Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Went 2-1 at a tournament yesterday with Dutch, Airen, and 3 Bandits, everyone with ordnance. Works okay when everyone has focus (except Airen) and gets to TL at PS 6 or even in combat. Good alpha strike as long as I can maneuver properly.

Lost against XXBB, due to being unable to extract myself from a furball and get my actions back. Opponent wisely focused on Airen to deny free actions so his ships just outclassed mine. Couldn't finish off a B with 1 Hull left for several rounds, even when I finally got range 1 with focus. Had the curse of always needing a TL when I had focus and vice versa.

Fun and challenging list though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Hey guys. I've gotten my hands on the core set after playing a few games at my FLGS and I really love this game.

Now, I want to play Imperial and I'm looking for some starter builds that I can play without being torn a new one at my FLGS. I love the Tie-Interceptor and I've gotten my eye on the Imperial aces pack because they look awesome. Can anyone help me out?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Got to try all of my wave 4 stuff today. I played with that ZZXX wing I posted up earlier (with the suggested modifications) and it went against 3 elite TIEs and did pretty well. The Z-95 with the ion pulse didn't do much though so I might just remove it and add wingman to it instead and maybe something else to Wedge/Biggs.

I really liked the Z-95 overall. I got to try E-Wings, which I thought were pretty good since they get pretty good stats and the dial is decent as well. I also tried the Phantom (Echo with Advanced Cloaking and Veteran Instincts) and the way that it can manuever around is a bit sick. Finally, the TIE Defenders were very decent as well: being able to do a white k-turn is extremely good. Played three matches overall and had a lot of fun.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Commissar Kip posted:

Hey guys. I've gotten my hands on the core set after playing a few games at my FLGS and I really love this game.

Now, I want to play Imperial and I'm looking for some starter builds that I can play without being torn a new one at my FLGS. I love the Tie-Interceptor and I've gotten my eye on the Imperial aces pack because they look awesome. Can anyone help me out?

You'll probably need Imperial Aces and a regular TIE Interceptor pack to get the best combos. Soontir Fel and Turr Phennir are among the best pilots and are in the single blister, but there are upgrades in Imperial Aces that you'll want for sure.

I like 2 Elite Interceptors and then either some standard TIEs, a couple bombers, or a Llambda shuttle, in order to add some toughness/HP. 3 Elite Interceptors or 2 Elite, 2 Alphas work okay, but if you don't maneuver perfectly or run up against a bunch of turrets, you just die.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I was the one playing against Tekopo, and I think I did okay considering I literally bought the starter set this week. :v:

The elite Intie list mentioned is the one I posted a couple of pages ago: Fel (PtL, stealth, shield), Jax (PtL, stealth) and Turr Phennir (Predator, stealth). It was my first ever game, so I did garbage - forgot Phennir had Predator or his pilot ability entirely and never got Jax within range 1 of an enemy. I can't tell if the list would have been viable if I hadn't been poo poo, though - three 30+ point ships with no real shields is rough to play.

I ran Fel (PtL), Howlrunner (Swarm) and 4x Academy for the second game against his Etahn + two Blue Squadron B-wings with advance sensors and at least one heavy laser cannon and fared much better - the TIE swarm let Fel manoeuvre a lot easier and was also quite a lot of concentrated firepower. In the end, I lost three TIEs and Fel took two hull damage but survived (Howlrunner was unscathed due to some astonishingly bad attack rolls and good defence ones), but wow, all my named pilots feel super fragile (stealth disappearing when hit doesn't help). :ohdear:

Third game was Wedge (R2, flechette), Biggs (R2-D2, hull) and Tycho Celchu (PtL, proton rocket) against two Defenders and Echo with advanced cloaking. Managed to down Echo in the end (the 2 bank barrel roll feels like total bullshit) but my poo poo asteroid placement and underestimating how fast Defenders are meant I split Wedge/Biggs up early, which was obviously a mistake. Also, both of them ended up with cockpit damage. :(

Tycho Celchu did far better at surviving but didn't do much damage and never fired his rocket. He's amazingly good, though - A-wing plus his ability plus PtL makes for some absurd speed/manoeuvrability. In the end, I hosed up a boost and so ran him off the table. :v:

All in all, I had a lot of fun!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 6, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

All this talk of interceptors, I had a 3 ship list scribbled out the other day that I fancied taking for a spin. Two kitted out interceptors, one kitted out phantom. I'll have to go have a look to see what I was going to take.. hrm..

edit: here we go..

