Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I...I think I just had a stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I think it's like how there's a wiki for everything, there's a bingo for everything.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
:stare:
The rest of those pictures are pretty hosed up, but I'd like to emphasize how much worse this is.
Just... holy poo poo.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Sounds like you're not getting enough cilantro. :smuggo:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Moatman posted:

:stare:
The rest of those pictures are pretty hosed up, but I'd like to emphasize how much worse this is.
Just... holy poo poo.

Scarily enough it's a sentiment I've heard around from co-workers and classmates. Pretty much since New Mexico along with Sedona, Arizona was where the hippies who didn't want the counterculture thing to end ended up migrating to, there's a lot of multigenerational hippy/holistic types out here. I've lost count how many times when I've not been feeling well that I get loads of recommendations as to what herbs I need to take or which all natural organic food I need to be eating.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The funny thing about this one is that there's a gene that influences how cilantro tastes to people
So part of why some people hate cilantro is because they are one of the unlucky few who it objectively tastes horrible to. Sucks for them, because cilantro is delicious for us superhumans who it doesn't taste gross to!

Insects in India hate sugar water? :crossarms:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Even copyright law is not a disability.

Not gonna lie, I'd loving love coke bottles sold like this. Every now and then, misting my mouth with it would be a fun novelty.

Oh, you sip your cola? You poor luddite...

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Jul 8, 2014

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Insects in India hate sugar water? :crossarms:

From what I've been able to look up, it's used diluted to attract the bugs that'll eat the other bugs.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Krispy Kareem posted:

I agree it can be construed as a slippery slope, but it's also really tough to claim a religious exemption. It's not like company A can just say, "Christian Scientists don't agree with doctors so we don't either." You'd have to make your religious beliefs part of your corporate culture, which most businesses won't do because it limits your consumer appeal.

And even then, there are limits to what you can claim. Abortion is a controversial issue with religious implications. Preventive medicine, access to mammograms, and cancer treatment - not so much.

I hate having to defend Hobby Lobby because I've really disliked the store ever since I went in expecting Hobby Town. Their stores are weird, are full of cheap crap, and they have poo poo for art supplies. But they treat their employees well and they had a legitimate argument which they won.

The problem is that it's not a legitimate argument. The drugs they have a problem with don't do the things they think they do. So there's no reason at all to oppose them since they work exactly the way the other 16 methods of birth control do. A privately-held corporation has no loving business being involved in this kind of discussion no matter what the religious beliefs of it's owners, and it's shameful that we as a country are forced to accept this.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

canyoneer posted:

The funny thing about this one is that there's a gene that influences how cilantro tastes to people
So part of why some people hate cilantro is because they are one of the unlucky few who it objectively tastes horrible to. Sucks for them, because cilantro is delicious for us superhumans who it doesn't taste gross to!

When my blueprints were submitted, they gave me "will hate cilantro" but took out "is allergic to brown recluse spider venom," so I'm a winner who hates homemade salsa but won't lose a limb to ballooning extremities if bitten by a particular nasty loving spider :c00l:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Elfface posted:

Here's what I've gathered from other SA threads not directly dealing with it, like politoons.

Hobby Lobby is a crafts store run by crazy Christian fundamentalists. They don't use barcodes because they're the mark of the beast.

They objected to a certain type of birth control on the grounds that it aborts babies rather than preventing fertilization. (Whether is actually does is another matter).

They objected to providing their employees health insurance that provided this form of birth control.

The case made it to the supreme court, where the judges rules 5-4 in favour of Hobby Lobby. Curiously, every female judge was in the 4, but those men knew better.

So now it's American law that your employer knows better than your doctor on your healthcare, and if it's religiously objectionable they can refuse to fund it.

In short, every time you see your local fascist party getting a small minority, just remember how much worse it could be.

It doesn't. Emergency contraception prevents ovulation. There's a pretty NSFW comic that explains it reasonably well.

:nws: http://www.ohjoysextoy.com/emerencycontraception/ :nws:

Edit: Bother, that's what I get for leaving a tab open for ages.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

The problem is that it's not a legitimate argument. The drugs they have a problem with don't do the things they think they do. So there's no reason at all to oppose them since they work exactly the way the other 16 methods of birth control do. A privately-held corporation has no loving business being involved in this kind of discussion no matter what the religious beliefs of it's owners, and it's shameful that we as a country are forced to accept this.

A legally legitimate argument.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
My understanding is that it doesn't matter what the drugs actually do, as long as their sincerely held religious beliefs say that the drugs induce an abortion.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I like pointing out to people that I hope they don't find out after a life-saving blood transfusion that their Jehovah's Witness employer put together a custom insurance package that excludes blood transfusions and now they're stuck with a $20k bill.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
What kind of chumps go with their employer's insurance plans instead of buying their own, anyway? :colbert:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
People who can't afford to buy their own?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

People who can't afford to buy their own?

