Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I got a call last week from a user whose label printer had stopped working. There's pretty much nothing you can do to troubleshoot these things so after power cycling it with no effect I just sent her out a new one and told her to mail the old one back, with a note on it that it was bad so we wouldn't accidentally return the new box to inventory. I assumed the label printer had just failed like a lot of these do, but apparently there were deeper reasons that it wouldn't work for us anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Godsped posted:

…from the library.

Computers slow/infected. Which ones? Student worker can't identify the tags on them. I'm starting to be afraid I'm racist because it's another ESL student whose English is on the bad side of mediocre.

I would have gone to check it out, if the library weren't closing a minute later. Guess that's the first thing on tomorrow's agenda!

I'm a horrible person with no compassion, but I would have said "if you cant tell me which computer(s) have the problem, I cannot fix the issue" and then closed the ticket. I'm generous enough to let someone request help with something as unspecific as "the computer is slow" but I draw the line at not telling me which computer. You must be at least that specific.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I bet it was made in the USSR. That should have raised a red flag :colbert:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Renegret posted:

Boooooo! *HISSSS*

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I get a call at 5:30 AM this morning.

"Everything is down. Server, Email, Web. Everything"

I ask if they have internet connection, he says yes everything on his end works.

So I log onto my phone and RDP directly into the server. Works fine. Email tests fine, website is online. So I ask him to browse to CNN.com. Doesn't. loving. load.

He then proceeds to complain to me that he hates his ISP. Mind you it's still 5 in the loving AM.

I hate him.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Renegret posted:

Goddamn it I'm not supposed to laugh at that.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

The whole spreadsheet is insane (40 worksheets, one for each employee to fill out? Linked tables? Scrunching up columns instead of hiding them?) but this "ratio" function is the worst bit. An access database would be an improvement.

I might do something to replace this excel spreadsheet anyway, the department head who owns it has always been nice and only asked us for help as a last resort, as the person who made it no longer works for her.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm on the fence about how to reply to this:

quote:

Subject: Unable to access
Category: Network drives
Body: Screenshot of "Access denied" for a network folder.
Should I play dumb and close the ticket with "Confirmed, you do not have access."? I've never done that before.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Santa is strapped posted:

Should I play dumb and close the ticket with "Confirmed, you do not have access."? I've never done that before.

Do this. Please.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Are you inferring that it's a certainty they shouldn't have access? If you're not sure check in AD if there isn't some obvious sign that they should have access but it was done wrong. Either way I generally reply with something along these lines:

"We checked on our end and your account doesn't have access to this folder. If this is incorrect and you should have access, please [procedure for having access added, e.g. fill out this form and/or contact this important person and have them forward an authorization confirmation to us]."

I know some companies we support don't even want people to be able to see folders they can't access (I guess to avoid these kinds of tickets) and there's some weird AD shenanigans you can perform to accomplish this.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Check to make sure he doesn't have access first. You'd have egg on your face if he did and it was an unrelated problem like a wrong password!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

univbee posted:

I know some companies we support don't even want people to be able to see folders they can't access (I guess to avoid these kinds of tickets) and there's some weird AD shenanigans you can perform to accomplish this.

List permissions aren't exactly weird AD shenanigans.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

univbee posted:

Are you inferring that it's a certainty they shouldn't have access? If you're not sure check in AD if there isn't some obvious sign that they should have access but it was done wrong. Either way I generally reply with something along these lines:

"We checked on our end and your account doesn't have access to this folder. If this is incorrect and you should have access, please [procedure for having access added, e.g. fill out this form and/or contact this important person and have them forward an authorization confirmation to us)."

Yea they can have access, and yea they currently do not. What you said might work though - I can close the ticket telling them to put in a ticket to request access to the folder. (instead of giving me a statement). It sounds a bit assholish though... and this guy is cool.

Meh, gently caress it, "Access granted."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sickening posted:

List permissions aren't exactly weird AD shenanigans.

Early in the morning there isn't a lot that isn't weird AD shenanigans, but yeah, you're right, it was more complicated in my caffeine-lacking head.

Yea they can have access, and yea they currently do not.

If you know for-sure they should then yeah, just give them the access.

EDIT ah, you did.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

I'd open a HP and hotswap the drive.

Oh, he wasn't happy with just swapping the drive - he wanted, for whatever reason, some kind of written confirmation from HP that the drive was bad and required swapping, and why it failed or what efforts were taken to ascertain why and the reason they were inconclusive.