Fel, PTL, Shield Upgrade
Phennir, Wingman, Shield Upgrade
Echo, Adv Cloaking Device, Vet Instincts

Decided my previous lists were quite heavy on numbers but weak on hitting power (not helped by my insistence on taking a TIE Advanced... duh), this way I've got a bucket load of moves to keep my guys out of the line of fire and each of them can put out enough firepower to deal some damage when the opportunity arises. Fel and Phennir obviously hang together (wingman specifically benefiting Fel, removing the stress and doesn't cost Phennir an action to do so)

Can't help but feel it's a little bit too 'all your eggs in one basket' though.

enri fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 6, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Phennir is kinda wasted with not being able to use his pilot ability since he needs to stick by Soontir. I might drop him down to a Royal Guard. Its 1 less pilot skill but for three points you can either add a hull or stealth to Soontir or Advanced Sensors to Echo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's the name of that clear adhesive sheet people use to protect their movement dials from fading?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

What's the name of that clear adhesive sheet people use to protect their movement dials from fading?

Con-tact clear shelving paper. 1 roll will last you an eternity.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Going to try to run this in a couple of weeks, and see how badly it does:

Royal Guard Pilot (22)
Push the Limit (3)

Sabre Squadron Pilot (21)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)

Total: 100

I'd put stealth on the RG and downgrade the Sabre to an Alpha if I had Slave 1, but I don't and I'm trying to keep it tournament-legal. :v:

I'm kind of afraid of fielding PS1/zero shield ships that expensive, but it's a lot of massed firepower.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 7, 2014

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

You'll probably need Imperial Aces and a regular TIE Interceptor pack to get the best combos. Soontir Fel and Turr Phennir are among the best pilots and are in the single blister, but there are upgrades in Imperial Aces that you'll want for sure.

I like 2 Elite Interceptors and then either some standard TIEs, a couple bombers, or a Llambda shuttle, in order to add some toughness/HP. 3 Elite Interceptors or 2 Elite, 2 Alphas work okay, but if you don't maneuver perfectly or run up against a bunch of turrets, you just die.

Thanks!

I quite like glass cannon runs it appears. So I've got something like this:

Carnor Jax (26)
Swarm (2)
Royal Guard (0)
Shield (4)
Stealth (3)

Stealth (3)

Stealth (3)

Stealth (3)

Total: 98

If this fails I'll go for

Soontir Fel (37 points total)
Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Shield Upgrade, Stealth Device

Turr Phennir (34 points total)
Royal Guard TIE, Wingman, Shield Upgrade, Stealth Device

Royal Guard Pilot (28 points total)
Veteran Instincts, Royal Guard TIE, Targeting Computer, Stealth Device
Total: 99 points

How bad will this run?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

Phennir is kinda wasted with not being able to use his pilot ability since he needs to stick by Soontir. I might drop him down to a Royal Guard. Its 1 less pilot skill but for three points you can either add a hull or stealth to Soontir or Advanced Sensors to Echo.

Yea I did think about this but I figured if he can get in a position to shoot each turn then he can pop his boost / barrel roll move and still keep up with Fel (who I usually boost and barrel roll around like the world's about to end)

Advanced sensors could be handy on the phantom though, I have no shuttle though.. that's some way down on my list of ships I actually want to bother with :)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
They come with E-Wings now, if you play Rebel occasionally and can justify that purchase any better.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Commissar Kip posted:

Thanks!

