Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

Do you know what are better than Ensoul Artifact for Affinity and don't see play?

Shrapnel Blast. Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas.

Case Closed.

If you think a turn 2 5/5 is relevant and worth spending 2 cards on, you might as well be playing bogles. You could also save yourself a card and play zoo or jund.

Shrapnel blast is a 2 for 1 that deals 5 damage. Ensoul is at worst the same thing (assuming it gets through once) and maybe better. I'm not sure its worth playing either, but it isn't like its against the law to test. I run affinity, and I think that I may tinker with it. The deck has some flex spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
It costs 1U. You're planning on getting this out on turn 2. Assuming the typical 16 land build, you're going to have 12 sources that can generate blue and Springleaf Drum doesn't count (because you'll be tapping the ornithopter you're enchanting with it) unless you have a second 0-drop, two of which you're already cutting, so that's 8 actual sources that can power it out.

Once the card is out there, that's fine and all, but you've just opened yourself up to two-for-one's since you're probably tapped out of colored sources so you couldn't thoughtseize and can't spell pierce and the format contains cards like Path to Exile and Abrupt Decay and even Lightning Bolt if you're enchanting a creature that's vulnerable to it. Affinity might be vulnerable to shatterstorm but losing value against cheap, instant speed removal is not a winning game.

In a typical game that you weren't going to win anyway (i.e. they have relevant removal in hand), you lava axe them. This is exactly why it's comparable to Shrapnel Blast, except Shrapnel Blast doesn't require that the artifact have been in play for a whole turn and be untapped.

I mean, I'm not saying it's bad because I have a vendetta against the card or anything, but the card lacks a real role to play in Affinity's actually tough matchups in the format.

jassi007 posted:

Shrapnel blast is a 2 for 1 that deals 5 damage. Ensoul is at worst the same thing (assuming it gets through once) and maybe better. I'm not sure its worth playing either, but it isn't like its against the law to test. I run affinity, and I think that I may tinker with it. The deck has some flex spots.

Ensoul is not at worst 5 damage. It is at worst 0 damage, at sorcery speed. The cases where ensoul is better are the cases where you would already have won with any of your other business spells.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

So what color is everyone getting at the prerelease? I'm thinking either red (I want to cast a generator servant) or black (the best promo).

That's what I've been thinking.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

A big flaming stink posted:

look i know that a 5/5 for two mana sounds like a really good deal to you but 2 drops in modern affinity have a much higher standard. Arcbound ravager and cranial plating are much, much stronger than a measly 5/5.

look i know that a 3/2 flier for one mana sounds like a really good deal to you but nobody plays creatures in legacy

jassi007 posted:

At worst, it's a 2-for-1 that trades for a spot removal because your opponent cuts it off before it even lands. Everything else in that post is golden, though - always be testing.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

mcmagic posted:

So what color is everyone getting at the prerelease? I'm thinking either red (I want to cast a generator servant) or black (the best promo).

I'd love to have Black, but I have a feeling it will go fast. If I can't have Black I will likely do as you are and go Red...

Servant could be in the other boosters...you only get 1 seeded, so it should be a rather good prerelease to see what people can do.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mcmagic posted:

I'm gonna go Green because I am nothing if not a sucker for the increased chance at cool/dumb Green Rares. :v:

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I am actually not doing the pre-release both because I have been playing less MtG lately, and because I dislike the whole 'play with your pre-release card and get a seeded pack' direction that has been happening.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

OssiansFolly posted:

Servant could be in the other boosters...you only get 1 seeded, so it should be a rather good prerelease to see what people can do.

Is the seeded pack entirely pre-made (no randomness)?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

At worst, it's a 2-for-1 that trades for a spot removal because your opponent cuts it off before it even lands. Everything else in that post is golden, though - always be testing.

A 2-for-1 that trades for spot removal (i.e. already down a card) in a deck that has threat density and key cards (manlands, ravager, plating) that exist to mitigate the effect of spot removal. This makes it significantly worse than a 2-for-1 that shakes up combat math and can interact on the stack for your opponent in a deck that is already complex with regards to combat math.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Red. Dragon. Siege. :getin:

Turn 3, Siege Dragon with double Generator Servant on turn 2. Sac get the 4, tap my 3 mountains swing for 5 kill your board.

Red Deck best deck. :black101:

Edit: I'm aware Generator Servant is a 2, drop I'm just a cheatyface.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 8, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

There is still randomness to the extent of which specific cards of that color are in there. You're just getting the majority of cards in that color.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
A friend and I are doing a 2HG event and going black and red. I've been looking at some pool simulators and even if there was no seeded pack this set looks amazing.

Count Bleck posted:

Red. Dragon. Siege. :getin:

Turn 3, Siege Dragon with double Generator Servant on turn 2. Sac get the 4, tap my 3 mountains swing for 5 kill your board.

Red Deck best deck. :black101:

This might be me being dumb, but how are you sacing 2 Generator Servants on turn 3? I thought it would be turn 4 at the earliest since they cost 1R and tap to sac.

drat your ninja edit...

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

mcmagic posted:

I made the mistake of trying to go with what was considered the best seeded deck color for Nyx, so this time im going with what I am most comfortable piloting. Get over here, Siege Dragon :getin:

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
I'm going white because I feel like it synergizes with the other colours best and it has a decent promo. That and I feel like there are so many ways to benefit from having tokens out in this set (convoke, sac outlets, etc).

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

It costs 1U. You're planning on getting this out on turn 2. Assuming the typical 16 land build, you're going to have 12 sources that can generate blue and Springleaf Drum doesn't count (because you'll be tapping the ornithopter you're enchanting with it) unless you have a second 0-drop, two of which you're already cutting, so that's 8 actual sources that can power it out.

Once the card is out there, that's fine and all, but you've just opened yourself up to two-for-one's since you're probably tapped out of colored sources so you couldn't thoughtseize and can't spell pierce and the format contains cards like Path to Exile and Abrupt Decay and even Lightning Bolt if you're enchanting a creature that's vulnerable to it. Affinity might be vulnerable to shatterstorm but losing value against cheap, instant speed removal is not a winning game.

In a typical game that you weren't going to win anyway (i.e. they have relevant removal in hand), you lava axe them. This is exactly why it's comparable to Shrapnel Blast, except Shrapnel Blast doesn't require that the artifact have been in play for a whole turn and be untapped.

I mean, I'm not saying it's bad because I have a vendetta against the card or anything, but the card lacks a real role to play in Affinity's actually tough matchups in the format.

Ensoul is not at worst 5 damage. It is at worst 0 damage, at sorcery speed. The cases where ensoul is better are the cases where you would already have won with any of your other business spells.

True, I did not consider the obvious, they remove the thing its enchanting before it resolves. I agree it probably is not good, but I'm going to play some matches with it and see what happens. One thing I do see in its favor is the power to cost. I play affinity, and Cranial is often in the 4-6 power range on turn 2-3, which is comparable. It is like a worse plating that can be used on non-creatures. It is interesting on etched champion though. Still a two card combo, but a 5 power champion can close a game against uwr or jund quickly.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

jassi007 posted:

True, I did not consider the obvious, they remove the thing its enchanting before it resolves. I agree it probably is not good, but I'm going to play some matches with it and see what happens. One thing I do see in its favor is the power to cost. I play affinity, and Cranial is often in the 4-6 power range on turn 2-3, which is comparable. It is like a worse plating that can be used on non-creatures. It is interesting on etched champion though. Still a two card combo, but a 5 power champion can close a game against uwr or jund quickly.

Etched Champion will usually have protection from it. (I once popped an Etched Champion out of an Arrest this way in limited, and it felt loving good.)

I don't think it's particularly good, but I am in favor of testing weird poo poo.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

mcmagic posted:

I'm going black, not because it has the best promo but because I have a Dick Dastardly approach to magic where I always play black with a small amount of another colour other than white and then proceed to get smashed by everyone else (who are playing white)

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

mcmagic posted:

Probably U/W because well.....U/W is the best

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Hmm?

Cool, lemme just click it and

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/story-time-2014-07-28 posted:

Access denied
You are not authorized to access this page.

