Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think you're going to piss someone off no matter what, because of your mistake in accepting both positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The obvious answer is to turn your life into a hilarious Jim Carrey movie and work both jobs until somehow you get outed and learn a valuable lesson and also get promoted.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Any chance that you could play it off as a misunderstanding? Thanks for giving me the chance to consider your offer, I really appreciate it but I have to decline. Sorry.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
The honest thing to do would be explain your mistake and tell them you're still leaving.

The opportunist thing to do would be to say that the new company counter-offered with a higher salary. Either way is a win

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ZetsurinPower posted:

The opportunist thing to do would be to say that the new company counter-offered with a higher salary. Either way is a win

Yeah, you could do that and say, "look, I'm really uncomfortable with offers going back and forth like this, someone is going to be mad either way and even if I stay I'll be seen as someone who's looking for the first chance to jump ship. Sorry. It'll be better for everybody if I go with the other offer."

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
This is a band-aid situation. Just get it over with as soon as possible.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I have nightmares about people like you. Make a commitment and stick to it!

Counter offers are almost NEVER worth going back. You are leaving for a reason and you got a good offer. AND you ACCEPTED IT.

"I'm sorry, but after carefully considering both my options, I feel this is the best course for me and I thank you for the opportunity and the generous offer."

Leave with your head held high. You didn't do anything wrong, short of being excessively goony. It's your career.

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 7, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I did. They expect me to call up the the other company and cancel.

You don't have to explain anything, and it's probably not a good idea to go through the List Of Reasons Why You Shouldn't Accept A Counter Offer either (it might insult them). Just tell them, be polite and thankful for the work up until this point.

"I've reconsidered and I will be departing on the date I originally stated. I really appreciate the opportunities you have provided me at this company. If you like we can sit down and come up with a transition plan for my remaining time here (documenting any poo poo that you might need to, reassigning tickets, whatever else might ease the company into your absence)."

You should modify that to suit the way you speak, of course. And yeah, it's your life, career, and choice. You're under no obligation to stay.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Unless the counter-offer is truly outrageous, don't ever take it.

Like, if they came back with "Okay we will triple your pay and the CTO will give you a handjob once a quarter" then maybe you stay. But if you hated it before, you will still hate it for triple the money, you'll just have more money, and they likely won't be looking to promote you or invest in you, because they think you want to leave. Worst case scenario, they're just viewing the extra money as a way to buy time to find your replacement.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

the spyder posted:

Do you work in downtown? Let me know if you want to grab a drink some time with Countofnowhere and myself if so.

Sorry for the last response on this, but yea, I'm downtown for work a couple of days a week, usually on Tuesday and Thursday. Wouldn't mind doing a happy hour some time.

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
Alright, after a week of waiting I have an interview.

Time to kick some rear end.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

NippleFloss posted:

Sorry for the last response on this, but yea, I'm downtown for work a couple of days a week, usually on Tuesday and Thursday. Wouldn't mind doing a happy hour some time.

Send me an email- marc.heynderickx @ gmail.com

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

I had the talk with my management and let them know that I wouldn't take the counteroffer. Might be a little awkward for the next couple of weeks, but at least I can get back to celebrating the new job. Thank you goons for the advice and for letting me off easy on the ribbing.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
As a single dude making 28k a year in a NOC, what's the minimum kind of salary would be worth moving to another state for? I've never actually know the costs and requirements to actually move out of state for a job. :smith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Umbreon posted:

As a single dude making 28k a year in a NOC, what's the minimum kind of salary would be worth moving to another state for? I've never actually know the costs and requirements to actually move out of state for a job. :smith:

Texas that job would be 40-55k in dfw.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Umbreon posted:

Where the hell do you live/work?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
North Carolina.

See my previous post for more details. It's a terrible, terrible place to work, but it is my first job and I'm getting lots of experience there.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Umbreon posted:

North Carolina.

See my previous post for more details. It's a terrible, terrible place to work, but it is my first job and I'm getting lots of experience there.

Pretty sure Cisco has a big office near Raleigh that does the mail spam filter company they bought. Don't recall the name off hand.

And yes. Go quickly. Anywhere.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'd also add A+ as a "required" skill, plus 1-3 years of previous desktop support and/or helpdesk experience.

What is your pay range if you don't mind stating? That will give us a better clue how much experience you're looking for.

It's a Chinese company, and the pay is negotiable. (also known as poo poo by American standards)

I'm not going to have an easy time looking for someone qualified here, and the company refuses to bring someone in from overseas...

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

angus725 posted:

It's a Chinese company, and the pay is negotiable. (also known as poo poo by American standards)

I'm not going to have an easy time looking for someone qualified here, and the company refuses to bring someone in from overseas...

