Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

iMPC Pro is out now! Someone buy it and let me know if it lets you export stems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Nope, no stems just a stereo track.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
This weekend I used my Focusrite iTrack Dock to record guitars, vocals, and midi keyboard with no issues. Pretty cool device.

The only workaround I had figure out was my M-Audio keystation 88es doesn't seem to work through the USB midi port. It works though when I have it undocked and connected through the CCK. I wonder if I just need to power the keyboard with an external source since my rock band 3 guitar that I sometimes use as a synth axe works when powered via battery. I ended up using the Apollo midi over bluetooth app using my iphone to send MIDI to iPad and it worked perfectly. Response was just as fast as direct connection.

Routed everything through Audiobus into separate Auria tracks.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

illBilliam posted:

Nope, no stems just a stereo track.

This is the thing I don't get about "pro" apps. A "pro" would probably want to finish up their track on a computer, where their real software lives.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

BKPR posted:

This is the thing I don't get about "pro" apps. A "pro" would probably want to finish up their track on a computer, where their real software lives.

Well, it's called "pro" to make all of those consumers feel like pros :P How's the latency of those virtual pads by the way?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

BKPR posted:

Solo track, render to WAV, rinse and repeat until you have your stems.

Annoying, but it's how I render stems with Korg Gadget. I copy and paste each rendered WAV into AudioShare for later use.

In related news:

:siren: ALL KORG APPS ARE CURRENTLY ON SALE :siren:

Korg Gadget is down to $28.99 from $38.99. A pricier app than most, but it's really awesome: http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget_for_ipad/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGfaJdMhcuE

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

FLX posted:

How's the latency of those virtual pads by the way?

Spot on. I'm really enjoying iMPC, the only annoying part is not being able to delete my sound folders/files. Anyone know how this works?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

FLX posted:

How's the latency of those virtual pads by the way?

lol

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Anyone else check out Propellerhead Take (for iOS) yet? I downloaded it the day it came out but didn't have a chance to mess with it til today.

I've got this chronic problem where I only get song ideas when I'm as far from my gear as humanly possible, and I very frequently forget things if I don't scratch them down real fast. As a result I have literally hours of me whispering tunes into the iPod Voice Recorder app that are often difficult to translate back into the DAW when I'm back home because of their haphazard nature.

Anyway, this thing is exactly the perfect tool for me. It lets you record up to three simultaneous tracks, has three metronome options, built-in effects, and it's super easy to navigate. So I can lay down a solid pre-sequenced three-part idea, without having to tell myself "okay here's the bass," "this pad line comes in a quarter note after the bass starts," etc.

This is what I had hoped to be able to do with the iMaschine app, but iMaschine doesn't have a step editor and it is a loving nightmare trying to tap melodies live into that thing on an iPod.

The Take demo video is cheesy as shiiiiiiiiiit but it at least gets the point across. This thing rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu2zmzCWEn4

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 1, 2014

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cname posted:

Spot on. I'm really enjoying iMPC, the only annoying part is not being able to delete my sound folders/files. Anyone know how this works?

It's coming in v1.1, which is being approved by Apple right now.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

lol is right. I semi-redact my statement about low latency. It responds great, if you're only hitting one pad at a time. Trying to play two or more at once = lovely latency for iMPC.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just picked up samplr. I got the focus rite dock and it seems to work pretty well but I think my cables are all hosed up or something cause one synth sounds fine and my other one sounds hollow when I route everything into my mixer -> effects -> mixer -> focus rite

Anyway. I love the Waldorf nave app. That poo poo can loving devour time.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

OK, I've run into issues with my workflow. Here's what I want to do:

Music coming from synths, iMPC, Figure, etc. > Audiobus effects > Loopy > Launchpad

My problems:

iMPC can't use AB, but AudioCopy works fine
Loopy's AudioCopy implementation is out of date
I can't record x number of bars of synth lines directly into Launchpad/AC
Figure works with everything, but is obviously limited

My question is: is there a Loopy replacement that supports AC?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I just released an EP made 100% on an iPad, in NanoStudio. At least everything apart from the mastering (since I can't do that poo poo myself) and the very final editing stuff.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

drat, KORG Gadget just updated with two new (IAP) gadgets, MIDI control, landscape mode, Ableton Live poo poo, more export possibilities AND 64-bit support!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

And it's on sale. This is unfair, I just bought Cubasis (also on sale).

W424
Oct 21, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

drat, KORG Gadget just updated with two new (IAP) gadgets, MIDI control, landscape mode, Ableton Live poo poo, more export possibilities AND 64-bit support!

Lol paying 8,99€ (twice) for importing audio.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thank gently caress for landscape mode. So annoying it didn't have that before.

Too bad that even with its simple sequencer deal I still am retarded about programming drums.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone check out Jordantron yet? Looks pretty awesome.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Probably not, it's a butt-ugly interface and Jordan, so it won't go on sale either.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Kinda bummed this thread has slowed down so much but Holderness is using the new app bundle system for their great Audiobus/IAA effects, which is also on sale, so get that.

Also don't update to iOS 8 yet, lots of apps (especially Korg ones and Animoog, also Cubasis and Auria) are broken/in review.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

theflyingexecutive posted:

Kinda bummed this thread has slowed down so much but Holderness is using the new app bundle system for their great Audiobus/IAA effects, which is also on sale, so get that.