I quite like glass cannon runs it appears. So I've got something like this:

Carnor Jax (26)
Swarm (2)
Royal Guard (0)
Shield (4)
Stealth (3)

Stealth (3)

Stealth (3)

Stealth (3)

Total: 98

If this fails I'll go for

Soontir Fel (37 points total)
Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Shield Upgrade, Stealth Device

Turr Phennir (34 points total)
Royal Guard TIE, Wingman, Shield Upgrade, Stealth Device

Royal Guard Pilot (28 points total)
Veteran Instincts, Royal Guard TIE, Targeting Computer, Stealth Device
Total: 99 points

How bad will this run?

As with Enri's build, Turr will have trouble working as expected. I'd swap Veteran Instincts to Turr and put Wingman on the RGP. Also, put the Targeting Computer on Fel and the Shield on RGP. Soontir doesn't need the defensive bonus quite as much since he'll ideally be out of arc. If he doesn't need both actions to do it, or an evade, he can take target lock, grab his free focus, and hit really hard. Turr with Vetern Instincts makes close flying much much easier, since he and Soontir are both PS 9 and can choose their order of operations, which makes flying where you want much easier. Trying to keep Turr close to Soontir otherwise could be problematic.

enri posted:

Yea I did think about this but I figured if he can get in a position to shoot each turn then he can pop his boost / barrel roll move and still keep up with Fel (who I usually boost and barrel roll around like the world's about to end)

Advanced sensors could be handy on the phantom though, I have no shuttle though.. that's some way down on my list of ships I actually want to bother with :)

Thing is, for Wingman to work, he needs to be next to Soontir at the beginning of the combat phase, not after his free boost or barrel roll. So he now needs to keep up with Soontir's boost+barrel roll (potentially) with just a boost or barrel roll, and then he gets no focus with which to attack, so he becomes just a wingman. Put it on someone else, he can focus, fire, then boost out of arc, at least some of the time. Wingman on RGP has the same problem of trying to keep up, but you can worry less about trying to get off a shot to activate his ability. If the RGP sometimes doesn't get a shot or has to take one in return, you're not risking as much. More likely to make it to endgame with the superior Turr or Soontir.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone have suggestions of dealing with phantoms with VI/adv cloaking? I'm currently running a Biggs, 2 blue+adv, 2 z-95 list right now and I can only hope to keep enough points on the table after wiping everything else out.

zVxTeflon posted:

Con-tact clear shelving paper. 1 roll will last you an eternity.

Cool thanks.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone have suggestions of dealing with phantoms with VI/adv cloaking? I'm currently running a Biggs, 2 blue+adv, 2 z-95 list right now and I can only hope to keep enough points on the table after wiping everything else out.

Cool thanks.

Well sure, you're running a list that Phantoms are pretty much made to take apart. No high-PS, no turrets, no stress dealers, no area effect weapons (prox mines or bombs or assault missiles). All you can really do is pray.

I've been running Biggs, Chewie, and Roark, with swarm on Chewie so I can take 2 PS12 shots. Also a great solution for Soontir or Wedge or other high-end pilots.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Seconding pbpancho, you're just not going to beat those kind of Phantoms with your list without luck or an inexperienced opponent.

That's okay, though, as it varies the meta a bit more. There's now no clear answer for a build that takes on all comers. Previously, high PS builds were foolish because builds like yours would tear them apart, even if they could clobber something specific.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

pbpancho posted:

Well sure, you're running a list that Phantoms are pretty much made to take apart. No high-PS, no turrets, no stress dealers, no area effect weapons (prox mines or bombs or assault missiles). All you can really do is pray.

I've been running Biggs, Chewie, and Roark, with swarm on Chewie so I can take 2 PS12 shots. Also a great solution for Soontir or Wedge or other high-end pilots.

I suppose. Are flèchette torpedoes with munitions decent against them? I imagine you can make them much more predictable when they keep getting stressed.

Phantoms might just be a good meta game shakeup because BBXX has been dominant for a while. I've attempted to use ten numb, wedge, and Ethan and that seems decent. I might switch to using a variant of XBE when rebel aces comes out because the new pilot with PtL looks good.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Chill la Chill posted:

I suppose. Are flèchette torpedoes with munitions decent against them? I imagine you can make them much more predictable when they keep getting stressed.

