Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MeLKoR posted:

You're starting from the premise that he's afraid of "thought police" in the abstract which is wholly unsubstantiated if you've been following this thread. They're all for thought police provided that thought police is enforcing their thoughts.

Oh, I know that. I was saying that he has such a terminal case of cognitive dissonance that he probably doesn't even realize his ideal society is virtually indistinguishable from his worst nightmares. You can bet in Schlaflytopia they'd be "morality guides" or some poo poo like that because it's totally not fascism if you call it something else*.

*truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Call it Organization for Mobilization of the Oppressed Christians and they'd love it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Seriously, is the liberal mindset aborting all babies ever or something?

Yep. See, conservatives are pro-life and liberals are pro-choice. Since conservatives are the opposite of liberals, then pro-life and pro-choice are also opposites. That means, therefore, that pro-choice means anti-life. Thus, since liberals are anti-life, it stands to reason that they want all babies aborted.

razorrozar posted:

Oh, I know that. I was saying that he has such a terminal case of cognitive dissonance that he probably doesn't even realize his ideal society is virtually indistinguishable from his worst nightmares.

No see his ideal society is completely different from his worst nightmares, because in the latter he's being oppressed whereas in the former he's the one doing the oppressing. See? Complete opposites.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yep. See, conservatives are pro-life and liberals are pro-choice. Since conservatives are the opposite of liberals, then pro-life and pro-choice are also opposites. That means, therefore, that pro-choice means anti-life. Thus, since liberals are anti-life, it stands to reason that they want all babies aborted.

Of course not! Only to bring it down to 11 million or whatever the sustainable life population they claim is.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RagnarokAngel posted:

Of course not! Only to bring it down to 11 million or whatever the sustainable life population they claim is.

That's actually a legitimate thing, I think. Isaac Asimov published an article in the 70s or 80s that calculated that under the circumstances considered desirable at the time (which escape me at the moment, but IIRC they were at least somewhat similar to now) the Earth could support about ten million people, and if there's anyone I'd trust to crunch the numbers right it'd be Asimov. Of course, Asimov didn't then conclude "let's kill off 99% of the population", but the numbers are probably at least reasonably sound.

As an aside, Asimov is a personal hero of mine. He truly loved the human race and he believed we were capable of amazing, wonderful things. This man was a feminist and a supporter of homosexual equality throughout all the toxicity of the 70s and 80s. I truly wish I'd been able to meet him, but he died when I was 2.

Also he was a drat good sci-fi writer and hilarious to boot.

e: it occurs to me that I misread your post and "they" is in fact us. My apologies!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Fulchrum posted:

Ahah, its funny because people can't be assholes unless they're secretly gay.

No, the implication is that the angriest, shrillest, froth-at-the-mouthiest homophobes -- the ones who say that OBVIOUSLY it's a choice, and if society wasn't homophobic then nothing would stop men from leaving their wives and having gay orgies all the time -- are secretly gay.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Parahexavoctal posted:

No, the implication is that the angriest, shrillest, froth-at-the-mouthiest homophobes -- the ones who say that OBVIOUSLY it's a choice, and if society wasn't homophobic then nothing would stop men from leaving their wives and having gay orgies all the time -- are secretly gay.

:stare: that makes a disturbing amount of sense.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Parahexavoctal posted:

This is a pretty awful joke if for no other reason than the fact that it puts the blame for homophobia squarely on homosexuals, which is obviously not the case. That's not to say that violently homophobic people never turn out to be gay but it is to say that you should stop making those jokes until a given homophobe is caught doing something gay.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

razorrozar posted:

There's even been at least one study on it: http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/psp/102/4/815/

edit: Non-academic discussion of the paper from Psychology Today

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Notorious QIG posted:

This is a pretty awful joke if for no other reason than the fact that it puts the blame for homophobia squarely on homosexuals, which is obviously not the case. That's not to say that violently homophobic people never turn out to be gay but it is to say that you should stop making those jokes until a given homophobe is caught doing something gay.

Except that loudly anti-gay politicians are caught loving somebody of the same gender so often it isn't even news anymore.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^
This isn't actually true at all.

razorrozar posted:

Roughly 10% of Americans are gay. I am 1000% sure that not even a statistically relevant number of bigots are in that 10%.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I enjoy the near constant derails all over the place where left wing progressive people explain how it's totally ok to make 'heh must be a human being am I right dudes' jokes because of one lovely study and a bunch of anecdotal poo poo.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Notorious QIG posted:

That's a very good point, I didn't consider that. Even if the study does have some value it's not worth the implications just to insult frothing bigots, especially when there are so many ways and reasons to do that without saying homosexuals are the root of homophobia.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I enjoy the near constant derails all over the place where left wing progressive people explain how it's totally ok to make 'heh must be a human being am I right dudes' jokes because of one lovely study and a bunch of anecdotal poo poo.

"Everyone that says homophobes are secret homosexuals are actually homosexuals themselves. You know this is true because a gay dude said it once. It's so true you don't even hear about it anymore!"

I guarantee no one would believe this. But this doesn't stop people unironically saying that homophobes are gay.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's not even just 'saying they're gay' which would just be dumb. Lots of lovely progressives seem to love any chance to be all 'heh, yea, you're anti gay marriage, I guess you love cock like a big fat queermo!' Like, it's super awesome to see all my 'allies' giggling about what a big human being everyone they don't like must be. Which you know totally shows them who's boss because, see, being gay is bad but also screw them for thinking being gay is bad.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's not even just 'saying they're gay' which would just be dumb. Lots of lovely progressives seem to love any chance to be all 'heh, yea, you're anti gay marriage, I guess you love cock like a big fat queermo!' Like, it's super awesome to see all my 'allies' giggling about what a big human being everyone they don't like must be. Which you know totally shows them who's boss because, see, being gay is bad but also screw them for thinking being gay is bad.

My reaction was "haha how can anyone maintain that level of self-delusion and self-loathing", not "haha stupid gays pretending not to be gay".

That said, I agree with you, because at its root it's progressives using homosexuality as an insult in the exact same way the people we're talking about use it. It maintains the negative stigma attached to homosexuality, with the only difference being that it's targeted at a group that deserves mockery. Just because the target is acceptable doesn't mean any insult you care for fling at them is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

Take a Wild Guess Which Major City Led the Fourth of July Gun Violence.[3]

Just your latest update in Conservapedia using people dying to push their weird agendas. I think. It's hard to tell because the tone of the article itself is pretty goddamn somber but the headline just screams "heh liberals :smug:"

Do I need to be scared of the godless liberals or mocking them please tell me andy I'm so confused

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What if it's good-guy gun violence?

e. Just checked their source, people in the comments are actually still using 'Obama Voter' in a super clever totally not racist way.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 8, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I've learned nothing of intelligence ever comes from people that use terms like that or "Obummer" and so on. You're just going to get whatever Rush's latest talk points were and that's it

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

It's Cleveland, Ohio! That's the site of the 2016 Republican National Convention. [4] LeBron James' agent reportedly wants him to return to Cleveland too.

This is one headline. Why are these two thoughts joined like this. Isn't LeBron an Overrated Sports Star or soemthing? What is going on?

quote:

When a president who is a Democrat is mocked by a late night comic, it's over.[8]

Comedian makes joke, clearly it's a sign that the entire thing is hosed. Let's not ask about Bush...

First one has a citation of 4, the second has 8. One item is in between them. What is it that deserves THREE citations?

quote:

How the Great Flood led to a change in the calendar of the earth. [5][6][7]

What is this all abou-

quote:

Something similar might have happened within the objects that formed out of the ejecta from the Flood.

Is this more lunar bukkake jesus christ guys.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Basically if a woman was accused of committing adultery, but she wasn't caught in the act, she was given the "water of bitterness" which, if she was guilty, would cause her to miscarry. I guess when a priest gives a woman an abortion it's totally fine, as long as it's a test of marital faithfulness.

Actually the moral of the story is that abortion is totally fine as long as the woman has no choice in the matter.

When it's a man forcing an abortion on an unwilling woman, it's perfectly godly, because the fetus is of course completely worthless.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

VitalSigns posted:

Actually the moral of the story is that abortion is totally fine as long as the woman has no choice in the matter.

When it's a man forcing an abortion on an unwilling woman, it's perfectly godly, because the fetus is of course completely worthless.

I wonder what percentage of "water of bitterness" was administered by clergymen who had spent time balls-deep in the woman in question.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I agree that claiming homophobes are closeted is problematic and don't think it should be done or encouraged, but think it comes from a different place than wanting to call people "queermos". There is a lot of rhetoric from certain people on the right claiming that homosexuality is clearly a choice and implying that allowing homosexual marriage is bad because it will encourage people to choose gay marriages instead. That only makes sense if you think lots of "straight" people would prefer to be in homosexual relationships, and that is a somewhat natural belief if you yourself are closeted. Also, the right embraces conversion therapy, which essentially encourages gay people to pretend that they are straight, it's pretty natural to think that some of the people claiming gay people can simply be straight are themselves gay people who are "being straight". It's not exactly a stretch to say that people who think that being homosexual is a choice, and who think that homosexuals should just become straight, are themselves homosexuals who are choosing to act straight.

Having said that, calling someone you disagree with a member of "other group" generally carries with it the implication that "other group" is bad, so it should probably be avoided unless you mean to make that implication. Also, to the extent that vocally homophobic people are actually closeted homosexuals, the proper response is not mockery, but disappointment in a society that causes such self loathing in a person that they feel the need to not only hide what they are, but to actively oppress others like them.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Actually, you're all gay.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Not My Leg posted:

Having said that, calling someone you disagree with a member of "other group" generally carries with it the implication that "other group" is bad, so it should probably be avoided unless you mean to make that implication. Also, to the extent that vocally homophobic people are actually closeted homosexuals, the proper response is not mockery, but disappointment in a society that causes such self loathing in a person that they feel the need to not only hide what they are, but to actively oppress others like them.

Well, my criticism isn't that being gay is bad but being a gigantic hypocrite is bad. Which, of course, seems to be a pretty common trait among right wing politicians, especially in the light of how many of them turn out to be everything they say they hate. This sanctity of marriage bullshit is just one of the biggest ones. You always hear this ONE MAN ONE WOMAN UNBREAKABLE CONTRACT MARRIED FOREVER crap from guys that are either secretly gay/bi, have been married four times, or have mistresses, often in multiples.

I, for one, just flat out don't care if people want to be gay and/or promiscuous. What I take issue with are these people that make "this is bad" a part of their political platform while doing the thing that they are saying is bad but secretly.

Of course it's also hosed up and tragic in that homophobia is such a boon to a political career that gay people are perfectly willing to use it even though it hurts themselves in the process. It'd be better if we as a society just didn't care and let people be as gay as they please.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Comedian makes joke, clearly it's a sign that the entire thing is hosed. Let's not ask about Bush...

Theyre saying comedians are part of the liberal media so if they make fun of a democrat then they must be really bad!

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Theyre saying comedians are part of the liberal media so if they make fun of a democrat then they must be really bad!

I too remember how reverential and respectful late night talk show hosts were during the Bill Clinton presidency.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
You'd think that comedians making jokes about it would be a further sign of liberal media bias to Conservapedia. "These guys are trying to make light of the horrible tyranny Obama is inflicting upon us!"

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

razorrozar posted:

As an aside, Asimov is a personal hero of mine. He truly loved the human race and he believed we were capable of amazing, wonderful things. This man was a feminist and a supporter of homosexual equality throughout all the toxicity of the 70s and 80s. I truly wish I'd been able to meet him, but he died when I was 2.

Also he was a drat good sci-fi writer and hilarious to boot.

e: it occurs to me that I misread your post and "they" is in fact us. My apologies!

Feminism aside Asimov did seem to have a problem with sexually harassing women. As evidenced here:http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamonds/2012/09/09/we-dont-do-that-anymore/

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Barlow posted:

Feminism aside Asimov did seem to have a problem with sexually harassing women. As evidenced here:http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamonds/2012/09/09/we-dont-do-that-anymore/

Oh. :smith:

Obviously I neither condone nor forgive that. It's a lovely thing to do. It's not wrong to appreciate and seek to emulate his good qualities, though, is it?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Could be worse, could be Bradbury. Or early/later Heinlein.

EDIT: Good gently caress Asimov really did write about every possible subject didn't he?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It is not condoning the actions to understand that we can and should respect certain people for their good deeds, since there are exactly zero people here that could be combed thoroughly and nothing bad would come up.

People do lovely things. They might still be decent people.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Vahakyla posted:

People do lovely things. They might still be decent people.

Conservapedia is not an example of this, sadly.

quote:

Liberals Hate Religion Because Government Is Their God.[6]

I just want to quote this entire article.

quote:

The liberal attack on religion stems from envy, greed, anger and hate, just like every other precept of liberalism. Liberals envy the loyalty and devotion that religion inspires. They hunger greedily to have it for themselves.

quote:

And they hate God for having the temerity to define right and wrong.

It's just so amazing.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Checkmate, homos.

quote:

Germany trounces same-sex marriage Brazil by a record-breaking rout of 7-1, in front of Brazil's home audience in the World Cup semifinals. [3] Like other nations growing in strength, Germany does not cave into the homosexual agenda.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Georgia Peach posted:

Checkmate, homos.
Civil unions are legal in Germany, at least.

I do wonder what would make you think that this has anything at all to do with same-sex marriage. But that's Conservapedia's MO: take something that happened and attribute great moral significance of it, since the triumph of conservatism is inevitable etc etc.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Civil unions are legal in Germany, at least.

Gay marriages are unconstitutional though, so they probably just focussed on that and the relevant constitutional court quotes that go with it. They probably don't even know about civil unions' existance. Or the even older decisions that upheld various criminal laws related to homosexuality while disregardin the fact that those laws have been abolished and that the basis of said decisions would probably cause those laws to be unconstitutional today.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Georgia Peach posted:

Checkmate, homos.

Oh man I wish Conservapedia had been around in World War II. Reading about the manly Protestant Germans inflicting massive defeats on decadent liberal France, Soviet Communism, and the worldwide militant homosexual agenda would have been amaaaaaaaazing :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Could be worse, could be Bradbury. Or early/later Heinlein.

EDIT: Good gently caress Asimov really did write about every possible subject didn't he?

I'm afraid to ask, but what's wrong with Bradbury?

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

quote:

Germany trounces same-sex marriage Brazil by a record-breaking rout of 7-1, in front of Brazil's home audience in the World Cup semifinals. [3] Like other nations growing in strength, Germany does not cave into the homosexual agenda.

Uganda, the most anti-gay country in the World, has never qualified for the World Cup. Jamaica and Iran have never made it past the first round. Maybe the gays know a thing or two about soccer?

And wait a second - "growing in strength"? I thought Germany was one of these countries being slowly ground down by Islamo-facism. I just can't keep up anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

letthereberock posted:

And wait a second - "growing in strength"? I thought Germany was one of these countries being slowly ground down by Islamo-facism. I just can't keep up anymore.

There's nothing to keep up with. Nothing is true unless they want it to be to make a point and then it's only true until they finish talking about it.

• Locked thread