Blue cross offered me a 1200 a month plan with a 200 dollar prescription copay for anything not related to pre-existing conditions. :haw: Yaaaaaaay. Oh, and it wouldn't cover anything related to pre-existing or existing chronic conditions. Hope you don't get diagnosed with something you weren't aware you had!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Aerofallosov posted:

Blue cross offered me a 1200 a month plan with a 200 dollar prescription copay for anything not related to pre-existing conditions. :haw: Yaaaaaaay. Oh, and it wouldn't cover anything related to pre-existing or existing chronic conditions. Hope you don't get diagnosed with something you weren't aware you had!

I thought the ACA said preexisting condition have to be covered now?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Orgophlax posted:

I think you just can't be completely denied for them, but I could be wrong.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

kinmik posted:

Sounds like you're not getting enough cilantro. :smuggo:

Yeah! How else are you going to upgrade your DNA??

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Which plant is it, again, that improves comprehension of statistics?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I think you just can't be completely denied for them, but I could be wrong.

The ACA says you can't charge someone more for a pre-existing condition. An old guy with AIDS smoking a cigarette out his trac tube with his foot rotting off from diabetes pays the same premium as a 30 year old vegan. Although employer provided insurance can charge you more for smoking.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I've always wondered how employers or insurance would know if you're a smoker in order to charge you more. Unless you're smoking at work like a chump instead of using smokeless tobacco that doesn't affect other people, anyway, how would they know what you're doing on your downtime?

Edit: By the time they found out you had a smoking related illness it'd be too late for them to up your premiums before they had to pay up for your care

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

I've always wondered how employers or insurance would know if you're a smoker in order to charge you more. Unless you're smoking at work like a chump instead of using smokeless tobacco that doesn't affect other people, anyway, how would they know what you're doing on your downtime?

Edit: By the time they found out you had a smoking related illness it'd be too late for them to up your premiums before they had to pay up for your care

They force you to take an annual medical as part of the coverage, if the notes they get say you're a smoker, bam.

I mean, you COULD lie to your doctor, I guess...

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
wow, in 1900 we were really lovely at diagnosing cancer

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

wow, in 1900 we were really lovely at diagnosing cancer

Plus life expectancy in 1900 in the US was something like 47, so the odds of living until you caught cancer were... Lower.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Krispy Kareem posted:

A legally legitimate argument.

:rolleyes:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Now, yeah. That was slightly before ACA. Also, our call center's insurance had 'too many claims' (Gosh, a moldy building with slime coming out the fridge and black mold in the walls with shared headsets and computers full of sick, stressed people who are underpaid and overworked being yelled at to work more getting sick...? Naaaah), so it was too pricey for what you got from it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

They can tell from an urine sample.

quote:

Haha, no. If you lie about your condition you don't get covered. USUALLY, when there's a story about an evil insurance company dropping someone with cancer, it's because they lied about their condition to get coverage. The insurer can't say that publicly though because of patient confidentiality. So all you hear is 'evil insurance company'.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Plus life expectancy in 1900 in the US was something like 47, so the odds of living until you caught cancer were... Lower.

In the 1200s there were no deaths from cancer. WHEN ARE WE GOING TO WAKE UP?!?!?!

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

My employer (a really lovely hospital) had us fill out this long online questionnaire every year when we renewed our insurance. One of sections gave us information about the health benefits of not smoking. You had to scroll down to see that it was actually a question as to whether or not you smoked. "Yes I am a smoker" was automatically checked. :D And you could continue on to the next section without having to scroll to the bottom.

Thankfully I caught it and told my coworkers, but who knows how many people now have "yes I am a smoker" buried in a medical document somewhere.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/sto...d=SOC/FB/SNMain

quote:

Andrew Robert Rector admitted that he "briefly slept" while attending the April 13 game between A.L. East rivals, and when ESPN cameras caught him sleeping during the fourth inning, the Sunday Night Baseball announcers launched into what he described as an "unending verbal crusade" against him, with their "vituperative utterances" redistributed on the MLB website the following day.

Excels has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Jul 8, 2014

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Excels posted:

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/sto...d=SOC/FB/SNMain

Andrew Robert Rector admitted that he "briefly slept" while attending the April 13 game between A.L. East rivals, and when ESPN cameras caught him sleeping during the fourth inning, the Sunday Night Baseball announcers launched into what he described as an "unending verbal crusade" against him, with their "vituperative utterances" redistributed on the MLB website the following day.

Haha, he sounds like a real life Ignatius J. Reilly.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Gropiemon posted:

In the 1200s there were no deaths from cancer. WHEN ARE WE GOING TO WAKE UP?!?!?!
I know you are joking but it's amusing to tell these people that we've been diagnosing cancer since about 1600 B.C. It's not something caused by our modern lifestyle.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NY Post posted:

But his typo-ridden suit says Shulman and Kruk’s “false statements” include suggestions that Rector is “not worthy” to be a Yankee fan and “is a fatty cow that need two seats at all time and represent symbol of failure.”

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
But that second one is most assuredly true.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I'll have no more of your vituperative utterances!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

hallo spacedog posted:

Haha, he sounds like a real life Ignatius J. Reilly.

I assumed "vituperative utterances" were the words of some shyster, but I like your version, better. I hope the lawsuit goes to court and he represents himself.

• Locked thread