Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Shh, before I patch this and go do all the missions again just to re-read the completion dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Brain In A Jar posted:

Shh, before I patch this and go do all the missions again just to re-read the completion dialogue.

That's what I just did!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just loving love old-school hip-hop, you know.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Brain In A Jar posted:

That poo poo *has* to be all on a wiki somewhere... right?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Megazver posted:

That poo poo *has* to be all on a wiki somewhere... right?

One of the wikis has some, but sometimes with the wrong texts or inaccurate copies of the text.

Hugh extracted them all to a text file at one point, and I was tempted to write a thing that would parse it to be vaguely readable, but :effort: and the file's out of date by now.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Relavite noob here - is there any way to repair items during missions? I'm on the final stretch of last train to cairo, I can't leave, and everything is red.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Schurik posted:

Relavite noob here - is there any way to repair items during missions? I'm on the final stretch of last train to cairo, I can't leave, and everything is red.

If you have enough veteran points you can buy a thing in the item store that lets you do just that, its called the Reconstructor and its 30 veteran points. Otherwise, no you'll have to go find a vendor.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Le Saboteur posted:

If you have enough veteran points you can buy a thing in the item store that lets you do just that, its called the Reconstructor and its 30 veteran points. Otherwise, no you'll have to go find a vendor.

Yeah...sadly Funcom hasn't quiet figured out that there should he a way to repair in instances. I had that problem during the tank mans sewer mission. My aegis was lovely enough that I couldn't get shields down quick enough and had to use my reconstructor.

Of course somehow it bugged out and I had a reconstructor that was on cooldown and all my gear was broken. But that's just Funcom for ya.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pubbies.txt

quote:

[*Kraest]: Can we have a general rule that if you're not actively attempting Happy Feet that you don't hang around in Agartha? I've lagged out of it four times because so many people are hanging around.

Edit: Anyone know if the Fear Nothing Foundation pamphlet was translated? Searching the actual TSW forums is kind of hard for me or I'd just go do that.

Double edit: Found an English one in game. Does it say the same as the Japanese one though? I HAVE TO KNOW!!!

Triple edit: Some of these bathroom stalls have no toilets.

Len fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 7, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So the dragon faction representative for Tokyo is fan-loving-tastic. It's like someone sledgehammered the Joker together into Bugs Bunny and a Japanese mobster.

He kind of makes me want to roll a dragon to play through it again. Plus he's so enthusiastic about the apocalypse and how they're going to unexpectedly mangle it to shreds since the odds say they're hosed. He has the best logic. :allears:

I'm surprised the Illuminati representative was so low key compared to that. All they get is a slightly hammy actor attached to a hilarious looking demon.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 7, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Dragon debriefs tend to be much less amusing than Illuminati ones, but they also tend to have more insight into what's really going on than the other factions. Like, in Kingsmouth, they figured out the significance of the Filth when the other factions were still just talking about it as a weird biohazard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I broke it.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Rincewind posted:

Dragon debriefs tend to be much less amusing than Illuminati ones, but they also tend to have more insight into what's really going on than the other factions. Like, in Kingsmouth, they figured out the significance of the Filth when the other factions were still just talking about it as a weird biohazard.

Dragon debriefs are either "Yes we totally knew this in advance" (when they probably didn't know poo poo) or its just a bunch of really cryptic poo poo.

Illuminati briefs are the most entertaining but tell you the least about what's going on.

Templat briefs are always very encouragin but they smack of being patronizing at times.

Sonnac>Geary>Bong Cha for voices though.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Klein is still the best voice over.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Has anyone used this addon? http://www.curse.com/tsw-mods/tsw/boowarnings It sounds kinda neat.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Just 600 more AP for Panoptic Core. :confuoot:

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
It's a grind I could have only done with the help of extra XP weekends and those energy drinks they had. It's a pretty cool glowy outfit though.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Len posted:

Double edit: Found an English one in game. Does it say the same as the Japanese one though? I HAVE TO KNOW!!!

