Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.
I'm not sure about your taxonomies, but if it's a standard wordpress parent/child type relationship, you're unlikely to get it with a simple foreach loop because it needs to be able to walk up the tree.

If you take a look at this gist you should be able to modify the recursive function to fetch the parent and work from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I experimented with that for a while but couldn't actually get it to display any information. I've also messed around with this: http://cazue.com/articles/wordpress-creating-breadcrumbs-without-a-plugin-2013 - but it just displays:

Home
-
-
-Post name

The 2 bits of information that I actually want to display are missing. All I've got is a custom post type (which is easy enough to display), and another custom post type which is set to be a child of the first custom post type. So an actual example is, my actual custom taxonomy is "machine type". Then inside that, I've created a machine type of "Boom lift", and then another, "articulated boomlift" which is a child of "boom lift". It seems like a standard thing to want to display a parent then child category, but I can't seem to find out how to do it! I'm so new to this I'm probably just not searching for the right terminology....

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm pretty sure that I want to embark on the road to becoming a full stack developer, or at least become competent enough to be employable. I currently work for a small startup with multiple responsibilities from QA to training to support, and through the position I've become at least somewhat familiar with HTML coding, SQL server, the Agile development process/scrum, FogBugz and a few other systems. So now I'm looking to build on that foundation and try to become more proficient in web development.

Does anyone have any experience with the website The Odin Project? It looks like a relatively recent new website (came up in May of this year I think) and seems to offer a ton of information on becoming a full stack web developer. Ranges from introduction to web development 101, Ruby programming, Ruby on Rails, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript and JQuery, and getting hired. I'm reading through a few of the introductory lessons now but was wondering if anyone else has gone through their process. Completely free! I read through the OP and didn't see it mentioned, but if anyone has any feedback if it's valuable enough to go through I'd greatly appreciate it.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 7, 2014

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
Update on my Wordpress issue: I've finally found some code which seems like it's tackling the right problem:
code:
 <?php 
// get top level terms
$parents = get_terms( 'machine_type', array( 'parent' => 0 ) );
// get post categories
$categories = get_the_terms( $post->ID, 'machine_type' );
// output top level cats and their children
foreach( $parents as $parent ):
// output parent name and link
echo '<a href="' . get_term_link( $parent ) . '">' . $parent->name . '</a>: ';
// initialize array to hold child links
$links = array();
foreach( $categories as $category ):
    if( $parent->term_id == $category->parent ):
        // put link in array
        $links[] = '<a href="' . get_term_link( $category ) . '">' . $category->name .      '</a>';
    endif;
endforeach;
// join and output links with separator
echo join( ', ', $links );
endforeach;

?> 
However, what it outputs isn't quite right. For example, on a machine which is categorised as a Boom Lift, and also an Articulated Electric Boom Lift, it's now displaying: "Boom lift: Articulated Booms (electric)Scissor lift: Spider-lift:"

So it's adding on 2 other categories which aren't applicable to this machine. Any ideas?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chris! posted:

Update on my Wordpress issue: I've finally found some code which seems like it's tackling the right problem:
code:
foreach( $categories as $category ):
    if( $parent->term_id == $category->parent ):
        // put link in array
        $links[] = '<a href="' . get_term_link( $category ) . '">' . $category->name .      '</a>';
    endif;
endforeach;
?> 
However, what it outputs isn't quite right. For example, on a machine which is categorised as a Boom Lift, and also an Articulated Electric Boom Lift, it's now displaying: "Boom lift: Articulated Booms (electric)Scissor lift: Spider-lift:"

So it's adding on 2 other categories which aren't applicable to this machine. Any ideas?

Isn't that loop going to add in everything that shares a parent with your target? It sounds like that's what's happening.

I think you want to walk back up the parent chain (category, category->parent, category->parent->parent, etc.) rather than enumerating the list of categories like that.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Subjunctive posted:

Isn't that loop going to add in everything that shares a parent with your target? It sounds like that's what's happening.

I think you want to walk back up the parent chain (category, category->parent, category->parent->parent, etc.) rather than enumerating the list of categories like that.

Hey, yes that exactly what's happening. I have no idea how to specifically display only the Parent and Child categories though. I've been trying some hacky work around but it's not working and my knowledge of php just isn't enough right now!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chris! posted:

Hey, yes that exactly what's happening. I have no idea how to specifically display only the Parent and Child categories though. I've been trying some hacky work around but it's not working and my knowledge of php just isn't enough right now!

