Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

3 posted:

I'm wondering where Laserbeak fits into all this then, since his gimmick in DOTM was his ability to turn into basically anything (including a child-sized pink bumblebee???); it seems like whatever Transformers are made out of, there's the potential for limitless forms but most tend to limit themselves to 2 or 3 for whatever reason. There's actually an interesting divide in the films between the superficial and the practical in terms of alternate modes; the Autobots all turn into an assortment of expensive and flashy motor vehicles, while the Decepticons tend toward military vehicles or industrial vehicles (Megatron doesn't even turn into a recognizable thing, just a spiky gun with wings).

No, that's true.

Perhaps every Transformer, like you say, has limitless forms, but the Autobots in particular devote themselves largely to two forms because they rarely see more than two sides of a given issue. Meanwhile, the Decepticons, evolving from the threat that the Autobots present, largely ALSO only have two forms--and then there's "outside agents" like Laserbeak (if we are to believe Terry's analysis) who just form whatever. Possibly this is all bullshit. I don't know, who the gently caress knows.

Mostly it's just fascinating to me how the humans surpass (or at least equal) the cybertronian technology, and yet are still shackled by cybertronian ideals of the "two-form" robots that they see so preeminently in their world. The humans are supposed to have evolved past the transformers, and yet there they are, practicing Transformer politics/systems of identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

One thing I noticed in this film, was the way the Transformers act, talk and behave like they are in a comic book. In the first three films you don't really notice because the human elements are also very comic book like. In this story you have a serious story of Marky Mark and his daughter being introduced to a very pissed of Prime. However the difference in robot behaviour became very apparent when we meet the autobots for the first time who are hiding out. One of the humans (I think its the daughter) says 'what the hell is wrong with them?' That question wasn't posed because the autobots were pissed off or acting out of character, it was because they were being so cartoonish in a serious life threating situation.

In this film it really seemed like the Autobots were clinging so heavily to these cartoonish archetypes/stereotypes because they really had nothing else to define them- they started the film homeless on an alien world, directionless, leaderless, and friendless.

What surprised me the most about this one was the undercurrent of sadness and sincerity to the film. I really didn't expect that, after the pattern the last 3 followed and the marketing focused on giant dinosaur robots.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

3 posted:

I'm wondering where Laserbeak fits into all this then, since his gimmick in DOTM was his ability to turn into basically anything (including a child-sized pink bumblebee???); it seems like whatever Transformers are made out of, there's the potential for limitless forms but most tend to limit themselves to 2 or 3 for whatever reason. There's actually an interesting divide in the films between the superficial and the practical in terms of alternate modes; the Autobots all turn into an assortment of expensive and flashy motor vehicles, while the Decepticons tend toward military vehicles or industrial vehicles (Megatron doesn't even turn into a recognizable thing, just a spiky gun with wings).

Laserbeak turning into a small the tiny Bumblebee makes sense, he's about the same size, but I'm wondering how the gently caress that giant metal condor turns into a flat screen monitor. Also, Megatron turns into a dilapidated oil tanker truck in DOTM, before he was just a Cybertronian flying tank because gently caress that he's Megatron, no need to hide. It's not until DOTM when he's defeated and needs to hide. Soundwave in DOTM is a Mercedes, changing the whole Decepticons being industrial vehicles. And the Decpticin they hunt at the beginning of ROTF is an Audi. But what's better than to hide amongst your enemy if you want to go unnoticed?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Those creepy googly eyed bots from Lockdown's ship also show up in the second film when Megatron's body is recovered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RkzjpmKWjg

Beauyaka
Aug 16, 2005
!i!i!
I have a comp ticket for my local theater and I am considering seeing this. If anyone could let me know if the following deal-breakers are back in this installment, it would help me decide to go or not.

-Optimus Prime's Cold-Eyed Murderousness (this could be on a scale of 1 to 10, with Dark of the Moon at about a 7)

-Robots with human afflictions (limps and canes, balls)

-Sam Whitwhicky's parents

-Secret-robot-conspiracy reveal in the 2nd act

I think if 3 of the 4 are absent I can enjoy watching explosions.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Beauyaka posted:

I have a comp ticket for my local theater and I am considering seeing this. If anyone could let me know if the following deal-breakers are back in this installment, it would help me decide to go or not.

