Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Afro posted:

You need a classic controller. You can't even start the game up without one plugged in.

Is this the case with all Wii VC games? Or at least all of them played on the Wii channel of the Wii U?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Alteisen posted:

Midna was annoying and Fi was overbearing, thus far the only companion character worth a poo poo was the kind of red lions.

Make him a playable character.

That would actually be cool...assuming you mean the King of Hyrule and not literally having a boat character.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
The One Piece game that came out on the eshop today seems to have decent enough reviews. Plus I am reading (although I haven't been able to confirm it) that the wii U is getting the dlc for free that the other systems have to pay for. I will probably download the game tonight and I can update the thread with impressions when I have got my feet wet.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Hydrocodone posted:

Is this the case with all Wii VC games? Or at least all of them played on the Wii channel of the Wii U?

I'd imagine not, because you can do NES VC with sideways wiimote.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Havoc904 posted:

The One Piece game that came out on the eshop today seems to have decent enough reviews. Plus I am reading (although I haven't been able to confirm it) that the wii U is getting the dlc for free that the other systems have to pay for. I will probably download the game tonight and I can update the thread with impressions when I have got my feet wet.

Actually I was wanting to pick it up too, but need to go out and pick up some extra storage for it since it is 15 GB and I only have 10 left on my Wii U. I have never played a one piece game before but am a fan of the idea and from what I have seen of the manga so far, I expect it to be a bit above average.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TaurusOxford posted:

That would actually be cool...assuming you mean the King of Hyrule and not literally having a boat character.

The King of Red Lions should be the equivalent of the boat weapon from DW8.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm late to the party but I picked up Shovel Knight today and it's even better than I'd thought it would be. It controls so much better than actual NES games so I'm loving it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what is the recommend version of Shovel Knight? I know it's out on at least Wii U, 3DS and PC

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hydrocodone posted:

I am pretty certain that you can only use the wii-mote for the NES titles. You need a classic controller for the SNES and N64 titles. I've not tried any of the other console stuff.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what is the recommend version of Shovel Knight? I know it's out on at least Wii U, 3DS and PC

Most people say the Wii U version is the best since it has Digger's Diary

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It controls great on Wii U, but part of me wishes I'd bought it on 3DS because the levels are a little long and the boss fights can take a while if you keep dying. I miss being able to clamshell shut the game and start back where I left off when I come back to it later.

So I guess it depends how ADD you are.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I got it on 3DS, but that's not my recommendation, necessarily.

The 3D is cool (just a subtle layers thing, like a diorama). The streetpass feature is really, really great (but you gotta think of where you live and if you'll get streetpasses). And of course it's just fun to have the portability.

If you don't want or can't use those features, I would also recommend Wii U. Wii U and PC will both get 4-player local battle, which the 3DS won't unless there's a surprise announcement in the future. No good reason to expect it (I just hope).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alteisen posted:

Never played Majora.

Do yourself a favor and remedy this.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I know this has been answered before, but I'm on my phone so I can't look it up. Is the Wii U a USB 2.0 or 3.0 device?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

USB 2.0 plugs on it

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

numerrik posted:

I know this has been answered before, but I'm on my phone so I can't look it up. Is the Wii U a USB 2.0 or 3.0 device?

From http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64324453:

quote:

WiiU uses USB 2.0, but it should be noted that you can use 3.0 devices on 2.0 however they will only be able to run at 2.0 speed.

Basically, pointless to spend more on a 3.0 harddrive when it will run at the same speed of the cheaper 2.0 drive.

Also, guy who thinks Midna is bad and has never played Majora's Mask: your opinions are silly and should play good games like Majora's Mask.

Thanks to the thread for reminding me I still need to get Shovel Knight on my Wii U. What's the new One Piece game people are talking about? The series is great, but I haven't heard about a new game coming out for it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Of course the E-shop would be down when i want to buy Shovel Knight :(

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I will probably pick up a 3.0 since that is what seems to be the cheapest. Just wanted to make sure it was compatible.

The new one piece game is out on the ps3 Wii U and 3ds. The game is called one piece unlimited world red. The Wii U version is a digital copy only comes in at 15.2 gigabytes if I remember correctly.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Link's Grandmother from Wind Waker confirmed in Hyrule Warriors as a playable character

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Shyfted One posted:

Link's Grandmother from Wind Waker confirmed in Hyrule Warriors as a playable character

Game of the year, all years

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Question: When you use the funds earned from the Digital Deluxe promotion to buy games on the e-shop, do you still earn Digital Deluxe points to put towards future credit?

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Pegnose Pete posted:

Question: When you use the funds earned from the Digital Deluxe promotion to buy games on the e-shop, do you still earn Digital Deluxe points to put towards future credit?

Yup!

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Pegnose Pete posted:

Yes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shyfted One posted:

Source this right now

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

numerrik posted:

I will probably pick up a 3.0 since that is what seems to be the cheapest. Just wanted to make sure it was compatible.

The new one piece game is out on the ps3 Wii U and 3ds. The game is called one piece unlimited world red. The Wii U version is a digital copy only comes in at 15.2 gigabytes if I remember correctly.

Important to know that a USB 3.0 drive might want to pull more power than the ports will provide, so you'll need a "Y" cable that lets it pull from two at once. Find out what kind of plug goes into the drive itself when getting that cable since there are a bunch of differently shaped plug-ends these days.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Important to know that a USB 3.0 drive might want to pull more power than the ports will provide, so you'll need a "Y" cable that lets it pull from two at once. Find out what kind of plug goes into the drive itself when getting that cable since there are a bunch of differently shaped plug-ends these days.

I'll run contrary to this and say that Nintendo recommends an externally powered drive for a reason. A surprising amount of people with digital copies of MK8 with Y-cable powered HDDs have experienced save corruption. Do not get an external hard drive for your Wii U that isn't externally powered. The Wii U's USB ports simply do not provide enough power to reliably run the hard drive.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 9, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Good point also because some non-AC-adapter drives try to get smart and power down at inopportune times.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Thanks!

Also love the Zero III avatar.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo really ought to partner up with someone to license an external HDD that fits all the specs and is guaranteed to work right. Then there'd be an easy hassle-free answer while still letting people shop around.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I don't fully know why 4GB WiiU's were offered in the first place. In Nov 2012 the release date of the Wii U solid state drives were running for under 2€/GB and Nintendo could have easily included 32GB from the very beginning for a very reasonable price increase.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I enjoy playing Wii Fit.

There, I said it.

Nolgthorn posted:

I don't fully know why 4GB WiiU's were offered in the first place. In Nov 2012 the release date of the Wii U solid state drives were running for under 2€/GB and Nintendo could have easily included 32GB from the very beginning for a very reasonable price increase.
I imagine that the 8GB Wii U was Nintendo's way of cutting corners as much as they possibly could because they knew that $350 seemed way too expensive.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Hey I'm buying Wii Fit U soon, am I missing out on a great deal considering that I only have one Wiimote+? From what I gather I don't get dance and I don't get climbing, I'm sure it's still worth it but is having another Wiimote+ (freeking 40€+) worth it?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

deadwing posted:

I'll run contrary to this and say that Nintendo recommends an externally powered drive for a reason. A surprising amount of people with digital copies of MK8 with Y-cable powered HDDs have experienced save corruption. Do not get an external hard drive for your Wii U that isn't externally powered. The Wii U's USB ports simply do not provide enough power to reliably run the hard drive.

poo poo, are you sure they were using Y cables? The NeoGAF thread was recommending specific drives with Y cables and I bought one. A few people mentioned having issues but none of them seemed to be using both USB slots....

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

I imagine that the 8GB Wii U was Nintendo's way of cutting corners as much as they possibly could because they knew that $350 seemed way too expensive.

That's exactly it. Nintendo's been big about releasing their consoles around the $200-$250 price point for all of their consoles in the past. Launch prices for past consoles were: NES+SMB=$199 (NES+ROB+Zapper+SMB/Duck Hunt/Gyromite=$249); SNES+SMW=$199; N64=$199; Gamecube=$199; Wii+Wii Sports=$249

What they didn't count on is that the initial install base would ignore it in favor of the more expensive option to the point that white Wii Us are incredibly rare. They might as well start selling a white 32GB variant to justify the existence of all the white peripherals collecting dust in store displays.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Nolgthorn posted:

Hey I'm buying Wii Fit U soon, am I missing out on a great deal considering that I only have one Wiimote+? From what I gather I don't get dance and I don't get climbing, I'm sure it's still worth it but is having another Wiimote+ (freeking 40€+) worth it?

For Wii Fit U, probably not, but there are at least a couple other games out there (Nintendo Land and Wii Sports Club come to mind) where having another Wii Remote Plus would be beneficial. You can probably find it for cheaper depending on where you live, but I'm not sure how much I'd trust that off-brand I keep seeing when I look for Remote Pluses. Besides, the Remote Plus can be... finicky, so you might be best ignoring the games that use two of them, anyhow.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

According to this thread the Wii U is having trouble with all external hard drives after the latest firmware update, even drives with their own power supplies....

Between this and Nintendo's awful account system I think the Wii U is just not meant to be a digital system.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hmm, I haven't noticed any problems with my drive, and I've been playing regularly just about every day, have downloaded plenty of stuff in the last few weeks, etc. It's a USB 3.0 using a Y cable.

Edit: Looks like towards the bottom of that page, the guy says he was only using one USB port(that was just one guy though, others still have the problem).

greatn fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 9, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Just stopping in to say that I am loving Wind Waker HD and I really didn't think I was going to. I played it today until the gamepad battery was starting to die, plugged it in and played for an hour or two more. I haven't had that long of a play session in probably 3 years.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Is there some way I can buy Wii Fit U with a balance board and fit meter and have the digital version as opposed to the one on disk? If I'm going to be exercising for 30 minutes every day it's going to be a real pain to switch out disks every time. It seems like this is not an option! I must buy a balance board from somewhere, buy a fit meter and then purchase the digital version all separately. Well that's crap Nintendo do you hear me that's crap.

Fremry posted:

Just stopping in to say that I am loving Wind Waker HD and I really didn't think I was going to. I played it today until the gamepad battery was starting to die, plugged it in and played for an hour or two more. I haven't had that long of a play session in probably 3 years.

This is what I've been enjoying too most over anything about the system so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Nolgthorn posted:

Is there some way I can buy Wii Fit U with a balance board and fit meter and have the digital version as opposed to the one on disk? If I'm going to be exercising for 30 minutes every day it's going to be a real pain to switch out disks every time. It seems like this is not an option! I must buy a balance board from somewhere, buy a fit meter and then purchase the digital version all separately. Well that's crap Nintendo do you hear me that's crap.

This is what I've been enjoying too most over anything about the system so far.

A while back you could get used fitness boards dirt cheap. Don't know of it's still the case but worth a check.

• Locked thread