Ha! I re-iterate my A+ stance but have decided to lower the experience to 0-2 years, plus it sounds like they want someone in the $30-35k range with $70-75k range skills.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Ha! I re-iterate my A+ stance but have decided to lower the experience to 0-2 years, plus it sounds like they want someone in the $30-35k range with $70-75k range skills.

Closer to $15k-30k USD a year wage...Chinese wages are abysmal.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So I had a phone interview with a place that I found through a recruiter, it went well and they want me to come in for an in-person interview. Great.

Then they send me something to fill out. Oh, ok, it's probably just some boilerplate stuff or something. Oh, it's a Word document not setup to be a fillable form that is asking for...everything on my resume/was discussed on the phone. Plus my SSN. Plus my high school GPA. Plus my SAT score.

I uh, I don't think I'm going to fill this out.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Inspector_666 posted:

So I had a phone interview with a place that I found through a recruiter, it went well and they want me to come in for an in-person interview. Great.

Then they send me something to fill out. Oh, ok, it's probably just some boilerplate stuff or something. Oh, it's a Word document not setup to be a fillable form that is asking for...everything on my resume/was discussed on the phone. Plus my SSN. Plus my high school GPA. Plus my SAT score.

That screams entry level or a horribly out dated and generic employment form. Either way, probably not a good sign.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I'd basically not get my hopes up at that point and treat the interview purely as an opportunity for practice. But you never know, it could be something silly like "Oops, HR sent the form for the interns, sorry about that, you don't have to fill that out."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inspector_666 posted:

Wow. Too bad that isn't a telephone interview. You could use that as an opportunity to laugh them off the phone. Maybe if I already had the day off and I wanted something to do. I just want to look someone in the eye and ask the oh so important question "What kind of simpleton wants to know my high school gpa?" just to see the expression of their face.

Edit* Yeah, that would make more sense if that was a form for interns. Also, who here still even has their high school GPA records? Sounds like an opportunity to write "4.0" or whatever you feel like that day.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 8, 2014

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

jaegerx posted:

Pretty sure Cisco has a big office near Raleigh that does the mail spam filter company they bought. Don't recall the name off hand.

And yes. Go quickly. Anywhere.

I do want to go somewhere yes. I'm just asking what a good salary is to shoot for that will let me comfortably cover moving expenses and finding a new place to live in and probably furnish.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mayodreams posted:

That screams entry level or a horribly out dated and generic employment form. Either way, probably not a good sign.

I just noticed that one of the fields is "How was your education financed?" which is kind of outright insulting.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Almost as insulting as the glib response, "money."

I don't know, I understand that HR people are just people, so they're fallible too. These forms are often created by relatively junior employees, and I know very few 25 year olds who I'd consider smart anymore. But god almighty, some of the poo poo they ask for.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I mentioned this in the ticket thread but my question seems to best fit here. I just accepted a lead tech position which is also a sys admin position. Our network admin will be helping out getting AD setup because it does not exist at the location and he will be giving as much help as he is allowed. The job I'm taking is within the same organization I am currently in so he can
provide a lot of help.

As legends have foretold the IT department where I'm going was run by a stereotypical IT jerk that somehow managed to last many years in the position. He kept everything secret, constantly put people off with his attitude, and had no ticketing system. There is an IT assistant but IT is not their only job unfortunantly.

My plan of action going in is as follows, have I missed anything important? Should there be something I should not be doing? Once I actually start there I will have more to go on instead of hearsay and conjecture.

1. Install Spiceworks on something so we can make tickets until we decide if we want to stick with it or go with our in-house ticket system. The in-house one does not support queues so I would be adding a good 200 users to it and make every bodies email blow up.

2. If the assistant is not in or unable to work through the existing workload I will help him out before doing anything else. I want gather inventory during this time if the inventory controllers list does not match ours.

3. Find out which terrible imaging software they are using, laugh if it costs money and switch to MDT. Also implement a PXE server if one does not exist.

4. Find out from the network admin what the plans were for AD and VMware. Although I can find this out before I go over.

5. Post about all the terrible things I've found in the bitching thread.

Edit: Somewhere in there I will be documenting the poo poo out of our stuff. Also, I found somebody asking the same question on another forum from 4 years ago! http://www.edugeek.net/forums/how-do-you-do/67737-your-first-day-system-administrator.html God drat I'm dumb, talking with other people and my boss should be on my list, so that's in there too.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 8, 2014

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Not sure if this would belong here or in the BFC sub-forum, but I could use all the advice I can get, so here goes.

I've been working at Fed-Ex for the last 5 years; basically my entire career up to this point. I finally decided to do something more interesting and better paying with my life, and started looking into IT since I had played around on computers growing up. I studied and got my A+ cert a little over a month ago in hopes of making the transition, but my situation got more complicated in the mean time.

