Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarPilot87
Dec 31, 2012
I wonder if there's ever an Inspector Danger where there isn't someone guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Dick Tracy

One thing I've missed from the new Dick Tracy is the bizarre, fever dream-like art and pacing of Locher's run. Look at panel one, Mousse is clearly too large to fit in the bucket. In the succeeding panels, he fits easily. Did the bucket grow, or did Mousse shrink? It's all up to your interpretation of the scene. Not to mention Dick's all leg, no torso appearance as well.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Transmodiar posted:

Not BlankIsBeautiful - and that's the problem. :smug:

I really like BlankIsBeautiful's little comments on each strip, they're kind of a highlight, like RandomFerret's titles for each of his posts. I'd miss them if they stopped.

On a different note, hey, kids, comics! I just got my kickstarter Weapon Brown hardback from DeathRay! And it is beautiful, and well worth the wait, and came with a ton of extra swag.

Jason, your art is flat-out gorgeous. So much happening on each page and yet no clutter, no confusion, just perfect tonal balance and lines with an effortless-looking compositional flow, all in service to the story. I think Weapon Brown's plotting and writing is clever and well-done, but your art -- that is exceptional. You deserve that job working for MAD, because in my opinion you can hold your own among greats like Dave Berg and Sergio Aragones and the incomparable Wally Wood -- if you'd been born fifty or so years earlier you'd have worked for EC, and I don't know any higher compliment to give you.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 9, 2014

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

StarPilot87 posted:

I wonder if there's ever an Inspector Danger where there isn't someone guilty.

Those rich uncles with three heirs aren't going to kill themselves!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I'm calling it as Quatto from Total Recall. You heard it here first.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

bonestructure posted:

I really like BlankIsBeautiful's little comments on each strip, they're kind of a highlight, like RandomFerret's titles for each of his posts. I'd miss them if they stopped.

Yeah I don't find them weird or creepy at all.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Shadeoses posted:

Those rich uncles with three heirs aren't going to kill themselves!

Has there ever been a case where the rich uncle murdered all his heirs in self defense?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

bonestructure posted:

This.

And because content, Cheap Thrills Cuisine, June 25 2014. I haven't been posting these regularly because they've been boring and barely snarkworthy, but here, have this one:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

I think the solution to this setup last time was that everything in the bathroom is oriented for a left-handed person but the mug on the table is to the guy's right, so the escaped criminal was eating breakfast and had to hide quickly.

Inspector Danger, maybe you should have checked his other pants pocket for a sheet of wax paper. It's not a crime to enjoy the comb kazoo. :colbert:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

TofuDiva posted:

This.

And because content, Cheap Thrills Cuisine, June 25 2014. I haven't been posting these regularly because they've been boring and barely snarkworthy, but here, have this one:

Hey, it's a CTC where the finished product doesn't look like a prop from a Cronenburg film.

Achievement earned!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TofuDiva posted:

This.

That's not marinated at all! :argh:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
At this point I'm just waiting for Sam Vimes to come and arrest Inspector Danger for crimes against detectoring.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm calling it as Quatto from Total Recall. You heard it here first.
Mary... start the reactor...

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Simian_Prime posted:

Hey, it's a CTC where the finished product doesn't look like a prop from a Cronenburg film.

Achievement earned!

On the other hand, while it sounds tasty, it barely qualifies as a recipe. "Put some dressing on some tomatoes." Great.

Here's a Pardon My Planet that doesn't dump only the woman, so that's nice:

And a comment:

:bravo:

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Somebody post some comics stat!

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

We're too late. The writing flatlined already.

Pibgorn

In today's wacky adventure, Pibgorn can't pry her hands apart because she managed to super-glue them again.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mr. Squishy posted:

The answer to those, and all other questions of missing strips, is that posting a strip every day is boring and unrewarding.
It's true. It is.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Oh boy! Cyst removal! Thanks, Dad!"

Rex Morgan MD

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

"And you stuck it in her?"

Quality dialogue from the man who brought us "Did you anoint the stick?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"The hospital?" Well where else would you go? :confused:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tiggum posted:

The local witch, but I guess they've already been to see Mary.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Tiggum posted:

This is America, remember. Day trip to Canada/Australia/Lebanon/Somewhere else with UHC.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Literally the first time I have ever laughed at Piranha Club.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Maybe Briscoe likes to manscape; did you even think of that possibility, Inspector?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a razor out. Maybe the guy just recently shaved his head and the pants with the comb in the pocket are still on the coathanger (wtf, incidentally. Yeah, end of a long day, you come home, you take off your coat and pants and hang 'em up, no biggie) from before. Dude doesn't make his bed properly, it stands to reason he'd also not put his pants away.

e: and what the hell, "only one bed." "Joe buddy, nice job getting out, sure you can crash here, let's go to IKEA and buy you a bed and set it up next to mine."

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 9, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where's Dan Dare? Where's Modesty Blaise? I miss reading those adventures. :smith:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

[Class reunion] [Come! Refresh your memories!]
- That blood reminds me of how I sawed my finger in handicraft class

Verestää is a verb that means "to refresh (memories)". I think it sounds like, uh, "enblooden". To make something bloody - or rather, to make blood flow in something. Veri means "blood", verestä (elative case) means "from blood". It's also the imperative case of verestää. "Memories from blood!"

By the way, even though they're written the same, the stress on the last mora is slightly different because of their respective functions. Well, at least it is in my dialect, ymmv. If verestä is a verb, it's pronounced more like "veresm muistoja" (with a sandhi), whereas as a noun it's "verestä muistoja". I don't think a native speaker even could confuse the two if they hear them spoken, and this or similar rules apply to a lot of the jokes in Fingerpori.

Fok_It

tiistai fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 9, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Where's Dan Dare? Where's Modesty Blaise? I miss reading those adventures. :smith:

Bitchtits stopped posting in March. He's still around the forums, though.

I don't know what happened to whoever was responsible for Modesty.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Kammat was posting Modesty Blaise, I asked about it a while ago and Kammat has decided to take a break. I miss Modesty and Willie too. :smith:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Never fear I will never stop posting Mike du Jour!

and probably Monty

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Usually it's :lol: but when ernesto shows, it's :ughh:

Creeps :stare:

Poptropica :v:

This is MUCH more rewarding than trying to come up with something pithy every day. Blankisbeautiful keep shinin' on you crazy diamond. (see if you can work in :shrek: to your commentary, usually applicable to Holbrook, so should be easy :D)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears

The Dinette Set

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dark.

I think my only schtick is yelling at Funky Winkerbean. Anyway, comics.

Cow and Boy

Sherman's Lagoon

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I like it when posters comment on the strips they post. I don't generally have anything clever to say about Howard the Duck that it doesn't say for itself, though.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

This is MUCH more rewarding than trying to come up with something pithy every day. Blankisbeautiful keep shinin' on you crazy diamond. (see if you can work in :shrek: to your commentary, usually applicable to Holbrook, so should be easy :D)

I'm not sure I can use that line just yet, but, I haven't looked at the comics yet today, so we'll see. Upon further analysis, I guess I address the cartoonist directly because what we're reading are his/her thoughts, observations, sense of humor, etc., not the characters in the strips. So, when Wiley draws a comic that IMHO is really dumb or incomprehensible, my comment is directed at him. And Paige, and Holbrook, and Brooke, and Bernard. I use :ughh: a lot because, well, sometimes the joke's so bad that I find myself literally making the same gesture as Picard -- usually accompanied by the phrase "Oh, jeeze". That particular emoticon nails it. The Neil deGrasse Tyson gifs are saved for particularly bad ones.

Oh, I have a new one ripped off from YOSPOS:

Not sure where I'll use it yet, but I'm sure something will come up. :v:

RE Dan Dare I pm'd Bitchtits about it awhile back, and didn't get a response, so I didn't push the issue. I'm going to look and see what I can pick up on Amazon or whatever. As soon as I do that, I'll scan and post. I'm not sure if I can get to where we left off (I'm not even sure where that was to begin with). I seriously miss reading that comic, though, so I'm sure I can come up with something.

And, yeah, nth-ing the love for Modesty Blaise! I really miss that strip, too.

Right enough preaching and self-analysis, comix!

Jane's World

Well, at least the plot's moving forward, and hasn't looped in on itself... yet.

Non Sequitur

Nope. Not gonna do it. God I want to though, and I did just say "Oh geeze.." :v:

Dual Heavenly Nostrils today.

Sue is awesome!

Ok, that was funny!

Kliban

Ok, I gut-laughed at that. Kliban's always a cool surprise for me. Since it's not following any kind of a story arc, you don't know if it's going to be weird, or hilarious, or what.

9 Chickweed Lane 7/9/2003

"Irrefutable documentation"? Thanks, Brooke.

Zits

Christ, what the hell are they watching? I watch (well, re-watching) Mad Men, and Breaking Bad with my kids all the time. I'm not a GoT fan though. Just never got into the show.

Kevin & Kell

Uh, right.

Oh, I dunno, I'd like to hear more about that, I think. :v:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Uh, right.

Is that supposed to be a joke about Swingers?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 7/9/2003

"Irrefutable documentation"? Thanks, Brooke.

Wasn't Edda still in high school at this point? "Oh yeah, dad's dating a 16 year old, nbd."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

Christ, what the hell are they watching? I watch (well, re-watching) Mad Men, and Breaking Bad with my kids all the time. I'm not a GoT fan though. Just never got into the show.

HBO has developed a reputation lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUBiOOx0Pxw

• Locked thread