Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"

o muerte posted:

I crack up every time I watch goons talk poo poo about their guns. VS goons were just given a gun that's either a Mercenary or a T1 Cycler depending on which attachments you slap on and that's somehow :siren: A PROBLEM :siren:. You literally just got a combination of the best all-rounders of the other factions and you're .. complaining about it?

I've discovered the real VS faction trait: it's (surprise) whining about their guns.

It isn't faction specific, so it doesn't count! TR get ROF and whining about their guns, NC get damage and whining about their guns, VS just get whining about their guns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Nakar posted:

The Mercenary and T1 Cycler cost 0 certs. The Terminus costs 1000.

The Merc. and Cycler don't encapsulate two other faction's stock guns in one, I'm not surprised that's not free.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Unrelated to anything, specifically: I find it weird how stupidly high the KDR is of some EU server characters. The average KDR doesn't seem that much worse for Cobalt than Emerald, yet you have guys like Matti running around with KDRs of like 9+ which is just stupidly insane, 4-6 is basically godlike on Emerald. DA has three guys with a KDR over 6 and one of them has 18,000 Viper kills which just might be why. NUC does not have a single member over 6, and elusive1 with his insane 38% HSR and 38.4 KDR with bolt-action rifles still has an overall KDR of 4.16, which is great but also reasonable. All I do on Connery is farm and my KDR there is just over 5, and even on Connery people in FCRW and the like are plateauing around 6-7 KDR.

How is this possible, statistically? Is the average on EU servers just massively skewed such that it appears similar to Emerald's, except on Emerald the average player actually is about that good and on Cobalt it's a bunch of blind and deaf fodder being farmed by a handful of competent people? Are some of these people just cheating? The people who get regular hackusations on Emerald don't even come close to having the same stats as some of these guys.

o muerte posted:

The Merc. and Cycler don't encapsulate two other faction's stock guns in one, I'm not surprised that's not free.
The Terminus is in no way identical to the Mercenary and is basically worse than the Cycler, so I think the "It's a Merc + Cycler!" logic falls flat here man. It's a slightly different Cycler that costs infinitely more and is a straight upgrade to the default. It's not hard to see why VS Medic players would get chuffed by this.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

o muerte posted:

I crack up every time I watch goons talk poo poo about their guns. VS goons were just given a gun that's either a Mercenary or a T1 Cycler depending on which attachments you slap on and that's somehow :siren: A PROBLEM :siren:. You literally just got a combination of the best all-rounders of the other factions and you're .. complaining about it?

I've discovered the real VS faction trait: it's (surprise) whining about their guns.

I'm...talking poo poo about our guns by calling a gun a decent gun? Ok. :psyduck:

Whining about our assault rifles is an entirely legit complaint though, we have poo poo for assault rifles compared to the other two factions (notice how I don't complain about our Carbines and LMG's because they are awesome).

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 8, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nakar posted:

How is this possible, statistically?

We're just not as populated as you. I have a higher KDR on EU than US and it's mainly down to how easy it is to find small fights where you won't be perforated with a million bullets the moment you turn a corner. Easy farmin' for all.

That and I've no idea when MattiAce even plays. I've been on Miller for over half a year playing during prime time now and I've never seen him. Does he only play during the mornings or late nights when the only people on are drunks and insomniac uni students or what?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I don't think the VS have bad guns, just boring guns. They look and sound the same.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't think the VS have bad guns, just boring guns. They look and sound the same.

With the exception of assault rifles we have pretty good guns all around.

Eridani, Pulsar C, Zenith, Orion, Flare, Blueshift, PPA. :vd:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mega Comrade posted:

They lack an overall design philosophy that allows for cool variation. They're not ineffective, but they're basically just a bin of rejected TR and NC concepts and occasionally you get one that's really loving good like the Pulsar C while other times you get the Flare. There are weapons you can most certainly use well in each category, if you dig around for them. Meanwhile they're dreaming up poo poo like "125 damage high-ROF doom lasers" for TR and giving the NC more badass 200 damage guns in addition to tight and well-performing weapons in their normal categories. It just feels like there's more care put into NC/TR design. Part of this is VS guns did have different performance metrics back when they had the different damage falloff model, but that was taken out when people complained because they were stupid and bad at math. That took a lot of personality away from guns like the Pulsar, which actually was on par with the Cycler DPS-wise at different ranges.

They did try. They tried to propose the Terminus as a high-ROF super-accurate burst weapon with more of a close-quarters appeal to it, but everyone hated it because it was impossible to click that fast so they just gave up on it rather than stick to it philosophically. So they made it an automatic with no particularly special traits. Is it a good automatic? Yes, it's awesome, it's actually on par with the sort of things the NC/TR have. Is it an interesting automatic? Not especially.

I fear the Spiker's going to meet the same fate as at the moment the charge-up function seems to do nothing useful whatsoever and is awkward and inconvenient and can't be utilized by Infiltrators. I'm guessing we'll just end up with a Repeater/Desperado knockoff. Is that good? Well, the Repeater and Desperado are good pistols, sure, and VS would like one of their own. But the concept of a charge-up pistol is something unique to the VS and it will probably just end up neglected like the Phaseshift. If they tried to do more with heat mechanics and charging, but made it actually good, VS would have kind of an interesting overall design core.

Hell, how about a charge-up shotgun that gets a tighter and tighter choke as it charges until at a full charge it's a slug? See, I just designed an interesting shotgun and it wasn't even an NC concept!

Trouvaille
Dec 24, 2010

Bad job, but it pays well.
Why are all the VS helmets not great? We have a ton of hoods that look terrible. Why does the TR get the 'Rocketeer' helmet for light Assault? This is much more important than guns.

I'm bitter about looking like a Quarian.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Trouvaille posted:

Why are all the VS helmets not great? We have a ton of hoods that look terrible. Why does the TR get the 'Rocketeer' helmet for light Assault? This is much more important than guns.

Look at how wrong you are. The hoods are awesome, the Quarian helmet is incredible, and Esper makes you a 1950s B-movie spaceman. What about that isn't incredible? TR has like 80 variations on a gas mask and NC helmets that don't have sunglasses are a waste of your time.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

o muerte posted:

Wow, VS has a gun that switches from carbine to assault rifle? Stop the presses guys, everything is perfect now.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Trouvaille posted:

If it helps you feel better, the TR has a helmet that makes you look like a Quarian (Arctic Wolf Helmet).

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

If it helps you feel better, the TR has a helmet that makes you look like a Quarian (Arctic Wolf Helmet).

I use that for my TR medic and it is the loving best. At least until the Cowboy hat comes out anyway.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Ain't nothing gonna top the cowboy hat. The only thing that will be lame about it is that pretty much every NC will be wearing it because how can you not. :clint:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

o muerte posted:

You are dumb.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
For the TORQ, I have the grip on it, but I was wondering if maybe a laser attachment would be better for it? I don't think the grip really does too much for it since its recoil is already very low.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Horizontal Tree posted:

I was once in a public platoon with this guy and the conversations were about justifying rape/incest, justifying being a dysfunctional alcoholic, justifying racism, why Puerto Rico is the worst country in the world, and more.

/leader is all about the anime chat, man

He's a pretty chill dude, all in all.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Eridani, Pulsar C, Zenith, Orion, Flare, Blueshift, PPA. :vd:

What no SVA? .75 ADS speed, 75 rounds, and better sustainable mid to mid-long range fire over the Orion, with more attachments. It's like an Orion-S.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 8, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Ryuga Death posted:

For the TORQ, I have the grip on it, but I was wondering if maybe a laser attachment would be better for it? I don't think the grip really does too much for it since its recoil is already very low.
I find the Grip is actually pretty helpful. Yes, the recoil is low, but it steadies the shots up a bit at longer distances which is part of the appeal of the TORQ. It's even more crucial on the Lynx.

I dislike Lasers on the TORQ and Lynx. Their bloom rate is insane because they have 850-900 RPM fire rates but the bloom of 143 damage weapons. It's brutal. The Armistice has the advantage of SMG bloom in hipfire so it can actually put its 896 RPM to work without spraying all over the place, but the Lynx/TORQ will get real crazy real fast if you try that.

You could argue that's a reason to use a Laser so that the crazy bloom has to start from a tighter origin point, but I'm not entirely sold on that. With ALS the Lynx can hipfire out to surprising ranges though, but the TORQ doesn't get better than a regular one so it can't do the same trick. I'd say if you're not TORQing it past 30m in the current combat environment that a Laser probably won't hurt you too badly, but I generally like the Grip more.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

vigorous sodomy posted:

What no SVA? .75 ADS speed, 75 rounds, and better sustainable mid to mid-long range fire over the Orion, with more attachments. It's like an Orion-S.

The SVA-88 and HV-45 are both god tier guns and I will fight anyone irl that disagrees

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Trouvaille posted:

Get the Viper helmet and look like a Turian instead.

If VS ever gets a Krogan helmet I will only use shotguns.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 8, 2014

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

I find the Grip is actually pretty helpful. Yes, the recoil is low, but it steadies the shots up a bit at longer distances which is part of the appeal of the TORQ. It's even more crucial on the Lynx.

I dislike Lasers on the TORQ and Lynx. Their bloom rate is insane because they have 850-900 RPM fire rates but the bloom of 143 damage weapons. It's brutal. The Armistice has the advantage of SMG bloom in hipfire so it can actually put its 896 RPM to work without spraying all over the place, but the Lynx/TORQ will get real crazy real fast if you try that.

You could argue that's a reason to use a Laser so that the crazy bloom has to start from a tighter origin point, but I'm not entirely sold on that. With ALS the Lynx can hipfire out to surprising ranges though, but the TORQ doesn't get better than a regular one so it can't do the same trick. I'd say if you're not TORQing it past 30m in the current combat environment that a Laser probably won't hurt you too badly, but I generally like the Grip more.

Thanks, I'll save the certs, then.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I like the look of the Avalon helmet with the honeycomb camo for my medic. Something about the hooded helm lends a sort of cultish mystique to what should be future space-medicine when practiced by the VS.

Soon I'll get the cyclopean helmet with the tech camo and run around as a liquid metal heavy :3:

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Fans posted:

Though more seriously, I think the issue is that NC get "High Damage", TR get "High ROF" and that leaves gently caress all for unique damage models for the VS. Maybe if VS got "High DPM" but that is also the TR's trait for some bizarre reason and VS get fast reloads instead. Which is not as good.

You could give VS accuracy. There's room left for that but, eh... :soe:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Blinks77 posted:

You could give VS accuracy. There's room left for that but, eh... :soe:

Honestly Arghy's idea of giving some guns a .85 movement speed might be a thing to try. The VS regular guns don't really have anything unique to them besides bullet drop. As opposed to TR getting 40 rounds which no one else has and NC getting 200 damage guns which no one else has.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

vigorous sodomy posted:

I like the look of the Avalon helmet with the honeycomb camo for my medic. Something about the hooded helm lends a sort of cultish mystique to what should be future space-medicine when practiced by the VS.
Avalon is probably my favorite helmet for everything but LA and Infiltrator where it doesn't quite look right. It's a cool helmet with a badass hood and it takes camo well and looks good combined with bulkier armors. The only helmet I like more is the TR Juggernaut one because it's just a Stormtrooper helmet and if I'm gonna be TR I'm taking this gimmick all the way.

For Infiltrator I run the shemaghs mostly. They're practically made for the class.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Nakar posted:

Use the T1 Cycler.

Disagree. The T1 is an all-around good gun, I do not deny that. But once you're in the groove with the SABR there is nothing else like it.

Why:

1) With an advanced foregrip, you can spam click the button as fast as you like and there is NO horizontal recoil. This is not some Arghyesque hyperbole, I mean you literally do not have to compensate it at all. A tiny down drag and no horizontal drag will see your crosshair completely steady.
2) What feels like no shot bloom. Bullets always go where you point them.
3) Due to the above, it is insanely easy to shoot heads with it. Add battle-hardened so you don't get flinched in CQC and with 2 mice clicks they're dead
4) You also can snipe people even with a 1x scope to miles away with it (in fact, I never use anything higher than that - either 1x or IRNV.) I've lost count of the amount of 12x wookies I've picked off hillsides miles and miles away with it.
5) 167 damage son

The only downside is close quarters CQC, but even then you can win the majority of the time except against shotguns and shielded heavies when you get used to it, even with hipfire. It's seriously Vonic/Cyclone levels of broken, but because no one knows how to use it and therefore no-one complains about it, it stays early-game broken (and even gets buffs!)

A CRAB IRL fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 8, 2014

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

A Tartan Tory posted:

I really like the Corvus :shobon:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Nakar posted:

Avalon is probably my favorite helmet for everything but LA and Infiltrator where it doesn't quite look right. It's a cool helmet with a badass hood and it takes camo well and looks good combined with bulkier armors. The only helmet I like more is the TR Juggernaut one because it's just a Stormtrooper helmet and if I'm gonna be TR I'm taking this gimmick all the way.

For Infiltrator I run the shemaghs mostly. They're practically made for the class.

Agreedo.

I'm starting to get more and more pissed off at stupid team kills, and I find myself stewing over them for longer periods of time.

Were you in a max suit that was behind me? Did you just spray your guns in an effort to kill the badguy who I was shooting at, taking both of us out? gently caress you, idiot.

Were you the mouth breather in a tank doing nothing useful but decided to shell the guy who I was shooting at, killing us both? gently caress you.

Are you an idiot who just walks around a corner and blasts me after seeing my purple honeycomb camo and glowy space helmet? Redeploy in hell.

I just spent 400 certs buying C4 on two classes so I could hunt this particular idiot down in his stupid tank. I mean, I would have wanted the C4 in the near future anyway, so I don't feel like it was a wasted purchase, but I feel like I did it for the wrong reasons.

What's happening to me?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I don't normally like to say things like this (because I exhibit the same behavior sometimes), but you should probably just step away for a bit if you are getting that mad at video games. That said, nobody can tell you how to act in-game, but you should probably avoid that kind of vengeful poo poo; for your own mental health.

Trouvaille
Dec 24, 2010

Bad job, but it pays well.
I get the feeling I would be better at this game if I took the time to l learn the basic subtleties of 'shoot mans'. I SAS messing around last week with 'no ADS just shoot into they die' and it worked out pretty well. I can't seem to kill anyone this week with that tactic. I'm back to my normal 'ADS while moving and aim for the head' and it's working okay I guess? Any veterans want to provide some sage wisdom on the basics?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Clamps McGraw posted:

Disagree. The T1 is an all-around good gun, I do not deny that. But once you're in the groove with the SABR there is nothing else like it.
While I don't disagree with your points, the SABR does have certain tradeoffs in order to get its insane upsides. Forced burst-fire mode is one of those, and it can actually throw your aim off worse than recoil does depending on mouse sensitivity and how hard you click your mouse (some people have rough, aggressive clicks that can move their mouse pretty hard, which is easier to work into the flow of an automatic burst than a consistent clicking fest). The DPM is also "only" at NC levels, perish the thought, so you can squeeze almost an extra kill out of the Cycler. The SABR is also loving expensive (unless you were Alpha Squad or something, wasn't the SABR the AS weapon for TR Medic?) while the Cycler is loving free.

The SABR is absolutely retarded and broken and will never be nerfed because the TR are stupid (or stupid like foxes and constantly whining to deflect nerf attention from their good poo poo). No denying it. Same thing is true of the TORQ. But how do you top being superior at everything for free? It's the same deal with the Mercenary; sure, there are some real great NC carbines, but the Mercenary is about as good as them at whatever they do best plus better than them at what they don't do well and above-average in every category besides.

It's basically an A- weapon in every category while the SABR is an A+ weapon in a bunch of places but a B to B+ in others. Any weapon that's a B at worst is probably a little broken (see also: Cyclone, MCG, Pulsar C), but drat if it isn't amazing to have your worst be even better than a lot of things' best. Did I mention this gun is a default yet?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
The T1 cycler was the first weapon I got an aurax medal for. After that, I switched between using the SABR, TAR, and TRV depending on the fight and my mood. After the TORQ came out though, I've pretty much ignored all my other ARs. The Torq is so much fun to use.

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"

Trouvaille posted:

I get the feeling I would be better at this game if I took the time to l learn the basic subtleties of 'shoot mans'. I SAS messing around last week with 'no ADS just shoot into they die' and it worked out pretty well. I can't seem to kill anyone this week with that tactic. I'm back to my normal 'ADS while moving and aim for the head' and it's working okay I guess? Any veterans want to provide some sage wisdom on the basics?

Well, basically the only thing to add is to try to shoot them before they see you and making the fight unfair whenever possible. Shoot from cover, unexpected angles, use 'nades first, come from behind or flank, etc. Basically just try to give yourself any unfair advantage you can. A lot of those come from experience and "knowing" layouts and normal paths to/from points and spawns. After that, just ADAD and aim for the head* or stand still and aim for the head, depending on what gun you're using.

*Aiming for the head means different things depending on the vertical recoil of your weapon -- sometimes you want to put your crosshairs on the dudes noggin, sometimes you want to aim a little bit lower and let the recoil bring you up to the head.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Nakar posted:

While I don't disagree with your points, the SABR does have certain tradeoffs in order to get its insane upsides. Forced burst-fire mode is one of those, and it can actually throw your aim off worse than recoil does depending on mouse sensitivity and how hard you click your mouse (some people have rough, aggressive clicks that can move their mouse pretty hard, which is easier to work into the flow of an automatic burst than a consistent clicking fest). The DPM is also "only" at NC levels, perish the thought, so you can squeeze almost an extra kill out of the Cycler. The SABR is also loving expensive (unless you were Alpha Squad or something, wasn't the SABR the AS weapon for TR Medic?) while the Cycler is loving free.

The SABR is absolutely retarded and broken and will never be nerfed because the TR are stupid (or stupid like foxes and constantly whining to deflect nerf attention from their good poo poo). No denying it. Same thing is true of the TORQ. But how do you top being superior at everything for free? It's the same deal with the Mercenary; sure, there are some real great NC carbines, but the Mercenary is about as good as them at whatever they do best plus better than them at what they don't do well and above-average in every category besides.

It's basically an A- weapon in every category while the SABR is an A+ weapon in a bunch of places but a B to B+ in others. Any weapon that's a B at worst is probably a little broken (see also: Cyclone, MCG, Pulsar C), but drat if it isn't amazing to have your worst be even better than a lot of things' best. Did I mention this gun is a default yet?

Hey, the NC get several great carbines. The GD-7F and the AC-X11 are both monsters at what they do. Even if they both have trade offs in order to do so.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fans posted:

If you're the sort of person who goes "Might as well push, a medic will pick me up", or end up in a point hold with res nade spam you can do really well in the first while sucking in the second. DA and Recursions method rewards careful gameplay and not being a support class. The games KDR rewards being on a team who doesn't have butts for heads.

This is dumb and rewards kdr whores as opposed to players who actually exit the coward box :eng101:
DA finds what stats make their playstyles look superior and they choose those above all else. (Although apparently they can't get revive stats so I don't really blame them for not including it, that's SOE's fault).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Gaghskull posted:

Hey, the NC get several great carbines. The GD-7F and the AC-X11 are both monsters at what they do. Even if they both have trade offs in order to do so.
The Merc vs. the AC-X11 and the Cycler vs. the SABR-13 are actually a pretty good comparison. Above-average in all categories free default vs. mild tradeoffs for high upsides unlockable. Arguably a matter of preference which is better, but it's not like you're losing if you pick either.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Nakar posted:

KDR Stuff

Maybe it's because Matti4ce has around 20k lolpod kills ?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Pand posted:

Maybe it's because Matti4ce has around 20k lolpod kills ?
I thought that but his IVI KDR is also way, way too high. I've watched his videos and he doesn't seem that good other than suspiciously good accuracy at range (and his overall accuracy score isn't particularly suspect anyway). He's not even alone in this; there's a number of guys in F00L who have similarly crazy KDRs. I have trouble believing that there just happen to be EU players twice as good as DA, and I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't win a Community Clash or Server Smash against Emerald's finest outfits/players either.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Nakar posted:

The Merc vs. the AC-X11 and the Cycler vs. the SABR-13 are actually a pretty good comparison. Above-average in all categories free default vs. mild tradeoffs for high upsides unlockable. Arguably a matter of preference which is better, but it's not like you're losing if you pick either.

I also like the bwa-KROOOOWWWW noise the bullets make on the SABR. The other three don't have that :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Clamps McGraw posted:

I also like the bwa-KROOOOWWWW noise the bullets make on the SABR. The other three don't have that :colbert:
Tross though man. gently caress people who hate that sound, it's godlike and whenever I hear it I'm like "poo poo, some rear end in a top hat around here brought a Tross."

• Locked thread