Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

I think it's only a temporary measure due to the intervention of the High Court and the actual policy would be to send them back asap which already happened in one instance).

It's an injunction designed, effectively, to preserve the thing that the case is actually about. That is, while there's a question about whether or not the government can send them back to Sri Lanka, the High Court has acted to ensure that they can't do it.

As for what will happen after the High Court makes its final decision, who knows, we'll have to wait and see.

Today's hearing is really just about whether the injunction needs to be kept in place, and it seems Justice Crennan has decided that it does. The case itself will, it seems, be heard by the Full Bench some time soon. They'll probably come out of recess to deal with it, as otherwise there are no sitting dates scheduled until August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

King Faraday posted:

I see a lot of references to boats being stopped when they're just being stopped from arriving.

Are there any stats on how many boats attempted to arrive, or is that all swept under the rug by no comment on "on-water matters"?

But stopped from arriving is what matters. That's the whole point isn't it?

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Murodese posted:

While I appreciate that there are some people within the Liberal Party that aren't horrendous pieces of poo poo (socially), the chances of #returnbull approach 0. From the outside, the LNP look to be heading further to the right, not towards the center. You're a member, right? Is it actually any different from within the party? Or is this some BCR-esque "changing the party from within" poo poo that has no chance of ever eventuating?

Tony has no real numbers of his own - which is why he can't do anything about Diaz who is literally a nobody outside his conference. Inside there is a wider spread of opinion. Most members find all advertising and packaging of policy for media to be cringe worthy - even more so when they disagree with it. There are lots of people at the big end of town who are 'liberals' won't support Tony for multiple reasons.

But realistically given the Rudd-Gillard-Rudd caper, the only hope is an apocalyptic failure to pass the budget and 'resignation' of the PM. MT won't challenge unless Tony literally asks for it.

Hypation fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 8, 2014

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Ragingsheep posted:

From what I understand, the government can't send them back to Sri Lanka without a 72hr notice to the High Court

Is there anything stopping them from putting their 72 hours notice in now and shipping them off on Friday or does that go against the spirit of the ruling?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Serrath posted:

Is there anything stopping them from putting their 72 hours notice in now and shipping them off on Friday or does that go against the spirit of the ruling?

The 72 hours is presumably to give the court a chance to slap an injunction on future attempts before they happen.

Foundry Dancer
Apr 21, 2005

Hypation posted:

But stopped from arriving is what matters. That's the whole point isn't it?

If you take it at face value that the Coalition's policy goal is to prevent people from drowning at sea then, no, stopping boats from arriving is not what matters. The point is to stop people from even attempting the voyage in the first place, which clearly is not happening. So, no, the Coalition have comprehensively failed to "stop the boats". The only way to stop the boats is to stop the war and violence and repression that causes people to flee in the first place.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Yeah, the Coalition policy is a success from the "stop brown people from getting here" perspective but is pretty much a unilateral failure from the whole drowning-at-seas perspective. If boats are coming and being intercepted, they're still at risk. Plus, we're still adding people to detention centers that are already killing people.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Geoff Lemon dropping truth bombs http://heathenscripture.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/meet-australia-the-traitor-who-turns-you-in/

Would quote but am phoneposting.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
In yet more WTF Senate news, Ricky Muir wants to keep ARENA funding:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/08/ricky-muir-seeking-to-save-the-australian-renewable-energy-agency?CMP=soc_567

Grauniad Ausrtalia posted:

Motoring Enthusiast senator Ricky Muir has emerged as a surprise would-be saviour of the $2bn Australian Renewable Energy Agency (Arena), seeking to amend the carbon tax repeal bills to stop $435m in funding being stripped from the clean energy body and promising to try to stop its abolition.

Muir’s amendment is very similar to one already circulated by the Australian Greens, and seeks to stop immediate funding reductions for Arena, which the government is seeking to abolish with separate legislation to be voted on in September.

The move raises the possibility that the crossbench could frustrate the government’s intention to abolish Arena. Palmer United party senators have already promised to stop the government’s plan to abolish the Clean Energy Finance Corporation and the existing renewable energy target.

