Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Is there any official confirmation that this manga/show name was inspired by Muse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It probably was not and I hope not for many reasons.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I'm not really sure why I decided to watch this over the weekend (I haven't watched any anime in years) but I'm glad I did.

How fanservicey is the manga? I'd love to explore the world more but the whole "ha ha the protagonist accidentally peeped/groped another girl how funny" thing is what drove me away from anime in the first place.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

YorexTheMad posted:

I'm not really sure why I decided to watch this over the weekend (I haven't watched any anime in years) but I'm glad I did.

How fanservicey is the manga? I'd love to explore the world more but the whole "ha ha the protagonist accidentally peeped/groped another girl how funny" thing is what drove me away from anime in the first place.

All of those incidents occur in the manga as well. So if you thought they came up too often in the anime, you'll certainly feel that way about the manga.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
On the other hand they don't happen nearly as much as some other anime, plus you get piss filtration with KoS.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

If anything you should check out the manga if you'd enjoyed the space battles since that episode with the mission montage is played out in its entirely since they had to speed the plot up to fit the finale within the 12th episode.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I forgot to also mention the dub is great. There's some weird pauses in inflection here and there and the localization uses "Crimson Hawk Moth" in place of Benisuzume (presumably a literal translation) which may throw you off a little but they picked a good cast and the voices fit well.

Also they pronounce "Higgs" as "hay-gis" and I'm not sure why.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zeether posted:

The Sidonia's outer shell is actually a sheep's stomach, the whole thing runs on Haggis particles.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

The Sidonia's outer shell is actually a sheep's stomach, the whole thing runs on Haggis particles.
The weird lump on it reminded me of the asteroid attached to the bottom of the Red Dwarf.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Wait, Higgs? Netflix subs say Heigus and actually that's something that really bugs me coming from the manga. Same with ena over placenta.

e: poo poo they pulled some decent talent for this dub too, and thank fuuuck no Liam O'Brien!

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I just started watching this show a few hours ago on Netflix, and....drat

The animation was really grating for the first few episodes, but I got used to it pretty quick. It's halfway generic mecha kind of show, but around episode 7~8 it starts to get pretty interesting. 10+ has really had me hooked with a nonstop hype train, and I'm pretty glad I wasted my whole night on this show. The animation REALLY shines in combat segments.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Finished watching this and I really liked it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zeether posted:

Japanese is bad at guttural sounds and syllables.

lakp
Dec 30, 2012
ヒッグス粒子 (Higgs Boson)
ヘイグス粒子 (Hyggs/Heigus/Heigs Particle)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

lakp posted:

ヒッグス粒子 (Higgs Boson)
ヘイグス粒子 (Hyggs/Heigus/Heigs Particle)
Decoding the katakana for everyone else:
- ヒッグス粒子 "Higgs" is pronounced with a "he" like "he's got a space harem", followed by a more-or-less correct "gz" at the end.
- ヘイグス粒子 The show pronounces it this way in Japanese, which does sound like "heygz" instead.

As for "en" instead of placenta, well, maybe the translators got a bit lazy or took some liberty. "Ena" is the Japanese word for placenta, which is what's used in the original JP writing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The science in the show has been pretty good in places. Should I be thinking about how organic creatures can be the size of warships and live in intergalactic space?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nebakenezzer posted:

The science in the show has been pretty good in places. Should I be thinking about how organic creatures can be the size of warships and live in intergalactic space?

If you think about that, you also have to think about how an organic creature can survive being shot directly by a mass driver large enough to disintegrate an asteroid or how one can survive being in the heart of a gas giant as that gas giant implodes from the force of a planet killing warhead.

Basically anything human in the show has a vague grounding of pseudoscience and anything gauna related is spooky and weird and impossible.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Here's what you need to know about the science in the show:

Who gives a poo poo? It's a tv show.

There you go.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Black Stones posted:

There you go.

True enough, but I think enough effort was put into the Gauna making even less sense than normal SF logic, that it could be considered a specific narrative intent.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

True enough, but I think enough effort was put into the Gauna making even less sense than normal SF logic, that it could be considered a specific narrative intent.

That's what I was getting at. There's a deliberate contrast between the human technology being at least superficially grounded in our understanding of physics and technology and the fact that the gauna very deliberately don't make any loving sense as an intentional way to make the gauna come off as even weirder and more incomprehensible.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Blew through this over the long weekend. Was not bothered at all by the cheap looking CG, thanks to the extremely interesting story and great action scenes. Seriously, that death star run in the last two episodes was some of the best action I've seen in an anime, ever.

