Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
snow crash has a pretty confusing car chase scene but thats mostly because of the skating part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Snow Crash also has one chapter end with the protagonist running out of a town with a bunch of angry people pursuing him, collects his motorbike, and the final line is "...and the rest of it is just a chase scene." Which is quite a neat way of doing it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

qntm posted:

Snow Crash also has one chapter end with the protagonist running out of a town with a bunch of angry people pursuing him, collects his motorbike, and the final line is "...and the rest of it is just a chase scene." Which is quite a neat way of doing it.

1. How do you handle all the changes in dynamic that may occur if you switch a character's gender?

2. What are the signs that tell you when to quit a story?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Sithsaber posted:

1. How do you handle all the changes in dynamic that may occur if you switch a character's gender?

1. Rewrite all those parts that would be different
2. When you're bored of writing it, because if you're bored with something you yourself made, everyone else is going to be super mega x2 bored with it because they didn't make it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Djeser posted:

1. Rewrite all those parts that would be different
2. When you're bored of writing it, because if you're bored with something you yourself made, everyone else is going to be super mega x2 bored with it because they didn't make it.

2. So you shouldn't power through malaise and writer's block?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Sithsaber posted:

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

There is no set answer to this, but I don't agree that you have to finish EVERYTHING you start.

Is it making you miserable? Are you sick of it? Has it been 5+ years since you started? Does it have problems you can't seem to fix? Do you want to work on other things but feel guilty? Is that guilt keeping you from writing anything at all? These are just some considerations, not hard-line rules.

You don't have to drag your way through something that you hate just because at one point you didn't hate it. Put it away. Start something new. Maybe you'll even hate it less later and can come back to it. Or recycle some of it's ideas into something new that excited you.

If you find yourself abandoning everything you start, it might be time for some introspection, but there's no shame in walking away from something that's not working.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

I would add to this: figure out WHY you are procrastinating. Chances are it's because you don't know what to write or you aren't that excited about the next thing you are about to write. That means you need to fix those problems.

Pick up your pen (put your hands on your keyboard) and write down what you don't know. Write down what happens in your next scene and why you don't like it. Figure out what you need to know (keep writing/typing) or what needs to change to make the scene exciting. Now try writing again. You can also jump ahead and write that scene that is bursting out of your head and you are trying to hold it in because you aren't there yet. Or the witty line of dialogue that won't get out of your head. There's no rules about writing things in order.

Sithsaber posted:

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

I agree with Erik Shawn-Bohner that constant false starts can lead to a pretty brutal feeling of failure. But so can refusing to write anything because you can't seem to finish your current story. Sometimes you just have to call something "finished enough for now" and move on. It's not the same as abandonment. For me, they become notes for later.

So I think a big question is, are you finishing anything? More than half of what you start? Or are you constantly starting and abandoning?

Personally, this tends to happen to me when I become overly convinced of the importance of what I'm writing. I start thinking "THIS, this is the break-out short story that I will build my career on. It's gotta be perfect!" then I totally shut down, because every flaw is tantamount to being a complete and utter failure as a writer. Good times!

Especially if you find your attention wavering after about a week, giving yourself less than a week to complete and share something might help. Participating in Thunderdome has forced me to finish and post things that are terrifyingly imperfect. It's been the best and most awesome thing for my writing. Bravery bordering on recklessness is a key component of writing.

Regarding our old friend, liquid courage, it is entirely possible to do this:

[let go of your inner critic]

Without doing this:

[drinking a lot]

I don't think Erik was advising would-be writers to hit rock-bottom, but the power of alcohol tends to get a tad over-glorified, in my opinion. Can it help you open up to emotions and shut down criticism to get writing? Suuuuure, sometimes. It can also become a huge danger and waste of time, something that hampers writing rather than helping.

No matter what, writing requires a huge amount of determination. You have to keep writing, even when you're not "feeling it." You also have to make yourself feel all the terrible emotions you put your characters through--and then keep putting them through even worse. I can't stand to have anyone look at me when I'm writing; it's too intimate. I have been known to hide under the covers when writing a particularly tough scene. If you're getting bored with your idea, kick things up a notch, go crazy, have a character go crazy, make aliens invade, whatever. To learn to write, you have to write and edit complete stories. Just acknowledge that the first dozen or so (ha ha, more like 50+) are going to be god awful.

Edit:

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Snowcrash has some pretty anime action scenes.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 4, 2014

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards

Sithsaber posted:

Yes and no. If you're fed up with writing a scene, your story probably doesn't need it. If you're fed up with writing, lower your standards and write anyways.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

The thing that has helped me the most with writers' block when I am working on longer pieces is to analyse why I feel blocked. Is it...

1. Because you can't think of what happens next?

2. Because you know what happens next but you can't think of how to start writing it?

3. Because you've got an ending in mind but you don't like or don't know how you're going to get there?

4. Because you don't want to work on this project anymore?

Often times, 1-3 can feel like 4, especially if you don't have a history of working on longer projects. It's easy to fall back on "I must be bored with this idea" or "I'm just not feeling this story anymore" when in all actuality your problems might just be with that part of that story.

If you have an ending in mind, ask yourself: are you still looking forward to the end? Do you still think your ending is a good one? Do you feel like your ending will be a satisfying one that ties everything off nicely? It's a little trickier if you don't have an ending in mind yet, but you can kind of apply the reverse: do you still like the beginning/plots/characters/conflicts?

If you find yourself still enjoying your idea for how the story ends, chances are your issue isn't with the piece, it's with the scene you're stuck on.

This might be contrary to a lot of advice you'll see in books and online, but I have actually had a lot of success with just leaving projects alone for a while and coming back to them later. I had a story a few years ago where I wrote the beginning, the middle, and knew how I wanted it to end, but I was having trouble bridging the end of the second act to the third. Rather than just blasting through it, I deliberately set it aside for two months and forced myself not to think about it at all.

Two months later, I read it from the beginning and realised that the second act had gotten too convoluted, and I didn't need to fret over how to bridge into act three, I just had to trim the poo poo out of the second act and ditch an unnecessary subplot that made the ending flow much better.

My rule of thumb is that I never take a long break from something I haven't already tried to rekindle my love for. A lot of times, the long break helps. Sometimes it doesn't, but that's okay, too. If you've tried powering through and you've tried taking a break and you've tried rewriting the bit you're stuck on, it's okay to let go. Not all great ideas can become great stories. And at least you'll have learned from the experience.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Comma placement question:

quote:

...blah blah passed by downtown Atlanta enough to recognize the City, and wherever he was going, downtown Atlanta wasn't it.

1. Is this wrong?

2. Should I have written "but wherever he was..." instead of "and wherever"?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sithsaber posted:

Comma placement question:

1. Is this wrong?

2. Should I have written "but wherever he was..." instead of "and wherever"?

Yes that is wrong. I'd have a semicolon instead of 'and'.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it looks like the second part is an interjection but the third part isnt a direct continuation of the first part. which is why i think you wrote it like that in the first place.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

it looks like the second part is an interjection but the third part isnt a direct continuation of the first part. which is why i think you wrote it like that in the first place.

So...what should I do exactly?

I held off on the semicolon because I'd already used one in the same paragraph.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Make it two sentences. But if you don't have any intuitions about how that sentence sounds, I'd hazard a guess that your writing has other problems you'd do better to spend your time worrying about.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

God Over Djinn posted:

Make it two sentences. But if you don't have any intuitions about how that sentence sounds, I'd hazard a guess that your writing has other problems you'd do better to spend your time worrying about.

Why do you think I'm asking the question?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Are you being sarcastic to people giving you advice because lol

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Are you being sarcastic to people giving you advice because lol

Obviously I have a lot to learn.

Here's the old sentence in full:

"Nevertheless, Stephen had passed through the area enough times to recognize the City, and wherever he was headed, Downtown Atlanta wasn't it."

I changed the aforementioned mentioned comma into a semicolon. For some reason this breaks the stream of consciousness and metanarrative but whatever.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 8, 2014

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Sithsaber posted:

Obviously I have a lot to learn.

Here's the old sentence in full:

"Nevertheless, Stephen had passed through the area enough times to recognize the City, and wherever he was headed, Downtown Atlanta wasn't it."

I changed the aforementioned mentioned comma into a semicolon. For some reason this breaks the stream of consciousness and metanarrative but whatever.

