Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Soul Glo posted:

Pretty good first floor as Cain. :shepface:

When this game really wants you to win, you win hard. Sounds like a really fun run!

Maide fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Maide posted:

When this game really wants you to win, you win hard. Sounds like a really fun run!

I actually nearly lost it until Bum Friend gifted me my second Full Health (or maybe 2 of Hearts) in the room before the boss. I've logged 58 hours into the game and still only win about 1 in 3-4 attempts.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Have you actually beaten the game, or have you beaten the game?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

TheModernAmerican posted:

Have you actually beaten the game, or have you beaten the game?

Both. :colbert:

I'm getting close to unlocking everything. 1 or 2 actual challenges left, the Eve and Samson achievements and beating the levels without taking damage.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
While the forums were down another item's been revealed!

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/89727751714/isaac-the-gathering

It's pretty much just Mom's Pad, except as a tear effect akin to Common Cold rather than an activated item effecting everyone in the room.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Is that the first time we're seeing those fat babies?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bloody Pom posted:

And then you realize there will be no co-op for Vita, because Ed is hellbent on making it local-only.

I do not mind whatsoever. I have no friends :smith:

I am legit more excited for this game than any other. Spidermod is amazing though. Playing the game with a controller is excellent. I just wish I had the DS4 and not the 360 controller. I've gotten too used to symmetrical thumbsticks like my vita.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
http://bindingofisaac.com/post/90431619124/insert-size-matters-joke-here

'Nother post, looks impressive with the big rooms and such. The most tantalizing part of the post, sadly, was the bit that he explicitly said he wouldn't spoil before the game's released.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

looks like theres a new spike type hidden in the level editor pic.

Maybe it'll be one of those kind that go in and out.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I actually really like the idea of items that are technically inaccessible like when the room with the Black Heart spawns with unbreakable blocks. It probably means that flying will become more OP but it also sets the precedent for interesting rooms where one build works out better than another.

I'm a bit worried that some rooms will give us even less mobility with enemies like Vees which was already a problem in the game. I'll cross my fingers that those types of damage-check rooms won't be such a big thing.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Ed posted:

1st off the base game + wrath of the lamb boasted 198 items, currently rebirth features well over 450 items

No way... the amount of possible combinations must be insane

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
200 of the items are just my reflection, bum friend, and dead cat repeated over and over again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
still ridiculously excited for this game. my vita is going to melt

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Does the end of that post mean... save states? So that you can pick up a game that you don't have time to finish later?

As a rule I tend not to get hyped for games pre-release but color me hyped so long as Rebirth is just BoI + new art style + lots and lots more stuff.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Does the end of that post mean... save states? So that you can pick up a game that you don't have time to finish later?

Maybe it'll have a save & quit option.

In other news, I got Portable Slot + IV Bag on the same floor yesterday. Running the boss room out of boss items was fun.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Since the first file's icon is a broken heart I think these are saves for all the game's data rather than for sessions, so that in that case the first file's gone at least as far as to beat Mom's Heart and the other two haven't been started/haven't beaten Mom yet.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

As a rule I tend not to get hyped for games pre-release but color me hyped so long as Rebirth is just BoI + new art style + lots and lots more stuff.

Pretty sure it's been confirmed that there will be a way to create a temporary save in the middle of a run.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I can't believe that there's seriously going to be 450 items, especially if you consider all the possible combinations.
Is that even possible? Is McMillen flying too close to the sun here?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 1, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well I'm assuming that a good chunk of those items is just stuff like stat boosts or active use items, so it's not like it'll be 450 items that all have to interact with each other in unique ways. I mean, it's still a ton of items and I'm super excited, but I don't think the game is going to become unspeakably complicated or anything.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I feel like that makes it almost impossible to have challenges to collect multiple items like the meat cube or the guppy stuff.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
According to an interview the way the way items are coded in rebirth is less like the original where each was their own entity and instead they function as proprieties. This means that adding a new item is a lot simpler since they don't need to code in every possible combination for it to function.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
The three things I hope for in Rebirth is that regular item rooms act like other rooms and remove the item from the pool once you've seen it, instead of having to pick it up. Nothing more annoying than skipping Little Chad in an item room then fighting Chad in the boss room and getting it again.

I also wish the bosses that drop fixed items have a variety instead of just the set one, something like Steve and Little Steve.

Also finally I hope to god they remove a few room types, a few that come to mind are the room in the basement with the headless gushers that shoot you upon entering that hits you with no chance of escape, the suicide bombers that start next to a fire immediately exploding. The narrow rooms with chubs that charge immediately and the chest firing chubbers are really difficult too unless you have flying or a high DPS. The room with the red poops in the entrance is also really annoying and a chore to backtrack through. Also the room with the exploding boil things that has two surrounded by rocks in the middle can sometimes make the game unwinnable if you're not paying attention.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

VDay posted:

Well I'm assuming that a good chunk of those items is just stuff like stat boosts or active use items, so it's not like it'll be 450 items that all have to interact with each other in unique ways. I mean, it's still a ton of items and I'm super excited, but I don't think the game is going to become unspeakably complicated or anything.

How many items are there currently with BOI + WOL?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Megasabin posted:

How many items are there currently with BOI + WOL?

I think there's slightly under 200, not including cards, pills, and trinkets.

e: Yeah, Ed's quote is just above. 198.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I just hope the code is inexplicably bizarre so ColorPrinter has something to obsess about and to use to blow our collective minds some more.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

So I have 72 out of 84 achievements when I look at the game page in Steam, but when I look at the actual list I only see six that I haven't unlocked. I guess some are missing? I know there's still one for beating Shoel with ??? that I haven't gotten yet but isn't in my list of ones to unlock. What gives?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There are secret ones.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

There are also some that are attributed to the wrong heroes.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
So I had 82/84 Achievements and Golden god is one of those for like forever, decided to pick it back up to get plat.. yet from comparing my achievement list to one I found online I've some how never completed Sheol with ??? as the forget-me-now is the only one I dont have...

Or do you only get the achievement upon use??

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

NuminaXLT posted:

So I had 82/84 Achievements and Golden god is one of those for like forever, decided to pick it back up to get plat.. yet from comparing my achievement list to one I found online I've some how never completed Sheol with ??? as the forget-me-now is the only one I dont have...

Or do you only get the achievement upon use??

I think you get it when you pick it up

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I think you get it when you pick it up

Yep.

If you go through your unlocked secrets in game you can see if it's unlocked.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/91126150254/genesis

new blog update, just a new music track.

Damascus404
Oct 13, 2013

You say "just",I say :swoon:

Genesis 22:10 in the video refers to Abraham just moments before killing Isaac

Genesis 22:10 posted:

Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Watch the video. Main menu teaser, for what it's worth, but it shows a few challenge names.

Pitch Black
High Brow
Head Trauma
When Life Gives You Lemons
Beans!
It's In The Cards
Slow Roll
Computer Savvy
Wakka Wakka
The Host

Out of 20+ on the list.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Damascus404 posted:

Genesis 22:10 in the video refers to Abraham just moments before killing Isaac

Perhaps one of the new final bosses?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Perhaps one of the new final bosses?

Abraham would basically be 'Dad', right?

The little we've seen of him (the final ending and the Dad's key item), he seemed like a decent person, at least compared to Mom. But other than that, he's just... gone. Maybe he left them.

...Just trying to see how this would fit into the story.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Ed said on his blog that Dad wouldn't make an appearance for background story reasons.

My impression is that he left the family after 'it' happened.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

a!n posted:

Ed said on his blog that Dad wouldn't make an appearance for background story reasons.

My impression is that he left the family after 'it' happened.

What "it"?

Also, why still be vague after using spoiler tags?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I assume he means the stillbirth of Isaac's sister or whatever, but every time I see someone talk about this game's plot they come up with a different thing that happened so I could just be totally wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Mom is Abraham. The opening cutscene makes this abundantly clear. There's no room for Dad.

• Locked thread