Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Well that's lovely. My dwarves carved a statue depicting a Roc tearing out a dwarfs eye. The dwarf is crying. The roc is striking a menacing pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hempuli posted:

Sorry, the events described here inspired me to do horrendous DF fan-art:

:geno:

I thought you were going to go all Capri Sun there. Not sure if I'm disappointed or not.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

scamtank posted:

Yeah, worldgen has a total tower boner right now. No idea why.

What's really terrifying is if they're all slade towers.

Ever wonder what would happen if the demons could invade your world? Now you know. :getin:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well that's lovely. My dwarves carved a statue depicting a Roc tearing out a dwarfs eye. The dwarf is crying. The roc is striking a menacing pose.

It's like arts-and-crafts time at Hell's Preschool.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The value system is producing great things already. I have an anarchist dwarf who "abhors personal power and would have all masters toppled". And then there is this guy:

Perfect candidate for the hammerer position right there.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Well, I stepped into a Dwarven hillsite, and the first thing that happens is some random peasant asks me to kill something. There is just one small issue:

I'm not sure these particular dwarves are great at quest choosing candidates, considering that I am a complete stranger who just walked into town.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Friendly reminder: For 16x16 square tiles, just turn [GRAPHICS] to ON in init.txt

edit: You can change the number of embark points in the world generation settings.

my dad fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 8, 2014

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

VerdantSquire posted:

Well, I stepped into a Dwarven hillsite, and the first thing that happens is some random peasant asks me to kill something. There is just one small issue:

I'm not sure these particular dwarves are great at quest choosing candidates, considering that I am a complete stranger who just walked into town.

Clearly they're just fed up of adventurers wandering into town and incessantly asking questions. Congrats on being the 26th adventurer since they started sending them to die at the hands of a titan.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aww, man. I started a world, started a fort (really just built four walls and a hole in the ground, with a couple stockpiles and a trade depot), retired the fort (not abandoned) and now when I try to start an adventurer, it crashes every time I try to finish the hero creation screen. :(

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So I take it either no one else has my tree problem or no one's found a workaround for it? Three forts now I've lost due to everyone being crippled from treeclimbing injuries. It seems their immediate reaction upon having nothing to do is "go climb a tree".

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Having attempted to generate several worlds, all ending in the age of death, I have a theory as to why.

Towers use historical figures as the zombies, and those count against the maximum number allowed in the world, so all the available "people" are zombies, causing the end of the world.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Roflex posted:

So I take it either no one else has my tree problem or no one's found a workaround for it? Three forts now I've lost due to everyone being crippled from treeclimbing injuries. It seems their immediate reaction upon having nothing to do is "go climb a tree".

Cut down all the trees, problem solved.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Has anyone tried cutting down a tree in front of an elf? I wonder if they would break down into tears.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Cut down all the trees, problem solved.

My woodcutters usually end up injured long before I can accomplish this.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Kind of wish that the holes hill dwarves live in were easier to spot, maybe Toady should add a small hut around the hatch so that you can spot homes easier? Also, its pretty strange how no homes have any furniture to speak of, but I guess thats to be expected at this stage of the game.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

0lives posted:

Has anyone tried cutting down a tree in front of an elf? I wonder if they would break down into tears.

I hope they make this face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Roflex posted:

You could try burrows? :v: Make the entire embark minus the trees one giant burrow and assign your dwarves to it until you can cut them down/wall them off.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Heh, I created two naked humans in Arena mode and started a horseplay fight. They kept wrestling until they were all sweaty and one passed out from exhaustion. :awesome:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The trees have finally declared the war that has been cold since time immemorial- they shall devastate every fort with psionic climbing impulses unless the dwarves burn them all. Let's get to it!

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The outpost liaison just told me of about three dozen sites in a row falling to the same goblin army in a giant, extremely repetitive wall of text. On the plus side, the whole trade agreement negotiations spiel finishes in about 10 seconds now that it counts as an actual conversation, so delays from your mayor wandering off to haul a dead rat to the refuse stockpile should be a thing of the past.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Zomborgon posted:

The trees have finally declared the war that has been cold since time immemorial- they shall devastate every fort with psionic climbing impulses unless the dwarves burn them all. Let's get to it!

It's like a lovely version of that M. Night Shyamalan movie about the revenge of the plants.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I finally figured out how to perform a string dump and I'm seeing vaguely interesting things. Dyeing and cooking now have their very own "has dyed/cooked a masterpiece!" announcements. Bagging quarry bush leaves has been uprooted (:haw:) and there's a new reaction for it that shows off the new ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT system. The old job titles for the farmer's workshop jobs aren't where they used to be in the .exe.

Here are the new status lines that'll appear below the creature's name:

Overcome by terror!
In emotional shock!
Overwhelmed by horror!
Experiencing mortal fear!
Beside (pronoun) with grief!
Wallowing in sadness!
Emotionally overloaded!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tnega posted:

Having attempted to generate several worlds, all ending in the age of death, I have a theory as to why.

Towers use historical figures as the zombies, and those count against the maximum number allowed in the world, so all the available "people" are zombies, causing the end of the world.