This would 100% no foolin' abso-loving-lutely flow better if you just turned it into two sentences. Read it out loud, then read it out loud with a period after "city."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anomalous Blowout posted:

This would 100% no foolin' abso-loving-lutely flow better if you just turned it into two sentences. Read it out loud, then read it out loud with a period after "city."

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Never write anything after 4 in the morning.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sithsaber posted:

Never write anything after 4 in the morning.

no, thats the best time to write, just edit when you're wide awake.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

no, thats the best time to write, just edit when you're wide awake.

Really?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its definitely a personal preference thing, but yes. i find the lack of distraction at later hours, along with a sleepy mind, help create a good atmosphere where i dump out a few pages of drivel. its a weird time where my unconscious brain does half the work, but im still awake enough to realize if something is really goddamn stupid.

i suppose thats not going to work if you wake up at 6am everyday though.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 8, 2014

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That passage works totally fine with a comma too. Your call.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Now I'm confused.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I know I haven't been doing anything to contribute to good discussion, but this thread got a whole lot worse when Sithsaber found it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

blue squares posted:

I know I haven't been doing anything to contribute to good discussion, but this thread got a whole lot worse when Sithsaber found it.

Someone report this. I always get probated when I tell off the whiners who follow me around.

This is a advice thread, genius.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards

Sithsaber posted:

Now I'm confused.

Sorry for being snippy earlier, but what I was hoping to stave off was exactly this. My whole point was: it's not a question that's worth getting confused over. You have a number of good writers telling you that various solutions are all fine, which should suggest that it's largely a matter of context and personal preference. But if you're still at a point where you don't have an 'ear' to choose between multiple technically correct options, then you definitely don't need to be spending this much time and energy on a single relatively uninteresting sentence. You're wasting your own time. Just write.

Maybe I'm missing something, because I've never read anything you've written, but your questions in here are very basic, the kind of stuff that you could easily intuit from reading or learn by Googling. The fact that you're asking them makes me guess that your writing has other issues that dwarf 'do I put a comma here?'. That's why (at least) my instinct is to be a bit irritated when I see you asking these things - you're clearly missing the forest for the trees. But I invite you to prove me wrong by posting your writing (or pointing me to where you have).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i agree, please post your writing sithsaber

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

God Over Djinn posted:

Sorry for being snippy earlier, but what I was hoping to stave off was exactly this. My whole point was: it's not a question that's worth getting confused over. You have a number of good writers telling you that various solutions are all fine, which should suggest that it's largely a matter of context and personal preference. But if you're still at a point where you don't have an 'ear' to choose between multiple technically correct options, then you definitely don't need to be spending this much time and energy on a single relatively uninteresting sentence. You're wasting your own time. Just write.

Maybe I'm missing something, because I've never read anything you've written, but your questions in here are very basic, the kind of stuff that you could easily intuit from reading or learn by Googling. The fact that you're asking them makes me guess that your writing has other issues that dwarf 'do I put a comma here?'. That's why (at least) my instinct is to be a bit irritated when I see you asking these things - you're clearly missing the forest for the trees. But I invite you to prove me wrong by posting your writing (or pointing me to where you have).

1. I use this thread as a launching point.

2. I nitpick

3. I've been a bit eclectic lately. Right now I'm trying to get over the sloppiness that comes with texting everything, but I'll link a couple things tonight.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
what's a metanarrative

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Sitting Here posted:

what's a metanarrative

It's not what I thought it was. What I meant was a story that referenced itself and what was being thought about when I got the idea for the story.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
most style guides recommend using a semicolon or an em dash ONLY if it does not break the metanarrative

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

To that point: I see a lot of people writing about writing, and a lot of people asking abstract questions - and yes, a lot of people critiquing responses to the esoteric challenges of Thunderdome - but I don't see a lot of writing.

Not a lot of, "here's a story I wrote, in its entirety. What do you all think?" And that seems odd, because asking that question of that output is the only real question there is at stake. It's the only question that exists in the marketplace, after all. And no, it doesn't belong in this thread but it does belong in CC, and it seems like the writing community here is watching this thread instead of putting themselves out there. This isn't to chastise anyone in any way, but I'm ready to crit as best as I can. So wither the stories, everyone?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Someone report this. I always get probated when I tell off the whiners who follow me around.

