Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mormon Star Wars posted:

How are the 13 True Ways classes so good. Wade, how many deals with the devil have been made by Pelgrane Press, give us the scoop.

13 of them, obviously.

13 deals with 13 devils. (Incidentally, the first 161 people to open a copy of the book will forfeit their souls, which is why I always buy digital.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The monk died on the cross of boring design so that the others could go forth and have interesting and robust mechanics.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if it's possible to buy a 13-sided die?

No reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

No reason.

They exist, but buying them is another story. Maybe if you send enough letters to Lou Zoichii...

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Evil Mastermind posted:

No reason.

This just reminded me of the icon die from the 13TW kickstarter, and since the book is ready to print those bonus things should actually be coming sometime. This makes me very happy. I know things are probably nuts right now with the two books, but is there any guess on when backer goodie packages are going out? Simultaneously with books, two weeks after books, maybe before the books, something like that?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

No reason.

They can be found but you are getting into rare gaming curiosity's. You're not going to find something like that in a comic store:

http://www.dicecollector.net/JM/D13.HTM

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I love the necromancer. It's very well done. Now all I need is a game I'm not GMing goddamnit!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

General Ironicus posted:

This just reminded me of the icon die from the 13TW kickstarter, and since the book is ready to print those bonus things should actually be coming sometime. This makes me very happy. I know things are probably nuts right now with the two books, but is there any guess on when backer goodie packages are going out? Simultaneously with books, two weeks after books, maybe before the books, something like that?

It came up a week or two ago on the G+ group; I think they said they're concentrating on the books first.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Evil Mastermind posted:

No reason.

The icon die was, I believe, a d12 that did not include the Prince of Shadows because not even the GM knows what the Prince is up to. Admittedly that could have been the ring too.

I do own, among my many bizarre dice, a single d14. Couldn't tell you where I got it from, though.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Mr. Maltose posted:

The monk died on the cross of boring design so that the others could go forth and have interesting and robust mechanics.

We can look forward to The 13th Age Unchained in a few years.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

RyvenCedrylle posted:

The icon die was, I believe, a d12 that did not include the Prince of Shadows because not even the GM knows what the Prince is up to. Admittedly that could have been the ring too.
There was that one, and a separate d12 that only had the Prince's symbol.

quote:

I do own, among my many bizarre dice, a single d14. Couldn't tell you where I got it from, though.
Comes with the "Zocci dice" set.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Prince is responsible when the die falls off the table.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Or when you just put it down a second ago and now you can't find it, I could have sworn it was right here.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's the Prince's fault any time one of the other Icons isn't actively rolled. Including every time you don't roll the Icon Die.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I joked about this last week, but holy poo poo, a Bard/Ranger with Jack of Spells, Ranger Ex Cathedra, and Fey Queens Enchantments actually works and is kind of awesome.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Question on commanders; do their "ally gets <thing>" abilities work on things like ranger/druid pets or a necromancer's summons?

e: nevermind, I just looked it up and it looks like the answer's "yes". Have I mentioned that 13th Age has the best index ever put in an RPG?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 9, 2014

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
So, I was a little hesitant about multiclassing at first. The whole "one less level" threw me off, until I did the math, and realized that you still come out ahead in options. I've created a Necromancer/Cleric with a pretty cool story, and I'm working on a Monk/Sorcerer that is actually pretty legit. Hell, my lil' brother and I were theorizing a Paladin Necromancer that could essentially just wear heavy armor and only use the spells that created summons to avoid caring about the spell penalty.

But I think I've struck the pinnacle of perfect class design. What do you guys think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2ld0dxwk8a1fei/Chaos%20Mage.pdf

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I did a little more work on The Channeler. This is pretty much the 0.a version since I have all the powers written up. Comments welcome.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I haven't gotten a shipping notification. I thought we were friends, Wade. :argh:

Dear EVIL MASTERMIND,

This is to inform you that our Shipping Ninjas just fired A BOX OF SOME DOPE-rear end poo poo straight at your crib. Put a motherfucking tarp on the floor when you open it because its contents will MELT YOUR FACE.