Long story short, I'm currently unemployed and inexperienced at job hunting. My only attempt with a recruiting agency this far was less than successful; I was misled about the hours and working conditions, and had to back out. It's made me a little suspicious of agencies, but I'm not having much luck elsewhere (CareerBuilder, Chamber of Commerce websites, etc). I've been told that who you know is extremely important, but how am I supposed to know anyone in IT if I can't get in the field to meet them?

Any IT-specific resources out there than can help people break into the field? I'm in the Nashville area and looking for something entry-level like help desk.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

What are the minimum requirements? "Must be able to distinguish left from right"?

Honestly, if I have a phone interview, the next step is either an in-person interview or rejection (or, you know, another phone interview depending on the size and bureaucratic inertia of the organization). A post-interview application is loving ridiculous, and that's the point where I either move on, or if the job is really cool and I think it's just an HR SNAFU, that's the point where I call back and politely ask them to stop jerking me around if they're actually interested.

Especially if it's poo poo that's already been covered. ESPECIALLY if it's poo poo they don't loving need to know (no, I won't give them my SSN before the employment agreement is on the table).

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Canemacar posted:

Not sure if this would belong here or in the BFC sub-forum, but I could use all the advice I can get, so here goes.

I've been working at Fed-Ex for the last 5 years; basically my entire career up to this point. I finally decided to do something more interesting and better paying with my life, and started looking into IT since I had played around on computers growing up. I studied and got my A+ cert a little over a month ago in hopes of making the transition, but my situation got more complicated in the mean time.

Long story short, I'm currently unemployed and inexperienced at job hunting. My only attempt with a recruiting agency this far was less than successful; I was misled about the hours and working conditions, and had to back out. It's made me a little suspicious of agencies, but I'm not having much luck elsewhere (CareerBuilder, Chamber of Commerce websites, etc). I've been told that who you know is extremely important, but how am I supposed to know anyone in IT if I can't get in the field to meet them?

Any IT-specific resources out there than can help people break into the field? I'm in the Nashville area and looking for something entry-level like help desk.

Sup fellow Nashgoon

This thread is just fine.

Have you looked through indeed.com, monster.com, dice.com, etc? I know there are plenty of help desk positions around here. I came here not knowing anybody so don't worry about that part. Have you put together a resume? Does it contain any and all trouble shooting / technical stuff / communication skills from your job?

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Umbreon posted:

North Carolina.

North Carolina is actually one of the best places to work as far as cost of living combined with salary. That's true at least for Charlotte + RDU.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

three posted:

North Carolina is actually one of the best places to work as far as cost of living combined with salary. That's true at least for Charlotte + RDU.

I live in Charlotte, and though my knowledge in this subject is non-existant, I do know that inexpensive new places to live are popping up literally everywhere at a breakneck pace around here. Getting my first job was insanely hard because no one would even look at me without experience, but now that I've broken the catch-22, the amount of decent jobs (for a 25 year old) I can actually apply for and not get laughed out of the interview is shockingly high here in Charlotte.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Shout out for Richmond here. We may not be Charlotte or the triangle as far as the market goes, but cost of living vs salary is awesome here and we are less than 2 hours from DC, the mountains, and the beach! Cap One, Genworth, most of the banks, and the Federal Reserve all have a huge presence here.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Umbreon posted:

I live in Charlotte, and though my knowledge in this subject is non-existant, I do know that inexpensive new places to live are popping up literally everywhere at a breakneck pace around here. Getting my first job was insanely hard because no one would even look at me without experience, but now that I've broken the catch-22, the amount of decent jobs (for a 25 year old) I can actually apply for and not get laughed out of the interview is shockingly high here in Charlotte.

If you get your skillset up, you will have no problem finding work here. Talent is low, demand is medium to high. Get your VCP and you should be able to quadruple your salary.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yaos posted:

I mentioned this in the ticket thread but my question seems to best fit here. I just accepted a lead tech position which is also a sys admin position. Our network admin will be helping out getting AD setup because it does not exist at the location and he will be giving as much help as he is allowed. The job I'm taking is within the same organization I am currently in so he can
provide a lot of help.

As legends have foretold the IT department where I'm going was run by a stereotypical IT jerk that somehow managed to last many years in the position. He kept everything secret, constantly put people off with his attitude, and had no ticketing system. There is an IT assistant but IT is not their only job unfortunantly.

My plan of action going in is as follows, have I missed anything important? Should there be something I should not be doing? Once I actually start there I will have more to go on instead of hearsay and conjecture.

