Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Keegan-Michael Key was also great on Playing House and has been a regular on the new seasons of Whose Line is it Anyway. He's been a regular or star on 4 shows this season alone, plus guest starred in Parks and Rec and probably more stuff I don't even know about (Also he's a regular guest on The Thrilling Adventure Hour.) When does he sleep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Key is like the black Fred Armisen. Armisen is constantly on SNL, has his own show, is a regular on another show, frequently appears in movies, does the voice of Speedy Gonzales. and still finds time to be awful on Seth Meyer's late night show every night.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

Key is like the black Fred Armisen.

I know his last two notable roles before Key & Peele were Mad TV and some funny animal video clip show on Animal Planet, but come on, comparing him to Fred Armisen is a bit harsh don't you think?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Just meant they're both hard working comedians. If Key's the tall skinny one, then he's a much better straight man that Armisen, but Armisen does better character work.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Goddrat, The Leftovers is loving terrible on every level. I said it was boring and stupid, but it's even boringer and stupider than that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not that boring. But I'm sick of seeing Amy Brenneman's face along with all the other cult people that don't talk. Every episode seems to end with lovely dramatic music like Lost.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Hey Deadpool this Key and Peele show is pretty good, thanks for the rec.

Did you miss the month or 2 when everyone was talking about how good that show is? :confused:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm halfway through the second season of Big Love and I have to say it is the weirdest loving show. No one in this show is remotely normal. It's really like some alternate reality and I like watching it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Workaholics had one near-perfect season, then a not so great one with a couple of episodes that were way better than the rest, then a mostly great one, then a pretty bad one.

A Deft Assessment.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm halfway through the second season of Big Love and I have to say it is the weirdest loving show. No one in this show is remotely normal. It's really like some alternate reality and I like watching it.

It's an HBO show that feels like it belongs on Showtime IMO. It also gets increasingly dark as it goes on, especially in the last two seasons. I still think it's worth checking out because there's not a lot on TV like it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is the Larry Sanders show good?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

WYA posted:

Very much so. HBO's first really good show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Reminder: The Bridge returns for a second season starting tomorrow on FX.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Okay, it's on Hulu, so I'll give the Bridge a shot.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Gonz posted:

The little I've read about it suggests it isn't following the Scandanavian second season, anyone know if that's true? I really liked the border atmosphere of the FX show, but gave up halfway through because it was a story I'd already seen.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Gonz posted:

I can't help but get mad at this show for wasting such a good premise, setting, and actors last season. The first few episodes were great, and it just devolved from there into a revenge fantasy with a cackling evil, omnipotent villain played by an actor who was way out of his depth.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 8, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've tried multiple times to get into Key and Peele but I just do not see what everyone loves about it so much. Their opening dialogue is at best not very funny, at worst, cringe-inducing. The sketches themselves seem to be built around one really dumb joke that goes on way too long. I have seen some funny ones though, most notably the valet sketches and the football ones (basically the only two anyone ever references when talking about how great the show is.)

Maybe I just haven't watched enough episodes, but the obvious comparison to draw is to the Chappelle Show, which was way more consistent in quality.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Always skip the stage portions of Key and Peele. They add nothing and often ruin a good sketch by overexplaining the joke.

K: "You ever notice how women talk so much about nothing?"
P: "Yeah, and all I hear is blahablahablaahblah."
*sketch starts where all the women say blabablahablah instead of words*

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

WYA posted:

It is one of my all time favorite shows. Since you probably don't know me, take that as a seal of quality.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Gonz posted:

Really looking forward to Franka Potente as one of the season's major villains.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

whowhatwhere posted:

Very much so. HBO's first really good show.

Harlock posted:

It is one of my all time favorite shows. Since you probably don't know me, take that as a seal of quality.

Cool. I've been meaning to track it down ever since they talked it up so much on America in Primetime.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Leftovers is ok. You'll hate it if you need everything explained or are a dummy who was set on hating it before you even watch it. Which it seems most people were so they could post about how right they were about not liking it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Leftovers is pretty firmly in "pretty alright" territory for me so far. Lindelof can't write dialogue for poo poo, though.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Harlock posted:

Hey, now, I finished watching it for the first time a few months ago, and I loved it.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

The Leftovers is ok. You'll hate it if you need everything explained or are a dummy who was set on hating it before you even watch it. Which it seems most people were so they could post about how right they were about not liking it.

People want to pretend like they 'learned' the lesson from LOST. But all they're doing is making the criticisms that they'd wished they made about LOST when it aired, but about this show, which isn't really similar to LOST at all.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of early HBO, one really rad thing about HBO's early days was their children's programming. I get that now they're a mature, adult network so that kind of thing doesn't have a place there anymore but it was probably the only network that something like Buy Me That Too: A Kid's Survival Guide to TV Advertising could have been made and aired on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7VNFO4ksCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgP3_ZJVs7k

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

People want to pretend like they 'learned' the lesson from LOST. But all they're doing is making the criticisms that they'd wished they made about LOST when it aired, but about this show, which isn't really similar to LOST at all.
People were already complaining about the lack of 'answers' from the first episode on, so yeah :shrug:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay started watching the Larry Sanders show, pretty funny so far. When would you guys say it's peak is?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WYA posted:

Okay started watching the Larry Sanders show, pretty funny so far. When would you guys say it's peak is?

The end.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
What career field are you all in that leaves you with so little time that you have to min-max your TV watching? It sounds terrible.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Speaking of early HBO, one really rad thing about HBO's early days was their children's programming. I get that now they're a mature, adult network so that kind of thing doesn't have a place there anymore but it was probably the only network that something like Buy Me That Too: A Kid's Survival Guide to TV Advertising could have been made and aired on.

Didn't Fraggle Rock originally air on HBO? I always thought that was odd considering what HBO is like these days.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

PantsBandit posted:

The sketches themselves seem to be built around one really dumb joke that goes on way too long.

While I wouldn't characterize it quite like that, this is the UCB style of comedy, and it works brilliantly. The idea: find the premise, the joke, the part that doesn't fit with normalcy. This is the 'game.' Now ask the question, if this is true, what else is true? And then keep heightening the game.

And example, the Monty Python parrot sketch. The game of the sketch: Person won't acknowledge obvious fact in front of face. Heighten that game.

This is also why any fan of long-form improv hates short-form improv (like Whose Line). I know it can be funny, but it's also cheap - the games are announced BEFORE anything happens, and it just amounts to playing to the audience, instead of making a scene, discovering what the game is, and heightening that off of the tip of your intelligence and using the ideas of other people in the group.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh btw during my exile was I right when I read that there were some people in here throwing shade on the Fargo movie?

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hudsucker Proxy is pretty good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ashpanash posted:

While I wouldn't characterize it quite like that, this is the UCB style of comedy, and it works brilliantly. The idea: find the premise, the joke, the part that doesn't fit with normalcy. This is the 'game.' Now ask the question, if this is true, what else is true? And then keep heightening the game.

And example, the Monty Python parrot sketch. The game of the sketch: Person won't acknowledge obvious fact in front of face. Heighten that game.

This is also why any fan of long-form improv hates short-form improv (like Whose Line). I know it can be funny, but it's also cheap - the games are announced BEFORE anything happens, and it just amounts to playing to the audience, instead of making a scene, discovering what the game is, and heightening that off of the tip of your intelligence and using the ideas of other people in the group.

Key and Peele isn't improv though. They have the luxury of being able to spend as much time as they want writing their sketches so there should be more humor to it than just one little thing. When Chappelle did stuff like the black Klan member, there were other jokes and wordplay interlaced throughout. In comparison, Key and Peele do a sketch about how baseball players like to slap each others asses and, like you said, just keep escalating that one concept. There isn't really anything else to it, it's just increasing the absurdity of the one joke.

To continue with the Baseball sketch example: the sketch is probably around 6 minutes long. It starts with the guy wanting to slap someone's rear end, then his teammates get mad at him about it. They continue to get madder until they drag him away. There's nothing really "funny" about it other than the guy being really obsessed with slapping rear end.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 8, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JohnSherman posted:

What career field are you all in that leaves you with so little time that you have to min-max your TV watching? It sounds terrible.

It's p easy if you work any full time job to have little/no time for tv watching

Full Time job: 8 hours
Sleeping: 6-8 hours
Exercise:1-2 hours
Various chores: 1-2 hours
That leaves 4-8 hours for "free time" in a day, if you have an SO that time is probably halved, so you're lookin at 2-4 hours to do hobbies

Then if you like play video games or read or other hobbies that's cut even further

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ahh yes, I'm sure every goon here exercises 1-2 hours a day

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

It's p easy if you work any full time job to have little/no time for tv watching

Full Time job: 8 hours
Sleeping: 6-8 hours
Exercise:1-2 hours
Various chores: 1-2 hours
That leaves 4-8 hours for "free time" in a day, if you have an SO that time is probably halved, so you're lookin at 2-4 hours to do hobbies

Then if you like play video games or read or other hobbies that's cut even further

Post bullshit on TVIV: ?

I don't even want to think about how much time I set aside for that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 8, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Oh btw during my exile was I right when I read that there were some people in here throwing shade on the Fargo movie?

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

The movie is a stone-cold classic but I can see how somebody who never saw it until after the show aired would be put off by the difference in tone and content if they were expecting it be exactly like the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Ahh yes, I'm sure every goon here exercises 1-2 hours a day

6-8 for me, but only to justify my gross eating habits.

• Locked thread