I'll check in to it and report back to you; just for you.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Len posted:

Yeah it does. It reads like the English one was written first, then translated into Japanese.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Looks like another ARG is starting up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvmu5pq9ivpgrh0/IRC%20INTERCEPT%20-%2007072014B.txt
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ettcakzfe24o1uh/IRC%20INTERCEPT%20-%2007072014.txt

No rewards or anything like that yet but its cool they are continuing to do these ARGs.

Solutions are here http://thesecretsanctuary.net/topic/10390302/1/

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

Len posted:

Has anyone used this addon? http://www.curse.com/tsw-mods/tsw/boowarnings It sounds kinda neat.

I use it and yeah, it works as advertised and it's a godsend.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

HughGRect posted:

Klein is still the best voice over.

Ze Ankh, symbol of rebirth! And you will be reborn, in a fashion...

God I love that dungeon

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Zephonith posted:

Yeah it does. It reads like the English one was written first, then translated into Japanese.

Yeah, this is 100% how all the Japanese is in Tokyo. It's super basic stuff. For reference:

Original English:

WHAT IS THE GREAT MESSAGE?
WHAT IS THE GREAT COMING TOGETHER?
You are not your body. You are not your fear. They put those weights on you. They keep you weighted, sedated, and confused. Isn't it time to let go? Isn't it time to soar? Free your potential. See what lies trapped under your fear.
You are made of stars. Fear nothing!

Found the Japanese:

大いなる教えとは?
大いなる団結とは?
あなたとはあなたの体ではない。あなたとはあなたの恐れではない。それらはあなたに重しとして乗しかかる。重みを与え、落ち着かせ、混乱させ続ける。解き放つ時が来たのではありませんか?高く舞い上がる時ではありませんか?あなたの可能性を解き放ちましょう。恐れの下に閉じ込められている偽りを確かめましょう。
あなたは星からできている。恐れなど感じません!

It's technically correct, but it's just a bit too literal.

edit: Apparently it's not very smoothly translated, but still gets the message across (to a native Japanese person, anyway)

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 8, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quiz time: What augments are worth my time? What is the current tank meta to get that extra 1% performance?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

Quiz time: What augments are worth my time? What is the current tank meta to get that extra 1% performance?

Current tank meta is basically a Blades/Fist DPS build, but with your choice of tank passives. Though that does only work for single bosses.

Piercing, Brutal, and Fierce augments are the DPS augs most worth having, and thus the most expensive. For Survivability, pick whichever augs balance out the stats you don't have. (So, get Stalwart for some Defense if you already have a lot of Block.) For support, laugh at that corner of the wheel and keep moving, but maybe get Accelerating if you want it. For healing, get anything that interests you, they're all drastically undervalued right now and all of the Fist/Blood augs will rocket in price the moment the Tokyo dungeon forces people to Fist/Blood heal.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What made Hammer not worth using for tanking anymore? And is Chaos still worse now that Evade is being parsed properly?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

What made Hammer not worth using for tanking anymore? And is Chaos still worse now that Evade is being parsed properly?

Probably for DPS reasons. I like my nice little "doesn't die unless I miss an impair and Cheston is on cruise control for heals" setup though. Plus I have no interest in getting new gear and signets and other such bullshit.

I can confirm you can't reset machine tyrant anymore though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So picking hammer/choas and trying to figure out what skills are best to tank with was a bad idea?

Should I switch to a Hammer/Bladeor Hammer/Shotgun combo?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't remember offhand but it's probably fine with the right passives. Sword/Chaos used to be considered the ideal; then that fell out of favor vs Sword/Hammer. I guess now that's less popular.

The main things are adequate threat and applying Exposed. Tank DPS is a secondary concern even in Nightmares, though maximizing it does make sense as long as you're doing the other important stuff too. But that's a lot of work and not strictly necessary.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mr Hootington posted:

So picking hammer/choas and trying to figure out what skills are best to tank with was a bad idea?

Should I switch to a Hammer/Bladeor Hammer/Shotgun combo?

I haven't actually tried this so it's probably incredibly poorly thought out. But theoretically I would set these as my actives:

1. Escalation
2. Karma/Maelstrom/Cry Havok/Reality Fracture. Pick an AoE consumer and run with it. When I mained Chaos I took reality fracture which starting out that's what I would go with because it does generate extra hate.
3. Razor Shards
4. Stones Throw
5. Helter Skelter (impair slot) Chaos just has fun impairs. You could slot beatdown in as that's a fun one too. If you're running Slaughter House NM you NEED a Chaotic Pull or Beatdown. Whippersnapper has just been too unreliable when we've done it for me to trust it.
6. Chaotic Pull (impair slot)
7. Eruption/Black Hole both are fun abilities but you'll probably get more use from Eruption. Just be careful that your target isn't above you on a slope because then Eruption won't hit them. #Funcompetence

Aux. I dunno flamethrower or whip or something? This is really up to personal preference. I usually slot a whip with a binding(?) on it so the rest of the party does more damage

Passives:
1. Intensity
2. Breakdown
3. Shoot 'em up (something that causes an afflict here)
4. 12 gouge
5. agitator
7. (I don't remember what goes in these two slots and I'm not signing back in to find out right now. Sorry)

Aux. Jones in the fast lane if you go whip. Otherwise something relevant to your weapon of choice.

Keep in mind that I run the very old (December 2012) stat loadout of 600/600 block/defense with a minor for pen and the rest is hit. Since then Block has become the new baby and penrating. Block because penetrated hits can really gently caress the healer and penetration rating so that you can actually hit and apply 12 gouge regularly. I always felt like I had no trouble stacking debilitate because of Breaching Shot and Clearing the Path (I use blades).

Rhan and Cheston each have different tank styles so maybe one of them will help you out with other trains of thought.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The issue is that healing is so massively OP at high levels, there is no real reason for the tank to be anything other than a DPS that can keep threat and take spike-damage. Hence the new trend of blade-fist DPS.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GEMorris posted:

The issue is that healing is so massively OP at high levels, there is no real reason for the tank to be anything other than a DPS that can keep threat and take spike-damage. Hence the new trend of blade-fist DPS.

Except I've seen these dps tanks poo poo the bed because if a pull goes slightly wrong they tend to be awful at recovery.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GEMorris posted:

That's a good point, yeah. You can pump out some insane healing numbers, and tons of it usually goes to overhealing anyway.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Len posted:

Except I've seen these dps tanks poo poo the bed because if a pull goes slightly wrong they tend to be awful at recovery.

Bad tanking is bad tanking. Fist doesn't really lose anything vs hammer when it comes to stuns and holding aggro (razor shards wasn't being run due to poor dps ). What's most likely is that melee DPs from the raid started thinking they could tank regular dungeons.

As far as your question about augments, I really like the support one that can make art of war hit 10 targets.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GEMorris posted:

Bad tanking is bad tanking. Fist doesn't really lose anything vs hammer when it comes to stuns and holding aggro (razor shards wasn't being run due to poor dps ). What's most likely is that melee DPs from the raid started thinking they could tank regular dungeons.

As far as your question about augments, I really like the support one that can make art of war hit 10 targets.

Yeah but you know my feelings on Art of War. It's mostly a crutch that is unneeded so that's a slot that can go to a fun ability like Eruption or Black Hole.

And I'll openly admit my builds stem from a hatred of having to actually pay attention to my facing. I like to just be able to move and not have to worry about poo poo like facing when it comes to machine tyrant or fights with lots of adds. Three AoE abilities and dancing usually keeps threat on all the mayans in DW6 when someone pulls them all for example.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Len posted:

I haven't actually tried this so it's probably incredibly poorly thought out. But theoretically I would set these as my actives:

1. Escalation
2. Karma/Maelstrom/Cry Havok/Reality Fracture. Pick an AoE consumer and run with it. When I mained Chaos I took reality fracture which starting out that's what I would go with because it does generate extra hate.
3. Razor Shards
4. Stones Throw
5. Helter Skelter (impair slot) Chaos just has fun impairs. You could slot beatdown in as that's a fun one too. If you're running Slaughter House NM you NEED a Chaotic Pull or Beatdown. Whippersnapper has just been too unreliable when we've done it for me to trust it.
6. Chaotic Pull (impair slot)
7. Eruption/Black Hole both are fun abilities but you'll probably get more use from Eruption. Just be careful that your target isn't above you on a slope because then Eruption won't hit them. #Funcompetence

Aux. I dunno flamethrower or whip or something? This is really up to personal preference. I usually slot a whip with a binding(?) on it so the rest of the party does more damage

Passives:
1. Intensity
2. Breakdown
3. Shoot 'em up (something that causes an afflict here)
4. 12 gouge
5. agitator
7. (I don't remember what goes in these two slots and I'm not signing back in to find out right now. Sorry)

Aux. Jones in the fast lane if you go whip. Otherwise something relevant to your weapon of choice.

Keep in mind that I run the very old (December 2012) stat loadout of 600/600 block/defense with a minor for pen and the rest is hit. Since then Block has become the new baby and penrating. Block because penetrated hits can really gently caress the healer and penetration rating so that you can actually hit and apply 12 gouge regularly. I always felt like I had no trouble stacking debilitate because of Breaching Shot and Clearing the Path (I use blades).

Rhan and Cheston each have different tank styles so maybe one of them will help you out with other trains of thought.

I'm gonna be honest and say I'm getting a little information overload looking at all of the builds from the links in the OP, TSW forums, and learning how to actually tank. I'm not joking when I say this is my first in depth MMO experience.

I'm working my way to this build :http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=48906 It just doesn't feel right though. I want to just smash stuff and be able to absorb damage left and right.

I'll have to take a look at yours and see if it fits what I want better.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Not sure if it's live yet, but word is the Tokyo golem is being patched to give a random SD card + another set of random loot each time you kill him. So if you're grinding away for lore, take a break.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm gonna be honest and say I'm getting a little information overload looking at all of the builds from the links in the OP, TSW forums, and learning how to actually tank. I'm not joking when I say this is my first in depth MMO experience.

I'm working my way to this build :http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=48906 It just doesn't feel right though. I want to just smash stuff and be able to absorb damage left and right.

I'll have to take a look at yours and see if it fits what I want better.

A lot of the advice you're going to get here really isn't that applicable if you're not doing the high end dungeons. Are you actually moving into tanking nightmare level dungeons, or are you still in the early stages of the game? What are you trying to make a build for?

I leveled with hammer/chaos and completed the entire story mission using the same setup. It gives you stuns, mobility, hit, and crit options, as well as dodge and block abilities. You can't really mess up too badly with your abilities, and if you do, you just gather up new ones and adjust.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

litany of gulps posted:

A lot of the advice you're going to get here really isn't that applicable if you're not doing the high end dungeons. Are you actually moving into tanking nightmare level dungeons, or are you still in the early stages of the game? What are you trying to make a build for?

I leveled with hammer/chaos and completed the entire story mission using the same setup. It gives you stuns, mobility, hit, and crit options, as well as dodge and block abilities. You can't really mess up too badly with your abilities, and if you do, you just gather up new ones and adjust.

That's very true. Taking into account undergeared I would focus a lot more on survival and the ability to hold threat. Unless you needed all the impairs I would take Stoicism as your elite. That lets you get some more thread to balance out phases you can't hit a boss and dps can go hog wild.

For chaos you would definitely want to take reality fracture. That's a high hate AoE ability although it is a pain in the rear end to use in the middle of combat (my opinion). It's a targeted AoE and while there is indeed a hotkey (that I forget) to set those to automatically cast on your target pressing ctrl turns it off. I use ctrl as my ptt key.

Hammer apparently has grandslam. It's a single target consumer that does an AoE if you attack a weakened target. Since you should be applying weakened with every hit you give the guy that AoE should always go off but I don't know how good it is I've never used it.

And provoke. You're going to want provoke in case you gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr Hootington posted:

Information overload is pretty standard when you decide to take an MMO seriously, and TSW is more intense than most, what with the insane skill combinations you have available to you. Just try not to panic. (I'm redoing my AR DPS/leech build today, and I'm nervous about changing anything. But also nervous about not changing anything, because what if I've been doing it all wrong? :ohdear:)

• Locked thread