What you want to do is this, in pseudocode (I don't know the WP stuff well and my PHP is rusty):

code:
$category = $target; // electric boogaloo lift or whatever
$string = "";
while ($category) {
   // put the category at the beginning of the string
   // at the beginning this is just putting the target's name in 
  $string = name_of($category) + " " + $string;

// move up to the parent
  $category = find_category_for($category->parent)

// $category will be null if not found, meaning we've hit the top
  // otherwise, we'll loop and process the parent
}
Edit: or put each one in $links[] and join, rather than doing the string math directly.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 8, 2014

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Lumpy posted:

In other news:

Somebody finally made a good Bootstrap theme!

https://kristopolous.github.io/BOOTSTRA.386/index.html

I know I'm late but this is insanely cool.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Would it be feasibly - by which I mean would it make sense - to create a web framework that does literally nothing but CRUD, defining models, interacting with a database and responding to JSON requests? Like, one specially engineered for that specific purpose?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I'm not sure if this is exactly the right thread to ask this but I'm trying to set up an internal knowledge base for the place I work on Windows Server 2012 r2 with IIS 8. I've got php/fastcgi installed correctly but when viewing the site on anything other than the server itself, the .css, .js and images 404. I've got static content enabled, css and js setup in mime types, and have permissions enabled correctly for the IIS user server on the wwwroot folder but still no dice.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 8, 2014

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Pollyanna posted:

Would it be feasibly - by which I mean would it make sense - to create a web framework that does literally nothing but CRUD, defining models, interacting with a database and responding to JSON requests? Like, one specially engineered for that specific purpose?

http://expressjs.com/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Except not written in Javascript, because I don't hate myself THAT much.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Subjunctive posted:

What you want to do is this, in pseudocode (I don't know the WP stuff well and my PHP is rusty):

code:

$category = $target; // electric boogaloo lift or whatever
$string = "";
while ($category) {
   // put the category at the beginning of the string
   // at the beginning this is just putting the target's name in 
  $string = name_of($category) + " " + $string;

// move up to the parent
  $category = find_category_for($category->parent)

// $category will be null if not found, meaning we've hit the top
  // otherwise, we'll loop and process the parent
}

Edit: or put each one in $links[] and join, rather than doing the string math directly.

Hey thanks for taking the time to think the problem through. I'll try and use what you suggested tomorrow and will let you know how I get on.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Windows Server 2012 r2 with IIS 8. I've got php/fastcgi installed correctly but when viewing the site on anything other than the server itself, the .css, .js and images 404. I've got static content enabled, css and js setup in mime types, and have permissions enabled correctly for the IIS user server on the wwwroot folder but still no dice.

View the source of the page on the localhost, and then view the source on the external machine connecting to it. Check if there are any differences. Check the .js and .css files have the correct paths.
Try to view the .css and .js files by visiting the links provided in the HTML. If you view the site in chrome you can usually just use Developer tools and click through to them.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there some sort of minimalist self hosted Youtube clone I can host on my own server? I want to upload whatever the hell videos I want without worrying about Youtube taking it down or something because I sampled the wrong piece of music.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Except not written in Javascript, because I don't hate myself THAT much.

Please elaborate.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Lumpy posted:

Please elaborate.

Yes, please.

been working with SailsJS (I believe it is built on top of express?) and it has been relatively painless (then again I am a relative newb in most respects)

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Sails is okay on the face of it, but the inconsistencies in documentation are annoying, and the ORM is quite limited, no relationship support whatsoever.

Its automated REST routes are fine if all you need is a 1 to 1 database table to REST resource mapping, but provides little scope for growing beyond that, bar writing the endpoints yourself, which you can do, sure, but at that point your directly dealing with Node middleware and scrapping about with the ORM.

If CRUD using REST resources and JSON (or any serialisation really) is what you're after, its hard to go wrong with Django plus the Django REST Framework, which for a little bit of extra effort gives you a far better toolset to build, document and grow your API over time.

You don't get socket.io for free like you do with Sails.js, but what you get in return is far more valuable.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

fletcher posted:

Is there some sort of minimalist self hosted Youtube clone I can host on my own server? I want to upload whatever the hell videos I want without worrying about Youtube taking it down or something because I sampled the wrong piece of music.

Just use the HTML5 video element.
... And forget about anything under IE9
... And convert to mp4 and webm
... And make sure your server can handle the bandwidth

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I've spent about 4 hours banging my head against the wall with my app I'm working on.

All I want to do is get Google OAuth2 authentication working in my AngularJS application.