But the government is already seeking to effectively close Arena ahead of legislation passing, refusing to reappoint board members as their terms expire. The government wants to return $1.3bn in Arena funding to the budget, and then have the industry department oversee around $900m in funding deals that have already been struck.

Muir’s amendment would stop the immediate $435m funding cut announced by the Coalition last September, but a spokesman for the Victorian senator said it was the first step in an attempt to retain the body.

“Ricky wants to preserve Arena. He is in favour of renewable energy and he thinks it is doing great work,” the spokesman said.

Muir’s intervention comes as the Senate prepares to pass the package of bills repealing the carbon tax on Wednesday or Thursday, with the backing of the three Palmer United party senators and others on the new crossbench.

PUP’s Senate leader, Glenn Lazarus, introduced PUP’s only amendment to the main carbon tax repeal bills on Tuesday, reversing the onus of proof so that power retailers must show they have passed on cost savings to households.

As previously reported by Guardian Australia, PUP is also finalising amendments to legislate its dormant ETS, which it has announced will be part of the bill to repeal the climate change authority.

PUP has said its amendments will retain the CCA to advise governments on when a set of conditions are met to activate the Australian ETS. The negotiations are about exactly what actions will be required by trading partners the United States, the European Union, South Korea, Japan and China for the Australian ETS to be enacted.

At times PUP leader Clive Palmer has referred to the other countries having to have an ETS, but another proposal is that they would need to have an “effective” carbon price at a certain level, meaning they might be achieving significant greenhouse gas reductions through different policies.

The uncertainty about the amendment means the Climate Change Authority Repeal Bill will be considered separately to the rest of the carbon tax repeal legislation. It is unclear whether the government is considering the amendment.

Introducing the PUP’s power pricing amendments, Lazarus said the Australian ETS would occur “if the day comes when our American trading partners, the US, China, the EU, Japan and Korea set up an emissions trading scheme.”

Lazarus said the carbon tax repeal was “historic”.

It is understood the PUP senators and independent senator Nick Xenophon and DLP senator John Madigan are still considering how they will vote on the legislation to repeal Arena, but may back the Greens and Muir and refuse to allow its abolition.

Given that Arena may now not be abolished, the Greens leader, Senator Christine Milne, has written to the industry minister, Ian MacFarlane, complaining that he is pre-empting the parliament by refused to renew the contracts of Arena board members.

MacFarlane’s actions will mean that within a few weeks the secretary of the industry department is the only remaining board member of a multi-million-dollar authority.

“As you will be aware, Arena is a statutory authority, and the future of the institution is not subject to the government’s sole discretion. I therefore urge you to appoint board members until the will of the parliament is clear,” she wrote.

“Without appointing board members, the government would frustrate the intention of the act and place an undue workload on the secretary of the department,” she wrote.

Regarding Muir’s amendment, Milne said “the Greens welcome Ricky Muir’s support for the renewable energy agency and we hope that he will bring his Palmer United party colleagues along with him.”

Muir, a former timber worker, has entered a loose voting alliance with PUP, but his advisers have said the parties will not always vote together.

A spokeswoman for Macfarlane said “the government has outlined its plans to bring the management of Arena projects into the Department of Industry. While that process is undertaken the management of Arena contracts and investments is continuing under board oversight as transitional arrangements are made".

E: That Geoff Lemon piece is hurtfully true, Sigsmund, and I felt my throat closing up with helpless rage as I read it. What the hell is there to do, though, besides shout this stuff from the rooftops? We can say it and say it but it has to have a receptive audience and too many Australians just don't. Give. A poo poo. gently caress this unthinking country.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 8, 2014

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Foundry Dancer posted:

Yeah, I get that the price under an ETS is determined by the market (it seems like one of the places where a market-based approach can actually be beneficial). But just to be absolutely crystal clear on Palmer's stance, what he wants to do is abolish an ETS and replace it with...an ETS. I know our ideological overlords elected representatives keep calling it a carbon tax but...I find it hard to believe that he sincerely thinks the current ETS is not an ETS. I mean, we joke about how stupid politicians are, but really? If he wants to set the price at $0 then why doesn't he just vote to abolish the current ETS and be done with it? Why is he bothering with trying to replace it with another ETS at all?