Phantoms might just be a good meta game shakeup because BBXX has been dominant for a while. I've attempted to use ten numb, wedge, and Ethan and that seems decent. I might switch to using a variant of XBE when rebel aces comes out because the new pilot with PtL looks good.

Yep, Flechettes, R3-A2, Rebel Captive, all that stuff is great against them.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Ion missile Blount is good too, though tricky to get a lock and fire same turn. A hit will seriously hamper a phantom though.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Here's a list that might be fun:

Blues Jam

Blue Squadron Pilot — B-Wing 22
Sensor Jammer 4

Blue Squadron Pilot — B-Wing 22
Sensor Jammer 4

Etahn A'baht — E-Wing 32
Opportunist 4
Sensor Jammer 4
R2-D2 4
Shield Upgrade 4

If opponent doesn't focus, they're going to take a while getting through the shields. If they do, they've got a dilemma, because they're likely to get hit hard with Opportunist + Etahn's power if they spend it on offense, and take forever drilling through shields if they keep it for defense.

The right choice is probably to kill Etahn first but he can turtle up pretty well with evade + shield + R2-D2.

Best part is it doesn't depend heavily on actions, so it survives a furball well, and might even want to encourage one with the PS 2 Blues.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 7, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Can you have more than one stress token on any time? I'm wondering what happens if you field Tycho with PtL - you can take actions while stressed, so you can K-turn and do an action; then PtL triggers off you doing an action, which means you could also use it. Would you end up with two stress tokens? Could you keep racking them up?

Also, I'd appreciate some feedback on the 5 Interceptor list I posted a bit earlier if anyone has any. I have no idea how badly it's going to run. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 7, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I once had 5 stress tokens on my b-wing from shooting at a slave-1 with rebel captive.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Are 2-ship elite Rebel builds a thing? I'm thinking loaded-up Luke & Han or something similar. Am I nuts?

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
God help me I found a an online store selling the starter for £20 delivered and leapt in. Will have a play when it arrives and see how I like it...

At least its cheaper than Warhammer, scotch and cigars which is what I'd have spent the money on otherwise.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Can you have more than one stress token on any time? I'm wondering what happens if you field Tycho with PtL - you can take actions while stressed, so you can K-turn and do an action; then PtL triggers off you doing an action, which means you could also use it. Would you end up with two stress tokens? Could you keep racking them up?

This is exactly why the A-Wing is the only ship to come with more than one Stress token.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

plester1 posted:

Are 2-ship elite Rebel builds a thing? I'm thinking loaded-up Luke & Han or something similar. Am I nuts?

The only real two-ship Rebel build right now is dual Falcons, though I suspect Falcon/Outrider will be popular when the time comes.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I finally bit the bullet and bought the starter set, an A-wing and Defender. I've got a second starter set, Tie, Tie Int, Tie Advanced and Y-wing on the way.

For storage I was thinking of this

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Cover-Tackle-Organizer/dp/B001ECQPVQ

Also I'd run initially a Vader, Howlrunner + 4 Academy Pilots for Imperial.

I'm not amazingly interested in flying rebels.

However I'll be running a participation game with the local nerd society in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have a participation game format for completely new players?

I may have to accomodate like 8-10 people. I was thinking of 1 ship each, but 2 Ties for some.

For my next purchases I'm thinking a couple of B-wings and an X-wing to build up the Rebel side. It would mean I could go XXBB. Though the Falcon and Slave 1 would be good purchases.

Where is the best place in the UK to buy stuff? I keep seeing the Americans in the thread get ships for like $8. Can we import them? I'm just starting out, so a bunch of stuff from the earlier waves is a good idea for me (like more Tie Interceptors, Y wings and Tie Bombers).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you import, you'll have to pay to pay P&P on top and you will likely be hit by customs charges on the way in as well, I would not recommend buying from abroad. I usually buy from Board Game Guru but it doesn't always have everything in stock. It has the expansions for 10 pounds and you have to pay P&P but it still usually works out cheaper than buying for 12 pounds from most other retailers.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Thundercloud posted:

Where is the best place in the UK to buy stuff? I keep seeing the Americans in the thread get ships for like $8. Can we import them? I'm just starting out, so a bunch of stuff from the earlier waves is a good idea for me (like more Tie Interceptors, Y wings and Tie Bombers).