I wonder what happened. Maybe that's an article that just got turned in today, and someone misclicked publish? It seems to have been taken down from the main Articles page now as well.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

On the last few prereleases there's been I think eight different "preconstructed" boosters per colour, one of which you would have in your prerelease box of choice. So not random as such, but random as to which of the precon boosters you get.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Blue doesn't seem all that good this time around, especially not compared to m14, and black's promo is INSANELY good, a 5/3 flier for 5 mana is awesome. It is a relevant card that you should be able to play in 90% of your matches. Normally I choose blue, but I am definitely hedging towards black this time around.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

IDK. I don't think blue is very good in this set after being INSANE in M14.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Re: M15 promos

Blue strikes me as the worst promo unless you are in 2HG, in which case you have a higher chance of copying your friend's or your opponents' promo.

Green is bleh because of 2 toughness, but 7 power makes it a good blocker that can also kill an opponent in three turns.

Black is decent but that three toughness doesn't fill me with confidence, though it does fly...

Red and white are 1b and 1a to me; red's could be the best if the wall sub-theme is prevalent enough, but a one-sided pyroclasm isn't so bad. White's promo, on the other hand, is almost always good and effectively re-sets the game for you.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bhsman posted:

Re: M15 promos

Blue strikes me as the worst promo unless you are in 2HG, in which case you have a higher chance of copying your friend's or your opponents' promo.

It's your creatures only.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Which really hurts it. Its a fun card, but incredibly weak compared to even OG clone. If you dont have a creature out worth 5 mana+, he is essentially worthless.

edit-I do like the art and flavor text on it though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Which really hurts it. Its a fun card, but incredibly weak compared to even OG clone. If you dont have a creature out worth 5 mana+, he is essentially worthless.

edit-I do like the art and flavor text on it though.

Or it could be used to clone kiora's follower for whatever shenanigans that card can work.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LordSaturn posted:

Etched Champion will usually have protection from it. (I once popped an Etched Champion out of an Arrest this way in limited, and it felt loving good.)

I don't think it's particularly good, but I am in favor of testing weird poo poo.

OMG I am so retarded. how do I play this game?!?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jassi007 posted:

Trial and error?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Cernunnos posted:

Trial and error?

Error and swoop?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I was swinging cursecatchers into Etched Champions with Lords and no islands on their board.

What I'm saying is we're all bad at this game. :smuggo:

Edit: vv Woah buddy, that's some complex stuff. You might wanna try something simpler, like Eggs.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 8, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jassi007 posted:

I can teach you. Here, take this deck, it's called Ad Nauseam Tendrils. I'll play with mine, I call it Doomsday, then we can swap, okay?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Eggs v Dredge is probably the best way to teach a new player the mechanics of the game. Lets them learn the fundamental archetypes of magic decks.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Dr. Stab posted:

Eggs v Dredge is probably the best way to teach a new player the mechanics of the game. Lets them learn the fundamental archetypes of magic decks.

Just give them high tide and let them go hog wild

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

Hm.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mailorder bees! posted:

Just give them high tide and let them go hog wild

In my own experience I find that regular high tide doesn't give new players enough appreciation for timing rules, so I think it's best to initially restrict them to Solidarity (Reset High Tide).

And although it's outmoded and illegal in Legacy due to the banning of Survival of the Fittest, I actually find Full English Breakfast to be the best deck to serve as a teaching tool for new players. I mean unlike many of these other decks it's all about attacking with creatures- what's not to love?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

So my friends are getting me into MtG and I'm familiar with how the game is played and have played a few games using their decks but I know theres probably a whole lot im not taking into account whenever it's my turn. Is there any kind of "Read This: Babies first MtG Guide". Anything that goes into detail about building decks, what makes a good card, etc. I'm going to the event this friday with my friends so I'm ready to dive head first into this and lose a whole bunch.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I don't know if any of you are friends with Frank Lepore on Facebook, but there's a conversation going on on his wall right now where, long story short, he insists that Magic Online trading bots are preferable to an automated exchange system (auction house or otherwise).

Am I alone in finding this absurd?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

What a Judas posted:

I don't know if any of you are friends with Frank Lepore on Facebook, but there's a conversation going on on his wall right now where, long story short, he insists that Magic Online trading bots are preferable to an automated exchange system (auction house or otherwise).

everything lepore says is absurd so no you're not alone

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Given the state of MODO they're probably actually better than anything Wizards put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

What a Judas posted:

Christ, what a moron. (Him, not you)

• Locked thread