Sorry to interrupt the asylum seeker discussion, but for some reason this is really niggling me.

It's all political. The Libs need to be able to say they repealed the carbon tax otherwise they're going to look bad. Palmer is playing both sides, he can bargain with the Libs so they get to say they axed the tax and can say he's progressive as he helped implement a (non-functioning) ETS. The fact that it would be an ETS anyway is moot, people reading the Herald Sun care about seeing that dead tax headline and that's it.

What will be interesting is the response when it does nothing to electricity prices anyway.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Counterpoint: ignorant skidmarks who know what the score really is. Economic migrants!

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Foundry Dancer posted:

If you take it at face value that the Coalition's policy goal is to prevent people from drowning at sea then, no, stopping boats from arriving is not what matters. The point is to stop people from even attempting the voyage in the first place, which clearly is not happening. So, no, the Coalition have comprehensively failed to "stop the boats". The only way to stop the boats is to stop the war and violence and repression that causes people to flee in the first place.

Of course that isn't the case though which is why they brag that 0 boats have arrived. For all we know x number turned around could have sunk and unless evidence arises we'd never hear about it from the government even if they had fist had knowledge.

At the heart it's a racial issue though, no one gives a poo poo about the Irish backpacker handing them a beer who's been paid under the table or has overstayed their visa.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Foundry Dancer posted:

This:

Murodese posted:

Yeah, the Coalition policy is a success from the "stop brown people from getting here" perspective but is pretty much a unilateral failure from the whole drowning-at-seas perspective. If boats are coming and being intercepted, they're still at risk. Plus, we're still adding people to detention centers that are already killing people.

Is what wins the votes...
...Unfortunately

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Amazing piece, thank you for sharing it.

This whole thing has me crushingly depressed and angry. I want to find every loving liberal voter and airdrop them into north Sri Lanka. I'm so angry it hurts.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Also we spend approximately x10 the cost per person to process offshore then community based processing.

Foundry Dancer
Apr 21, 2005

Nibbles141 posted:

It's all political. The Libs need to be able to say they repealed the carbon tax otherwise they're going to look bad. Palmer is playing both sides, he can bargain with the Libs so they get to say they axed the tax and can say he's progressive as he helped implement a (non-functioning) ETS. The fact that it would be an ETS anyway is moot, people reading the Herald Sun care about seeing that dead tax headline and that's it.

What will be interesting is the response when it does nothing to electricity prices anyway.

So it's all just politics. Sadly, it makes sense now.

I don't think it will be much of an issue when the repeal fails to do anything to electricity prices. The introduction of the carbon price did very little to electricity prices and the Coalition managed to turn that complete non-issue into a crisis. They'll spin the carbon price repeal into a win for the ordinary Australian. And the people reading the Herald Sun will believe it.

Foundry Dancer
Apr 21, 2005

Hypation posted:

This:

Is what wins the votes...
...Unfortunately

Oh I completely agree. Which is why it's so infuriating to see the Coalition bragging about stopping the boats:

duck monster posted:

PREPARE TO poo poo BLOOD

This is up on the libs facebook page RIGHT NOW.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Not really, they turned the carbon tax into an issue long before it was ever implemented. It was reasonably telling when literally nobody noticed when it was actually implemented.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

They continued to hammer the point though, and a significant amount of people out there believe electricity prices are due to it.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

And now for one of my favourite subjects:

The Tl;Dr of it is someone in MacCap created a fake family office saying it had money to invest and solicited offers and product disclosures from MacCap's competitors- which it can then use to adjust its own pricing and terms etc.
The bank allegedly knew and did a CBA.

