Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Drakkel posted:

Today I start a new part time job after being unemployed for 2 months. I'm happy to have income, but I'm not very happy with it being a night-shift job and I'm pretty sure it won't pay enough to cover my living expenses. I guess small steps are important?
Congrats, small steps are very important! They're actually exactly what this thread is about! I hope something more to your liking comes up as a result of this gig you've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Ever since I started budgeting my money better by using YNAB, and living on last months pay checks, I've stopped noticing what day payday is. I used to always know exactly how many days it was until payday, because I was living paycheck to paycheck and needed the money right away. The last few paydays I've received my pay stub at work and thought "Oh yeah, payday today. Huh."

It's a weird feeling, but I like it.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Drakkel posted:

Today I start a new part time job after being unemployed for 2 months. I'm happy to have income, but I'm not very happy with it being a night-shift job and I'm pretty sure it won't pay enough to cover my living expenses. I guess small steps are important?

They absolutely are. The vast majority of new hires are from existing positions. Hang in there and use it as leverage in a couple weeks/months.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Today I finished paying off my student loans. $17,500 or so over three years. Now I'm going to take the money I was using to pay my loan off every month and throw it into my savings and watch that grow.

:feelsgood:

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Hospital Bill: Paid Off! Managed to get 25% off the remaining balance by paying in full, and since we've been using YNAB and she started her job we've actually had the money laying around to pay it off.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
At my employer (an enormous company) we have annual review cycles where they rank you according to criteria and give raises. I also got a promotion, switching jobs in the company this year.

I just got my annual review results in, and got the highest possible rating (5-10% of the entire company), and a total of 33% raise compared to last year :stare: And I was already pretty well compensated. I've been out of undergrad for 18 months, and I'm earning more this year than both my parents combined.

And the company is probably going to pay for my MBA (up to $50k). :dance:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Just got a 16% raise. I'm pretty happy.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
I started a Roth IRA! I was really divided about whether I should fund one for 2013 because I'm still paying student loans at relatively high rates (6.8%), but I'm still on track to finish paying them off this year, and while it makes me nervous to have less liquid cash, I know it was the right decision.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
Woohoo, one less monthly payment.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

OneWhoKnows posted:

Woohoo, one less monthly payment.

Sweet!

Was that your biggest debt or close to it? Are you debt free/about debt free now?

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Sweet!

Was that your biggest debt or close to it? Are you debt free/about debt free now?

It was! We just sold our house as well, so there's no mortgage for the next 3-4 months and we're currently shacked up with my inlaws. As luck would have it, I get along great with them.

Also, in the finance goals for 2014, I said:

OneWhoKnows posted:

We have one main goal:

Have $75,000 for a down payment on a farm we want to buy by July. We're going to cut it close!
We're roughly $12,000 away from our goal and with the house sold sooner than expected (on the market to close in 34 days!) We'll have hit our goal by May/June. So far so good...

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Bumping this old thread to announce that for the first time ever we have broken the $10,000 in the bank mark!

Granted, $5k of that is earmarked for our wedding and we'll drop below $10,000 once some bills get paid but this is the first time I've ever seen that much money sitting in our accounts.

:feelsgood:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Officially 5 months ahead on car payments! Woo.

38 more months to go. :smithicide:

Though that still puts me at 46 total payments instead of 63 if I stay on track. Not bad I guess!

I will make a couple larger payments so it will be closer to 40 payments, hopefully.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Still have a ways to go, but creating a monthly budget and sticking to it has helped me make some significant progress in paying down debts and saving for my future. With a three paycheck month coming up in July, I'm hoping to pay off one of my student loans and begin chipping away at others.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 4, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
After working two months at a job that pays more than retail, I have finally reached step 1 and got $1000 set aside in savings. Next goal is to get a deposit + 1 month rent to move into my own place, depending on whether I get brought on permanently at my job.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sold my car today so I got an extra $1800 to play around with. Granted a bought a new car so not really ahead. Glad to not have 3 cars for 2 people though.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Still have a ways to go, but creating a monthly budget and sticking to it has helped me make some significant progress in paying down debts and saving for my future. With a three paycheck month coming up in July, I'm hoping to pay off one of my student loans and begin chipping away at others.

What app or website are these images from?

