Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Okay, I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Anyway just asking again 'bout the 2014 Altima S before I get further into this, is there anything glaringly wrong with it?

A friend of mine is having his 2013 Altima bought back by Nissan under lemon laws because it's spent so much time at the dealer getting the same electrical problem fixed repeatedly. The Altima is definitely an also-ran in the category, and worse than the Accord, Camry, and probably some domestics in the class, but that does sound like a good price.

If you want specific car recommendations to look at as an alternative to the Altima, let us know what you're looking for in a car. Generally, hatches, wagons, and crossovers are all more practical than midsize sedans without being more expensive to run. I know that if I just wanted a boring appliance car that was the cheapest to own overall, I'd be searching for a 2010-2012 Prius for the same money that new Altima would cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

A friend of mine is having his 2013 Altima bought back by Nissan under lemon laws because it's spent so much time at the dealer getting the same electrical problem fixed repeatedly. The Altima is definitely an also-ran in the category, and worse than the Accord, Camry, and probably some domestics in the class, but that does sound like a good price.

If you want specific car recommendations to look at as an alternative to the Altima, let us know what you're looking for in a car. Generally, hatches, wagons, and crossovers are all more practical than midsize sedans without being more expensive to run. I know that if I just wanted a boring appliance car that was the cheapest to own overall, I'd be searching for a 2010-2012 Prius for the same money that new Altima would cost.

I just thought that price for the Altima was pretty good. And it comes with a "lifetime warranty!!!"

I asked this thread like a year ago and they gave me some okay advice, yeah boring appliance is basically what I want, and I did look at used priuses (prii?) and they were generally out of my price range. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask you guys again:

Proposed Budget: Under ~18.5K
New or Used: Either
Body Style: small thing with good gas mileage
Use: Driving to work every day (very short trips), occasional long (several hours on the interstate) car trips. I'd prefer a recent model year because I expect to keep the car for a while and I'm not the kind of person who can be assed to keep a car with 150,000+ miles on it carefully tuned and tended to like I'm fawning over a baby, though it's not like I won't change the oil and take it in for regularly scheduled maintenance as needed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Alright so I went by the dealer today to test out the S4 - holy moley. What a car. Anyways, the deals they could offer me on one that's stickered for $57k were $740/mo for 36 months or $700/mo for 42 months. That includes all taxes and fees and such, with no money down (aside from the equity in my trade-in that they actually gave me a decent offer on).

Are those "gently caress off, kid" deals or do they seem reasonable? They seem reasonable to me. Also, is there any reason to go for the 36 months over 42 aside from being able to get out of the lease sooner?

I'm still giving myself several days to decide for sure, but I don't think I can haggle the dealership much more. If that's a bad deal, then I'm just gonna keep my current car and save for a bit I guess.

Thanks in advance for all the advice, fellas.

I would need to see the exact numbers, but they seem fairly reasonable taking into account finance charges and taxes. The dealer is going to make a little profit on you, this isn't a high volume domestic dealer that makes their money on bonuses for moving cars, so it's reasonable the dealer makes a little money on you. You want to prevent yourself getting ripped off though.

The 36 vs 42 month thing is personal preference. Those extra 6 months help make the lease more affordable as between months 36 and 42 the car doesn't depreciate as much as during the rest of the lease. Typically you see a 3 year 36K mile lease because that's how long the bumper to bumper warranty lasts on many cars. Who wants to lease a car with no bumper to bumper coverage? Audi's have 4 yr/50K bumper to bumper, so a 42 month lease can makes sense on one. 42 months is the longest you'll want to go on a lease though, as one of the main benefits of leasing is getting into a new car more frequently.

I'm guessing you're in the Florabama region...we'll be in Orange Beach next month for a nice little vacation.. If I see an S4 driving around I'll give a wave.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Congratulations, you are a future AI poster because the answer is Miata!

No, seriously, stop laughing. They're cheap to buy ($5-7k should get you a decent pick of '94-'04 models), dirt cheap to run, and for anything remotely near as cheap, the Miata is the definition of fun.

Is there anything particular to Miatas to look for in that price range (trims to get/avoid, years that were worse, options that are/aren't worth it, etc)? Or is it just "find the best condition available for your price range?" What about roof options? Are any more trouble than they're worth/dramatically change the price, etc?