That said, I really hope they throttle back on the romance stuff. It's insanely uninteresting, especially when the majority of the main character's responses are "huh?" and [nervous].

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

threeagainstfour posted:

That said, I really hope they throttle back on the romance stuff. It's insanely uninteresting, especially when the majority of the main character's responses are "huh?" and [nervous].

You don't actually want to watch this show. Maybe try Attack on Titan instead.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You don't actually want to watch this show. Maybe try Attack on Titan instead.

I mean, if the manga or season 2 take it to a more interesting place, then the romance will be good in the end. The romance in season 1, on its own, is pretty bland.

I'll stick with it because the story and setting are very well done so far.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

threeagainstfour posted:

I mean, if the manga or season 2 take it to a more interesting place, then the romance will be good in the end. The romance in season 1, on its own, is pretty bland.

I'll stick with it because the story and setting are very well done so far.

Oh, does it ever take the "romance" to a more interesting place. Hint: you're not supposed to take the romance stuff seriously at all, it just a little bit of fun/levity in an otherwise bleak series. Izana will pout, Midorikawa is going to be bossy, the best girl is going to be the best girl, etc.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Besides, watching Izana just get increasingly screwed is pretty funny even though s/he's a cool guy/girl.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
gauna are made out of the exact same material titans are made from

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Black Stones posted:

There you go.

This is pretty much what I figured - though I think "the Gauna make no sense as a deliberate choice in writing" is a cool idea.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

One of my friends had the gall to question the logic and physics behind the rocket punch holding a bullet. He hasn't seen too many mecha series.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's funny that the mechs have a never used rocket punch that everyone else kind of forgot about.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The current ones probably don't. Remember Tanikaze uses an obsolete model because it's what he spent his entire life training on in the old simulator.

Some engineer who argued rocket punches were impractical and ridiculous in real combat really has egg on his face now. :colbert:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Sindai posted:

The current ones probably don't. Remember Tanikaze uses an obsolete model because it's what he spent his entire life training on in the old simulator.

Some engineer who argued rocket punches were impractical and ridiculous in real combat really has egg on his face now. :colbert:

The only reason he could take on the Red Gauna was because his mech has an anti-higgs coating, which was deemed too expensive to install on new models because gauna rarely used beam weapons.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I like this show. First and foremost, nobody had eyes that turned into hearts, or a bubble out their nose when sleeping or giant beads of sweat.

It had some great things going for it, in particular the captain wearing that mask while on the bridge which I presume was to keep her emotions hidden.

There are some great storytelling choices too. It was pretty awesome that the made a point to introduce some pilot in episode two, give her a heartwarming backstory only for her to be eaten. That really drives home the point that probably nobody other than the main guy will have plot armour.

On the downside, it is a bit brisk at times and intriguing things seem to be left by the wayside. Like, why is that woman a bear? With a robot hand. How come they could put a woman inside a bear, but couldn't regrow her hand/paw?

The mix of technologies they need to fight the terrible creatures from space is really interesting. When they talk about the mass cannon, I figured it was some sort of dense particle technobabble nonsense, but nope! It's a giant cylinder - literally a bunch of mass. The murder spears are a bit silly, but it forces the robots and space monsters to be up close and that is more interesting than lobbing the wonder bullets from dozens of kilometers away.

The animation was what it was. The characters look considerably better head on than they do from the side. The only thing that really bothered me was the heavy reuse of some of the mech bits, particularly the four link formation. Considering cost-cutting measures like that, it is weird that all those fish were animated to swim around in the sea for like, a three or four minutes total out of the 12 episodes. Maybe they blew the budget tweaking the whale shark only to have it just faintly in the background.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I finished the run that's on Netflix.

It's a more or less an entertaining show, but kinda uneven. While I'm into the space fighting and scifi intrigue, a lot of stuff makes me roll my eyes like Sonic is spindashing inside of my head, mostly things having to do with dippy anime teenagers. Granted, it's not treated as particularly important and it's not so egregious that it makes the show unlikeable... but Tanikaze is a huge dumbass. I guess growing up in relative isolation might make you a little awkward around people, but this dude is basically the mid point between Shinji and Goku. Then there's Hoshijiro going from one kind of annoying anime stock character and then becoming a far worse one...

Plus the show is ugly... but yeah, it might seem like I'm being overly negative, but on the whole I enjoy it. I guess it's a show with problems, none of which are nasty enough to derail it. Is the manga really far along enough for the second season to work, though? Although I guess it all depends on when they intend to air it...