-Optimus Prime's Cold-Eyed Murderousness (this could be on a scale of 1 to 10, with Dark of the Moon at about a 7)

-Robots with human afflictions (limps and canes, balls)

-Sam Whitwhicky's parents

-Secret-robot-conspiracy reveal in the 2nd act

I think if 3 of the 4 are absent I can enjoy watching explosions.

4 - two with facial hair, one with a scar, one with a walking stick and neck brace

yes, two even

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This movie was terrible. That said, I thought Michael Bay showed remarkable strength to not oversexualize Nicola Peltz's 17-year-old character.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Captain Magic posted:

- I know everyone's busy comparing Tucci's character to Steve Jobs and evil Nazi doctors (and rightfully so), but I also got a very distinct vibe from him coming from two lines:

"WHY can't it be the way I want it? WHY WHY WHY?"

"Do you know what a flaw is? A flaw is a FAILURE."

For those who don't know, there is something in the Transformers toy community called third-party developers, in which the miracle of 3D printing (and probably lots of other cool manufacturing techniques) has allowed people completely unrelated to Hasbro create completely expensive, completely amazing replicas of Transformers with a lot of meticulous craftsmanship and sometimes creating completely wonky poo poo.

There are literally three different versions of the combiner Predaking that are (mostly) available. And WHY do these things get made, again and again? Because to the fan community, flaws are failures. Because WHY can't it be the way we want it? WHY WHY WHY WHY?

I took this as a direct jab at the Transformers fan community criticizing everything about Bay's movieverse, dating back to "flames on Optimus?!" in 2007

Beauyaka
Aug 16, 2005
!i!i!

Milky Moor posted:

4 - two with facial hair, one with a scar, one with a walking stick and neck brace

yes, two even

Well, crap.

Thanks!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Maarak posted:

Those creepy googly eyed bots from Lockdown's ship also show up in the second film when Megatron's body is recovered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RkzjpmKWjg

Not the same bot, the one in ROTF is Scalpel.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Wasn't there a shot in the trailer where there were a bunch of alien spacecraft heading for earth? Was it just me or did I miss something somewhere or miss remembering? Like was that one of the prehistoric times shots?

I wonder if Unicron is like a gestalt of all them life giving/taking ships spraying his seed everywhere on planets. Or if its an element of Primus or Vector Sigma or some crap they wanna pull if they want.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Gatts posted:

Wasn't there a shot in the trailer where there were a bunch of alien spacecraft heading for earth? Was it just me or did I miss something somewhere or miss remembering? Like was that one of the prehistoric times shots?

It was the very first scene in the movie if memory serves

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I find it amusing that in the first it was more seemingly traditional with the Auto bots on the run as heroes but in the second as SMG pointed out Prime becomes a murder machine and is called tyrant. I was really hoping we found out Sam corrupted him but after an awesome ride thanks to SMG and Terry's analysis I'm hoping the last one is actually a majority philosophical character study of Prime amongst his creators ending in faces ripped off.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Josh Lyman posted:

This movie was terrible. That said, I thought Michael Bay showed remarkable strength to not oversexualize Nicola Peltz's 17-year-old character.

Did we see the same movie? Or are you talking purely visual stuff, because there was a bunch of dialog about it?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

IMO the film sets her up as the 'eyecandy' character then immediately chastises anyone who sexualises her

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Gatts posted:

I find it amusing that in the first it was more seemingly traditional with the Auto bots on the run as heroes but in the second as SMG pointed out Prime becomes a murder machine and is called tyrant. I was really hoping we found out Sam corrupted him but after an awesome ride thanks to SMG and Terry's analysis I'm hoping the last one is actually a majority philosophical character study of Prime amongst his creators ending in faces ripped off.