I feel like this has probably been covered somewhere in the thread already, so if anyone knows of a post/off site article about buying a cheap Miata, I'd love to see it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Grumpwagon posted:

Is there anything particular to Miatas to look for in that price range (trims to get/avoid, years that were worse, options that are/aren't worth it, etc)? Or is it just "find the best condition available for your price range?" What about roof options? Are any more trouble than they're worth/dramatically change the price, etc?

I feel like this has probably been covered somewhere in the thread already, so if anyone knows of a post/off site article about buying a cheap Miata, I'd love to see it.

http://wiki.miata.net/tiki-index.php?page=Checking%20Out%20a%20Used%20Miata

I'd target a 2nd generation car in your budget (99-05), and look for a top in good shape or budget for replacement.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I'm trying to buy a new car, looking for a corolla or civic ideally that has low-ish mileage (60k or under).

I am seeing decent deals at dealerships for like 2010 corollas - Can I negotiate with these places?

Also, is buying an older model of one of these cars, say 2005-2007, an okay idea if it has low mileage?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A corolla or civic with under 60k miles is basically brand new, and is going to be priced like it. These are one of the cases where your discount for buying used is so thin that you should probably just save another $4k or whatever and get a new one.

You can definitely buy an older one but you may be too concerned about mileage. A corolla or civic built in this century and properly maintained should last to 300k miles. Focus more on the general condition of the car (e.g., no salvage title, in good mechanical shape, has had its regular maintenance done) and you will still have dozens or hundreds of examples to pick from, because toyota and honda have sold assloads of those cars for decades and the country is awash with them in every color, option package, and condition imaginable.

e. Oh yeah, you can definitely negotiate at a dealership on used and new car prices, and in fact if you fail to negotiate you are almost certainly paying way more than you should. However, civics and corollas are easy to sell, so dealers probably will not wiggle as much on them as they would on most of the other cars on the lot.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Doghouse posted:

I'm trying to buy a new car, looking for a corolla or civic ideally that has low-ish mileage (60k or under).

I am seeing decent deals at dealerships for like 2010 corollas - Can I negotiate with these places?

Also, is buying an older model of one of these cars, say 2005-2007, an okay idea if it has low mileage?

Have you considered looking at other cars that might have depreciated more, like Mazda 3s, Priuses, and Nissan stuff? What are you calling a "decent deal" on a 2010 corolla? The general wisdom here is that lightly used corollas are bad deals.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Yeah I am open to those as well. Truth is I would love a Prius because it's for long-ish commutes. I have just had really, really good experiences with Toyotas. My last car was a 4runner that I drove for like 12 years, my wife's first car was a Corolla that she had for many years, and so on. But yeah I am open to brands as well.

I guess I'll try the normal recommendation format and try to glean some goon wisdom since I am basically a know-nothing about cars. Please forgive my total ignorance.

Proposed Budget: The truth is I'm really not exactly sure. I don't think I can spend much more than 10k right now. Preferably a little bit less than that. I'm not really looking for the "Oh well just spend 6k more and..." etc.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: Probably a compact, but not picky.
How will you be using the car?: I basically need it for me commuting about 40 minutes each way every day.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability is #1, I just want a car that runs and runs and that I don't have to worry too much about. I had this with my 4runner and it was just awesome. Year after year and almost never had to have repairs. Besides that I'm flexible.

Edit: Also need an automatic.

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 8, 2014

Sludgesicle Man
Oct 31, 2013

IOwnCalculus posted:

Congratulations, you are a future AI poster because the answer is Miata!

No, seriously, stop laughing. They're cheap to buy ($5-7k should get you a decent pick of '94-'04 models), dirt cheap to run, and for anything remotely near as cheap, the Miata is the definition of fun.

That's an... interesting idea! My buddy had a Miata and the amount of poo poo we gave him was palpable. It was definitely a lot of fun though. Do they tend to stand up well? What about cost of parts?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They hold up well. Plenty of older examples still running fine. Parts availability is fantastic with a tremendous aftermarket.

Miata Is Always The Answer

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Miatas are super reliable largely because they are relatively simple cars without a lot of electronic gizmos and doodads or mechanical complexities like turbos or AWD. They are pretty straightforward to work on, have a huge enthusiast and DIY following, and parts are plentiful and easy to find both OEM and aftermarket.

They are really just stupidly fun little cars that fit within most anyone's budget. I had a 95 for four years and loved it. I'll eventually get another Miata of some kind in the future, though likely when I have somewhere to put two cars.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

You would be really surpised nowadays. When steel prices went way up scrap value of cars skyrocketed, and are still pretty dang high.

I got $350 at the scrapyard last year for a rusty dented '96 2-door Subaru Impreza with a bad engine, and they let me take the wheels off to sell on craigslist.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

So, I need some advice.

I haven't owned a car in 2-ish years, and before that they have always been pieces of poo poo (2 Cavaliers, a Bonneville that I would kick in the dick if it were a person standing in front of me, a Spectra that was ok for a salvage buy and a clean, beautiful Camry that I loved but was pushing 280k miles.) I've been taking the bus to work every day and stockpiling my income, funneling a huge portion of it into an IRA and mutual funds. I'm sitting on about 30k in non-retirement savings outside of investments, pretty loving great. 1.5 years ago I was absolutely dead broke. No debt presently, renting an apartment. I'm in a rural midwest area so my options are limited.

I want a car though, I'm tired of the bus and not having the freedom I used to have. So I've been looking. I'm not going to splurge yet, right now I just want a daily driver.

Proposed Budget: 5k-ish. I don't want to spend more if I can help it.
New or Used: Used 100%
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?): Don't care
How will you be using the car?: Getting to work, around town, regular poo poo. No special needs.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability #1, fuel efficiency and capability in inclement weather. If it's something I can use to learn to do my own repairs that goes further than changing my own oil and brakes that's a huge plus.

Right now the local Craigslist options I've looked at over the last 2 weeks, all clean titles in no particular order:

2000 Impala LS - 91k miles, owned by a nice, honest old man. Only owner for 13.5 years. Pretty much drove it to the grocery store. Clean title, solid maintenance records. Had plenty of giddyup on the test drive, more fun than all the other options here. Just changed the serpentine belt, flushed/changed all fluids and passed inspection. Recently incurred moderate hail damage, however. $2000.

2001 Subaru Legacy Wagon - 95k miles, some body rust but otherwise runs great. Has not had the timing belt/water pump done yet, basically just oil and fluid changes. Been parked for a while. Very, very clean interior. Ugly color (faded light green). I would love AWD and the moving space. I've always wanted a Subaru. $2300.

2002 Mercury Sable - 72k miles. Total cream puff, and fully loaded. Garage parked and pristine, also owned by an old man. Feels like driving a brand new car apart from a small windshield crack. $4000.

2005 VW Beetle - 102k miles. Would not be something I would normally consider, but it's $2450 with that mileage so it goes on the list. It's also exquisitely clean.

2004 Corolla S - 89k miles. $4000. Owned by a college girl who wants something different, her grandpa bought it for her when she was a freshman. Hasn't texted me back in several days regarding it so this might be a lost cause. I figure her parents or something found out what she was trying to sell it for.

1987 Fiero - Absolutely pristine, no joke. I've never seen a cleaner 27 year old car in my life. 51k original miles. Two owners, the current one takes it for a little spin a couple times a month and otherwise keeps it garaged. Friends and women would laugh at me but I would think it owns. $3200

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 11, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Impala - OK
Legacy - OK
Sable - Eh
Beetle - Dear God No
Corolla - Get that one
Fiero - lmao no what the gently caress

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Tom Gorman posted:

So, I need some advice.

I haven't owned a car in 2-ish years, and before that they have always been pieces of poo poo (2 Cavaliers, a Bonneville that I would kick in the dick if it were a person standing in front of me, a Spectra that was ok for a salvage buy and a clean, beautiful Camry that I loved but was pushing 280k miles.) I've been taking the bus to work every day and stockpiling my income, funneling a huge portion of it into an IRA and mutual funds. I'm sitting on about 30k in non-retirement savings outside of investments, pretty loving great. 1.5 years ago I was absolutely dead broke. No debt presently, renting an apartment. I'm in a rural midwest area so my options are limited.

I want a car though, I'm tired of the bus and not having the freedom I used to have. So I've been looking. I'm not going to splurge yet, right now I just want a daily driver.

Proposed Budget: 5k-ish. I don't want to spend more if I can help it.
New or Used: Used 100%
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?): Don't care
How will you be using the car?: Getting to work, around town, regular poo poo. No special needs.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability #1, fuel efficiency and capability in inclement weather. If it's something I can use to learn to do my own repairs that goes further than changing my own oil and brakes that's a huge plus.

1987 Fiero - Absolutely pristine, no joke. I've never seen a cleaner 27 year old car in my life. 51k original miles. Two owners, the current one takes it for a little spin a couple times a month and otherwise keeps it garaged. Friends and women would laugh at me but I would think it owns. $3200

If you want to learn about cars, buy that Fiero and have a blast. However a 27 year old GM product is not what you want to buy when reliability is your #1 priority. The Corolla is the best bet among the options you have, and I'd stay away from that beetle and the sable. I don't know a ton about GM W-bodies, but if you have a mechanic you trust that Impala looks like a good bet. Cars with cosmetic damage like hail are normally the best value for daily drivers.

All of those cars have really low mileage and are making me feel guilty for putting 16k a year on my daily driver.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Impala - OK
Legacy - OK
Sable - Eh
Beetle - Dear God No
Corolla - Get that one
Fiero - lmao no what the gently caress

Do you hate fun? Fieros are loving great. If I could find a pristine '87 Fiero for $3k near me I'd buy it this instant.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 11, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think the Impala is the way to go. See if the previous owner has done an upper intake manifold replacement as those 3800s had that problem for a while, if he has, that's good, if not you should budget some money for that at some point.

Beetle: Was there ever a version of the Beetle that was good? If it's a 2005 Wikipedia says it can't be the 1.8T, so it's the VR5.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'd go with the Impala as well. I don't trust the college girl to have done basic maintenance on the Corolla to be honest. That Impala for 2K is a steal.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I'm getting a car soon. Looking at a late 2000s 2.5S Altima with under 80k miles for under $15k if possible. I've heard that their transmissions are bad from a couple of friends. Is that true?

And if it is, is it a Nissan wide issue that spreads to Infiniti as well?

And has Ford ever fixed the problem their 2000 model V8s had of their motors/transmissions starting to go to poo poo after 100k miles?

Cole fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 11, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cole posted:

I'm getting a car soon. Looking at a late 2000s 2.5S Altima with under 80k miles for under $15k if possible. I've heard that their transmissions are bad from a couple of friends. Is that true?

And if it is, is it a Nissan wide issue that spreads to Infiniti as well?

And has Ford ever fixed the problem their 2000 model V8s had of their motors/transmissions starting to go to poo poo after 100k miles?

I'd expect a 2000s Altima to be more like $6-9k, not $15k. You can get a brand new Altima under $20k.

Altimas have continuously variable transmissions, which are a less proven technology and should be expected to suffer more failures and repairs than a modern traditional auto. Infinitis do not have CVTs (for the most part) and use normal transmissions.

Ford motors are very reliable right now, but they are transitioning to another new, unproven transmission technology as well: dry dual-clutch transmissions. Nobody knows how these things will hold up, given that the first ones hit the market in 2012. I own one, so I'm hoping they hold up. Generally any new car can be expected to make it to 200k miles with basic maintenance now.

Edit: Not all Fords have the DCT, and in fact none of the V8s do. If you're looking at a V8 ford right now, it'll be really rock solid.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Thanks for all the info.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd expect a 2000s Altima to be more like $6-9k, not $15k. You can get a brand new Altima under $20k.

I'm looking for one from 2007 on. Most that I've seen on Craigslist and your usual listing sites run around $13k.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cole posted:

I'm looking for one from 2007 on. Most that I've seen on Craigslist and your usual listing sites run around $13k.

What area are you in? A search in my local market found 10 under $10k: http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4553893893.html

It looks like there are a TON of salvage title Altimas out there. I wonder if body work on them is very expensive or something? There are 5 2012 and 2013 ones all dirt cheap with less than 10,000 miles but rebuilt... http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4522243777.html

Griz
May 21, 2001

Tom Gorman posted:

2001 Subaru Legacy Wagon - 95k miles, some body rust but otherwise runs great. Has not had the timing belt/water pump done yet, basically just oil and fluid changes. Been parked for a while. Very, very clean interior. Ugly color (faded light green). I would love AWD and the moving space. I've always wanted a Subaru. $2300.