I managed to get https://github.com/enginous/angular-oauth working but the things that the author is saying in the roadmap section of the repo's README aren't filling me with much confidence in terms of security and compatibility.

Most of the aforementioned time was spent with: http://andreareginato.github.io/oauth-ng/ which seems like it *almost* works but keeps getting stuck on 'The redirect URI in the request: http://127.0.0.1:9000 did not match a registered redirect URI' despite me setting up the addresses correctly in the Google Developer Console. I've tweeted the author of oauth-ng asking for help so I guess I'll see how that goes.

I've got to go to bed before I pass out, but if anyone could help me out with this I'd be truly grateful.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

fletcher posted:

http://www.videojs.com/ for display
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ (or possibly http://handbrake.fr/) for conversion
http://www.dropzonejs.com/ for friendly uploading

I'm not aware of a project that glues them together on the back-end, though

E: poo poo, that'd be right in my wheelhouse. Wish I had more free time :\

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 9, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Munkeymon posted:

http://www.videojs.com/ for display
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ (or possibly http://handbrake.fr/) for conversion
http://www.dropzonejs.com/ for friendly uploading

I'm not aware of a project that glues them together on the back-end, though

E: poo poo, that'd be right in my wheelhouse. Wish I had more free time :\

I'm tempted to spend a weekend doing it, I thought for sure somebody would have done it already tho.

This one looks pretty nice but has a lot more functionality than I'm really looking for: http://mediadrop.net/

Maybe static html + <video> tag is the right solution for me

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

fletcher posted:

I'm tempted to spend a weekend doing it, I thought for sure somebody would have done it already tho.

This one looks pretty nice but has a lot more functionality than I'm really looking for: http://mediadrop.net/

Maybe static html + <video> tag is the right solution for me

There's really no reason not to use video.js because it'll do nice things like fall back to flash for IE 8 or 9 users and I think you can just point it at a video tag on a static page to get that feature, but haven't tried that specifically.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there really not a video.js wordpress plugin that does this sort of thing already? That would seem an unusual omission in the universe.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
^ Unrelated, but did you ever find a way to intercept scroll events on mobile web while the page is still moving, or did you have to use a native library to help?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kobayashi posted:

^ Unrelated, but did you ever find a way to intercept scroll events on mobile web while the page is still moving, or did you have to use a native library to help?

I was able to get scroll events in JS for non-inertial scroll, and with native code I was able to get inertial scroll.

But for my use case it turned out to not matter, because the webview wouldn't react to any changes I made until scrolling was finished anyway, so I couldn't lazily add images before they were scrolled into view. Boo. The web sucks. Boo.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Subjunctive posted:

I was able to get scroll events in JS for non-inertial scroll, and with native code I was able to get inertial scroll.

But for my use case it turned out to not matter, because the webview wouldn't react to any changes I made until scrolling was finished anyway, so I couldn't lazily add images before they were scrolled into view. Boo. The web sucks. Boo.

I was wondering about that. So all JavaScript Is deferred til the end of momentum, not just timers, yeah?

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Is there really not a video.js wordpress plugin that does this sort of thing already? That would seem an unusual omission in the universe.

Yes, there is, but it's not going to get you the transcoding, which is usually the biggest headache for people who want a "simple" video solution.

A fun weekend project would be making a full wordpress plugin that can do the transcoding server-side using handbrake CLI, to complete Munkeymon's original request. Finding a host that's happy to put up with the CPU load on the other hand...

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

v1nce posted:

Finding a host that's happy to put up with the CPU load on the other hand...

I'd be running it on a dedicated server so no biggie there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maluco Marinero posted:

I was wondering about that. So all JavaScript Is deferred til the end of momentum, not just timers, yeah?

You can run script that you trigger from native during momentum, but the web view won't visibly react to it.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
My background is more in scientific computing and I would like to make a personal website to showcase my work (portfolio) and host some code, tutorials, etc. Eventually I want to make some demonstration apps as learning tools. These will involve potentially cumbersome processing time so I would like it to be done client-side.

I haven't built a web page since geocities times using HTML and CSS only.

I want to use this as an excuse to learn more ...stuff. I am not worried about learning new languages, but when it comes to the server/client and MVC yadda yadda I am unsure. Basically, I don't know how all the parts fit together.

Django was first appealing to me as a 'full-stack' framework but now I am thinking it is overkill for what I need. I am leaning toward a bootstrap framework and using jQuery or something for the demonstrations (which again may be computationally intensive). I would rather use python or something -- is there a way it can be done where the processing is done client-side?

Basically, if any of you have any basic introductory resources to these types of questions -- How these parts fit together (MVC, server/client comms, what exactly is a template, model, view, etc.) and how to determine whether or not apps will be processed client-side that would be awesome. Also, can anyone tell me what Django does, exactly? I've walked through some beginning tutorial steps but I am still unsure. Is it simply an easy way to setup server/client communications and serve applications written in python via the browser? Where does the front-end come in all of that?

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Hello,

I am currently working as a devops engineer (yeah, I know) at a company and am working closely with a web dev team. I am having a rough time with the way they develop.

The environment:
All physical desktops are windows PCs and the CEO won't shell out for Macs
Running VirtualBox with Ubuntu Desktop 12.04
Code is written on and deployed to the same Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 VM
Ansible (Chef in python) is used to manage server and code deployments

The impact:
Everyone's environments are different
Deployments fail due to dependencies being modified, added to or removed (aka: we can't predict what the environment will be that code goes to)
Code isn't tested against blank slate machines- there's always residual code and installs

What I use/what I proposed they use:
"control"/dev machine (ubuntu desktop VM, or in my case Mac OS) where you write code
Target deploy VM running ubuntu server 12.04 which is our prod environment

Their concern:
They can't dev quickly if they have to write code, then deploy it to another machine to see if their code fixed a bug or worked they way they wanted to. Seems like a valid concern.

My question:
How can we setup their dev environments to be extremely fast but also result in safe code that doesn't live on their dev VM's? I am getting tired of fixing random one off stuff just to get someone's Ansible Playbook to successfully deploy code.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Use docker?

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Kudaros posted:

My background is more in scientific computing and I would like to make a personal website to showcase my work (portfolio) and host some code, tutorials, etc.

[...]

I haven't built a web page since geocities times using HTML and CSS only.

To me, this screams Wordpress. I know you've got your heart set on using a framework and learning something cool, but for a portfolio you want to get up and running ASAP with the least amount of dicking about. Wordpress can be up and running with the minimal of experience inside of a day. You can start publishing stuff, and you can fill it with plugins and theme it to your hearts content thereafter, and you won't be scratching your head for a month going "why did i roll my own CMS.. how do I WYSIWYG.. whats going on with my UTF8 characters.." etc.

If you want to build little apps to showcase stuff, this is where you can use Django, Symfony, blah blah blah, and it's probably a good idea not to lump all these "little projects" into the same application; you might as well create 20 different little applications than struggle your way through maintaining one big fat one with crap hanging off it all over the place, which is also your portfolio. These can sit alongside your portfolio and you just link them to. Stick them in /projects/ or something.

For learning, all I can suggest is reading the Symfony2 documentation, which is pretty good at explaining the concepts (HTTP, MVC) but it's PHP rather than Python (Django). Still worth reading, just don't read the code.

I hadn't heard of docker until you mentioned it. This is actually a really good solution provided you meet the system requirements, which are 64bit and linux. You should be OK with this as you said they're running ubuntu in the VMs, so another layer of abstraction can't hurt, right? ;)

The other alternative is to use Vagrant to create VMs which closely resemble what's on production. These can be provisioned using Chef so the VM is as-close-as-possible to prod, and you can re-povision or destroy/rebuild them with just a couple of commands. The idea is you check in the files used to configure the vagrant VM, and then everyone ups the same configuration. If the server needs to be changed to add an executable or modify a config, that should go in too, and it's all tracked in your source control.

Now for the problems:
Vagrant is intended to run headless, though you could start it straight from VirtualBox after it's been provisioned if you want to use it like a desktop.
Vagrant uses some bizarreo filesystem mapping stuff; you're supposed to leave the code on the host machine and execute it from the VM, which maps the directory, but this mapping is slow as balls on windows, which really cripples how fast the VM feels.

Either of these two solutions would help standardise your setups, but I'd personally suggest you look into Docker first to host standardised "images".

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Why can't the devs work in Linux? Plenty of web dev tools available in OSX are also compiled for Linux. What keeps them in windows at all?

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

v1nce posted:

To me, this screams Wordpress. I know you've got your heart set on using a framework and learning something cool, but for a portfolio you want to get up and running ASAP with the least amount of dicking about. Wordpress can be up and running with the minimal of experience inside of a day. You can start publishing stuff, and you can fill it with plugins and theme it to your hearts content thereafter, and you won't be scratching your head for a month going "why did i roll my own CMS.. how do I WYSIWYG.. whats going on with my UTF8 characters.." etc.