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

OnimaruXLR posted:

I guess growing up in relative isolation might make you a little awkward around people
That's kind of a huge understatement. Realistically, he should be way, way weirder than he is.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Like, why is that woman a bear? With a robot hand. How come they could put a woman inside a bear, but couldn't regrow her hand/paw?
The reason she's a bear is because Season 1 wasn't long enough to get to her back story. :)

quote:

Is the manga really far along enough for the second season to work, though? Although I guess it all depends on when they intend to air it...
Manga's definitely far along enough, I'd say, and if not things seem planned well enough that the author can plot ahead with the show directors.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
deleted

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Antifreeze Head posted:

It had some great things going for it, in particular the captain wearing that mask while on the bridge which I presume was to keep her emotions hidden.

There are some great storytelling choices too. It was pretty awesome that the made a point to introduce some pilot in episode two, give her a heartwarming backstory only for her to be eaten. That really drives home the point that probably nobody other than the main guy will have plot armour.

On the downside, it is a bit brisk at times and intriguing things seem to be left by the wayside. Like, why is that woman a bear? With a robot hand. How come they could put a woman inside a bear, but couldn't regrow her hand/paw?

That's part of the reason the Captain wears a mask. The other (real) reason is she's immortal and nobody outside of the immortal council are supposed to know that there are immortals on Sidonia. A highly visible and important figure like the captain of the entire ship never visibly aging would raise questions.

The interesting thing is that the show spent a lot more time on that character and Tanikaze's reaction to her than the manga did, which I thought was a pretty good choice.

Hiyama(bear lady)'s story is explored later in the manga beyond where the show got.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I finished the run that's on Netflix.

It's a more or less an entertaining show, but kinda uneven. While I'm into the space fighting and scifi intrigue, a lot of stuff makes me roll my eyes like Sonic is spindashing inside of my head, mostly things having to do with dippy anime teenagers. Granted, it's not treated as particularly important and it's not so egregious that it makes the show unlikeable... but Tanikaze is a huge dumbass. I guess growing up in relative isolation might make you a little awkward around people, but this dude is basically the mid point between Shinji and Goku. Then there's Hoshijiro going from one kind of annoying anime stock character and then becoming a far worse one...

Plus the show is ugly... but yeah, it might seem like I'm being overly negative, but on the whole I enjoy it. I guess it's a show with problems, none of which are nasty enough to derail it. Is the manga really far along enough for the second season to work, though? Although I guess it all depends on when they intend to air it...

Tanikaze grew up in a hole in the ground living off garbage and spending all of his time learning how to pilot giant robots in simulators. His only human contact was his grandfather who died several years ago. Forget being awkward and obtuse, he should be unable to communicate properly with other human beings or understand gestures or read context or basically anything we learn how to do simply from interacting with people as kids. It's actually implausible that he's as together and socially conscious as he is.

As for whether they have enough material, the first season cut out a metric shitload of chapters(the entire montage ep), so if they feel like they're going to run short of material they can simply slow the pacing down.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Kanos posted:

That's part of the reason the Captain wears a mask. The other (real) reason is she's immortal and nobody outside of the immortal council are supposed to know that there are immortals on Sidonia. A highly visible and important figure like the captain of the entire ship never visibly aging would raise questions.

The interesting thing is that the show spent a lot more time on that character and Tanikaze's reaction to her than the manga did, which I thought was a pretty good choice.

Hiyama(bear lady)'s story is explored later in the manga beyond where the show got.

Don't several people other than those in the iron lungs see her without the mask at some point anyway? I know Takikaze does, but I could be misremembering. Even if not, a mask isn't enough to keep people from noticing someone was aging.

For the amount they use the news as a means to fill in backstory and expand on events, it seems strange that nobody in the press corps has managed to dig up anything that significant. :argh: MY PROFESSION :argh:

Anyway, I guess I can look forward to some of those mysteries being delved into a little bit more, particularly if the show will need to be slowed down to match up with the print version of the story.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 11, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

Don't several people other than those in the iron lungs see her without the mask at some point anyway? I know Takikaze does, but I could be misremembering. Even if not, a mask isn't enough to keep people from noticing someone was aging.

For the amount they use the news as a means to fill in backstory and expand on events, it seems strange that nobody in the press corps has managed to dig up anything that significant. :argh: MY PROFESSION :argh:

All indications suggest that news on Sidonia is a state-controlled propaganda tool. Don't expect much investigative journalism here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

For the amount they use the news as a means to fill in backstory and expand on events, it seems strange that nobody in the press corps has managed to dig up anything that significant. :argh" MY PROFESSION :argh:

You remember that guy waving a signpost around and shouting?

He's doing his best, okay? :smith:

• Locked thread