Which engine does this have? If it's the 2.5, is there a coolant leak or anything in the maintenance history involving the head gasket?

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
My 2000 Pontiac Grand Am died a tragic death and I'm in need of a replacement. I have a good friend who's family is selling dear, departed Grandma's 2007 Toyota Corolla with 10500 miles for $7000.

I know Toyota's are considered very reiable, but are there any reasons to NOT go for this car? Are there any issues that could come up from the car not being used often?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Belial42 posted:

My 2000 Pontiac Grand Am died a tragic death and I'm in need of a replacement. I have a good friend who's family is selling dear, departed Grandma's 2007 Toyota Corolla with 10500 miles for $7000.

I know Toyota's are considered very reiable, but are there any reasons to NOT go for this car? Are there any issues that could come up from the car not being used often?

Unless grandma had a penchant for ramming it into things or driving it into the lake, that's a hell of a deal.

In other words, do you trust them enough to believe it was never damaged?

e: at that price you could reasonably consider flipping it for more money if that wouldn't piss off your friend.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah go ahead and have it inspected by a mechanic, but that seems like a screamingly good deal for that car. 10,500 miles is basically brand new.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I asked about small trucks a few weeks ago, and the answers led me to think that I'm best off just renting a full-size pickup when I need to haul stuff. So rethinking a bunch of stuff, I'm looking at small SUVs.

Proposed Budget: Loan rates are super low, so I'm willing to spend up to about $20k if there's a good sweet spot.
New or Used: Probably used; I can get a new car loan rate on 2013 models though.
Body Style: Looking at Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape
How will you be using the car?: I'm parked for most of the week in the city; most of my driving takes place on weekends and most of it is highway. I'd estimate 20-30k miles/yr
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability/ease of maintenance, decent gas mileage, 4WD for winter trips.

Basically I want something with some cargo room but not so huge that parking in San Francisco would be a nightmare. Reliability is bar none the most important thing to me. I'd like to get a loan to pay for it since rates are so low right now, but I'm not sure where the sweet spot is. I can get new car loan rates for 2013 models, and I'm wondering if it'd be easier to beat the dealer price down on a 2013 compared to a new car or an older car - is there an ideal area I should aim at? I intend to drive it until the engine esplodes in flames; not sure if something newer would be better. Something like this RAV4?

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah go ahead and have it inspected by a mechanic, but that seems like a screamingly good deal for that car. 10,500 miles is basically brand new.

IRQ posted:

In other words, do you trust them enough to believe it was never damaged?

I'll go ahead with the mechanic just for my own well being. I'd like to drive this thing into the ground. Thanks for the reassurance.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I need advice on really basic stuff, like budget. I don't know from cars.

Budget: $7K - $10K, but see below.
Body Style: Car, not SUV or minivan. Otherwise unimportant. Automatic transmission.
How will you be using the car?: Commute no more than 40 miles/day to community college or BART station.
aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Safety, reliability.

Wall of text:

We have two twenty-somethings in the household, neither with budgets of their own yet. We need a third car, which the parents will be buying. We live in Silicon Valley. I want to spend enough to get a safe, reliable car with automatic transmission (neither kid drives stick) that can be used to commute a maximum of 40 miles a day on the interstate. I have no idea what a prudent budget is -- $7K to 10K? Any car I pick will be taken to a trusted mechanic for a check-up, because (see header) I know nothing about cars. Does that mean I should buy re-warrantied cars from a car dealer?

My husband's and my habit is to pay cash for new, then drive the car until the annual cost of repairs gets ridiculous; my husband's commuter is a 2000 Audi A4, to give you some idea. (It'll have to get replaced this year.) For the kids, we'll be buying used and hoping to get at least 5 years' use with the usual mid-car-life costs: brakes and so on, but not dead transmissions and burned-out engines.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I need advice on really basic stuff, like budget. I don't know from cars.

Budget: $7K - $10K, but see below.
Body Style: Car, not SUV or minivan. Otherwise unimportant. Automatic transmission.
How will you be using the car?: Commute no more than 40 miles/day to community college or BART station.
aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Safety, reliability.