Dead serious.

He asked this to be done at random - I'd report on my AM data center walkthrough (yes, he required a physical walkthrough of the data center every morning) that a drive was bad and that I'd order a replacement. Then came the "why did it fail?" or the "OK, replace" at no real interval, just because.

Now that I look back, I think he's as close to a neckbeard as I've ever had as a boss.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Congratulations co-worker on successfully preventing that remote hacker from running a malwarebytes scan on a laptop possibly infected with spyware :toot:

Jesus, what did they think "I'm going to remote in and take a look" actually meant?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

univbee posted:

Early in the morning there isn't a lot that isn't weird AD shenanigans, but yeah, you're right, it was more complicated in my caffeine-lacking head.

If you know for-sure they should then yeah, just give them the access.

EDIT ah, you did.

Access Based Enumeration? I've started using it, makes folders look much tidier. Also worth it for the calls from people saying that loads of files have 'gone missing'

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hihifellow posted:

Congratulations co-worker on successfully preventing that remote hacker from running a malwarebytes scan on a laptop possibly infected with spyware :toot:

Jesus, what did they think "I'm going to remote in and take a look" actually meant?

To be fair, have you looked at what Malwarebytes looks like now? If I hadn't used it before, my first instinct upon seeing it would be to kill it with fire, too.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

hihifellow posted:

Perhaps they just didn't put 2+2 together, and assumed that they got hacked by the spyware? Wouldn't be surpised.

Of course then again, when I worked client: I had people that would have me work on their systems, then - since the remote tool would always give the user ultimate control of the system - they would go back to working and I couldn't do what they wanted me to do.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

MJP posted:

He asked this to be done at random - I'd report on my AM data center walkthrough (yes, he required a physical walkthrough of the data center every morning) that a drive was bad and that I'd order a replacement. Then came the "why did it fail?" or the "OK, replace" at no real interval, just because.

I don't think it's unreasonable to do a daily data center walk-thru. We actually do four of them a day and record our temperature and humidity levels for all six air handlers and the loads on our nine power distribution units for the purpose of establishing baselines. Then if something is really out of whack it doesn't blindside us because we already know what the average measurements should be and a spike for one reason or another will get spotted before it becomes a major issue. We also spend the time to check to make sure no drives have gone bad. Only takes 15 minutes, but it makes us look good to the detachment commander, which is a win-win in our book.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Lightning Jim posted:

Perhaps they just didn't put 2+2 together, and assumed that they got hacked by the spyware? Wouldn't be surpised.

Of course then again, when I worked client: I had people that would have me work on their systems, then - since the remote tool would always give the user ultimate control of the system - they would go back to working and I couldn't do what they wanted me to do.

At least our remote tools can lock users out of the system if we want, but I can't do anything to prevent someone holding down the power button.

edit: apparently the two users who knew I was going in to the system walked away as soon as they were told, other users came by, freaked out over it doing things by itself, found my co-worker who happened to be nearby, he tried texting on his cell phone (which he had no signal on, got his texts way after he left that building) and then just shut down the laptop after I locked the remote mouse/keyboard after he tried to take control. I know malwarebytes is looking a little fbi moneypak lately but this stuff is his job as much as it is mine, he should know better.

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 8, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This is a long shot, but does anyone know of a cheap HP Laserjet that can support Edge-To-Edge printing with stable Windows 2003 32-bit drivers?

Some idiot billing company changed their pre-printed form to go 4mm from the edge and now it's my problem to buy a new printer and make sure the drivers work without bringing down the print server.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your chances of finding a laser with those sorts of margins are pretty slim.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Ignore the cheap and stable part, do any HP laser printers go edge to edge?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

thebigcow posted:

Ignore the cheap and stable part, do any HP laser printers go edge to edge?

No, not without going to the hilarious print shop style printers. The kind that generally like 50 Amps of 240V power, or a 3 phase line.

Cheap compared to a Learjet, sure!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I think you guys will also get some use for this and not everyone checks the certification thread but:

MSDN posted a shitload of reference books for free download.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I know I've said this again but gently caress Quickbooks.

For some reason the option to integrate it with Outlook 2013 to email out forms doesn't show up and I can't troubleshoot it on my PC because the registration fails everytime I attempt to open up the program.

Now I have to boot the president off of her computer so I can muck around for a while to figure out why it's all hosed.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

m.hache posted:

So I get a call at 5:30 AM this morning.

