Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, his friends are like, The Literal Devil, a bald monk his father's age, a green alien and... that's about it. He could use someone his own age at least.

Didn't Gohan have plenty of friends in high school during the Saiya Man arc or was he an outsider, I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

a cartoon duck posted:

Didn't Gohan have plenty of friends in high school during the Saiya Man arc or was he an outsider, I forgot.

Since he was home-schooled before, he was a bit odd, he only really talked to the two kids who were named after writing utensils. And that was when he was already 16, so not exactly childhood friends.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

At least Gohan is still better off than Yamcha.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Testekill posted:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Team Fourstar :allears:

Also, isn't he a world famous baseball player, or is this a fan thing? Because it seems somewhat unfair, he can still outperform every other human being on the planet without even trying.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Dark. But yeah, the universe just had it out for Yamcha.

e X posted:

Team Fourstar :allears:

Also, isn't he a world famous baseball player, or is this a fan thing? Because it seems somewhat unfair, he can still outperform every other human being on the planet without even trying.

He was a fairly successful baseball player.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 8, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think we're all allowed to take glee in Yamcha's frequent rear end-beatings in a world where death has no consequence.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kild posted:

?

Goku is suppose to be 5'9 and Vegeta is suppose to be 5'5

Okay I was thinking maybe I was just confusing it with GT (shudder) but then I came across this

I also found a whole topic elsewhere about height inconsistency. Its really loving long too.... If you all want to read some of it or just the OP
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25930

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cozz posted:

The only warriors who used ki in the pre Z tournaments were the Z fighters. Granted, the entire world seems to have forgotten about Demon King Piccolo and the Saiyan attack (each having ki used as destruction, perhaps considering one was a 'demon' and the others aliens it was better explained that way), but ki is a rare thing on Earth.

You mean they've all forgotten the true meaning of Piccolo Day?!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Gohan also had that Dragon thing as a pet

But due to it being non-canon, he was not allowed to keep it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay I was thinking maybe I was just confusing it with GT (shudder) but then I came across this

I also found a whole topic elsewhere about height inconsistency. Its really loving long too.... If you all want to read some of it or just the OP

Look at that slumping hick, Vegeta almost catches up to Goku in height purely due to his superior Saiyan posture.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Even disregarding his height, Vegata's looks changed a lot when he stopped being a villain.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Is that from a movie or Kai? Because if it's the former then you know it doesn't count.

While the coloring and lines look good, something about Vegeta's face reminds me of galo sengen (more than usual)

Testekill posted:

Also as soon as I saw this post I knew what the next post would be and started lolling when I saw the saibamen pic

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, his friends are like, The Literal Devil, a bald monk his father's age, a green alien and... that's about it. He could use someone his own age at least.

His name is Dende.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dr Snofeld posted:

His name is Dende.

Funny, he never spoke up about it.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I think my favorite line from DBZA isn't even one of the recurring jokes (although the Muffin Button definitely gets me to laugh even though it's so stupid)

Goku gives Gohan a senzu after landing on Namek:

Gohan: "Dad, you're here! I love you!"

Goku: "Yes Gohan, I AM here."

It just totally sums up their whole relationship (on DBZA. Obviously they overplay the whole Goku is a Bad Dad thing vs. the original)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Speaking of DBZA (every other post), hasn't it been a little longer than usual since their last video?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zenzirouj posted:

Speaking of DBZA (every other post), hasn't it been a little longer than usual since their last video?

Since the last actual episode, they have released the second Cooler movie and a video saying "it's going to be a while."

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They said it'll be around August, which sucks, but we know it'll be great, so I can wait a bit.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Indeed it is, but they do make "news" videos about when the next episode is coming. I am assuming you haven't seen it but due to certain things happening, we won't get the next episode til august. Kaiser said treat the last episode like it was a season finale.

They did say however that they will have something for DBZA fans on July.

I have a feeling it might be the Future of Trunks special.

edit:beat'd but yeah.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Some Numbers posted:

Since the last actual episode, they have released the second Cooler movie and a video saying "it's going to be a while."

I think they said the next episode should happen in August.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

Indeed it is, but they do make "news" videos about when the next episode is coming. I am assuming you haven't seen it but due to certain things happening, we won't get the next episode til august. Kaiser said treat the last episode like it was a season finale.

Appropriate, since it's the end of the "Android" part of the saga and begins the "Cell" part.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The only problem with History of Trunks is that it's pretty dark so it would be kinda difficult to get humour out of it. I mean, if anyone can do it it's Team Fourstar but it'll still be tough.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Zenzirouj posted:

They release a news video with updates once a month via their youtube channel. KaiserNeko apparently moved this month, in another state, and since he is the editor, July wont have a regular episode.

Speaking of their channel, they also have a series where KaiserNeko show how he edits the videos and some of the stuff is really amazing. The Cooler movie doesn't have an actual shot of Goku going Super Saiyan, so he created his own from the existing footage. That is just insane!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh yeah Kaiser is a great editor. I can't blame him for just going

gently caress this movie. gently caress this MOVIE. gently caress THIS MOVIE.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

e X posted:

They release a news video with updates once a month via their youtube channel. KaiserNeko apparently moved this month, in another state, and since he is the editor, July wont have a regular episode.