Well, you know Optimus Prime will kill his creators once he finds them, because that's how he rolls. I think the perfect conclusion to his arc would be for Hot Rod to show up at the end and usurp Optimus. Then you set up Rodimus Prime as the first decent leader of the Autobots, and the subversion is complete.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Donnerberg posted:

Well, you know Optimus Prime will kill his creators once he finds them, because that's how he rolls. I think the perfect conclusion to his arc would be for Hot Rod to show up at the end and usurp Optimus. Then you set up Rodimus Prime as the first decent leader of the Autobots, and the subversion is complete.

This would be amazing with how it would cause the nerd rage to hit critical mass. It would make the people upset over the '84 movie that still post about it die of a stroke or something.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

This would be amazing with how it would cause the nerd rage to hit critical mass. It would make the people upset over the '84 movie that still post about it die of a stroke or something.

I too would like that arc. Introduce Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus in the next movie. Have them the same in the cartoon as the the Bayverse. Show how both are concerned with Optimus's growing insanity and bloodlust but are too driven by loyalty and rose coloured to do anything until Prime does something heinous, like commit genocide.

The last film in the trilogy has Prime, Hot Rod and Ultra Magus recalled back to Earth to stop Galvatron. Prime is now completely gone and goes all out in a apocalyptic devastation that annihilates the Decepticon forces and a good section of the human population. Prime sees nothing wrong with this and takes on a new mantle, Unicron, destroyer of worlds.

Hot Rod and Magnus finally have enough and rebel against Prime. Prime kills Magnus and in an epic battle Hot Rod kills Prime and ends his tyranny.

Hot Rod takes on the mantle of Rodimus Prime and leads the Autobots to a new, brighter future.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Did anyone else notice that there seemed to be a lot of "missing scenes": Cade actually helping fix Optimus, Tessa doing something important abroad Lockdown's ship and Joshua Joyce explaining he thought he was only receiving Decepticon corpses. Just scenes that the characters seem to act like had happened but didn't.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

Did we see the same movie? Or are you talking purely visual stuff, because there was a bunch of dialog about it?
The Romeo and Juliet thing, aside from being stupid, didn't oversexualize her IMO.

I'm talking about visual stuff like the car engine scene with Megan Fox in Transformers 1, her motorcycle scene in 2, and the introduction of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in 3.

Unless I missed something, and it's quite possible I did, there were any shots that said, "Hey, check out Nicola Peltz. Isn't she hot?"

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Monocled Falcon posted:

Did anyone else notice that there seemed to be a lot of "missing scenes": Cade actually helping fix Optimus, Tessa doing something important abroad Lockdown's ship and Joshua Joyce explaining he thought he was only receiving Decepticon corpses. Just scenes that the characters seem to act like had happened but didn't.

We see Cade begin to fix Optimus and then cut to a few hours later after the job is done. We don't have to see every step of the process to understand that it happened. Tessa witnesses the exchange of the Seed on the ship, and otherwise just tries to stay alive. No one really acts like she did more? Not sure why you think Joshua thought he was only receiving Decepticons, he makes it clear he only considers it dead metal and what it used to be doesn't matter to him.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
This is probably the best Transformers movie that I've seen.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

All Cade had to do to fix Optimus was pull the missile out of his spark core or whatever, which we see him do. Kind of like a stake through the heart, it put Optimus into robot torpor. I think Transformers are called 'self-regenerating' in the first film.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

We see Cade begin to fix Optimus and then cut to a few hours later after the job is done. We don't have to see every step of the process to understand that it happened. Tessa witnesses the exchange of the Seed on the ship, and otherwise just tries to stay alive. No one really acts like she did more? Not sure why you think Joshua thought he was only receiving Decepticons, he makes it clear he only considers it dead metal and what it used to be doesn't matter to him.

Ouch, that post was just not my intellectually impressive moment.

Walking out, I was just really surprised that Tessa never did anything as heroic as Carly in Dark of the Moon. Then I just lumped in that problem with a few other minor plot holes, like how joshua never say anything like to justify him becoming a "good guy"

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
My suspicion is that Joshua became a good guy, much like Turturro's character, once he stopped making his life revolve around fetishizing the Transformers and realized he was in a Transformers movie.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Captain Magic posted:

My suspicion is that Joshua became a good guy, much like Turturro's character, once he stopped making his life revolve around fetishizing the Transformers and realized he was in a Transformers movie.