Now the dudes what responsible could be looking at civil action or criminal charges. Not that anyone is really showing much interest in prosecuting. If it were not MacCap but a mom and pop type financial advisory business, you'd bet ASIC would look at taking their financial services license.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

From the last week or two, I don't really have a problem with them cutting ASIC's funding anymore because it's pretty clear that they're taking the loving piss anyway.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I guess the issue is that if the lovely ASIC was making companies think twice then what's going to happen when they are totally ineffective?

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
no but dont you all see, we need to stop the boatts because they mean that people are drowning at sea! we can't have people dying at sea

much more human to turn them over to genocide and murder at the hands of their government

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Soag posted:

no but dont you all see, we need to stop the boatts because they mean that people are drowning at sea! we can't have people dying at sea

much more human to turn them over to genocide and murder at the hands of their government

We just don't want people drowning in OUR seas. They can go drown in a leaky boat in the middle of the Mediterranean for all we care.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
better die with a length of barbed wire in your rectum and some ball bearings in your urethra than on a boat trying to make a better life for yourself and your children

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Pro-click as gently caress, this is a pro-clickers only zone

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

Pro-click as gently caress, this is a pro-clickers only zone

I was going to click but then I read this :smith:

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Hypation posted:

And now for one of my favourite subjects:

The Tl;Dr of it is someone in MacCap created a fake family office saying it had money to invest and solicited offers and product disclosures from MacCap's competitors- which it can then use to adjust its own pricing and terms etc.
The bank allegedly knew and did a CBA.

Now the dudes what responsible could be looking at civil action or criminal charges. Not that anyone is really showing much interest in prosecuting. If it were not MacCap but a mom and pop type financial advisory business, you'd bet ASIC would look at taking their financial services license.

Amazing. I love this sort of thing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Shut up about Scott Morrison for 5 seconds and marvel at this amazing website/video.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cronullariots/

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
shut up about people from cronulla and watch this thing about people from cronulla

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

Patriotic Australian letters were posted in Aquinas College at Menai and surrounding suburbs. Reference was made to the 'spineless attack on the Life Guards at North Cronulla Beach. All Australians are called upon to unite and strike down the young men of 'Middle Eastern' appearance.

I didn't know this happened, which is weird considering it's my old high school. Our english teacher all made us do a speech about the Cronulla riots which was a horrible day because I'm pretty sure at least 80% of the class were glad the riots happened, and a couple of kids talked like they had gone down and gotten involved. The Shire is poo poo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nah you're right lets go back to the pissing contest of who can be more depressed about our refugee policy that will never change without a massive societal shift like the ones encouraged in this documentary/call Scott Morrison a oval office without actually saying oval office because the last 5 pages of it didnt really emphasise it enough.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Can someone post that "gently caress off we're full concerned for your safety" comic again? Can't find it, and it seems appropriate right now.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
gently caress that article is a pro read.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Lawyer mate of mine has pointed out that there is precedent for (Italian?) courts considering "irregular arrivals" outside of the migration zone to still be covered by that refugee convention thing. Or something like that.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

xPanda posted:

Can someone post that "gently caress off we're full concerned for your safety" comic again? Can't find it, and it seems appropriate right now.

Bonus round:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

This avatar sure will destroy my credibility with the D&D posters :argh:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

King Faraday posted:

I see a lot of references to boats being stopped when they're just being stopped from arriving.

Are there any stats on how many boats attempted to arrive, or is that all swept under the rug by no comment on "on-water matters"?

If you measure the the amount of boats that *successfully* completed their mission on the period specified, turns out its also zero on the red side too.

And theres plenty of boats still trying it on since the libs got into power. Difference is theres a huge media gag on thats preventing it being reported properly.

That infographic borders on fraud, in the moral sense of the term.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 8, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Endman posted:

This avatar sure will destroy my credibility with the D&D posters :argh:

Jesus who the gently caress bought you that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
What the gently caress Endman who bought you that?

Reading the reports about whats going on with the Tamils possibly being returned to Sri Lanka today in my office had me actually crying today. Ive had a lovely week or so at work and just couldn't take it. And I don't know what had me feeling worse: that this is happening, or knowing that all the people I work with (and probably half my family too) wouldn't give a poo poo about it.

• Locked thread