"Everything is down. Server, Email, Web. Everything"

I ask if they have internet connection, he says yes everything on his end works.

So I log onto my phone and RDP directly into the server. Works fine. Email tests fine, website is online. So I ask him to browse to CNN.com. Doesn't. loving. load.

He then proceeds to complain to me that he hates his ISP. Mind you it's still 5 in the loving AM.

I hate him.

I hate people like that - is it seriously that difficult to open a web browser and check for internet? Or hell, even look at the drat modem to see if it's got activity lights?

I had a good chuckle from a recent client - he emails me that his colleague was getting bouncebacks when trying to email their VP. Never happened before, they want us to check the spam filter, make sure O365 is online and working, I verify it all and it's up and running. I can log in with our admin account, have other users send test messages, I even sent a test to the VP to make sure it's all good. Colleague having the trouble finally forwards me the bounced/returned email...and he'd spelled the VP's name wrong in the address line. :doh:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ozz81 posted:

I hate people like that - is it seriously that difficult to open a web browser and check for internet? Or hell, even look at the drat modem to see if it's got activity lights?

Well, in his defence it could've been a DNS error and whatever he was doing before (or anything with long-running connections) was working fine.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

I'd like to hear the opinions of other people, has this ever happened to you? How do you deal with that?

Cut your losses and look for another place to work. It sounds like there's a level of distrust there and you may not be able to gain it back regardless of whether or not you cheated (you didn't).

A friend of mine left a company after they requested he undergo a random drug screening. This wasn't the entire company, or a group of people, just him. When he pissed clean, he resigned a month later after receiving an offer for a better job. He didn't burn a bridge in the exit interview, but his explanation was "the trust is gone".

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to do a daily data center walk-thru. We actually do four of them a day and record our temperature and humidity levels for all six air handlers and the loads on our nine power distribution units for the purpose of establishing baselines. Then if something is really out of whack it doesn't blindside us because we already know what the average measurements should be and a spike for one reason or another will get spotted before it becomes a major issue. We also spend the time to check to make sure no drives have gone bad. Only takes 15 minutes, but it makes us look good to the detachment commander, which is a win-win in our book.

Im not completely opposed to walkthroughs, but all of this can be done remotely. (Do you not have connected AC and power control?)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Im not completely opposed to walkthroughs, but all of this can be done remotely. (Do you not have connected AC and power control?)

Sensors can fail and report last-known data. :colbert:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The MSP I work for has had the pleasure of offboarding a notoriously difficult client. This is a memory of them from/for the archives:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wilford Cutlery posted:

The MSP I work for has had the pleasure of offboarding a notoriously difficult client. This is a memory of them from/for the archives:

I see your problem. You have a yellow one where the grey ones are.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wilford Cutlery posted:

At the very least (it appears) that there is a piece of red tape on each end denoting what it is/plugs into or something, so even the unplugged ones are labeled!

canis minor
May 4, 2011

deimos posted:

Well, in his defence it could've been a DNS error and whatever he was doing before (or anything with long-running connections) was working fine.

This is what I've thought as well - internet connection will display as working though you won't really be able to load anything - you'll indeed have to open the browser etc.

m.hache posted:

For some reason the option to integrate it with Outlook 2013 to email out forms doesn't show up and I can't troubleshoot it on my PC because the registration fails everytime I attempt to open up the program.

Now I have to boot the president off of her computer so I can muck around for a while to figure out why it's all hosed.

Quickbooks integration was the worst and most wrong thing I've had to do so far. Fortunately the client decided not to proceed with it (of course only after I've already done it; don't ask)
The sight of "your company was corrupted, please restart your company" or something similar still makes me chuckle though.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

m.hache posted:

If you're running Office 2013 64bit; there are pretty much no plugins that work with it.

Quickbooks has a report builder that integrates with Excel, but only 32 bit editions. Even if you're running 2013 32bit; there's always the one plugin that won't work with 2013.

Content:

Sales Manager: "Outlook is too slow!"

85K unread messages in his inbox. Out of over 140K total. Going back to 2010.

He's not the biggest email packrat; just keeps everything in the inbox.

The biggest is actually good about sorting his poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I don't think that's what is meant by "stackable switches."

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
This hard drive really, really, really didn't want to be a hard drive.

I'm too lazy to look it up but since it's a 160gb drive, I'm pretty sure that's every sector on the entire disk.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheFuzzyLumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Pretty much, yes.

• Locked thread