Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

net work error posted:

Coming from a techno perspective, German/Berlin techno will generally be much more bleep heavy, generally in triplets of some kind. Detroit techno I've found to favor the bloop more but either is fair game as long as they flow for at least a beat. If you're more tech house inclined definitely stick to bloops because a bleep stands out too much and usually isn't favorable in that kind of genre.

Here's what I think of your conservative, genre-dominated view on electronic music

Bleep bloop brrrrrrlllllllzzzapp

avant-garde, motherfuckers :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I think we're just roleplaying people who do make music.
You're in a forest. Your foot is stuck in an entanglement of midi cables. To your left you see a TB-303 being attacked by an iPad with Bejeweled on it. On your right a computer endlessly plays an odd three bar loop.

Let's roll for inspiration!

Oh no! A boutique synth manufacturer pushes an ad through to the iPad and kicks you in the wallet! You pre-order their newest vaporware. Subtract $2800.

Sorry Gaia, you went over budget which caused a quick divorce! Use Ramen? [Y/n]_

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Just put a backlit LCD into a Casio CZ-101. Surprisingly, the job only took a little more than two hours. It feels oddly good to have my first real synth again. I'd forgotten how good and strange that thing sounds. Regardless of the similarities in synthesis type, it sounds very little like any Yamaha FM synth. Once I find a good internal battery mod for it, I'll be good to go.
Weird, I put a backlit LCD into my gameboy last week. If I had the same level of productivity for making music as I have for replacing screens, I'd have an EP done by now.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Sizone posted:

Just put a backlit LCD into a Casio CZ-101. Surprisingly, the job only took a little more than two hours. It feels oddly good to have my first real synth again. I'd forgotten how good and strange that thing sounds. Regardless of the similarities in synthesis type, it sounds very little like any Yamaha FM synth. Once I find a good internal battery mod for it, I'll be good to go.
Weird, I put a backlit LCD into my gameboy last week. If I had the same level of productivity for making music as I have for replacing screens, I'd have an EP done by now.

YEAH BUT DIDN'T IT SUCK TAKING IT APART?

I'm in the middle of a CZ 101 repair as well. Have to replace one of the 16 dip logic flip flop ICs as well as put in a new LCD and remove any battery grime I find. I've had a stack of CZ PCBs sitting on my desk for the past week. I need to order the drat parts already so I can get this synth wrapped up and ready to rock but with the way the CZ is designed I'm not looking forward to stuffing all these boards back into the case in a very specific order. I might need to figure out a battery mod as well since some people suggested the issues I was experiencing might be related to that. The CZ 101 has a big capacitor that it treats as a battery, so it's not as easy as swapping in a CR3032 and battery holder.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I brought my MKS-50 back from that great pawn shop in the sky and threw something together to welcome it back.
https://soundcloud.com/oldstench/kmk

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
I have a Yamaha KX8 that suffers from extreme latency when I have it plugged into my computer. Would using an external power source help with this at all? It's currently only powered through the USB connection.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

YEAH BUT DIDN'T IT SUCK TAKING IT APART?

I'm in the middle of a CZ 101 repair as well. Have to replace one of the 16 dip logic flip flop ICs as well as put in a new LCD and remove any battery grime I find. I've had a stack of CZ PCBs sitting on my desk for the past week. I need to order the drat parts already so I can get this synth wrapped up and ready to rock but with the way the CZ is designed I'm not looking forward to stuffing all these boards back into the case in a very specific order. I might need to figure out a battery mod as well since some people suggested the issues I was experiencing might be related to that. The CZ 101 has a big capacitor that it treats as a battery, so it's not as easy as swapping in a CR3032 and battery holder.

For the LCD replacement, it wasn't bad. Only had to take the back part of the case off and the top two boards, the LCD bracket was easily removable without pulling any of the other boards. Gonna try and order one of these today, hopefully the dude still has some in stock and is answering his emails

http://www.artefacts.nl/Products.html

Kind of a bummer that it's so involved, putting in a backup battery for the HT-700 was just a matter of two diodes, a cr3032, a cap and 3 leads.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

unclenutzzy posted:

I have a Yamaha KX8 that suffers from extreme latency

Latency is a problem with your sound card's drivers, not with your controller.

Do you have an audio interface, or are you using the on-board soundcard? In the first case, install the ASIO drivers and select those in your DAW.

In the second case, buy a real audio interface instead of a potato, or, as a stopgap measure, install ASIO4ALL. While ASIO4ALL will do an adequate job reducing latency, it won't give you better/more inputs/outputs, which is why you should buy an audio interface anyway.

Audio interfaces won't magically make everything faster, but their drivers provide low-latency access for the software - which means that rendered audio will take milliseconds to arrive instead of seconds because it has to punch through a dozen software layers.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Laserjet 4P posted:

In the second case, buy a real audio interface instead of a potato,

I can't say I've ever been happy with my focusrite 18:6. Now you got me kinda tempted to plug a usb cable into a potato then plug my amp and stuff into that potato. At least the control panel interface would be more stable.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
When you guys start playing live gigs, please please please, be chill, cooperative and helpful to the organisers.

Do not be an arrogant, inconsiderate idiot who expresses great initial enthusiasm then dithers around failing to confirm/respond until the last moment before getting the huff 'cos they've not been given the "top billing" spot and every unearned consideration they can imagine.

Funnily enough, seasoned, musicians who make experimental sounds always fall into the first category, whilst the second group seems to exclusively be the domain of young, unknown, genre-fadded twits convinced that they're already the next Deadmau5.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

ynohtna posted:

Funnily enough, seasoned, musicians who make experimental sounds always fall into the first category

We're just happy to have the gig, man.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Oldstench posted:

We're just happy to have the gig, man.

Aye, and that always shines through in the wonderful end results!

Another corollary is that its the non-experimentalists who complain about needing sound checks and continual engineering, yet even if/when they do get them they're unable to sculpt a sonic turd capable of being polished. Of course, that's 100% the fault of the main mixer, PA and venue. They got a Push for christmas therefore they're a pro!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is anyone good at the Yamaha CS1x? I'm trying to sync the arpeggiator to the midi clock on my TR-8 but the TR-8 also happens to be sending on channel 10 which is triggering the drums on my CS1x. I can turn the drums off individually per preset on multi play mode (which is a huge menu-diving pain in the rear end) but can't get them out of the performance mode. Alternately, can I turn off omni / midi send on the TR-8 and still have it send the clock? I read the manual but it doesn't say if clock is exclusive of channel send.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Is anyone good at the Yamaha CS1x? I'm trying to sync the arpeggiator to the midi clock on my TR-8 but the TR-8 also happens to be sending on channel 10 which is triggering the drums on my CS1x. I can turn the drums off individually per preset on multi play mode (which is a huge menu-diving pain in the rear end) but can't get them out of the performance mode. Alternately, can I turn off omni / midi send on the TR-8 and still have it send the clock? I read the manual but it doesn't say if clock is exclusive of channel send.

I may be misunderstanding something here, but can't you just tell the CS1x to receive only on e.g. channel 1?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Maybe, but it also has different sound engines and "layers" all going at the same time.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

ynohtna posted:

When you guys start playing live gigs, please please please, be chill, cooperative and helpful to the organisers.

I run a booking agency, and unfortunately I can tell exactly the same story about people organizing parties.
Some promotors just have no loving clue.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 8, 2014

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
It sounds a lot like there's a story behind this rant that I'd love to hear.

Being a DJ has helped me understand that one of the keys to success is making my promoter/soundguy/other event staff happy first and foremost. Especially the sound guy. If they aren't happy, no one's happy.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Dessert Rose posted:

It sounds a lot like there's a story behind this rant that I'd love to hear.

Being a DJ has helped me understand that one of the keys to success is making my promoter/soundguy/other event staff happy first and foremost. Especially the sound guy. If they aren't happy, no one's happy.

I blow everyone FOH before any show. Does wonders.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

My band has had an amazing increase in the number of calls we get for shows* recently. Simply by thanking the sound guy mid set, telling people to go get a drink from _[bartender]_, and asking them to check out the promoter's FB page or whatever in addition to calling out our band name. Cheesy, but they seem thankful for it.

My frontman is great at getting people going and dances for any other band(s) playing and gets the dancefloor lively.

*More than 0 is an amazing increase for us :haw:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Sjoewe posted:

I run a booking agency, and unfortunately I can tell exactly the same story about people organizing parties.
Some promotors just have no loving clue.

Well this being internet and I all I won't go too much into detail, but I never forget this one time I specified 2m2 of free table space for _expensive_ live equipment and the promotor thought he fulfilled that requirement by placing an additional salon table next to the DJ-booth.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ynohtna posted:

Do not be an arrogant, inconsiderate idiot who expresses great initial enthusiasm then dithers around failing to confirm/respond until the last moment before getting the huff 'cos they've not been given the "top billing" spot and every unearned consideration they can imagine.

Funnily enough, seasoned, musicians who make experimental sounds always fall into the first category, whilst the second group seems to exclusively be the domain of young, unknown, genre-fadded twits convinced that they're already the next Deadmau5.

As always, "try being a nice person who is considerate of others instead of being a human-shaped turd" is advice that works. Applies to pretty much all areas of life.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Anybody on Maschine 2? I can't figure out how to audition (or as they call it, 'prehear') sounds/samples in either the stand alone or VST. The little speaker/slider icon that is supposed to be active is no where to be found.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Finally caught up in the thread, couldn't count the number of times over the past week I've just popped into Ableton for hours trying out fun patches. Been playing with Diva to figure out the analog modulation, but when I get to sound design, I always find myself popping open Operator to start creating the sound.