We went from saving around 40% of our take home pay, to finding and reading a lot of the Mister Money Mustache blog and have since upped it to 65%. I'm nearly done with my student loan, between 1.5-3 years away from owning our home outright (depending on upcoming jobs) and have 20k in our emergency fund (which we don't want to invest just yet for boring reasons).

I also took the prompting to dig out all the older stuff I never use before and sell them on our nations Craigslist equivalent, netting a nice 1,800 USD from stuff that was gathering rust/dust, with a few higher ticket items still for sale. Going to pour all of that straight into the mortgage. We also went around turning down radiators and not leaving both our PCs running 24/7.

AND taking up a local website's offer to write a monthly cooking column for an extra 50 bux a month. Not a huge chunk, but something on the side about something I enjoy a lot.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

poopinmymouth posted:

What app or website are these images from?
The first one is the Net Worth report in YNAB.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The first one is the Net Worth report in YNAB.

Yup. Second one is from my credit unions website, but if you sign up with internet banking with them, they basically set you up with a credit karma account. I'm not sure if that's what it looks like when you sign in directly through credit karma's website, however.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Gonna hit $25k in retirement funds this week! :homebrew:

I'm just about to turn 28, so I don't know if that's a good amount or not, but I'm pretty stoked. I started putting in retirement in 2008/2009 when the poo poo was going down so it took awhile to recover.

Yay me!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

spinst posted:

I'm just about to turn 28, so I don't know if that's a good amount or not, but I'm pretty stoked. I started putting in retirement in 2008/2009 when the poo poo was going down so it took awhile to recover.

Yay me!

I've never had more than a thousand dollars to my name in my life and I'm 26, so yeah!

So for my improvement, I'm soon moving into a cheaper place!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

spinst posted:

Yay me!

According to this website http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-20/the-financial-planning-flowchart you should have half your yearly salary saved by the time you are 30. Depending on how much you make, you're probably pretty close.

It's easier to save when you're young and don't have a family. I'd recommend saving 12-15% of your gross income now and learn how to live on the remainder. This will help you be more frugal while also helping to improve your standard of living once you do retire.

Edit: for myself, I just looked and between my 401k and my Roth, I have over $100K saved.
:eyepop: Wow, it's hard to believe I've been working for over a decade at my current company.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 27, 2014

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Nocheez posted:

According to this website http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-20/the-financial-planning-flowchart you should have half your yearly salary saved by the time you are 30. Depending on how much you make, you're probably pretty close.

It's easier to save when you're young and don't have a family. I'd recommend saving 12-15% of your gross income now and learn how to live on the remainder. This will help you be more frugal while also helping to improve your standard of living once you do retire.

Edit: for myself, I just looked and between my 401k and my Roth, I have over $100K saved.
:eyepop: Wow, it's hard to believe I've been working for over a decade at my current company.

I definitely have over half my yearly salary. Score! I am a poor teacher, so my salary isn't great, but the benefits certainly are. Plus, pension eventually!

I put 10% gross into my 401(a) and then stick an extra $100 into a Roth IRA. Which puts me right around 13%.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Man I can't wait until I can afford to save that much. Paying 40% of my net income towards aggressively paying down student loans doesn't leave much for savings.

At this rate I'll have it paid off in. gently caress, seven years? I really need to raise my income.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Opened a Roth IRA and got my student loan down to $5k. I'm so proud.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Under 15k left on the car! July's payment will officially put me six months ahead, which was the goal for the end of the year. So, that's good. I guess. Stupid car!

:yaycloud:

spinst fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 2, 2014

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I upped my 401k contribution today. :woop:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

:woop:

Happy early 27th birthday to me.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

:woop:

Happy early 27th birthday to me.
:stare:

Seriously, good job.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea that's really really awesome. You should be proud, Guinness!

I have a weird milestone incremental improvement. Just a few weeks ago my checking/savings + retirement accounts have a larger balance than my mortgage, so in quicken I'm finally seeing a black number instead of a red one. This isn't taking any equity in our home into account, so it's more like a (semi)liquid net worth.

Since someone is going to ask - Money market = Savings. Christmas Shares = Car/Life insurance, home heating expenses, etc. Regular shares = Car maintenance / repair

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My brother sent me a text with a picture of Mint earlier this year where his net worth was like a dollar with the caption "I'm finally worth nothing!"

It's gotta be a good feeling, someday I'll get to have it. :sigh:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My brother sent me a text with a picture of Mint earlier this year where his net worth was like a dollar with the caption "I'm finally worth nothing!"

It's gotta be a good feeling, someday I'll get to have it. :sigh:

I long for this day.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Have been bouncing around a lot these past few years, but it is looking like it will all come together soon. 26 years old, left my lovely inner city job last year to join the Peace Corps. Will return home in about 9 months and hopefully secure a federal job. Really excited to finally start a career where I can start climbing the ladder.

Took all the money I had saved while teaching and invested it into some blue chip stocks. Now have a good amount of money that will go towards a down payment for a house in 4-5 years. No retirement savings yet, so will have to focus on that once I start working a real job again.

Something Awful has been great. Got me into blogging for bucks and interested in self publishing on Amazon. Have plenty of free time in the Peace Corps so might as well focus on improving my writing and possibly making a little extra money.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Speaking of self-publishing, talked with my boss about leaving to become a full-time author. He was excited for me and told me I had a job waiting for me anytime. aw yeah.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The last year or so has also been a bunch of huge gains for me--more than incremental like the thread title says, but still:
  • As I posted in May of last year, my coworker/friend of mine had a car loan out from me. He and his wife paid me off one month early on it
  • Same coworker found me a good deal on Newegg for a cable modem to avoid a monthly rental fee to Time Warner Cable
  • I got a modest raise about two months ago
  • I divested myself of most of my company stock last year and moved that money to safer diversified investments at Vanguard
  • I went from hitting my employer's max 401(k) match to maxing my personal contribution this year
  • I've resumed Roth IRA last year 2013 and am maxing that too (hadn't contributed anything to it in almost 10 years)
  • I'm currently pricing out car insurance changes to save myself a couple hundred per year.
  • The above insurance change will help offset the rising cost maid service from a college friend - I'll be doubling the frequency of her visits now, which helps keep the house cleaner and me less stressed. And it makes me a job creator!
  • For a family reunion / grandma's 90th birthday in India this year, my parents offered to pay for my plane ticket since this one's a big deal. Can't argue with that!
  • Mint says that my net worth had essentially doubled over the last 3 years to be about 2.5x my current gross income -- granted, this is largely due to great growth in the overall stock market over this period, but I didn't realize that even two years ago I was saving as much as I was back then, and I'm saving even more now.
So with financial stuff in order, my goal now is to get in better shape than I was at 20 when I hit 30 this year. Unfortunately due to past me's habits, it won't be as difficult as it sounds. I probably won't end up as light in terms of weight, but I'm fairly sure I'll have a lower BF % and be more athletic than back then if I can keep my current trends going.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Being a penny pincher and money saver since before having a job is paying off. I work retail and will be for the foreseeable future, so I'm quite aware that I need to be smart about my finances.

At 31 years old I have:
- 3½ year old car paid off (at time of purchase) and was bought brand new, so it'll be good for at least another 5 years
- Owned a house for 3 years and paid off 25½ years blowing through my savings
- Planned to pay off mortgage within 3 years
- Already wasted close to $20k in interest, but will probably only pay $25k total which is good compared to the $120k I would have paid if I did the 30 year minimum.

Other thoughts:
- Going to save $15/mo on trash disposal service, due to switching services. Accidentally missed payment with last service company, not only did they want a late fee, they wanted a reactivation fee even though I had no prior issues for 3 years. Screw that, so I called a competing service and found out I was being ripped off for 3 years.

In the near future goals:
- Finally start a retirement account :(. My employer doesn't contribute anything to 401(k), so I instead focused on reducing my mortgage interest. Now that it's down to low 100s, I can feel comfortable that I'm not hemorrhaging money. I'll likely contribute the max amount that I can to make up from not starting one earlier.

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
Just hit 200k net worth at age 29 (married and wife works). I'm on track for 1 million by 40!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Velochis posted:

Just hit 200k net worth at age 29 (married and wife works). I'm on track for 1 million by 40!

Are you never having kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I just got a new job as a lead tech or whatever they called it, it's actually one of those jack of all trades jobs that small places like to do but I do have a revolving door of minions. It does not pay a whole lot more since it's government, but now I get to use servers. It will give me a lot of needed experience.