Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not an oceanographer or anything like that, but every response I've seen to this from scientists (like Miriam Goldstein, who studies the garbage in the gyres) has been negative. And when it was originally reported on, it was just a highschool kids project. The fact that they've done their own investigation of their idea doesn't particularly impress me either.

Feasibility Assessment posted:

Because no nets would be used, a passive cleanup may well be harmless to the marine ecosystem and could potentially catch particles that are much smaller than what nets could capture.

Remember, they're talking about filtering the first 2-3 metres of the ocean surface. It's pretty clear they are thinking only of macroscopic animals and ignoring the plankton, which again are very fragile and can't avoid the booms.

(Edit: ignoring is not right, but I believe they have a simplistic view of what can affect an ecosystem)

I'm not in that field so I'm leaving my judgement to the experts, who are saying it won't work without harming the ecosystem.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Is capital so loving resistant to not outright killing the planet?

Do you really need to be told the answer to that?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

I'm not an oceanographer or anything like that, but every response I've seen to this from scientists (like Miriam Goldstein, who studies the garbage in the gyres) has been negative. And when it was originally reported on, it was just a highschool kids project. The fact that they've done their own investigation of their idea doesn't particularly impress me either.

Remember, they're talking about filtering the first 2-3 meters of the ocean surface. It's pretty clear they are thinking only of macroscopic animals and ignoring the plankton, which again are very fragile and can't avoid the booms.

(Edit: ignoring is not right, but I believe they have a simplistic view of what can affect an ecosystem)

I'm not in that field so I'm leaving my judgement to the experts, who are saying it won't work without harming the ecosystem.

Fair enough I suppose.

Can I ask what you'd do then? Do any of those other scientists have any better ideas?

As to the plankton, this is what they had to say:

quote:

"Because they are effectively neutrally buoyant, both phytoplankton and zooplankton are likely to pass underneath the barriers along with the current. But even assuming the worst - the Ocean Cleanup Array would harness all the plankton it encounters, this would constitute a maximum loss of 10 million kg of planktonic biomass annually."

They then go on to say "Given the immense primary production of the world oceans, this would take less than 7 seconds to reproduce". While I'm not sure about that, 10,000 tonnes per year seems pretty manageable to me.

They also say "Qualitative data suggested that the barrier does not catch zooplankton as the net behind the boom appeared to have caught an equal amount of zooplankton as the net next to the boom". (But surely a better way of knowing would be to look i the net, no?

It raises a question I suppose - how much plankton would you be willing to remove to get the plastic out of the oceans? If all that plankton is hanging around with all that plastic, do we want it there anyway, or would we be better off taking it all out and starting again?

Since I went through it I may as well break down some data points:

* Total plastic in North Pacific Gyre: 140,000 tonnes (21,000 tonnes < 2 cm, 119,000 tonnes > 2 cm)
* ~ 90% (maybe a bit more) is in the first 3 meters of depth
* A solid boom of a specific length (1.4 km), on a specific angle (30 degrees) has the best chance of capturing all that
* Platforms cost 14 million euros (excluding equipment and mooring)
* In total, to extract 70 million kg (42% of total) from NPG over 10 years, cost is 317 million euros.
* That means the plastic has to have a value of 4.53 euros per kilo to be profitable (which was obviously never going to happen, but anyway).

There are some more charts and graphs in diagram in the report too but I couldn't pull them out.

Problems: Trial period was only over 1 month - given the effect of seasonal variability on the oceans I would want to see it over at least 12. I'd also like better data on exactly what it does to the marine life, but I guess that comes with building bigger models and seeing what happens.

Anyway the next step is to actually test a pilot, which they hope to do in the next 3-4 years, progressively scaling it up until they get to the 100 km array.

Again, I know this isn't strictly on topic, but I feel it's appropriate, in a "discuss the feasibility of solutions to large, borderline intractable environmental problems" kind of way.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
140,000 tons doesn't seem like a huge amount of plastic. That's like and aircraft carrier and a half of plastic, which is a lot, but not necessarily on a global scale.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

That's just in the North Pacific Gyre, there are 4 others around the world, so in total it would be a fair bit more. Also should have said that's a conservative estimate.

But yeah, interesting to think of it in terms of aircraft carriers I guess.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"In the north pacific gyre" meaning spread out across thousands of square miles and god only knows how much depth.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Nintendo Kid posted:

"In the north pacific gyre" meaning spread out across thousands of square miles and god only knows how much depth.

This. It enters needle in a haystack territory.

I think the better solution is keep developing better nanobot technology. Solar-powered self-replicating nanobots. Maybe in 50 or 100 years. I think the carbon dioxide emissions issue is a bit higher priority than ocean plastic. Both suck, but one's just a bit more pressing and solvable now.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well, yeah. That's what the problem is. The question is what to do about it.

Pander posted:

I think the better solution is keep developing better nanobot technology. Solar-powered self-replicating nanobots. Maybe in 50 or 100 years. I think the carbon dioxide emissions issue is a bit higher priority than ocean plastic. Both suck, but one's just a bit more pressing and solvable now.

I'm not sure that a platoon of 'self replicating nanobots' would really be a safer or more cost effective solution than a simple passive floating boom, but I'd be interested to know more.

And come on, let's not fall into the "either / or" dichotomy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hobo Erotica posted:

Well, yeah. That's what the problem is. The question is what to do about it.

It's not a "problem" for that precise reason. It's something on the level of a desk that could use dusting, only the dusting could easily destroy the desk.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's not a "problem" for that precise reason. It's something on the level of a desk that could use dusting, only the dusting could easily destroy the desk.
:goonsay:

From Wikipedia:

quote:

[...] Of the 1.5 million Laysan Albatrosses that inhabit Midway, nearly all are found to have plastic in their digestive system. Approximately one-third of their chicks die, and many of those deaths are due to being fed plastic from their parents. Twenty tons of plastic debris washes up on Midway every year with five tons of that debris being fed to Albatross chicks.

Besides the particles' danger to wildlife, on the microscopic level the floating debris can absorb organic pollutants from seawater, including PCBs, DDT, and PAHs. Aside from toxic effects, when ingested, some of these are mistaken by the endocrine system as estradiol, causing hormone disruption in the affected animal. These toxin-containing plastic pieces are also eaten by jellyfish, which are then eaten by larger fish.

Many of these fish are then consumed by humans, resulting in their ingestion of toxic chemicals. [...]

On the macroscopic level, the physical size of the plastic kills fish, birds and turtles as the animals' digestion can not break down the plastic that is taking up space inside their stomachs. A second effect of the macroscopic plastic is to make it much more difficult for animals to detect their normal sources of food. While eating their normal source of food plastic ingestion can be unavoidable.
Yeah, I'm sure that marine pollution is not a problem at all... :rolleyes: gently caress the ecosystem, what has it ever done for us?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CombatInformatiker posted:

:goonsay:

From Wikipedia:

Yeah, I'm sure that marine pollution is not a problem at all... :rolleyes: gently caress the ecosystem, what has it ever done for us?

The goon say is you freaking out about it when every cleanup thing we can think of currently involves devastating the very same ecosystem.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

The goon say is you freaking out about it when every cleanup thing we can think of currently involves devastating the very same ecosystem.
I was replying to your claim that "it's not a problem" – which it is, apparently.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

So it is a problem, or it's not?

And which is more devastating, catching a few thousand tonnes of plastic contaminated plankton per year, or just leaving all the plastic there?

Do you have something to back up the idea that it would "destroy the desk/ecosystem"? Because in the most scathing critical assessment posted so far it just said: "Plankton biologists, needless to say, are skeptical."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hobo Erotica posted:

So it is a problem, or it's not?

And which is more devastating, catching a few thousand tonnes of plastic contaminated plankton per year, or just leaving all the plastic there?

Do you have something to back up the idea that it would "destroy the desk/ecosystem"? Because in the most scathing critical assessment posted so far it just said: "Plankton biologists, needless to say, are skeptical."

Destroying a major food source would really hurt the ecosystem, yes.

The existence of the plastic is a problem, but every way of removing it so far produces much bigger problems. The only thing we can actually do is stop letting so much new stuff show up, rather than expect to clean it up once it arrives!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

every way of removing it so far produces much bigger problems

I don't think you've really shown that, but I don't mind leaving it there.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
The best way to clean it up would probably be to let it degrade and let it leave the system naturally, while improving waste disposal and recycling to reduce the input. I think this is just generally not studied enough to even come to conclusions about harm, let alone what damage intensive cleanup might cause.

The harms are mostly theoretical at this point. Certainly there are harms, we just don't know what they are, or how large the impact is. We know organisms are eating the plastic (or using it as normally much more scarce habitat, which changes the composition of the community), but we don't know if that's really what's killing the animals found dead - we don't do much sampling of healthy animals to see what's in their stomachs. It could be that the plastic mostly just passes through them without causing trouble.

So I'd much rather study the problem before deciding that action is necessary. Sometimes it's better to allow it to recover on it's own.

I've never done real life work on assessment or remediation of contaminated sites, but I've taken classes on it, including graduate level (almost entirely dealing with terrestrial ecosystems).

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
This is a really boring derail for the Energy Generation thread.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Doom Rooster posted:

This is a really boring derail for the Energy Generation thread.

Honestly, anything is an improvement over throwing another tantrum about how nuclear energy is misunderstood by US politicians and environmentalists. Somehow though, posters in this thread don't seem to get bored of that, even after 48 pages.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I come at this thread from the opposite perspective of silence_kit, but I'm pretty ok with talking about other forms of environmental technology.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know what the solution is to our plastic ocean, but I swear to god the solution involves looser nuclear regulations and more money for thorium research.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I say we empty the oceans of water to fuel massive hydrogen powered engines and fusion reactors, then pick up the plastic on the floor. It's about as efficient as surface floating tech!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

The best way to clean it up would probably be to let it degrade and let it leave the system naturally

You'll forgive me if I say I don't consider this a viable option, right? They don't degrade. Well I mean the sun photo-degrades them into smaller and smaller pieces, but it's all still there. They don't leave the system, and it's definitely not natural.

$500 million to stick some booms out there and try and catch what they can seems like a deal worth trying (Or at least testing further) to me.

I'll take your point that we need more study into the harms of both the problem and the solutions, but at this stage my gut says action is required, that it should be passive (let the currents do the work), hopefully come in at a reasonable price per kilo, and that it shouldn't involve nets.

And yes we can all agree we need to immediately reduce the input.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
They weather into smaller and smaller pieces which can sediment out in feces and dead animals, or wash up on shore (where they certainly should be cleaned up when reasonable). That is how the huge amount of tiny pieces got there in the first place, after all.

http://m.pnas.org/content/early/2014/06/25/1314705111

Doing nothing is often the least bad solution, even when there are remediation options that would fix the original problem.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Honestly, anything is an improvement over throwing another tantrum about how nuclear energy is misunderstood by US politicians and environmentalists. Somehow though, posters in this thread don't seem to get bored of that, even after 48 pages.

But that's pretty much why this thread dies so often, right? Plastic in the oceans has nothing to do with energy generation, and it's the only thing getting talked about right now.

All of the old energy generation arguments have been thoroughly debated and discussed. People in the thread have fallen into three camps:

1) People who are pro-green and pro-nuclear power, who need to come up with solutions to nuclear power's popular perception problem. At the same time, they want many types of renewable power generation in ways that make sense (putting solar panels on residential homes in the desert, for instance). Most of the self-professed scientists, engineers, and people who grew up with a good science education fell into this camp.

2) People who are pro-green and anti-nuclear power, who need to come up with solutions to a myriad of problems involved with adopting renewable power for the entire country. People in this camp mean well, and some of their papers have a lot of scientific merit, but ultimately their argument boils down to either "cost doesn't matter, let's use renewables everywhere" or "this idea is actually cheaper if you make the following assumptions". Their anti-nuclear stance is often fueled by overblown fears of what happens during actual nuclear disasters. Granted, it would suck getting evacuated from your home because the 50 year-old plant down the street was experiencing a meltdown due to a natural disaster, but a nuclear power proponent will gladly point out that the plant was really old and had a lovely design anyway, and no one actually died.

3) People who are anti-green. Coal and oil are good enough, more money in my pocket, FYGM, etc

The people in the pro-nuclear camp want us to switch away from coal as fast as possible for a variety of reasons, so they propose nuclear power, and then they get frustrated that people in camp 2 are so anti-nuclear that they'd rather continue burning coal for power while their favorite pet project gets kickstarted and is still 50-100 years from seeing fruition. The arguments back and forth were all hashed out, so the thread became boring and people stopped posting about energy generation.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

Doing nothing is often the least bad solution, even when there are remediation options that would fix the original problem.

Well it's something I don't think I've ever even considered, so thanks I guess.

Yeah fair point. The arguments have all been done, and I'm glad they have, but after all that I did intend for the thread to be for sharing news and articles on the energy generation front. I mean it's such a rapidly advancing field I thought it would be worth having a place to come and discuss the developments as they happen around the world.

quote:

Plastic in the oceans has nothing to do with energy generation

Um excuse me plastic is made from oil, so you can you can break it down and shake it up or whatever, and turn it into a really lovely fuel, thank you very much.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

2) People who are pro-green and anti-nuclear power, who need to come up with solutions to a myriad of problems involved with adopting renewable power for the entire country. People in this camp mean well, and some of their papers have a lot of scientific merit, but ultimately their argument boils down to either "cost doesn't matter, let's use renewables everywhere" or "this idea is actually cheaper if you make the following assumptions". Their anti-nuclear stance is often fueled by overblown fears of what happens during actual nuclear disasters. Granted, it would suck getting evacuated from your home because the 50 year-old plant down the street was experiencing a meltdown due to a natural disaster, but a nuclear power proponent will gladly point out that the plant was really old and had a lovely design anyway, and no one actually died.

You forgot the part where they randomly accuse us of having some sort of radiation fetish.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

But that's pretty much why this thread dies so often, right? Plastic in the oceans has nothing to do with energy generation, and it's the only thing getting talked about right now.

All of the old energy generation arguments have been thoroughly debated and discussed. People in the thread have fallen into three camps:

1) People who are pro-green and pro-nuclear power, who need to come up with solutions to nuclear power's popular perception problem. At the same time, they want many types of renewable power generation in ways that make sense (putting solar panels on residential homes in the desert, for instance). Most of the self-professed scientists, engineers, and people who grew up with a good science education fell into this camp.

3) People who are anti-green. Coal and oil are good enough, more money in my pocket, FYGM, etc

The people in the pro-nuclear camp want us to switch away from coal as fast as possible for a variety of reasons, so they propose nuclear power, and then they get frustrated that people in camp 2 are so anti-nuclear that they'd rather continue burning coal for power while their favorite pet project gets kickstarted and is still 50-100 years from seeing fruition. The arguments back and forth were all hashed out, so the thread became boring and people stopped posting about energy generation.

That really isn't true at all, there is camp #4, pro-nuclear and anti-green who want only investment in nuclear technology and see any alternative technologies as a waste. They have been pretty vocal.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 8, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ardennes posted:

That really isn't true at all, there is camp #4, pro-nuclear and anti-green who want only investment in nuclear technology and see any alternative technologies as a waste. You probably need to be more honest about the biases in the thread.

Those people are insignificant.

(unless you have quotes to show otherwise)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

computer parts posted:

Those people are insignificant.

(unless you have quotes to show otherwise)

I would say they are far from it, I remember quite a few discussions that wind investment should be "minimal" because of peak load, and solar technology being useless. Even if you suggested a mixed portfolio you experience "group criticism."

The D&D energy thread has historically been very anti-green/pro-nuclear to an extreme. I am actually pro-nuclear expansion to an extent, but this thread has always creeped me the gently caress out. That said, since SA has gone pretty right-wing, a lot of threads have.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 8, 2014

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Ardennes posted:

That really isn't true at all, there is camp #4, pro-nuclear and anti-green who want only investment in nuclear technology and see any alternative technologies as a waste. They have been pretty vocal.

Who here has made this argument? I must have missed it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

crabcakes66 posted:

Someone dismissing green technologies one by one is probably anti-green.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Ardennes posted:

I'm looking through the thread trying to find a specific example.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ardennes posted:

It seems more like you're just making a blanket accusation that anyone who is pro-nuclear is anti-green. Do you have an example of someone who is "anti-green", because I don't think I've come across many like that in this thread?

Ardennes posted:

That said, since SA has gone pretty right-wing, a lot of threads have.

Ah yes, D&D is basically Freep, as we all know

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 8, 2014

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Perhaps a better way for you to express what you're getting at would be to suggest that some people are pro nuclear but believe that renewables are presently inviable for base load or substantial load following capacity generation? Anti-green seems like an over road and misleading moniker in this context.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

crabcakes66 posted:

I think he's including in that anyone skeptical of green technology being able to fully replace all other forms of power generation.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ardennes posted:

The only thing I've seen even close to this is people arguing against zealots who insist the entire electric generation load can be carried by solar and wind.

This is not mathematically possible. Carbon-free electricity generation has to include a fair amount of nuclear. We should certainly exploit solar and wind sources as much as possible, but nuclear has to be in there as well.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Kaal posted:

It seems more like you're just making a blanket accusation that anyone who is pro-nuclear is anti-green. Do you have an example of someone who is "anti-green", because I don't think I've come across many like that in this thread?

I am going from page 6 to 10 and I have already seen some examples. If someone refers to "rabid greenies" then they probably don't have a high regard for an alternative solution. It has always been a echo chamber in here, scroll through the thread from the beginning.

If anything the lack of acknowledgement of it is sort of the proof in the pudding situation.

quote:

The only thing I've seen even close to this is people arguing against zealots who insist the entire electric generation load can be carried by solar and wind.

This is not mathematically possible. Carbon-free electricity generation has to include a fair amount of nuclear. We should certainly exploit solar and wind sources as much as possible, but nuclear has to be in there as well.

The discussion has always been about minimizing investment in wind into as little as possible because of the "peak" generation issue.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
For what it's worth, I don't really think it's useful to lump "green" together. My layman's impression is that there is a clear hierarchy with solar near the top (because the peaking issues are a lot more manageable) and biofuels near the bottom because they are a really terrible and wasteful idea all around, but I'm just some dumb rear end in a top hat reading stuff on the Internet so I might be wrong. Even if the current generation of solar isn't ready to step in as a grid replacement, it's a great way to increase efficiency at the consumer scale.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ardennes posted:

I am going from page 6 to 10 and I have already seen some examples. If someone refers to "rabid greenies" then they probably don't have a high regard for an alternative solution. It has always been a echo chamber in here, scroll through the thread from the beginning.

If anything the lack of acknowledgement of it is sort of the proof in the pudding situation.

The discussion has always been about minimizing investment in wind into as little as possible because of the "peak" generation issue.

I have a truly marvelous demonstration of this proposition which this post is too small to contain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

I have a truly marvelous demonstration of this proposition which this post is too small to contain.

Great!

Anyway, one thing I have noticed in this thread is the expectation for green technologies (and the reason they should be dismissed) is that they are expected to "fix" the issue. For example Fishmech citing how many solar panels it would take to take care of the energy generation of the US, reductio ab absurdum.

That said, I am out of a limb because I think anyone lurking who hasn't bought into this thread has left a long time ago but the "meta"-discussion of reducing the thread to "moderates" and "crazed environmentalists" is way too much.

That said, enviromentalists and hippies seem to be the prime enemy of D&D at the moment.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 8, 2014