've actually never seen any of these and am fascinated by the events surrounding that game. Given how good many of these 30 for 30s have been, I'm looking forward to it.

The rest I could take or leave. I'd like to see at least one more about racing, but with NASCAR leaving ESPN at the end of the year and ESPN only carrying a paltry amount of races (outside Indy), I'm not getting my hopes up.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Since it was barely reported on in the US I would love a 30 for 30 on the Lokomotiv plane crash. Both as an examination on the KHL but also on the lives that were lost.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

soggybagel posted:

Since it was barely reported on in the US I would love a 30 for 30 on the Lokomotiv plane crash. Both as an examination on the KHL but also on the lives that were lost.

There's a good Real Sports piece on this.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Boz one has good trainwreck potential, if nothing else.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

There's a good Real Sports piece on this.

Two actually. I think they did a follow-up piece on it right before or during the Sochi Olympics.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Benne posted:

The Boz one has good trainwreck potential, if nothing else.

He was actually good if not for injuries I hope the doc shows that he wasn't as big a bust as people claim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've actually never seen any of these and am fascinated by the events surrounding that game. Given how good many of these 30 for 30s have been, I'm looking forward to it.

The rest I could take or leave. I'd like to see at least one more about racing, but with NASCAR leaving ESPN at the end of the year and ESPN only carrying a paltry amount of races (outside Indy), I'm not getting my hopes up.

"Gonchi" is looking really good fwiw.

But it's more Indy/F1-oriented.

Agreed on all points. Alan Kulwicki is worthy of a documentary IMO. That's who's story should be told.

• Locked thread