Wall of text:

We have two twenty-somethings in the household, neither with budgets of their own yet. We need a third car, which the parents will be buying. We live in Silicon Valley. I want to spend enough to get a safe, reliable car with automatic transmission (neither kid drives stick) that can be used to commute a maximum of 40 miles a day on the interstate. I have no idea what a prudent budget is -- $7K to 10K? Any car I pick will be taken to a trusted mechanic for a check-up, because (see header) I know nothing about cars. Does that mean I should buy re-warrantied cars from a car dealer?

My husband's and my habit is to pay cash for new, then drive the car until the annual cost of repairs gets ridiculous; my husband's commuter is a 2000 Audi A4, to give you some idea. (It'll have to get replaced this year.) For the kids, we'll be buying used and hoping to get at least 5 years' use with the usual mid-car-life costs: brakes and so on, but not dead transmissions and burned-out engines.

Newest/lowest miles Prius you can find. I imagine prices are inflated in SF though, so maybe look further out. They're rock solid and safe, and even though interstate driving isn't their best use case, your kid is driving it, so you probably want something slow as hell anyway.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IRQ posted:

Newest/lowest miles Prius you can find. I imagine prices are inflated in SF though, so maybe look further out. They're rock solid and safe, and even though interstate driving isn't their best use case, your kid is driving it, so you probably want something slow as hell anyway.

Indeed. A second gen prius will easily fit in the budget (even in the bay), will be reliable, and they hold poo poo ton of stuff.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I asked about Altimas earlier but I'll do this to see what other people like in my style and maybe get more ideas.

Budget: $15k
Body Style: I like cars that don't have any hard edges like the G35 and the Altima. Four door preferably but a coupe is an option.
How will you be using the car?: to and from school mostly. Driving around town. Mostly city driving. I'm good for 10-12k miles a year.
aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) good on gas, reliable, easily repaired outside of a shop doing major work (I have a mechanic in the family who will be doing all the work for me, but I would like to learn the ins and outs, so an easy car to learn and work on should also be a priority).

I prefer leather because I have a four legged sidekick who travels everywhere with me and pet hair is easier to clean up off of a leather surface.

I also want something under 80k miles if possible.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is this the sort of thing I should be looking at?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4561559865.html

edit: and this? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4564755545.html

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
How about some motorcycle chat?

I passed my MSF beginner riders course and got my new license in the mail last week. I've been looking at a wide variety of bikes and have pared down the choices to the Honda CB500R and Yamaha FZ-07. I can buy either outright but plopping $7k on something that is instantly worth less than $7k after the paperwork is signed doesn't sit well. Right now I'm looking at putting $2000 down and financing for 36 months, both bikes are very popular right now, especially the FZ-07, it arrived at US dealers last month. Is financing a motorcycle a good idea or is it better to pay up front? I understand there are a lot of unknowns that can happen in three years but if I have comprehensive coverage through the finance period, and then put it on sale to a very large, entry level bike market I can't see myself losing out here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Post in the bike forum.

That said, don't spend more than 2k on your first bike. You WILL drop it or have an off. If you're a young male the collision/comp insurance is unbelievably expensive.

Once you've rode it for a year or so you'll have a muxh better idea of what you want in a bike. You can also resell it for drat near what you paid.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is the extended bumper to bumper warranty a ripoff? My dad thinks so but I figure I'd ask you guys.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is the extended bumper to bumper warranty a ripoff? My dad thinks so but I figure I'd ask you guys.

Yes, unless it is w8 passat or something otherwise stupidly unreliable, in which case you shouldn't buy it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

nm posted:

Yes, unless it is w8 passat or something otherwise stupidly unreliable, in which case you shouldn't buy it.

That's what I figured, thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your first listing is already gone, but the second one seems about right. Definitely get a clean title. Under 100k miles on the clock still leaves two thirds of the car's life for you and your kids to enjoy.

A 2004 is a wee bit old, though. I'd try to find something under $9k that is also like six years old or so. Don't compromise on mechanical condition, but some dings and scrapes will help to lower the cost without affecting the mechanics (and your new driver kids are going to ding and scrape up the car anyway most likely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A prius at that price/age, eh, you're getting to the end of the battery warranty life, the fuel economy might take a bit of a hit.

I think for $10k you should consider a 2011-12 Chrysler 200. They're safe and reliable(and may still be under warranty) and the 4 cyl is pretty slow.