This is a advice thread, genius.

And nothing makes this "advice thread" unhappy like some pompous rear end-jack asking increasingly picayune questions in a transparent attempt to make other people an accessory to procrastination. Punctuation advice? Really? Really.

It especially doesn't help that you've got no actual samples up so no one can be sure if you're just blowing smoke up their asses. Personally I have only read your essays on Bioshock and would give them a C- at best. Dull stuff, dull stuff.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Oxxidation posted:

And nothing makes this "advice thread" unhappy like some pompous rear end-jack asking increasingly picayune questions in a transparent attempt to make other people an accessory to procrastination. Punctuation advice? Really? Really.

It especially doesn't help that you've got no actual samples up so no one can be sure if you're just blowing smoke up their asses. Personally I have only read your essays on Bioshock and would give them a C- at best. Dull stuff, dull stuff.

1. I had to hold off on the library today. Some of us have jobs.

2. Why wouldn't I ask questions about punctuation? Your whining is stupid.

3. Fandom is basically a different medium.

4. Tomorrow you whiner. I don't have WiFi.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Symptomless Coma posted:

To that point: I see a lot of people writing about writing, and a lot of people asking abstract questions - and yes, a lot of people critiquing responses to the esoteric challenges of Thunderdome - but I don't see a lot of writing.

Not a lot of, "here's a story I wrote, in its entirety. What do you all think?" And that seems odd, because asking that question of that output is the only real question there is at stake. It's the only question that exists in the marketplace, after all. And no, it doesn't belong in this thread but it does belong in CC, and it seems like the writing community here is watching this thread instead of putting themselves out there. This isn't to chastise anyone in any way, but I'm ready to crit as best as I can. So wither the stories, everyone?

Because posting in the Farm is hard and scary. :ohdear:

Speaking of which, it's probably time for a new Farm thread.

E: holy poo poo saber people are trying to help and this is how you act when people are understandably annoyed at your cluelessness?

gently caress off, you don't deserve this thread.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'd like to post my stuff in the farm (and would then go and critique others, too, of course) but the things I'm writing now are all things I hope to get published, and I know it's just a dumb forum, but would having it on here affect that? It being possibly considered "previously published online"?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sithsaber posted:

2. Why wouldn't I ask questions about punctuation? Your whining is stupid.
If you're having that much trouble with punctuation, don't come to a bunch of people on a message board. Read The Elements of Style. Once you've gotten the hang of its rules, then you can figure out when and where they're necessary. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal judgment, but judgment built on a solid foundation.

quote:

3. Fandom is basically a different medium.
Not as different as you might think. Casual conversations like this? Sure, that's one thing. But advice for fiction writing can also apply to nonfiction, like articles and reviews. Don't forget, many of history's best novelists were also essayists and critics.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

blue squares posted:

I'd like to post my stuff in the farm (and would then go and critique others, too, of course) but the things I'm writing now are all things I hope to get published, and I know it's just a dumb forum, but would having it on here affect that? It being possibly considered "previously published online"?

Put it on a Google Doc. Make a thread and link to it. Then take the link down when you want to submit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Keromaru5 posted:

If you're having that much trouble with punctuation, don't come to a bunch of people on a message board. Read The Elements of Style. Once you've gotten the hang of its rules, then you can figure out when and where they're necessary. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal judgment, but judgment built on a solid foundation.

Not as different as you might think. Casual conversations like this? Sure, that's one thing. But advice for fiction writing can also apply to nonfiction, like articles and reviews. Don't forget, many of history's best novelists were also essayists and critics.

That loser was referencing something I texted last month. TEXTED. I even had a disclaimer complaining about how I lost most of it when messing with gmail drafts. The only thing that I've seriously posted here that ended up horrible was Harmonshock, and that was a parody I lost interest in on day one and only completed because I needed to practice following through. (In my head it was a screenplay I never got around to editing)

Ps. And tell that other guy that we can both gently caress off. I'm not going to apologize for getting people's take on a sentence I was hung up on.

Pps. Thanks for reminding me about that book. I should probably read it before I order Zarathustra.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread