Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

duck monster posted:

If you measure the the amount of boats that *successfully* completed their mission on the period specified, turns out its also zero on the red side too.

And theres plenty of boats still trying it on since the libs got into power. Difference is theres a huge media gag on thats preventing it being reported properly.

To think this is eliminating people smuggling as a business model is ludicrous too. If boats are still setting out, it means they will still be exploiting customers, as criminal organisation usually don't work based on the honesty system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Gough Suppressant posted:

Jesus who the gently caress bought you that

:iiam:

Someone who really gets off on the idea of people being tortured and killed by the Sri Lankan government I guess.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Endman posted:

:iiam:

Someone who really gets off on the idea of people being tortured and killed by the Sri Lankan government I guess.

So Negligent then.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
It'll be somebody who posts in an unnamed offsite forum but apparently doesn't have the courage to defend their position in the thread. So, probably not Negligent.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Murodese posted:

It'll be somebody who posts in an unnamed offsite forum but apparently doesn't have the courage to defend their position in the thread. So, probably not Negligent.

Exactly - Negligent doesn't even have a position.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We have officially hit rock bottom, Raptorfag please do the needful.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Sisgmund posted:

Exactly - Negligent doesn't even have a position.

I don't think it's fair to say that he doesn't have a position, he has many, many positions that constantly shift around to avoid being directly confronted.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The funniest part is that I haven't even really been that vocal on this issue (or in the thread in general). I guess it was just my turn. :shrug:

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
poo poo like this makes me question what the gently caress is even the point. I'm trying to take myself down a career path where I can work full time on humanitarian projects, on making a difference, but at the end of the day I am a culpable citizen of a nation that behaves like this towards other human beings. It feels like nothing I could ever do will make up for that fact.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
all Tamils are tigers?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Kim Jong ill posted:

poo poo like this makes me question what the gently caress is even the point. I'm trying to take myself down a career path where I can work full time on humanitarian projects, on making a difference, but at the end of the day I am a culpable citizen of a nation that behaves like this towards other human beings. It feels like nothing I could ever do will make up for that fact.

Yeah, sometimes it can feel like evil isn't a puzzle to be solved, but rather a gigantic, inertial force. Trying to make things better feels like jumping to halt the orbit of the Earth.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kim Jong ill posted:

Any personal effort you make counts for far more than the small amount of your tax money that goes into your nation's acts of evil, don't feel bad for things you cannot help and just do what acts of good you can. In the end these acts of evil weigh far more heavily on those who made the decision to commit them than they do on any single tax payer.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

all Tamils are tigers?

All brown people are terrorists didn't you get the memo

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Just remember that you can't actually solve all of the problems on Earth, and as long as you do what you can and try not to make anything worse you shouldn't let yourself get too depressed. It's bad for you and doesn't actually achieve anything.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Murodese posted:

I don't think it's fair to say that he doesn't have a position, he has many, many positions that constantly shift around to avoid being directly confronted.

If you troll without rhythm then you won't attract the perm

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Sisgmund posted:

loving extraordinary, five.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Sisgmund posted:

:golfclap:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sisgmund posted:

getting on board the :golfclap: bandwagon

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sisgmund posted:

:wow:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Any personal effort you make counts for far more than the small amount of your tax money that goes into your nation's acts of evil, don't feel bad for things you cannot help and just do what acts of good you can. In the end these acts of evil weigh far more heavily on those who made the decision to commit them than they do on any single tax payer.

Technically speaking, if those tax receipts are legit, the government has made offsetting their horrible bullshit a lot easier. Count up how much of your money they spend on travesties of justice, and try to counter it.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Sisgmund posted:

Take a look around son, because you're standing in the hall of fame.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Kim Jong ill posted:

Do what I do

Work in a humanitarian organisation in another country and use every opportunity you can to tell people how evil we are

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Cleretic posted:

Technically speaking, if those tax receipts are legit, the government has made offsetting their horrible bullshit a lot easier. Count up how much of your money they spend on travesties of justice, and try to counter it.

100% of your tax went to: stopping Labor's wasteful boats.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Sisgmund posted:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Laserface posted:

Nah you're right lets go back to the pissing contest of who can be more depressed about our refugee policy that will never change without a massive societal shift like the ones encouraged in this documentary/call Scott Morrison a oval office without actually saying oval office because the last 5 pages of it didnt really emphasise it enough.

You're absolutely right, but first statistics!

More looking around on the department of immigration website leads to their various reports and publications.

The last two are good reads; the asylum trends document helps break down the details of asylum seekers into groups like age, sex, were they the principal asylum applicant or a dependant as well as presenting the information in a couple of formats. Section 1 is 'Normal' (legal, paid visa) asylum seekers, Section 2 is IMAs (Illegal Maritime Arrivals). The other document 'Immigration Detention and Community Statistics Summary' has an interesting line graph on page 5 showing total population in detention - it climbs very rapidly from 2010 onwards. On a hunch I googled Iran 2011, it was easy to see that a lot was going down in that part of the world.

The piece of information that stood out to me from reading was how people were able to apply for permanent protection visas (PPVs) which allow them permanent residency in Australia as well as access to legal work and Medicare. The Minister for Immigration has placed a cap on the number of these that can be granted per 'programme year' as covered in this section on 'disallowance' of PPVs. You can also see the wide variety of visa types available at the dept. of immigration website; of note are the XB class visas (this is one of them, the other types can be viewed from the fees page under Other>Protection Visa Applications) which, if I have interpreted the information correctly, allow people (including current asylum seekers) to propose others for permanent residency as asylum seekers.

According to the page (Click on 'Community Pilot' at the 'Refugee visa (subclass 200)' page) there are only 500 of these places allowed to be granted per programme year, unless referred by UNHCR. The process for application is otherwise through AMES (Victoria), Brotherhood of St Laurence (Victoria), Illawarra Multicultural Services (New South Wales), Liverpool Migrant Resource Centre (New South Wales). So it seems other states are without options.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 8, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Endman posted:

The funniest part is that I haven't even really been that vocal on this issue (or in the thread in general). I guess it was just my turn. :shrug:

Hooman got one too. Vile misandrists are targeting the men of auspol.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Unlawful three year old Tamil asylum seekers threaten to undermine the very Western way of life through their life-threatening ocean crossing voyage to a prison camp.

e: something I don't get about the mystery title giver is why they're so willing to quote things like Nazi propaganda and obviously anti-Semitic statements from racist, long dead politicians while also keeping a veil of anonymity. It's like they want to wear their heart on their sleeve, but they're not actually brave enough to come out and say "hey I think Hitler did nothing wrong".

Unless Murpo's right about the source in which case it's explained pretty quickly.

Seagull fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 8, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Tirade posted:

Hooman got one too. Vile misandrists are targeting the men of auspol.

I will NOT have my movement sullied in this way.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Splode posted:

Just remember that you can't actually solve all of the problems on Earth, and as long as you do what you can and try not to make anything worse you shouldn't let yourself get too depressed. It's bad for you and doesn't actually achieve anything.

Good and correct posts. It is revolting and tragic and it's good that we recognise it and try to spend our time doing things which are not revolting and tragic and we should remember that because look how easy it is to be an arsehole and yet, we are not massive arseholes.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Sisgmund posted:

good lawd

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

idgi

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

yep

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

PERM AS IN PERMABAN

gently caress.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Fat boy skim read.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Ah, you never learn

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

Fat boy skim read.

words cannot describe the level of hatred I feel for you right now

theperminator posted:

Ah, you never learn

you too

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 8, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
:D

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
don't be shocked

by the tone

of his posts

hes just gough suppressant

muyb

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
You've heard of animals chewing off a leg to escape Fruity's posting? There's an animal kind of trick. A human would remain in the thread, endure the posts, submitting reports that he might get Fruity banned and remove a threat to his kind.

• Locked thread