1. Install Spiceworks on something so we can make tickets until we decide if we want to stick with it or go with our in-house ticket system. The in-house one does not support queues so I would be adding a good 200 users to it and make every bodies email blow up.

2. If the assistant is not in or unable to work through the existing workload I will help him out before doing anything else. I want gather inventory during this time if the inventory controllers list does not match ours.

3. Find out which terrible imaging software they are using, laugh if it costs money and switch to MDT. Also implement a PXE server if one does not exist.

4. Find out from the network admin what the plans were for AD and VMware. Although I can find this out before I go over.

5. Post about all the terrible things I've found in the bitching thread.

Edit: Somewhere in there I will be documenting the poo poo out of our stuff. Also, I found somebody asking the same question on another forum from 4 years ago! http://www.edugeek.net/forums/how-do-you-do/67737-your-first-day-system-administrator.html God drat I'm dumb, talking with other people and my boss should be on my list, so that's in there too.

I'd strongly recommend reading Time Management for System Administrators. It's short, you can knock it out over a weekend but it's packed with some really good strategies for handling "I'm coming into a new environment, everything is hosed, and I have minimal help".

Perhaps also The Practice of System and Network Administration although it's getting a bit dated. It goes through some general best practice ideas, some of which you're clearly already aware of. Like the importance of setting up ticketing and system imaging systems rather than doing all that poo poo manually.

Both are more process/advice books than technical, and written by the same guy, Tom Limoncelli of EverythingSysadmin.com.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

three posted:

If you get your skillset up, you will have no problem finding work here. Talent is low, demand is medium to high. Get your VCP and you should be able to quadruple your salary.

Seriously? Is that a "in a few more years of your current job and assuming you grabbed the certs" kind of thing, or is it a "grabs certs and worry about that when you have experience with a real job" type of thing? I was literally hired by Mcdonalds(no one else had a 3rd shift they were hiring for) and was going to report to work that following weekend before my current job interviewed and immediately hired me. Going from minimum wage to being told I'm going to make 28k sounded too good to be true, and you're telling me that I can go from 28k to... gently caress, even double that would be mindblowing. It honestly feels like I'm being trolled or something.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

I'd strongly recommend reading Time Management for System Administrators. It's short, you can knock it out over a weekend but it's packed with some really good strategies for handling "I'm coming into a new environment, everything is hosed, and I have minimal help".

Perhaps also The Practice of System and Network Administration although it's getting a bit dated. It goes through some general best practice ideas, some of which you're clearly already aware of. Like the importance of setting up ticketing and system imaging systems rather than doing all that poo poo manually.

Both are more process/advice books than technical, and written by the same guy, Tom Limoncelli of EverythingSysadmin.com.
Limoncelli/Hogan/Chalup also have a successor coming out (finally!) in two months called The Practice of Cloud System Administration. It's unlikely to tell me anything new at this point, but I'll probably pick it up anyway. The first book was a huge help to my career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

Umbreon posted:

Seriously? Is that a "in a few more years of your current job and assuming you grabbed the certs" kind of thing, or is it a "grabs certs and worry about that when you have experience with a real job" type of thing? I was literally hired by Mcdonalds(no one else had a 3rd shift they were hiring for) and was going to report to work that following weekend before my current job interviewed and immediately hired me. Going from minimum wage to being told I'm going to make 28k sounded too good to be true, and you're telling me that I can go from 28k to... gently caress, even double that would be mindblowing. It honestly feels like I'm being trolled or something.

Here is how your career should go:

Step 1: When you are now, NOC position. Salary: 28k. Stay there 10 months-1 year. Get a cert on your own dime in a path you find interesting, CCNA/RHCSA/MS Cert. This is your foot in the door and kickstart to your career. Grow fast and wild & take in as much as you can experience wise, do a bunch of unfun stuff for the experience.

Step 2: Find a job with a big company (e.g. Time Warner Cable, Chiquita, One of the 100s of Banks) as a medium position with a good title. Salary: ~60k. Stay there 1-2 years. Get a more advanced cert (e.g. VCP, advanced MS Cert, RHCE), see if the company will pay for it as long as they don't have some kind of payback clause. Grow fast and try to narrow your focus (e.g. pick a path of Virtualization, Networking, End User Computer, Cloud, etc), but still do all the other things as you can.

Step 3: Move on to another big company. Salary: ~80k. Become more specialized. This will be your "I am a virtualization admin or I am a Citrix admin or I am a storage admin" role.

Step 4: Do whatever you want, keep moving for more $ or stay where you are if you like the culture.

That's a very reasonable path and very easy to do in Charlotte. ETA: 3-4 years to ~80-100k or more should be really easy if you're passionate, non-lazy, and aren't a sperg.

• Locked thread