Honestly, with the exception of a handful of places, most online stores / LGS' will cost you around £12 a ship once you factor in postage / discounts etc., there's no one 'go to' place for cheap ships in the UK. Most of the time it's a question of who actually has what you want in stock (an ongoing issue, but if you're patient you'll get most of what you want)

I get most of mine from https://www.the-outpost.co.uk - they've only just started stocking X-wing so it'd be good to keep their sales up as an incentive for them to keep stocking it. Throw on postage and it's not that much cheaper than elsewhere but if you're buying multiple ships in one go then you'll see some savings.

Occasionally I'll order from amazon and I hear that waterstones actually stock them in their bigger shops, never bothered looking there myself but worth a shot if you're desperate for something.

Just avoid fleecers on ebay who will take advantage of people desperate to get their hands on a ship that's out of stock everywhere and will charge over the odds for it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Nevermind.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

From that board game guru place I bought one of every wave 4 ship, p&p was around 3 pounds so I made a saving of 5 pounds on the ships over rrp. The only issue is that it's a smaller store so they have less stock.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

However I'll be running a participation game with the local nerd society in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have a participation game format for completely new players?

I may have to accomodate like 8-10 people. I was thinking of 1 ship each, but 2 Ties for some.

This is an interesting thought. Let's say I own a core and one of each expansion that's out at the moment. If I wanted to set up several games to teach people, giving each person one or two ships, what would be fair match-ups?

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Personally, I would run a 2v2 game with 60-100 points per side, and play one of the spots. That way players can see how multiple ships interact without having to fly them all at once. I don't feel like 1-ship v 1-ship conveys that the game is fun. This also allows players to learn from each other. Play ships that are primarily support, yourself, so you don't dominate the game.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

The best way to teach a group is probably doing 40 point free for all games. The goal is to destroy 60 points of ships. Its non-elimination because once your ship gets blown up you just re-deploy within range 1 of the edge, but not within range 3 of any other player's ship. If you setup a bunch of squads before hand you can even let people switch squads during the game.

Its great for demo's because a ton of people can easily play at one table if only one person knows the rules and doing one or two ships isn't overwhelming.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I like that idea, too, because you can still throw in some squads with some minor synergy so people can see it's more than just move-and-shoot.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Does Etahn's ability apply to all attacking ships or only him? One guy in my playgroup thinks that it's only him, as other abilities that share are worded differently, but everything else I've seen seems to indicate otherwise. Is there an official rulings page somewhere?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Does Etahn's ability apply to all attacking ships or only him? One guy in my playgroup thinks that it's only him, as other abilities that share are worded differently, but everything else I've seen seems to indicate otherwise. Is there an official rulings page somewhere?

It's a little weirdly worded, but his ability triggers "when an enemy ship inside your firing arc at Range 1-3 is defending," not "when you fire on an enemy ship." As written it affects every enemy ship that is within his printed arc, at range 1-3 and defending, regardless of what they are defending from.

e; in other news, I caved and bought a Firespray-31 today. I don't know how I'll fit it in a 100 point list but some of the stuff you can do with it and Krassis/Kath with a Merc Copilot look really, really fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well to me the ability seems pretty clear: it's just worded differently because it needs to specify that it has to be within his firing arc. If it meant that it was only Etahn attacking that triggered it, it would have stated so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a little weirdly worded, but his ability triggers "when an enemy ship inside your firing arc at Range 1-3 is defending," not "when you fire on an enemy ship." As written it affects every enemy ship that is within his printed arc, at range 1-3 and defending, regardless of what they are defending from.

e; in other news, I caved and bought a Firespray-31 today. I don't know how I'll fit it in a 100 point list but some of the stuff you can do with it and Krassis/Kath with a Merc Copilot look really, really fun.

Run it with a mini-swarm of Fighters or give it a bit less equipment (usually just the HLC) and use it as the fire support/tank for a couple aces. Those builds tend to work well for me.

• Locked thread