Current setup ain't much:

Push, APC40, M-Audio 88es, MOTU 828mk2.

Biggest helper for me so far has been Martin Russ' Sound Synthesis and Sampling

Doing a bang-up job of surveying all synthesis. There were a couple things about sample-rate and the squared waveforms it doesn't create the book gets wrong, but all in all, it's a solid foundation for me so far. Any other good texts on audio synthesis are much appreciated; I'm not interested in going all foley room on anything, but enough so I can manifest the aural dream using digital tools, hooray.

This brings me to my next point: I have my own electronics workshop, and I want to build my first analog synth. I had an Oberheim OB12 way back when, but the LCD needed repair and it was not a good introductory synth for me. I've seen the Shruthi XT kit, and am very intrigued, but $500+ is a bit out of my price range. What kinda kit can I get recommended that's <$300, extensible, and friendly to modification? I don't have any MIDI running in my current setup, and would love to be able to dive in via the MOTU. Also, the next big arty community over from me is Marfa, and as my town's tech, I feel it's my responsibility to push the ADSR envelope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJcbOIpIFaY

I want knobs. Badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIrGQdZRKDA

I also just found Harmonia after being a BoC fan since really young, and can't tell if I'm approaching my life's purpose in the greater consciousness of the universe or am being led down the path of destruction. In either case, I need more bleeps and bloops.

Edit:

Oh right, my softsynth list: Camel Alchemy, Arturia Minimoog V, Absynth, FM8, Massive, Reaktor, Zebra2, Diva... I'm installing Omnisphere, and just keepin' going.

Unless fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 10, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Only fully realized kit under $300 and CV I can think of would be like the Fatman. $300 sure would buy you a whole lot of DIY PCBs though.
If you want to stick to kits, you could always start chasing the dragon.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
It's unfair to compare something so addictive, financially ruinous, and potential life-destroying to heroin.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
People get hooked on Buchla. On freaking Buchla. Not even the finest of 5U does it for them or the freakshow that is everything you can get for Eurorack.

"Yeah I spent a fine rear end new family-car worth of money on this boat of Buchla"

He is happy, his wife is happy, his kids are happy, they are all somehow managing their money, so it's okay with me. If I could remember his name I'd show his youtube channel of interesting analogue studies and the utterly minimal acid he makes with a 303 clone and a drum machine. If I get in touch with him again I'll try to get shots and get you guys a tour and some tweaking.

That said I'd rather have the $3995 Kurzweil Forte than the new $3999 Easel :wtf:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

That said I'd rather have the $3995 Kurzweil Forte than the new $3999 Easel :wtf:

Considering the prices of the originals these days it's practically a bargain!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I should buy six.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The Easel had me completely stumped. It just refused to listen to me and did its own unpredictable thing.

On the other hand you could consider following mrs. Ciani, lock yourself up for a year and make an album :getin:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

magiccarpet posted:

Anybody on Maschine 2? I can't figure out how to audition (or as they call it, 'prehear') sounds/samples in either the stand alone or VST. The little speaker/slider icon that is supposed to be active is no where to be found.

It only appears on the Samples tab:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Radiapathy posted:

It only appears on the Samples tab:

Ah, that makes (no) sense. Thanks for the heads up.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Basically, if it's German or Swedish, strap your helmet on and suffer through the documentation.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Finally breaking in my studio monitors (JBL LSR308s). It also looks like at least two of my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40's outputs (2, which is labeled 'monitor', and 4) are bad. :suicide: Oh well, not the end of the world, I still got a bunch of other outputs to put my monitors through.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Unless posted:

Basically, if it's German or Swedish, strap your helmet on and suffer through the documentation.

Whoa this is sweet. Can I steal this for an avi or does someone else have this already?

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Startyde posted:

$300 sure would buy you a whole lot of DIY PCBs though.

True dat. Picked up:

I enjoy woodworking, too, will post back with results.

net work error posted:

Whoa this is sweet. Can I steal this for an avi or does someone else have this already?

Dunno if anyone else has it, came out of my Pictures folder.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Saw him ---^ (AtomTM) live in Boulder, Co. That dude is amazing. Nothing but him, 2 video screens and an MPC 3000. One of the video screens was displaying the MPC's VGA output, so it was almost like watching live coding. Senor Coconut is some great poo poo as well.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ooh ooh can I join the Super JD club too?

Whatup fellow S2000 dude, what do you use yours for? I use mine mostly just for gritting stuff up due to lack of a proper SCSI cable.

Got a used emagic MIDI box; there are no drivers for my OS, but it works nicely in standalone mode as a MIDI patcher. Here are three synths being driven by it simultaneously, showcasing the kick-rear end brass tones of the AN1x in particular (caution, loud-ish):

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/sketch111-v01

snorch fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 11, 2014

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Someone buy one of these and make it a modular synth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I've always wanted to date a girl named "The Power."