Also don't update to iOS 8 yet, lots of apps (especially Korg ones and Animoog, also Cubasis and Auria) are broken/in review.

ios 8 killed bebot.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sizone posted:

ios 8 killed bebot.
There was an update today though.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Animoog just got an update (even with AudioBus support) and Auria too. :)

Regarding this thread, what would you like to see? I know the OP is incredibly out of date and I must admit that there is so much stuff happening nowadays on iOS, that I can't really keep up with all of it anymore. If anybody wants to create a new and more up-to-date thread, go ahead. I can send you all of the pictures from the OP, if you need them.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Kinda bummed this thread has slowed down so much

The Audiobus forum is where pretty much all iOS music discussion happens these days. Lots of knowledgable users there, and plenty of app devs post too.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Prophet dropped today -- it's Arturia's Prophet 5/VS without the 5 (just the wavetable part). Haven't picked it up yet but seeing as I've never screwed around with the wavetable bit of the VS I may try it out. Honestly I'd rather have the 5 though.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I wish more of these instruments would integrate with Gadget rather than Tabletop. Tabletop's phrase editor is just sooooooo bad.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Arturia contracted out to Retronyms to develop the app so Tabletop is a given. I'm fairly surprised that Audiobus made it in -- they usually make a point of not supporting them.

I don't think Gadget has an exposed API to allow other instruments.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I know all of that I was just dreaming. :allears:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So Sector is pretty great.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

So Sector is pretty great.

All of that Kymatica guy's apps are top notch. AudioShare is indispensable if you're making music and/or managing sound files on iOS.

It's sort of a shame he doesn't make AudioShare a freemium app because the AudioShare SDK allows transferring multiple files between apps, unlike the latest AudioCopy app. AudioCopy is free, but the AudioShare app isn't, however.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

He's posted a lot on the AB forums about how pithy revenue from apps is after taxes and Apple's cut. Even expensive apps are cheap by VST standards, five bucks is worth it to loosen Apple's hold on the filesystem.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Korg and the Beatmaker dudes updated their poo poo :dance:

Not sure what's left that still shits the bed in iOS8 and I use all the time now... Sunrizer hasn't been updated yet but I'm not sure if it's broken or not.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
As s novice-at-best I gotta say I have endless fun just dicking around with iKaossilator.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Bananalogue posted:

Korg and the Beatmaker dudes updated their poo poo :dance:

Not sure what's left that still shits the bed in iOS8 and I use all the time now... Sunrizer hasn't been updated yet but I'm not sure if it's broken or not.

This page says Sunrizer is good to go: http://audiob.us/apps/search/Sunrizer

He's posted a lot on the AB forums about how pithy revenue from apps is after taxes and Apple's cut. Even expensive apps are cheap by VST standards, five bucks is worth it to loosen Apple's hold on the filesystem.

Getting into music making with an iPad really is dirt cheap compared to a laptop + DAW + VSTs trifecta.

pre:
32 GB iPad mini with Retina display:    $399
Korg Gadget app:                        $39
AudioShare:                             $4
Audiobus:                               Free + $5 IAP
AudioCopy:                              Free

Final total:                            $447
Reason 8 costs $399, the cost of the iPad. Ableton Live 9 Suite is $1198. You might even need to buy a new computer if the one you have is getting long in the tooth.

Fortunately there are some lower cost alternatives. REAPER can be had for $60 or $225, and Mac owners can buy Logic Pro X for $200. And there are quite a few good free and inexpensive VST and AU instruments and effects out there.

Certainly there's a lot of piracy involved in upper end DAW and VST software. Ignoring that, iPad music apps are a paradise for production noobs of various stripes. I'm rather fluent with Live, REAPER and Renoise but I'd much rather sit outdoors with my iPad, headphones and something good to sip on.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

I got seriously burned by Traktor DJ when upgrading to iOS7. Like, dumping my entire library and playlists randomly burned. I hosed up gigs because of that. Not gonna upgrade to iOS 8 for a while..

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Does anyone have any experience with the iConnectMIDI hardware?

90% of the time I'll be using my ipad as a midi controller for my actual synths when at my desk and when I'm travelling I'll be using things like gadget and nanostudio. I'll maybe get a few instruments besides alchemy but it will mostly be used as a controller.

Speaking of instruments, I was also looking at the arturia isem and wondered if anyone would recommend it or point me to something else.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

What do you have already?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

What do you have already?

So far just Alchemy and NanoStudio.

I know for a fact that I'm getting Nave and Gadget but I'm waiting to see if they go on thanksgiving / christmas sales, and I'm looking at Animoog and Samplr as well. isem seems to have gotten really good reviews (along with imini) but I thought I would ask here before buying it. I have an actual MS-20 so I don't need to get the ipad one, and I like nano studio enough to where I don't need a full production app beyond that and gadget.

I'm also debating between Lemur and Mididesigner to use as a control surface for my hardware synths/effects and DAW so opinions on either one of those would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
TouchOsc works really well, is easy to make custom layouts using its pc based editing program and is super cheap.

• Locked thread