If you have any questions, FUCKIN CHILL DOG, poo poo'LL WORK ITSELF OUT.

PEACE.

WADE ROCKETT
13TH TRUE JUGGALO
DARK CARNIVAL WISDOM WHAT WHAT

I don't actually know if your book is on it's way, but it probably is.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Wade, I'm holding you personally responsible for the perfectly good glass of ice water I just spit all over my monitor.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

waderockett posted:

Dear EVIL MASTERMIND,

This is to inform you that our Shipping Ninjas just fired A BOX OF SOME DOPE-rear end poo poo straight at your crib. Put a motherfucking tarp on the floor when you open it because its contents will MELT YOUR FACE.

If you have any questions, FUCKIN CHILL DOG, poo poo'LL WORK ITSELF OUT.

PEACE.

WADE ROCKETT
13TH TRUE JUGGALO
DARK CARNIVAL WISDOM WHAT WHAT

I don't actually know if your book is on it's way, but it probably is.

Word.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RyvenCedrylle posted:

The icon die was, I believe, a d12 that did not include the Prince of Shadows because not even the GM knows what the Prince is up to.

Icon die was a d12. Before rolling, determine which icon couldnt possibly be involved... if that one comes up, it's actually the Prince.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

waderockett posted:

Dear EVIL MASTERMIND,

Was this email followed by an office-wide ceremony in which Mike Mearls is burned in effigy while black metal plays on actual, physical boom boxes?

If not you should instate this practice after sending every email.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Hey guys, I need some internet help.

Apparently my One Unique Thing idea got picked in the top 5 for a contest for a game to be run at GenCon, but someone else's is kicking my rear end.

Check them out at http://therpgacademy.com/vote-for-your-favorite-one-unique-thing/ and if you feel mine is worthy, please vote for me. ("My Pc’s emotions were traded to an Elder God at birth, so he is perplexed by most people.")

If not, please close the browser and walk away.

If you do vote, you can legally view this video again of Wade being silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JCHridDHJw

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kenderama posted:

("My Pc’s emotions were traded to an Elder God at birth, so he is perplexed by most people.")

You want to roleplay someone with magical asperger syndrome?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kenderama posted:

Check them out at http://therpgacademy.com/vote-for-your-favorite-one-unique-thing/ and if you feel mine is worthy, please vote for me. ("My Pc’s emotions were traded to an Elder God at birth, so he is perplexed by most people.")

quote:

I look exactly like the person in a painting entitled “the Beginning of the End” which was painted several hundred years ago.

It all comes together...

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I'm sorry you're not winning, but I'm even more sorry that the wizard thumb is in last place.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Rutibex posted:

You want to roleplay someone with magical asperger syndrome?

It would be pretty rad if the elder god felt everything you were supposed to feel, and continually provided stimulus that would please it.

But no, this reads like less interesting Mr Spock.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Dumb multiclassing question: if a Sorcerer/Wizard (Sorcerard? Wizeror?) with Spell Fist casts a ranged wizard spell, does he still provoke opportunity attacks?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PantsOptional posted:

Dumb multiclassing question: if a Sorcerer/Wizard (Sorcerard? Wizeror?) with Spell Fist casts a ranged wizard spell, does he still provoke opportunity attacks?

Yeah, no power crossover.

I'm pretty sure that is how that works; it's sort of like how using shadow walk would not double the damage on a Fighter's attack. Your spell fist only prevents you from taking opportunity attacks when you cast ranged sorcerer spells in melee.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 10, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That's what I thought. It seems like MC'ing those two is going to get REALLY confusing really fast, what with two different spell lists in addition to cantrips and utility spell.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PantsOptional posted:

That's what I thought. It seems like MC'ing those two is going to get REALLY confusing really fast, what with two different spell lists in addition to cantrips and utility spell.

Such is the price of being the Double-Dip Wizard, I suppose.