Speaking of their channel, they also have a series where KaiserNeko show how he edits the videos and some of the stuff is really amazing. The Cooler movie doesn't have an actual shot of Goku going Super Saiyan, so he created his own from the existing footage. That is just insane!

That explains it. There's a ton of editing that goes into these that's really impressive and often goes unnoticed. That's really cool though, I didn't know he had built an animation from scraps.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Shindragon posted:

They did say however that they will have something for DBZA fans on July.

I have a feeling it might be the Future of Trunks special.

edit:beat'd but yeah.

I hope it's the "DBKai Abridged" of the Freeza saga.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Testekill posted:

The only problem with History of Trunks is that it's pretty dark so it would be kinda difficult to get humour out of it. I mean, if anyone can do it it's Team Fourstar but it'll still be tough.

I do love the History of Trunks. That's probably IMO the best one shot special Toei did for DBZ.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Testekill posted:

The original Bardock special wasn't exactly sunshine and rainbows either, but they still made it pretty funny.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Petiso posted:

I hope it's the "DBKai Abridged" of the Freeza saga.

drat you for getting my hopes up. Now I'm going to be really sad if that's not the case.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

e X posted:

I remember back before TFS I was a huge fan of hbi2k. (I liked him before he was cool!) and he said Kaiser made his awesome Gantz Abridged opening in like a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjDIVqwdlUY

Man, that was so long ago now... Berserk Abridged was technically way behind Gantz Abridged and now Gantz Abridged is technically way behind DBZA. I still love it though. I really miss his "episode commentary."

"You all agreed to take part in the latest reality TV show, but you've been hypnotized to forget about it. To win, you have to hunt that alien thing, but everything you see and hear is really just a combination of post-hypnotic suggestion and state-of-the-art special effects.

You know, that story sounds ridiculous, but can I really prove it's not true? And if that's the case, how do I know my whole life isn't an illusion hoisted upon me by some kind of evil genius?

*head asplodes*

There'll be none of that philosophy poo poo in this anime. Takes too much screentime away from sex and violence."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 8, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did he also do an abridged version of Escaflowne? I remember watching it years back up to its then-most recent epsiode, but never really checked back in to see if it was ever finished.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yes I think he actually did do that. It was after Gantz I believe but I never watched it. It (Escaflowne) is actually supposed to be really good though so maybe i should watch it. I know I became a Berserk fan when I watched his Berserk Abridged and then before he final abridged episode he told his viewers to go and watch the anime/read the manga before they watched the abridged ending. I did that and goddam it was amazing.

He's a really cool guy too. He posted on this other board called Toonzone back then and answered my questions about some things. I haven't checked there recently but I wouldn't be surprised if he's too busy nowadays to post there much. Although the other TFS crew, at least KaiserNeko, seem to post on that DBZ site I linked to earlier. A member of Team Faulconer that id the DBZ dub music also is a frequent poster there.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Vegeta is a late bloomer.

Silynt posted:

It just totally sums up their whole relationship (on DBZA. Obviously they overplay the whole Goku is a Bad Dad thing vs. the original)

Actually Toryiama did an interview stating goku doesn't really percieve his family as anything more than companions like krillin and co.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Actually Toryiama did an interview stating goku doesn't really percieve his family as anything more than companions like krillin and co.

:stare:

...Y'know, for such a generally upbeat show, I'm beginning to sense that Dragon Ball does not understand this human emotion called 'love.'

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You know how Greek has several different words for different types of love? Goku knows only Philia.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Spiritus Nox posted:

:stare:

...Y'know, for such a generally upbeat show, I'm beginning to sense that Dragon Ball does not understand this human emotion called 'love.'

Just Goku doesn't.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Just Goku doesn't.

Pretty much. No other family in the series has the problems Goku does in regard to that. Vegeta hugging Trunks and asking Piccolo what would happen to his soul after he died before going to blow himself up showed more love and humanity than anything Goku ever did, and Vegeta's the biggest rear end in a top hat in the show. Vegeta's sacrifice felt like an actual sacrifice. Goku's deaths amounted to "I'll hold him and you kill him" and "I didn't know where else to bring this explosive bug man. Sorry, King Kai!".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zonekeeper posted:

Vegeta's sacrifice felt like an actual sacrifice. Goku's deaths amounted to "I'll hold him and you kill him" and "I didn't know where else to bring this explosive bug man. Sorry, King Kai!".

To be fair, they both ended up coming back. Did anyone in DBZ really make a meaningful sacrifice?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, they both ended up coming back. Did anyone in DBZ really make a meaningful sacrifice?

Piccolo, because him dying is essentially the only reason Namek happened. Though I guess that qualifies more as "significant" than "meaningful."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

WickedHate posted:

You have a point, but it's the thought that counts. Vegeta's deaths had some weight to them and he let his normally guarded emotions through before each of them. Goku's were pretty much "Eh, they'll bring me back with the Dragonballs. No biggie."

• Locked thread