Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

tef posted:

system design seems to be making poo poo that blows up and learning from it, and i haven't found a good book on it yet

i have found this to be the case as well. personally i think it would be great to get a goog/fb/twitter/amazon collab about some of the more publicly-known backend systems and their high-level designs, but that will probably never happen because ~secrets~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

FamDav posted:

sned the list

A bunch of them I tried to make a short version of on a tumblr blog I have almost entirely abandoned:

Cool talks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGLYEDpNu60
Handling margins of error, economical pressures, etc. to keep things up and running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKqgGpAOv1w
Tactics and strategy for productionizing distributed systems

Uncool videos:

I've given this talk a few times about planning for overload. I hate watching myself on video so I have no idea if the audio is good or not. I should turn it into a blog post at some point, but I otherwise have internal drafts about it for a manual at work.

That's what I can think of for now anyway. A lot of it has to do with distributed systems because that's what I like.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

Uncool videos:

I've given this talk a few times about planning for overload. I hate watching myself on video so I have no idea if the audio is good or not. I should turn it into a blog post at some point, but I otherwise have internal drafts about it for a manual at work.

That's what I can think of for now anyway. A lot of it has to do with distributed systems because that's what I like.

youre so quebecois it hurts

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

not like I can do much about it. As much as I try, I can't drop the accent.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

you look fine

except for that big dumbass head and haircut and that nose and one ear is twice as big as the other wow kill yourself!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

AWWNAW posted:

you look fine

:wink:
:wmwink:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
did you miss this one out ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S0k12uZR14

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

That one is great too yeah.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

see, if you were on a cray, this is an instruction :3:

also recent x86 so its probably an intrinsic on every major compiler (embedded devs continue to eat poo poo ofc)

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

also recent x86 so its probably an intrinsic on every major compiler (embedded devs continue to eat poo poo ofc)

__builtin_popcount in gcc/clang, who cares about everything else

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i've been writing a ton of perl again lately.

it's not unpleasant.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fidel sarcastro posted:

i've been writing a ton of perl again lately.

it's not unpleasant.

perl gets a bad rap for no particular reason

python and ruby are just as bad in every way. all three languages share major deficits, but two of them have rabid teenage defenders

when poo poo is stupidly broken in ruby and python people overlook it. when it is exactly as broken in perl it's The Reason Perl 5 Is Dead 2014 Edition

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

tef, no offense but it looks to me that you are sabotaging yourself :(

just tell them what they want to hear man

self-sabotage is terrifying and dangerous on the job. it's often valuable to tell your boss what he wants to hear, even if it harms the firm

in an interview, avoiding telling them what they want to hear is a self-defense mechanism. it's really important and worthwhile to avoid hiring onto firms where you won't fit in or can't contribute

(if you are an entry level developer ignore this advice completely. gently caress it. jam your toe in that door, it doesn't matter if the first year sucks)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

python and ruby are just as bad in every way. all three languages share major deficits, but two of them have rabid teenage defenders

when poo poo is stupidly broken in ruby and python people overlook it. when it is exactly as broken in perl it's The Reason Perl 5 Is Dead 2014 Edition

i haven't done serious perl since literally 2003 but i remember that things like objects were in the category of "don't", but for sed/awk stuff it's still the way to go, i had a data munging thing last month and one of the critical steps was a perl oneliner that would have been a loving nuisance in anything else

still right tool for the right job, just the job has shrunk a little

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

fritz posted:

i haven't done serious perl since literally 2003 but i remember that things like objects were in the category of "don't"

i think (hope?) that moose fixed this specific problem, but i would definitely not want to write raw OO perl.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
perl's raw OO gives you encapsulation, type labels, and message passing. And that's it. They didn't provide a type system or anything out of the box.

Perl OO is a set of tools to build a useful OO system. Which is not what anyone really wanted

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
it's a copy of python old-style classes done in 1993 and fossilized due to the perl 6 fiasco. moose, of course, is different because they copied CLOS instead

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they're all equally broken perl is also just unreadable

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

yeah the modern perl stuff looked a lot better than I remember things being but im way too old a dog to switch back and I need python numerical stuff

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wrong, it gets a bad rap because of the "more than one way" slogan and everyone who has ever been attracted by it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's like someone looked at the endless ink spilled over spaces and tabs and thought "why should whitespace have all the fun"

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
perl gets a bad rap because kids these days did not have to use tok | grep | sort | uniq | sed to do poo poo :corsair:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
how do you loop over a file line by line in perl?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
perl gets a bad rap because it's loving garbage

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how do you loop over a file line by line in perl?
"how" is such an oppressive word

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
perl is useful. sure, it's not suitable for building large systems, but that goes for every scripting language. the others just hide it better.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
perl gets a bad rap for its incessant asinine basic design decisions which give a horrible first impression to anybody starting to pick up the language

i don't know ruby but python's badness is at least hidden behind a thick wall of genuinely cool things

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Instead of writing full on web MVC and stored procs for a bunch of admin tools nobody other than me is ever going to use, I write some 500 line Perl scripts.

WorksForMe(TM).

Postgres support under Python is and continues to be a trainwreck. And I don't know Ruby so I don't see any reason to learn it on account of a few lovely admin scripts.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

that's from 2009 is it really the same now

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Mr Dog posted:

Instead of writing full on web MVC and stored procs for a bunch of admin tools nobody other than me is ever going to use, I write some 500 line Perl scripts.

WorksForMe(TM).

Postgres support under Python is and continues to be a trainwreck. And I don't know Ruby so I don't see any reason to learn it on account of a few lovely admin scripts.

i don't see why any of that would matter for a quick admin script

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
one quick admin script turns into 100 janky pieces of poo poo that only 1 person understands which is why you'd be way better off doing it in ruby on rails

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

After growing up on sql server and the libraries around that in .net I don't know how anyone actually writes a real app on anything else.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

one quick admin script turns into 100 janky pieces of poo poo that only 1 person understands which is why you'd be way better off doing it in ruby on rails

not if you're the 1 person that understands

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

i fail to see how doing it in ruby on rails makes it less of a janky piece of poo poo

ask the kingdom of loathing goons about the bot i wrote for them in ror

i wonder if they've rewritten it yet

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

one quick admin script turns into 100 janky pieces of poo poo that only 1 person understands
this is the story of amazon's codebase

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dessert Rose posted:

i fail to see how doing it in ruby on rails makes it less of a janky piece of poo poo
well given that ruby doesn't have the "more than one way" philosophy behind it you have a better chance of coming into existing code and beginning to understand it without fighting the last guy's unique snowflake conventions

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

no ruby and rails has a "half a dozen half baked libraries" philosophy

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Gazpacho posted:

well given that ruby doesn't have the "more than one way" philosophy behind it you have a better chance of coming into existing code and beginning to understand it without fighting the last guy's unique snowflake conventions

do u know what RoR does to ruby internals

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Gazpacho posted:

ruby sure as h*ck does have this philosophy, and it also has a culture where all the worst language features are celebrated. it's mid-90s perl and early 2000s php and mid 2000s python all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
so then its current perl, current php, and current python