If you want to build little apps to showcase stuff, this is where you can use Django, Symfony, blah blah blah, and it's probably a good idea not to lump all these "little projects" into the same application; you might as well create 20 different little applications than struggle your way through maintaining one big fat one with crap hanging off it all over the place, which is also your portfolio. These can sit alongside your portfolio and you just link them to. Stick them in /projects/ or something.

For learning, all I can suggest is reading the Symfony2 documentation, which is pretty good at explaining the concepts (HTTP, MVC) but it's PHP rather than Python (Django). Still worth reading, just don't read the code.

I (lied/forgot) actually have used wordpress in the past and thought it was alright, but I do actually have some time to learn (PhD student with a break coming up!). I've basically got decision paralysis from all the frameworks available -- of which, Pelican, Bootstrap, and Django are all attractive to me. So lets say I build my portfolio element of the site with some easier method, like Pelican. Pelican is described as a 'static-site generator' so I take it I won't be able to integrate a demo where users input data, the client does some calculations, and the page displays the results on these Pelican pages? It is still possible to write apps in Python and serve them on the site on non-pelican pages, right? Forgive me if these questions are too basic...

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

From what you've said, Pelican will be problematic as it's designed more as a static site generator than a web framework. Django should be able to do just about anything you want it to, and combined with the Django CMS package you should be able to get up and running pretty quickly. I'm assuming you know Python.

For front-end HTML/CSS frameworks the two choices are usually Bootstrap3, which has https://bootswatch.com to provide a whole ton of theme alternatives and a crapload of stuff written for it, or Foundation which is a little different and a little more recent, and nifty looking. I don't know if Django comes with anything or has a preference.
While we're on the subject of CSS, try to learn SASS which is a CSS-like language that compiles to CSS. Initially you probably won't have much use for it, but when it comes time to style stuff you want to be using SASS and using it properly. This is more of an early FYI that it exists.

Avoid doing too much JavaScript for now, which includes JavaScript front-end frameworks (AngularJS, KnockoutJS, Meteor) as they'll just over complicate everything at this stage. Feel free to dabble - it could look nice on the portfolio and the first two hours with AngularJS are awesome, but after that you need to know your way around, and for your first site it's not worth getting bogged down.
jQuery is probably going to be your first stop on the JavaScript tour, so when you feel the need to JavaScript, look up how to do it with jQuery.

If you get a few pages working with Django's CMS bundle then you should be able to create some new controllers in the same Django app to do forms and calculations and results type stuff you're talking about.

Gather your tools, figure out a workflow, create something, feel good about it. Repeat these steps often and slowly add complexity each time.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Kudaros posted:

Pelican, Bootstrap, and Django are all attractive to me.

Make sure you're clear on what these frameworks are actually doing. Bootstrap just makes your site look nice, while django will actually make your apps work. If you use django you'll still probably need something like bootstrap (and vice versa). I've never used Pelican but it kind of just looks like a way of updating a simple blog site quickly and easily - maybe not the best choice for a portfolio?

e: oops, V1nce's post is much more comprehensive

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kudaros posted:

I (lied/forgot) actually have used wordpress in the past and thought it was alright, but I do actually have some time to learn (PhD student with a break coming up!). I've basically got decision paralysis from all the frameworks available -- of which, Pelican, Bootstrap, and Django are all attractive to me. So lets say I build my portfolio element of the site with some easier method, like Pelican. Pelican is described as a 'static-site generator' so I take it I won't be able to integrate a demo where users input data, the client does some calculations, and the page displays the results on these Pelican pages? It is still possible to write apps in Python and serve them on the site on non-pelican pages, right? Forgive me if these questions are too basic...

Sorry if this is too basic / dumbed down:

Pelican only outputs static HTML files. You cannot process any forms / data with Pelican. Every page is served exactly the same to every user no matter what.
Bootstrap only styles pages ,and provides some layout and client side components. Bootstrap is only included on pages generated by something else.
Django is a server side framework that you can do just about anything in, as it will be able to take user input and output different stuff based on that.

That said, you can use all three together: your main site can be static pages generated by Pelican, that incorporate Bootstrap to make them pretty-ish, and you could then have dynamic apps / demos handled by django. You could obviously do everything in Django, with or without Bootstrap. You lose some simplicity there, but not much, and you gain consistency and they ability of the parts to inter operate better.

I would avoid wordpress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
If you feel that Django is overkill you can't go wrong with Flask. It's easy to learn and you can get a working site very quickly.