That's definitely how it seems with all his manic laughing in the elevator scene.

haakman
May 5, 2011
The product placement in this film is so blatant it took me out of the film every time it popped up.

I was 'war-weary' by the end of this film. I came out not wanting to go to the cinema for a while. Just absolute over-saturation.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I feel like being "taken out of" these films is the only way to appreciate them.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Lord Krangdar posted:

I feel like being "taken out of" these films is the only way to appreciate them.

When Stanley Tucci starts drinking the product placement milk the film cuts away, and doesn't return to him until he finishes. The product placement literally takes him out of the movie.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Apparently the trick is to never be immersed in what's happening on screen, as your mind has to be constantly analysing the intricate details of Transformers: Age of Extinction, or you'll miss the subtle genius of "blob turns into gun, bigger blob turns into bigger gun".

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Milky Moor posted:

That's definitely how it seems with all his manic laughing in the elevator scene.

What was the text messaging bit that set him off? I missed it because the some jackass's car alarm went off at the drive-in I went to see this at and his lights strobing hosed seeing what was on screen for about five minutes.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

What was the text messaging bit that set him off? I missed it because the some jackass's car alarm went off at the drive-in I went to see this at and his lights strobing hosed seeing what was on screen for about five minutes.

He asks the tech guy what the explosive radius of the Seed will be. He gets a text message from the neckbeard tech guy that reads: LIKE A TACTICAL NUKE LOL with a bunch of explosion emoticons after it.

And then he just starts laughing and trying to explain it all to the guy in the elevator with him.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

haakman posted:

I was 'war-weary' by the end of this film.

I can't wait to see this!

haakman
May 5, 2011
Yup. For some reason I am now wearing Victoria Secret Panties (tm) whilst eyeing up the new Chevy Camaro (tm) in my drive, swilling some famous brand of mouthwash (tm) with a Bud Light (tm) in one hand and some loving weird chinese milk carton (tm) in the other - all the while listening to my amazing Beats by Dre (tm) stereo playing the latest song by Imagine Dragons, my body shaking half due to the music and half due to the crazy shakes a can of Red Bull (tm) gave me.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

haakman posted:

Yup. For some reason I am now wearing Victoria Secret Panties (tm) whilst eyeing up the new Chevy Camaro (tm) in my drive, swilling some famous brand of mouthwash (tm) with a Bud Light (tm) in one hand and some loving weird chinese milk carton (tm) in the other - all the while listening to my amazing Beats by Dre (tm) stereo playing the latest song by Imagine Dragons, my body shaking half due to the music and half due to the crazy shakes a can of Red Bull (tm) gave me.

Gotta say that I was completely taken out of the post for all the blatant product pushing, you corporate sell out you. Is this the way the internet will die? Drowned in ads until we it seems we are just paying for the privilege of paying for commercials?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Gotta say that I was completely taken out of the post for all the blatant product pushing, you corporate sell out you. Is this the way the internet will die? Drowned in ads until we it seems we are just paying for the privilege of paying for commercials?

Funnee poste.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Kempo posted:

Apparently the trick is to never be immersed in what's happening on screen, as your mind has to be constantly analysing the intricate details of Transformers: Age of Extinction, or you'll miss the subtle genius of "blob turns into gun, bigger blob turns into bigger gun".

Pretty much, yeah.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

haakman posted:

The use of (tm)s takes me out of your narrative, but on reflection it aids in reminding me that you are making a point about product placement.

Did you write Transformers?!

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
All this product placement talk, it must be said, is starting to give me a headache. Which is why I always use Anadin Extra Plus for fast relief when its really needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

All this product placement talk, it must be said, is starting to give me a headache. Which is why I always use Anadin Extra Plus for fast relief when its really needed.

This only work when the forums get desperate enough for money and add text-link ads on posts.