Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Zenzirouj posted:

Oh yeah? What are your main gripes with it?

1) Coming from a Nexus 5, laggy as gently caress. My work GS4 feels faster, though only since the 4.4.2 OTA. It's not just the animations, I'm reasonably well-versed in how animations can mask or exacerbate responsiveness issues and it's not the animations, it feels like the GS5 is actively choking.
1a) Camera is laggy as poo poo.
2) NFC turns off on its own, no rhyme/reason.
3) As near as I can tell, wireless charging is flat out busted. Click the question mark under my avatar in this thread to see my effortpost. Bottom line: For me GS4 and Nexus 5 charge at "1900mA" over wireless, this thing is locked to a USB rate. This makes my car mount almost pointless ... and it would be pointless except:
4) Charging port cover is a piece of loving poo poo. My first completely fell off <2 weeks in and I got a replacement GS5 (for free, thanks T-Mo) which I have used the port a total of twice (for file transfer) in an effort to preserve the cover. This means I can't use the regular charging cable and must resort to wireless charging for the vast majority of my usage--which is fine for me since I have multiple Qi pads.
5) Settings are incoherent, even more than usual compared to the usual Touchwiz fuckery. Ex: there's like 3 different spots for call handling--Accessibility, Call Settings, and something else I can't remember, and all the settings can and often do conflict with each other such that you don't know what setting might turn off your ability to customize what other settings.

and

6) It almost feels like this isn't a flagship product for Samsung. Something to release in an interim while better phones with actual, reasonable, quality are released as premium phones.

FWIW my mom has a Note 3, I set it up for her, and it feels about as nice as my GS4.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BoyMeetsWorld posted:

I'm currently on a HTC One X and have run out of storage. I went and deleted photos, I'm down to only the apps I like, deleted old SMS threads etc. I even deleted some app caches from my computer (only about 50mb).
Problem is I can't even update apps anymore because I'm out of storage.
The phone says 5.8gb out of 6gb for app storage and 6.6gb out of 9.9gb for phone storage. Any ideas of where to go from here?
DiskUsage might help you identify what's eating your space.

It's definitely a cache somewhere.

api call girl posted:

SGS5 complaints
It's not like you're alone in this, every review of the S5 mentions the horrible lag and the terrible software. Found my post about it with links to reviews mentioning it and a bonus video showing its Gingerbread-era performance:

LastInLine posted:

You're the only one or you've become acclimated to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DChf8nhi2tM

I'm guessing you've just internalized it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 8, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

It's not like you're alone in this, every review of the S5 mentions the horrible lag and the terrible software.

Yeah it's bad enough that I'm considering using another T-Mo Jump for a Fall-release phone or something and I usually stick with a phone for longer than that. So unless Samsung pulls a rabbit out of their hat and make the equivalent of GS4's 4.4.2 update for the GS5, or lets the L release through relatively unmolested, I'll probably replace this piece of poo poo by Christmas.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 8, 2014

BoyMeetsWorld
Aug 31, 2006

LastInLine posted:

DiskUsage might help you identify what's eating your space.

It's definitely a cache somewhere.
It's not like you're alone in this, every review of the S5 mentions the horrible lag and the terrible software.

Thanks, definitely a useful app. I also found out separately that Google Newsstand was taking up a ton of space.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
The trick to enable "OK Google" everywhere worked for me and its loving awesome.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I have a Galaxy S5. It's not that bad.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

That is not exactly a ringing endorsement for a $700 device.

For reference, my wife's $200 Moto G is a hell of a lot better than 'not that bad'. It's a solid phone and a pleasure to hold and use. The price is just the cherry on top.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/8/5881573/test-shows-data-can-be-recovered-from-wiped-android-phones

Avast claims that Android's factory resets do nothing and you can "easily" get back all photos, texts, personal data, search history...everything from a factory reset phone.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

That is not exactly a ringing endorsement for a $700 device.

For reference, my wife's $200 Moto G is a hell of a lot better than 'not that bad'. It's a solid phone and a pleasure to hold and use. The price is just the cherry on top.

What would you like? I mean it does everything I want it to do and everything it doesn't there is an app for. Performance is pretty snappy for me. My on,y gripe is I can't really change the lock screen.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Demo units suck.

A demo unit convinced me to by an S3 when it was new. I like Samsung stuff, I have a Samsung phone, tv and watch, but I've never used a working S5 that made me want to buy it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

It's not bad, it's just objectively slower and more jittery than every other Android flagship and most of the non-flagships.

I mean as long as you refrain from comparing it to anything it should be possible to Defend Your Purchase.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

leidend posted:

A demo unit convinced me to by an S3 when it was new. I like Samsung stuff, I have a Samsung phone, tv and watch, but I've never used a working S5 that made me want to buy it.

Ya I love LG, I have an LG phone, TV, washer dryer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/8/5881573/test-shows-data-can-be-recovered-from-wiped-android-phones

Avast claims that Android's factory resets do nothing and you can "easily" get back all photos, texts, personal data, search history...everything from a factory reset phone.

quote:

Deleting files from your Android phone before selling it or giving it away is not enough. You need to overwrite your files, making them irretrievable. To do so, install avast! Anti-Theft from the Google Play Store.
They don't mention what phones they bought, what versions of Android they were on, and if the data was stored on the SD card or on the internal memory. They also claim to have found 250 dick pics and only 250 contacts, which points to the SD card, which isn't touched in a factory reset. They also don't mention how they recovered the data. If they plugged in the device, the only way they're going to see it is through MTP and I'm pretty sure that's not going to show any deleted files, so did they physically open the devices and connect to the NAND some other way? How? On a modern device with TRIM there's no chance of retrieving deleted data anyway so really the warning should be "format your SD card before you sell your phone, idiot." Or maybe "don't use SD cards."

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

They don't mention what phones they bought, what versions of Android they were on, and if the data was stored on the SD card or on the internal memory. They also claim to have found 250 dick pics and only 250 contacts, which points to the SD card, which isn't touched in a factory reset. They also don't mention how they recovered the data. If they plugged in the device, the only way they're going to see it is through MTP and I'm pretty sure that's not going to show any deleted files, so did they physically open the devices and connect to the NAND some other way? How? On a modern device with TRIM there's no chance of retrieving deleted data anyway so really the warning should be "format your SD card before you sell your phone, idiot." Or maybe "don't use SD cards."

Or they could (kind of) lie about poo poo and say "OH BUT NOT IF YOU BUY OUR lovely PRODUCT!!!"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Or maybe "don't use SD cards."

Oh hey, look at this right answer here.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

big mean giraffe posted:

Or they could (kind of) lie about poo poo and say "OH BUT NOT IF YOU BUY OUR lovely PRODUCT!!!"
That's why I put that quote there. They're the same guys that say "We found 870,000 malwares for Android but we're not going to tell you what they are or where we got them from."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

In any case there's also zero downside to turning on filesystem encryption on an Android phone. You should have a PIN lock anyway so "but it turns PIN lock on" is not a valid downside.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

In any case there's also zero downside to turning on filesystem encryption on an Android phone. You should have a PIN lock anyway so "but it turns PIN lock on" is not a valid downside.
I've never used a secure lockscreen and I'm not sure I'd want to.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

r0ck0 posted:

Good for you! My point being that I'm not another stock android goon who doesn't like Samsung because BLOAT

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

leidend posted:

Good for you! My point being that I'm not another stock android goon who doesn't like Samsung because BLOAT
I don't think we don't like Samsung because BLOAT, I think we don't like Samsung because BAD. Obviously if the changes to stock Android were good we'd like them, just like we do Motorola's changes.

I guess I can see how it's not really a fair comparison since Motorola's changes are useful, work as advertised, and don't degrade the speed and UX of the device while are also abstracted enough to make updating the system easy whereas Samsung's are, well, the opposite of that. But then, that's my point--if Samsung were good at software they wouldn't be in the situation they're in losing 25% of their operating profits YoY.

This is directly related to the user experience because the numbers show that the principle take away from TouchWiz is, "Well this is horrible, never again." If Samsung's improvements were actually improvements people would come back on their two year upgrade and that isn't happening.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Motorola's recent efforts are great but I'd probably stay away from the sales angle to make the point.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
There's been more chit-chat about the Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ph...rc=rss&attr=all

I can early upgrade at the end of August, and my contract is up in November. I'd like good specs in a Compact-size form factor. Is this realistic or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

The G3 Wash sounds pro.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LastInLine posted:

I guess I can see how it's not really a fair comparison since Motorola's changes are useful, work as advertised, and don't degrade the speed and UX of the device while are also abstracted enough to make updating the system easy whereas Samsung's are, well, the opposite of that. But then, that's my point--if Samsung were good at software they wouldn't be in the situation they're in losing 25% of their operating profits YoY.

This is directly related to the user experience because the numbers show that the principle take away from TouchWiz is, "Well this is horrible, never again." If Samsung's improvements were actually improvements people would come back on their two year upgrade and that isn't happening.

It's may also be their not very subtle way of transitioning to tizen, or a by product of it.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Picked up an HTC One m8 today; picked it up over the Nexus 5 for the build quality and SD card slot. I immediately regret letting Sense into my life but i was happy to learn that its fairly easy to convert over to GPE.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nostrum posted:

Picked up an HTC One m8 today; picked it up over the Nexus 5 for the build quality and SD card slot. I immediately regret letting Sense into my life but i was happy to learn that its fairly easy to convert over to GPE.

What are your gripes? I just picked up a M8 myself and I'm far from offended by Sense.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
My main gripe with the Galaxy S5 is how Samsung's idea of focusing on the core experience really meant stripping away most of the Touchwiz features without adding anything of substance. I imagine the truckloads of cash from Google and all the Touchwiz features making their way into AOSP with 4.4 and L had something to do with that. Still, with the Note 3 having what is probably the best version of Android presently available it feels like a big step back.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

What are your gripes? I just picked up a M8 myself and I'm far from offended by Sense.

Its not BAD by any stretch, certainly leagues ahead of Samsung's Touchwiz abortion, its just a little 'busy', plus i just prefer the stock android experience. I dont like things that are different.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

Still, with the Note 3 having what is probably the best version of Android presently available it feels like a big step back.

Please don't troll this thread, thank you

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
So I got an LG G Watch, and have been playing with it for about 30 minutes. Some initial thoughts:
I like the overall style, such as it is. The hardware gets out of the way, and the screen and software work well (after the OTA update which was waiting).
When they say "always on" screen, they mean it. It is literally always lit up. I half-expected a transflective display like the WIMM One used which was quite readable in sunlight. According to reviews, this isn't. You can turn off the always-on feature, but then the screen is literally off until you wake it by touch or by raising your hand.
It has no internal speaker. This surprised me since I expected google now on the watch to be able to answer me out loud since it certainly uses voice input. There goes my invisible slide-whistle app.

One of the watch faces is called "coordinates" and bears a striking resemblance to one of the watch faces I designed for WIMM which became one of their official faces. I offered them (Google/WIMM) the rights to use another, more popular, face I'd designed, but I guess they really liked this one. I'm actually pleased to see it there.

Notifications work wonderfully and naturally, even with apps that haven't been updated to take advantage of Wear features. I'm looking forward to writing Wear apps.

It has pedometer functionality. It seems to take a while to update; it went from 0 steps to 83 in one go. I'm going to wear the watch tomorrow, and compare its numbers to those from my fitbit.

It has a standard 22mm watch band. Good to know, in case I want to change it.

Battery life is supposed to be about one+ day. It's hard to tell when I'm messing with it so much.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

RVProfootballer posted:

Please don't troll this thread, thank you

How is that even remotely close to "trolling this thread"? Touchwiz on the Note 3 is in fact one of the most customizable, feature complete Android builds on the market right now. Sure it has all the usual Samsung gimmicks, but those are entirely optional, unobtrusive features. On the other hand you've got a shitload of added features that to be honest, should've been a part of Android long ago, such as:

-Customizable lock screen and shortcuts
-Always listening voice commands
-Power Saving mode (coming soon to AOSP)
-Do not disturb mode (coming soon to AOSP)
-Hands-free driving mode
-Actually useful, customizable QSP
-Optional battery % indicator (coming soon to AOSP finally)
-Customizable sms tones and vibration patterns
-Incoming call notification that doesn't interrupt what you're doing on the phone (also coming soon to AOSP)

That's just off the top of my head, without counting the little improvements to the stock apps, or things like swiping down on the top of the screen in full screen apps, which was just recently added to stock Android as well. I've found the rest of the Android pack have some of these features, but the Note 3 seems to be the only one to have them all, the only other Android build I've seen come close is Motorola's.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

leidend posted:

Motorola's recent efforts are great but I'd probably stay away from the sales angle to make the point.
Making a good product isn't necessary to have great sales, it's necessary for repeat sales.

What Samsung got right and got right at the right time was branding and marketing. At a time when every OEM was selling the same phone under different names on different carriers, Samsung figured out that it was far preferable to sell the same device with a recognizable name on every carrier. It gives you a name to sell, and a brand consumers know to ask for.

Hell, it's the whole reason Verizon invented the "Droid" branding since no OEM was making anything recognizable.

Of course, having a good product is only important if you want the customer to come back and buy the next one. This bodes well for Motorola since the Moto G is their best selling smartphone ever and while being low margin, is an outstanding product that's doing well worldwide.

Boiled Water posted:

It's may also be their not very subtle way of transitioning to tizen, or a by product of it.
This is certainly true.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Exit Strategy posted:

I pretty much use my phone and Wallet as novelty payment whenever I can. Allegheny Tea and Coffee has an NFC pad? Looks like I'm paying with the thing already in my hand! Oh, look, the grocery store uses NFC pads. Welp, don't have to put my phone away and get my wallet out. Oh hey, Sheetz accepts NFC payments for gas! Looks like I'm using my phone!

It's fun.

Are people blown away?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

b0nes posted:

Are people blown away?

They stood up and clapped when I used it at a supermarket and a walgreens the other day.

And that kid was Albert Einstein.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

api call girl posted:

They stood up and clapped when I used it at a supermarket and a walgreens the other day.

And that kid was Albert Einstein.

I've used Google wallet to pay twice. The first time almost got banned from the 7-11 around the corner. The second time at McDonald's the guy was so excited he called all his friends out of the back to look. It was weird.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Nostrum posted:

You'll lose any nice features about the camera if you make the switch. The pics taken by the GPE m8 with the Google Camera app literally look like a photo taken from an old feature-phone.

Best option is to side load the Google Now launcher onto Sense and let it be, then it's the perfect (android) phone.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

b0nes posted:

Are people blown away?

Sometimes. Mostly younger cashiers, which is when the universe turns into an actual rendition of STDH.txt. "Hey wait did you just pay with your phone?" "Yep. State of the art. 'Bye."

People either get irrationally angry at the idea - Best Buy's loss prevention people called down a manager to verify that I had actually paid - or ridiculously excited.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 9, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Nostrum posted:

Its not BAD by any stretch, certainly leagues ahead of Samsung's Touchwiz abortion, its just a little 'busy', plus i just prefer the stock android experience. I dont like things that are different.

Sense is way loving better than stock android. It already has nearly all the features people are creaming themselves over coming to L, looks gorgeous and doesn't have any of the loving baggage of Touch Wiz.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I can't seem to find the google now launcher on the play store. Nearest I found is something called KitKat Launcher but it occasionally crashes.

Even though it's basically the same, the Moto X launcher just has a few 'features' I'm not a fan of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can't seem to find the google now launcher on the play store. Nearest I found is something called KitKat Launcher but it occasionally crashes.

Even though it's basically the same, the Moto X launcher just has a few 'features' I'm not a fan of.

You'll likely have to sideload it, look for it in AndroidPolice's generic Android device apk section on androidfilehost.com

• Locked thread