It also makes for a fairly potent multiclass. The wizard only really cares about INT, so Con is the next logical pick due to how useful it is as a stat, and the sorcerer already inherently cares about CON for other reasons. The combined stat is INT/CHA, meaning the Double-Dip Wizard only cares about three stats. Taking the feats that let you Gather Power on non-sorcerer spells, and assuming the use of Evocation, there is a chance that, once in a campaign, Bradley the SuperWizard and Beefcakes the Cleric of Strength team up and nuke the tarrasque from orbit.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Such is the price of being the Double-Dip Wizard, I suppose.

It also makes for a fairly potent multiclass. The wizard only really cares about INT, so Con is the next logical pick due to how useful it is as a stat, and the sorcerer already inherently cares about CON for other reasons. The combined stat is INT/CHA, meaning the Double-Dip Wizard only cares about three stats. Taking the feats that let you Gather Power on non-sorcerer spells, and assuming the use of Evocation, there is a chance that, once in a campaign, Bradley the SuperWizard and Beefcakes the Cleric of Strength team up and nuke the tarrasque from orbit.

Caster/caster multiclassing is pretty potent in general. Take a 1-level delay to nearly double my available spells? I'm all over that deal. I wasn't using the weapon damage anyway. If you're following the G+ Community, you likely saw the announcement that ASH LAW is converting over Kobold Press' Deep Magic book for 13th Age. 555 spells. It's madness. I can only imagine what happens when our hypothetical Sorcerzard gets a hold of it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Good grief...I know in D&D terms that ain't much but for 13th Age that's a pretty major upgrade.

So...will we see a similar thing for martial classes from someone?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

If I was gonna multiclass with a Cleric, does anybody have any recommendations? The step down for the weapons die seems like it's gonna hurt a lot.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

If I was gonna multiclass with a Cleric, does anybody have any recommendations? The step down for the weapons die seems like it's gonna hurt a lot.

Paladin will get you a lot of numbers (defenses, HP) at the cost of some spells and a talent, but it seems like the best bet to me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jesus Christ if there's anything this game doesn't need it's half a thousand more spells. Why do people want to drag this back to 3.pf?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

moths posted:

Jesus Christ if there's anything this game doesn't need it's half a thousand more spells. Why do people want to drag this back to 3.pf?
That's the other side to it, too. I always thought the whole idea of "your spells level up with you" is so you didn't wind up with shittons of spells that were all almost identical.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

If you're following the G+ Community, you likely saw the announcement that ASH LAW is converting over Kobold Press' Deep Magic book for 13th Age. 555 spells. It's madness.

I... am not sure how to feel about this. On the on hand, ASH LAW is a great designer so I'm sure he'll make drat sure that none of those 550 spells break the game, but on the other hand 550 spells is a whole lot, and it's gonna be hella hard to make sure that all of those spells feel unique and have a reason to be there, while at the same time making it so that this extremely broad spectrum of choice does not straight up invalidate things that other classes are supposed to do, which is an especially large pitfall seeing as the source material is, well, Pathfinder. I'm also hesitant because magic classes already have way more choice than any martial class bar maybe the Commander or Rogue, and adding a whole lot of spells is just going to exacerbate this problem.

everythingWasBees posted:

The problem with multiclassing Cleric is that they are hit twofold. Their weapon die is lowered, making it so that they're limp-wristed any time they need to attack and don't have Hammer of Faith going on, and their spells lag behind so if you want to use primarily Lance of Faith or whatevs then it'll be pretty wimpy until level 4. Cleric/Paladin would shore up your defenses and HP a bit and make you more holy, Cleric/Necro can sort of make up for the lowered damage with skeleton buddies, Rogue/Cleric can be neat, Dex/Wis gets you great AC and you can shore up your reduced Melee damage with Improved Sneak Attack, Ranger/Cleric or Druid/Cleric could be great if they kept their Strength or Dex modifier on it, and Cleric/Bard or Cleric/Commander could just become the most efficient buffing machine on the planet. Cleric multiclasses pretty well if you ignore the weapon die, is what I'm saying.

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Another thing with 555 Spells! is that it actively hinders the creativity associated with the Ritual Casting feat.

I seriously can't see a use for this beyond luring Pathfinder guys to your table, and then letting them caster supremacy all over everybody.