Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Shaggar posted:

well thats also true. you should use java and you should never implement your own sort.

in one class i had to write merge sort in scheme :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i have the algos book and a big rear end java book and i gotta read more of both, but seriously gently caress that class

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah thats a lovely way to teach it. if its a common algorithm like quicksort or mergesort they should give you the code and let you step through it to observe the changes it makes.

The point of the exercise is to examine what the algorithm is doing and if you tell people to also write the algorithm they will either learn nothing because they wrote a broken version or they'll just copy an existing implementation anyways.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Shaggar posted:

just copy an existing implementation anyways.

pls dont reveal the secret of my college career

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

yeah thats a lovely way to teach it. if its a common algorithm like quicksort or mergesort they should give you the code and let you step through it to observe the changes it makes.

The point of the exercise is to examine what the algorithm is doing and if you tell people to also write the algorithm they will either learn nothing because they wrote a broken version or they'll just copy an existing implementation anyways.

i am just bitching since the class does reflect this model, i suck at many things at once, and have learned to never start learning multiple things at the same time, which in this case is both java and algorithms.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java is probably the best lang to learn you some algorithms n' data structures because collections is pretty good.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Shaggar posted:

java is probably the best lang to learn you some algorithms n' data structures because collections is pretty good.

yes but the complete opposite

if you make anyone learn anything conceptual with java, they already dont know what they are doing, then they end up on the oracle documentation website, and they will probably quit cs right then and there

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

it's not bad. I'm still not convinced they made the right call having things like Map.get() accept any object instead of typechecking it tho, p sure I've seen more bugs introduced that way than code that relies on equality between objects of different types

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

well thats also true. you should use java and you should never implement your own sort.

what if youre working on the java std library

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MeramJert posted:

what if youre working on the java std library

a bachelor's in CS isn't near enough preparation to work on java collections

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I really like Steven Skienna's book for algos and data structures

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MononcQc posted:

everyone recommended the MIT one, which is surprisingly easy to read, but is gigantic, so i got that one

i also just found that ocw site and will probably make an attempt at that instead of the coursera/princeton one

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

yeah. uc berkeley put up a real good series of lectures on data structures using java

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMV45tHCYNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMV45tHCYNI

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

it's not bad. I'm still not convinced they made the right call having things like Map.get() accept any object instead of typechecking it tho, p sure I've seen more bugs introduced that way than code that relies on equality between objects of different types

yeah thats probably a pre generics backwards compat thing. Its dumb but I've never been tripped up by it before.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Share Bear posted:

everyone recommended the MIT one, which is surprisingly easy to read, but is gigantic, so i got that one

i also just found that ocw site and will probably make an attempt at that instead of the coursera/princeton one

CLRS owns but wouldn't be my first choice if I had to learn this all again

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
we learned data structures in C which was a good choice

because why abstract the computery poo poo when you're literally swapping around addresses

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah the data structures and algorithms course I just had was in C++ and it was pretty good

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
inb4 asm with only the most basicest instruction set allowed

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I helped a coworker with his data structures assignments a few weeks ago. It was taught using Java and drat near everything he did would leak memory like a sieve in a non-GC language. Seemed like a stupid way to teach data structures but whatever

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

everything java would leak memory like a sieve because of it being impossible to call free()

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I guess I'm having difficulty describing how loving terrible his code was and I'll just leave it at that

Glad his job doesn't require any programming because he loving sucks at it

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i just assume deep copying everywhere

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

teaching DS in C++ is a good secondary C++ class too because it easily demonstrates the purpose of poo poo like copy constructors, overloaded assignment operators, RAII design, newer stuff like move semantics and smart pointers, and more stuff in the standard library -- all topics that an intro course probably wouldn't have time for but are critical to being competent at modern C++

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 8, 2014

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My algs and data structure lecturer from last year is well known in the field I think, and taught us using Java. His name is Patrick Prosser

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've been coding in c# so long that i have completely forgotten how to manage memory

guess i need to learn to manage my memory about memory management

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

MononcQc posted:

pretend i emptyquoted this over and over for a page or three

cormen et al is good for a lot of things, but "thinking about algorithms" isn't one of them

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

ps if you're a cs major and not making heavy use of library genesis to at least preview texts, you done hosed up

or you're super rich in which case bully for you

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

re: exploring algorithms,

and more generally building a visualization of a thing is a great way to try and understand it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

coffeetable posted:

ps if you're a cs major and not making heavy use of library genesis to at least preview texts, you done hosed up

or you're super rich in which case bully for you

im not im a script janitor and i purchase books legitimately when i need them

the other links are cool and ill check them soon, i am envious of that visualization guy, where'd he get started, how did he learn this etc

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Share Bear posted:

i am just bitching since the class does reflect this model, i suck at many things at once, and have learned to never start learning multiple things at the same time, which in this case is both java and algorithms.

same

it's a hard course on algorithms so trying to learn java at the same time was doomed for me. I'll try again next time, till then I'll try to get more familiar with java at my own pace and keep doing the machine learning and hardware software interface.

comparatively those two other courses are being hella easy, I tried hsi before and C was so baffling to me. now I'm breezing it.

it's fun to notice that I'm getting better at programming trivial poo poo. :toot:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

data structures and algorithms are the most important things they'll teach you in a comp sci program.

the most important class is 'how to look at 20,000 lines of entirely undocumented code and figure out what it does' and it's taught implicitly by every professor being very bad at programming

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Share Bear posted:

im not im a script janitor and i purchase books legitimately when i need them

the other links are cool and ill check them soon, i am envious of that visualization guy, where'd he get started, how did he learn this etc

stanford, pat hanrahan + co

dude literally wrote one of the best vis things (D3) and works at a place with tons of interesting datasets (interestint != big, usually) the nyt company

all them cool datavis? bostock

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
hm now the vis group is at uw... interesitng...

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cold on a Cob posted:

i've been coding in c# so long that i have completely forgotten how to manage memory

guess i need to learn to manage my memory about memory management

raii and manual memory management were garbage, collected by your now-more-efficient brain

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the hardest skills to develop pertain to professionalism itself. learning to keep cool under pressure. being a "team player." writing clear and concise documentation. hitting the right notes in a memo to management.

you will learn these things by working with people who do them well. and people who do them poorly.

all the tech stuff is incidental

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have found it's much easier to work with nice people who aren't all that bright than to work with sharp guys with toxic personalities

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

see also: every "big data" project, ever, anywhere

im the 'professional' who is literally smarter than everyone else

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

im the 'professional' who is literally smarter than everyone else

idgi

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

same

it's a hard course on algorithms so trying to learn java at the same time was doomed for me. I'll try again next time, till then I'll try to get more familiar with java at my own pace and keep doing the machine learning and hardware software interface.

comparatively those two other courses are being hella easy, I tried hsi before and C was so baffling to me. now I'm breezing it.

it's fun to notice that I'm getting better at programming trivial poo poo. :toot:

the machine learning class was also really neat and v applicable when you have any sort of good linear algebra library available

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

hitting the right notes in a memo to management

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

BONGHITZ posted:

hitting the right notes in a memo to management

try the brown note

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU