Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

Dailies should have more variety, bombing, turrets, differing game modes.

No, all dailies should be "Kill 50-80 mobs". Those are so fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Supposedly there's an item drop that lets you skip attunement that drops in DS, so a year from now I assume most guilds will have a decent stockpile to jump new 50s right in.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Thumbtacks posted:

Supposedly there's an item drop that lets you skip attunement that drops in DS, so a year from now I assume most guilds will have a decent stockpile to jump new 50s right in.

Only off the last boss though, so that's entirely dependent on people sticking it out long enough to want to raid on another character throughout the same content again (unless the next raid requires both GA and DS to access it).

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Rhymenoserous posted:

In a years time, dragging new players through old attunement is going to be painful and unfun.

How many goddamn times do people have to say that there's an item you get from raiding that skips attunement entirely for characters

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

The Wicked Wall posted:

Only off the last boss though, so that's entirely dependent on people sticking it out long enough to want to raid on another character throughout the same content again (unless the next raid requires both GA and DS to access it).

I assume the attunement process would unlock all raids, in which case regardless of what comes next after GA and DS (which is probably a long way away since I don't think anyone's got DS on farm yet) you'd still need to do the attunement nonsense.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

Daily dungeon: Huge reward.
Daily adventure: Moderate reward.
Daily quests: Smaller reward.

Getting Malgrave and SSM as your dailies seems like it would be a lot of fun to do on top of raiding :allears:

Sure, dailies are optional, but without good enough incentives you'd have a hard time getting people to even group for them (i mean, not suggesting the incentive structure as-is in the game are just fine), but if the incentives were good enough people would complain about not being able to do them. Daily Quest tends to imply that any regular joe schmoe at level cap can do it and I'm honestly not sure that could apply to SSM. Or at least, a clear of SSM that takes less than 3 hours.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Totalizator posted:

Is there a paid character transfer option in yet?

Sure is.

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

I assume the attunement process would unlock all raids, in which case regardless of what comes next after GA and DS (which is probably a long way away since I don't think anyone's got DS on farm yet) you'd still need to do the attunement nonsense.

The attunement has separate steps for GA and DS so it's very likely there will be more required in the future.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I went Explorer on my character instead of Soldier since that one seemed kind of boring-- but dear god is explorer annoying. I'd actually prefer Soldier now it seems.

About half of the path quests are loving annoying as poo poo-- way more than the worst of the actual zone quests. I thought explorer would be 100% "climb this random tall thing you see, fukken awesome!" or "race to the bottom of this without taking fall damage within 30 seconds, awesome!" and not "go find these random puzzle locations that we barely give you any hints about".

And the fall damage reduction is NOT a passive buff, what the gently caress? And you can either have the translocator beacon OR the stop fall speed, but not both at the same time. gently caress. And the beacon is a little annoying because I'd like to be able to reset it to a new location without beaming back to the previous place first. gently caress gently caress.

Oh yeah and the buff time length for the explorer flags is way too short. I barely find the next flag by the time the first one runs out. Oh and the cavesthat are short cuts? I thought they would be like instant-transportation once you click it, not a loving un-mountable cave with mobs and no map to know where the gently caress it leads to.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 8, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

And the fall damage reduction is NOT a passive buff, what the gently caress? And you can either have the translocator beacon OR the stop fall speed, but not both at the same time. gently caress. And the beacon is a little annoying because I'd like to be able to reset it to a new location without beaming back to the previous place first. gently caress gently caress.

You can reset your beacon without porting back to it by clicking off the buff on your buff bar that corresponds to having a beacon placed.

Air Brakes are actually pretty nice. I use them in battlegrounds to save myself 1k-2k damage. Also useful when running around Grimvault and your class has a 30 second cooldown on its movement skill.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Zoness posted:

You can reset your beacon without porting back to it by clicking off the buff on your buff bar that corresponds to having a beacon placed.

Thanks for this. One less annoying thing about explorer in comparison to the 10 other things that seem to loving suck.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Styrka posted:

The attunement has separate steps for GA and DS so it's very likely there will be more required in the future.

In which case being able to skip the attunement for GA and DS will be helpful, and I assume in future raids they'll still let you skip attunements of whatever the current content is.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Sooo no patch today? I thought Tuesdays were patch days. Or was that never officially the case?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

FuSchnick posted:

Sooo no patch today? I thought Tuesdays were patch days. Or was that never officially the case?

From the livestream (literally seconds ago) - PTR for update #2 is supposedly going up

They've usually been doing the weekly patch updates on Wednesday or Thursday though

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a place where this information will be posted in text?

edit: did that dev seriously just say "We don't want our fights to be dependent on RNG"?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Doublestep posted:

How many goddamn times do people have to say that there's an item you get from raiding that skips attunement entirely for characters

A stupid system that allows you to circumvent another stupid system does not magically make it a good system.

jeeves posted:

I went Explorer on my character instead of Soldier since that one seemed kind of boring-- but dear god is explorer annoying. I'd actually prefer Soldier now it seems.

About half of the path quests are loving annoying as poo poo-- way more than the worst of the actual zone quests. I thought explorer would be 100% "climb this random tall thing you see, fukken awesome!" or "race to the bottom of this without taking fall damage within 30 seconds, awesome!" and not "go find these random puzzle locations that we barely give you any hints about".

Oh yeah and the buff time length for the explorer flags is way too short. I barely find the next flag by the time the first one runs out. Oh and the cavesthat are short cuts? I thought they would be like instant-transportation once you click it, not a loving un-mountable cave with mobs and no map to know where the gently caress it leads to.

The best way to deal with explorer is to just ignore it to 50 then blitz it in a day.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Deceptive Thinker posted:

From the livestream (literally seconds ago) - PTR for update #2 is supposedly going up

They've usually been doing the weekly patch updates on Wednesday or Thursday though

Is that the one with dungeon and pvp changes? Or the one with the new dungeons/raids?

FuSchnick posted:

Is there a place where this information will be posted in text?

edit: did that dev seriously just say "We don't want our fights to be dependent on RNG"?

PTR forums.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Rhymenoserous posted:

A stupid system that allows you to circumvent another stupid system does not magically make it a good system.

The best way to deal with explorer is to just ignore it to 50 then blitz it in a day.
All attunement tokens reserved for A-Team alts and guild officer girlfriends.

errant wit
Jul 21, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

What sort of benefits other than faster leveling are there to doing PVP before the level cap? Unless I'm understanding things wrong, the gear you get from it isn't fantastic in PVE?

In my case, PvP leveling allows me to make a habit of dodging telegraphs and managing cooldowns at a fast pace. I do miss out on reputation grinds, questing currency, and leveling my path (although I could do this in between queues) but I find that I value my ability to quickly react to situations without dying over monetary gain. Additionally, queueing for a dungeon at 20 with random people is significantly worse than queueing with a bunch of randoms for a quick BG, in my experience.

I get gear upgrades, AMPs, and decor through PvP bags. I've only just hit level 31 or 32, but I've almost completed my level 50 PvP set because Prestige is accumulated very quickly. Even if 50 PvP gear sucks compared to questing greens, I basically didn't have to try very hard for it and could probably pull off entry level adventures or regular dungeons at 50. My 50 healy Esper is in poo poo gear and did just fine, so who knows. If decor and making small bits of change from AMPs is something somewhat worthwhile to you, then it's an easy win as you get a bag regardless of winning or losing a BG.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Taking bets on the name of the splinter guild that gets made by super try-hard poop sockers. Already see people whining about having to "carry other people" half a nanosecond after they get done whining about not having enough people ready to do raids. Next step is gear score elitism and clique-y circle jerking where someone won't run a normal vet dungeon with other people that don't meet their personal requirements.

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

They just said the next dungeon in PTR is going to be a game show theme run by Protostar. That sounds pretty awesome.

(still wish they would prioritize fixing existing bugs more though)

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

SumYungGui posted:

Taking bets on the name of the splinter guild that gets made by super try-hard poop sockers. Already see people whining about having to "carry other people" half a nanosecond after they get done whining about not having enough people ready to do raids. Next step is gear score elitism and clique-y circle jerking where someone won't run a normal vet dungeon with other people that don't meet their personal requirements.

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.
Gear isn't a hard requirement. The brick wall at dungeons is really about execution. For most of us doing attunements, it is a lot of time and money spent on trying again and again and again. The margin for error in silver medals is so narrow, that it is really difficult to bring new people in and train them. Most people who have gotten their silver medal in a tough instance find it very hard to get motivated to go through that again for new people.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

FuSchnick posted:

Gear isn't a hard requirement. The brick wall at dungeons is really about execution. For most of us doing attunements, it is a lot of time and money spent on trying again and again and again. The margin for error in silver medals is so narrow, that it is really difficult to bring new people in and train them. Most people who have gotten their silver medal in a tough instance find it very hard to get motivated to go through that again for new people.

I sure hope this is a tuning issue and not "working as intended" because that sure as poo poo doesn't sound like a sustainable difficulty mechanic for a game expecting to retain customers long term.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

FuSchnick posted:

Game development doesn't work like that. Artists making a pretty new dungeon doesn't take any time away from a server engineer fixing your pet bug.

EDIT:

FuSchnick posted:

This is true, but I've been noticing that once my group clears a vet dungeon, the second time around is miles ahead of how we did the previous. It feels like once everything clicks and your group figures out each person's duty, the second time around has a much wider margin for error.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

FuSchnick posted:

It's not that narrow. We silvered a KV at 39:20 with 4 wipes on Slavemaster Drokk. Not even fast wipes, most of them were last phase wipes with us just playing like sloplords after raid time. Rune slots are a great motivation for most of us to go back and do that stuff again, also.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

FuSchnick posted:

They just said the next dungeon in PTR is going to be a game show theme run by Protostar. That sounds pretty awesome.

God yes, I was hoping for this since I stepped into the first Protostar quest hub :fap:

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Pryce posted:

Game development doesn't work like that. Artists making a pretty new dungeon doesn't take any time away from a server engineer fixing your pet bug.
New content requires engineering and testing too, it isn't just art.

And it isn't "my pet bug", it is stuff like bosses/adventures bugging out and wasting our time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FuSchnick posted:

Gear isn't a hard requirement.

Yet. It's not the game putting in this mechanic that I'm referring to. I'm saying what is coming next is people will start to ask "Do you have XYZ gear score? If not I'm not going to do anything with you"

I understand the incentive in these situations and why it happens. It's not a big mystery that the majority of people that get past hurdle ABC don't want to do it again. It's basically inevitable really, which is why I'm taking bets on the name in a joking manner and ended with the quote I did.

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010

FuSchnick posted:

The last boss requires a coin toss victory after a 10m fight. So yeah, would be nice for that to not be a thing.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

FuSchnick posted:

That does sound pretty awesome. I hope it's like Running Man meets Borderlands.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

FuSchnick posted:

Agreed I don't want more content right now I want content that works.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Styrka posted:

Future attunements will almost certainly be completed in raids. If they want to continue to stress all their players out, it will be optional poo poo in raids. If they are smart it will be simpler attunement like "kill last boss in x and y raid for access to z".

I hope that all the people saying execution >>>> gear are right because this game is hellbent on dropping every piece of light and medium gear when I'm the only heavy armor wearer, and in the runs with 3 warriors and an engi it's a rain of gear I lose all the rolls on. I'm good at execution and even look up fights when I know it's not something you can't learn on the fly, but the whole "3 pieces of gear per adventure and maybe another if you get a medal" is pretty far behind what I'm used to. Is that just the rose coloring or do other MMOs drop more gear? Or is that just adventures being a piece of poo poo and dungeons drop more than 1 per boss?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Szcwczuk posted:

Agreed I don't want more content right now I want content that works.

Of course this comes up all the time when people talk about bugs in MMOs, but very rarely is the team that is in charge of creating new content also the team that is in charge of fixing bugs on projects this large.

Don't get me wrong I wish they'd fix bugs faster, but I bet the people making the areas for new raids and such literally have no idea how to fix the costume interface or whatever.

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010

Eldercain posted:

Future attunements will almost certainly be completed in raids. If they want to continue to stress all their players out, it will be optional poo poo in raids. If they are smart it will be simpler attunement like "kill last boss in x and y raid for access to z".

I hope that all the people saying execution >>>> gear are right because this game is hellbent on dropping every piece of light and medium gear when I'm the only heavy armor wearer, and in the runs with 3 warriors and an engi it's a rain of gear I lose all the rolls on. I'm good at execution and even look up fights when I know it's not something you can't learn on the fly, but the whole "3 pieces of gear per adventure and maybe another if you get a medal" is pretty far behind what I'm used to. Is that just the rose coloring or do other MMOs drop more gear? Or is that just adventures being a piece of poo poo and dungeons drop more than 1 per boss?

The problem is there being much more weight put on runes. Even if the item you need drops and you win it, it's gotta have some fusion and fire (or whatever) slots otherwise it's garbage -- ideally it'll do that while also having 4 slots. Raid gear is on average better, but you get to roll those rune slots so many fewer times that it's difficult to find pieces that are actual upgrades for you. Cheap crafted items are so good because they drop most of that rune randomization into the main stat on the item itself and most of the time you're only rolling one rune, thus guaranteeing a decent piece while you slam dungeons hunting for better ones.

e: Yeah, dungeons have challenges that, if completed, drop loot; usually one per boss and an extra event one, as well as medal awards. So 3-9 pieces depending on how you do.

Styrka fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 8, 2014

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

It can be very frustrating, between run times and fairly arbitrary silver/gold requirements, mix this in with the fact that a fair bit of dungeon gear is a flat downgrade from crafted gear. I think something is explicitly broken in your end game if the main reason to run content is to check off an "Attunement" box. As it stands now the main carrot for running veteran anything ever is sometimes i get neat non craftable decor pieces. That's just silly.

Itemization is really loving bad in this game and it needs a hard looking at, and diceroll rune slots are obnoxious as gently caress.

I also spent about two hours ranting about how god awful the daily system in this game is. This is something WoW got right, and went horribly pear shaped in this game.

Dailies should have more variety, bombing, turrets, differing game modes.

They should be split into a few categories as well:

Daily dungeon: Huge reward.
Daily adventure: Moderate reward.
Daily quests: Smaller reward.

And the daily quests should be capped, randomized and the rewards upped so you don't spend an hour a day doing the same quests over and over again.

Right now all level 50 play stinks of "Well this other game had X so we must have it too!" then the laziest implementation of said mechanic is put in. In a years time, dragging new players through old attunement is going to be painful and unfun.
Blighthaven is worse. Hell, I don't mind the current two daily hubs since they can be knocked out in about an 60-90 minutes depending on your class/gear and whether or not you do the challenges.

With Blighthaven, there is no solo option. Your dailies are killing a five-man mob in the nursery, hoping there's enough people online to do the Drusera event, and then there's loving Scorch "I have a 60-120 minute respawn timer" wing. The only real option you have for getting Blighthaven rep by yourself is hoping other people are doing the Drusera thing. It's just incredibly poo poo design.

Also, the rep grind is miserable, which is surprising considering how smooth it was before 50. It'll take well over a month to grind out Beloved for Badlands/Wastes. Wasters has epics and high-quality blus, so it's more understandable. Badlands, however, has very meh gear and the beloved reward are weapons that are easily trumped by crafted stuff. What's even worse is that the two share identical gear rewards at one rep level.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

is there a ratingbuster type addon for this game yet?

I feel there's too many stats to properly evaluate an upgrade or not in the roll time limit for a piece of gear that MAY be an upgrade but has all different stats.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
You can cheese drusera's tree with just two people. Basically let the blight win, then when all the blight corrupters (Or whatever they are called) ring the tree just spam AOE attacks while running a circle around it. You'll save the tree with a bronze reward.

Yeah it's dumb as gently caress.

You basically win by going afk next to a save zone for 7 minutes at a time, doing some AOE attacks for a few minutes, then going afk again.

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

You can cheese drusera's tree with just two people. Basically let the blight win, then when all the blight corrupters (Or whatever they are called) ring the tree just spam AOE attacks while running a circle around it. You'll save the tree with a bronze reward.

Yeah it's dumb as gently caress.

You basically win by going afk next to a save zone for 7 minutes at a time, doing some AOE attacks for a few minutes, then going afk again.

I did the entire thing solo yesterday at lunch. In phase 1 summon all the 'reward' seeds and then they won't respawn in phase 2 or 3. The strain walk right up and kill the primals for quick phases.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Reason posted:

Of course this comes up all the time when people talk about bugs in MMOs, but very rarely is the team that is in charge of creating new content also the team that is in charge of fixing bugs on projects this large.

Don't get me wrong I wish they'd fix bugs faster, but I bet the people making the areas for new raids and such literally have no idea how to fix the costume interface or whatever.

People will never, ever believe this.

Here's an even harder to believe (but true!) fact: hiring more programmers does NOT improve the time it takes to fix things. On big projects, senior level programmers spend most of their time fixing low-level programmers code, and (for example) doubling the number of coders can actually have a negative impact on efficiency for a long time. The ideal scenario is a sweet-spot in which you have a relatively small, dedicated group of senior programmers who are all extremely familiar with the code base and work well together.

But who gives a gently caress, right? Bugs in MMOs are frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

I'm having BBQs in style now :krad:

• Locked thread