That is unbelievably metal. Really this entire update has been fantastic for excessive :black101:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
There's a giant sponge near my embark that's perpetually overcome by terror. It doesn't seem to be having the same effect on my creatures though! It's nice to finally give some back to those things

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I wish giant sponges had some kind of use if you manage to trap one, obviously by (sustainably) harvesting portable sized bits off them for use in hygiene, infuriating the sponge and injuring its pride.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

super fart shooter posted:

There's a giant sponge near my embark that's perpetually overcome by terror. It doesn't seem to be having the same effect on my creatures though! It's nice to finally give some back to those things

I ran across two giant sponges in adventure mode, I was just walking down to the river when I heard some screaming. Turns out they hated each other and kept yelling at the other to surrender, or the occasional "Let's stop this pointless violence!" followed by a "Never!" Stuck eternally, next to someone you hate more than anything, unable to do anything but sling insults at each other.

Also as I took a running jump over the river (which was hella rad) the sponges saw me and for a moment were surprised. "What's this, are we under attack?" "An ambush!" Or something like that.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I got an error and crashed to desktop just as I got my initial embark going strong. Playtesting this may require frequent save+copy folder iterations.

Edit: Can anyone confirm if Dwarf Therapist still works?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I bet by this weekend we'll have a basic complement of the standard df tools. Not a full fledged dfhack or anything, but some of the basics, the stuff you need to play a simple game.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Turns out I just completely forgot to set a meeting hall/dining room area. When they have somewhere indoors to go to, they won't wander around the treetops.

Also I seem to be unable to plant certain underground plants (pig tails and cave wheat) but the rest are available all 4 seasons.

e:

quote:

Edit: Can anyone confirm if Dwarf Therapist still works?

I tried messing with the memory scan in 6.12 with no luck.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I got a message saying a vile force is sieging my fort. It turned out to be one zombie and a human necromancer that just sort of ran around my dwarves and then ran off the screen. I sent my rag tag bunch of recruits at the one zombie and it punched them so hard that all of their heads exploded.

I don't like zombies.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Oh my god, so many new seeds.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

... Uh, I know this game has a reputation for violent combat, but my kick just caused this thing's head to explode. Not sure if it has to do more with my strength being superior, or the creature being really weak. Probably a combination of both. Its still pretty darn awesome though.

Also, a important tip for anyone else playing: don't generate a large world. It takes pretty much takes several hours for the game to start playing. Toady said he knows a few things to speed up the process, but for now stick to medium and small worlds.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Oh my god, so many new seeds.

Seriously, if you're embarking in an area with any vegetation at all, you should bring a proficient herbalist. There's a wonderful cornucopia of new plants to be fermented!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

VerdantSquire posted:

... Uh, I know this game has a reputation for violent combat, but my kick just caused this thing's head to explode. Not sure if it has to do more with my strength being superior, or the creature being really weak. Probably a combination of both. Its still pretty darn awesome though.

Given that your target was on the ground at the time, it may have to do with the fact that you CURBSTOMPED that froggirl's skull.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Has anyone tried to grow some Cannabis Sativa? Can you make food out of it?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

VerdantSquire posted:

Also, a important tip for anyone else playing: don't generate a large world. It takes pretty much takes several hours for the game to start playing. Toady said he knows a few things to speed up the process, but for now stick to medium and small worlds.
My machine tends to get a year and 700 historical events per second after year 70 on a medium world, so yeah, keep to that rate and you'll be fine. It's best to worldgen quickly when crash bugs occur later in the process rather often.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

super fart shooter posted:

Seriously, if you're embarking in an area with any vegetation at all, you should bring a proficient herbalist. There's a wonderful cornucopia of new plants to be fermented!

I'm angry that I can't ferment garlic into some horrid throat-searing moonshine concoction. I mean, I can make delicious garlic roasts with minced garlic served on a bed of garlic-infused garlic, but still. Why can't I make garlicbrau to serve to my vampire guests :mad:

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Is there any way to harvest the fruit from the trees? My stream is currently contaminated with apricots from all the trees. I want to make apricot wine.

Zomborgon posted:

My machine tends to get a year and 700 historical events per second after year 70 on a medium world, so yeah, keep to that rate and you'll be fine. It's best to worldgen quickly when crash bugs occur later in the process rather often.

I think if you want to do a large world do it with as few civs as possible. That being said I am going to test out a small world to see if that improves my fortress mode fps any.

NiknudStunod fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 8, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I gotta say, I'm really pleased with the direction Toady is going with reactions. Brewing and salad bagging have already been turned from hardcode into freely mangleable and moddable forms under the standard raw format.

NiknudStunod posted:

Is there any way to harvest the fruit from the trees? My stream is currently contaminated with apricots from all the trees. I want to make apricot wine.

I think Toady outright cursed the fact that he couldn't get that feature going in the current version. What he's upset about, he'll get to pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

Has anyone tried to grow some Cannabis Sativa? Can you make food out of it?

Please tell me you can get your Dwarves high.